[Today at 08:17:02 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by bilsu
[Today at 07:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 05:04:53 PM]

NIL Future by MU82
[Today at 03:21:43 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Friars thoughts  (Read 27763 times)

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
Re: Friars thoughts
« Reply #100 on: March 02, 2015, 09:33:00 PM »
I don't think we will settle the SOS debate unless Chico can get Jerry to calculate 1987-88. However, if MU a loses out (let's hope not but it is trending that way, especially with the injuries):

>> MU will finish 8-9 at home and 1-9 on the road. Piano Man's band finished 9-7 at home and 1-11 on the road.
>>MU's home wins this year were over UT Martin, NJIT, ASU, Alabama A&M, North Dakota, Morgan State, Providence and Creighton. In 1987-88, the home wins were over Hartford, Xavier, Western Michigan, Northwestern, Air Force, Miami FL, Wake Forest, Canisius and Dayton.
>>The 87-88 team's longest loss streak was 6 in a row, with the home loss streak being 4 in a row. MU will potentially lose 8 in a row (6 currently) and 7 in a row at home (5 now).

So we can argue SOS metrics, but they are less relevant if you don't win....and the home wins by this team are mainly over dogs except that Providence win (ASU will be .500). If MU can win two more to go with the neutral site wins, then I will defer to the Dukiet year. However, this year's home record is simply the tie breaker for me.

Whether 51 years or 28, we are a spoiled bunch.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #101 on: March 02, 2015, 09:42:12 PM »
FWIW, the current losing streak is at 5, not 6.

Is this team bad? Yeah, they are. But it's a threadbare roster with 4 guys (Derrick, Juan, Steve, Jajuan) that on most high-major teams are at best bench players. On this team they average 106.6 minutes. Over half our minutes are going to guys that, in the words of Dante, "Aren't even supposed to be here today."

I love the effort. Those 4 guys have all played over their heads at time and kept us in games we had no right to be in. I don't have clear memories of 1988, but I can't compare the two simply because Dukiet had a full compliment of players and had a full year to get his system established.

No, this kind of losing isn't fun for anyone, but there's a lot of promise here, there's been a lot of improvement, and there's reasons to be optimistic. In a season this bad, I'll definitely take optimism for the future over the downward spiral that 87-88 seemed to be.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #102 on: March 02, 2015, 09:44:53 PM »
This year's schedule is just far superior in all respects.  Most of those teams were just not good.  I've seen both seasons.  2014-15 wins easily.  And, don't throw ome contrived facts at me.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #103 on: March 02, 2015, 09:48:55 PM »
FWIW, the current losing streak is at 5, not 6.

The current longest losing streak is six earlier in the season, broken by the SH road win. If MU loses out the next three, it would top that (two at home and one in the BET) to make 8.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #104 on: March 02, 2015, 09:57:33 PM »

But it's a threadbare roster with 4 guys (Derrick, Juan, Steve, Jajuan) that on most high-major teams are at best bench players.

Jajuan? Bench player?

If he were getting 35 mpg, we'd be 28-0 right now!!!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #105 on: March 02, 2015, 10:05:33 PM »
This year's schedule is just far superior in all respects.  Most of those teams were just not good.  I've seen both seasons.  2014-15 wins easily.  And, don't throw ome contrived facts at me.

What are the "contrived facts"? The quality of the teams MU lost to this year or the lack of quality home wins? Pomeroy rankings of the home wins: 167, 178, 63, 330, 319, 338, 41, 95. Throw in a St. John's and a DU win, and the argument is settled, I agree.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #106 on: March 02, 2015, 11:23:25 PM »
What are the "contrived facts"? The quality of the teams MU lost to this year or the lack of quality home wins? Pomeroy rankings of the home wins: 167, 178, 63, 330, 319, 338, 41, 95. Throw in a St. John's and a DU win, and the argument is settled, I agree.

Aren't you also ignoring a bunch of OT or games lost by one possession this year as well?

The 87-88 team was rarely in games they lost.  There is simply no comparison.

Jerry doesn't have the data to replicate it going back that far....he started his RPI work in the early 1990's.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #107 on: March 02, 2015, 11:27:01 PM »
I don't think we will settle the SOS debate unless Chico can get Jerry to calculate 1987-88. However, if MU a loses out (let's hope not but it is trending that way, especially with the injuries):

>> MU will finish 8-9 at home and 1-9 on the road. Piano Man's band finished 9-7 at home and 1-11 on the road.
>>MU's home wins this year were over UT Martin, NJIT, ASU, Alabama A&M, North Dakota, Morgan State, Providence and Creighton. In 1987-88, the home wins were over Hartford, Xavier, Western Michigan, Northwestern, Air Force, Miami FL, Wake Forest, Canisius and Dayton.
>>The 87-88 team's longest loss streak was 6 in a row, with the home loss streak being 4 in a row. MU will potentially lose 8 in a row (6 currently) and 7 in a row at home (5 now).

So we can argue SOS metrics, but they are less relevant if you don't win....and the home wins by this team are mainly over dogs except that Providence win (ASU will be .500). If MU can win two more to go with the neutral site wins, then I will defer to the Dukiet year. However, this year's home record is simply the tie breaker for me.

Whether 51 years or 28, we are a spoiled bunch.

Agree with the spoiled bunch part.  Who we lost to this year or then in terms of the names of the teams is irrelevent.  Same for the wins.  Beating Wake Forest in 1987 was not a big deal, nor was beating Northwestern...much harder to beat Northwestern today.  Same goes for Miami (FL).   The schedules aren't close.  We played 15 NCAA tournament games this year, just 7 back in 1987-88.  In many of those games this year, we played down to the wire when healthy.  Not the case in 87-88.

Yes, we've been spoiled....did I say I agree with that part?

mattyv1908

• All American
« Reply #108 on: March 02, 2015, 11:29:12 PM »
Enough with arguing over which season is the sh!ttiest.

Does Henton remind anyone here of Matthews his senior season?  I Really think Cooley has the makings of a program poised to make a serious jump into national prominence the next few seasons.
Shut this board down at the opening tip.  If they win, open it back up.  If they lose, keep it shut it down until the next morning.  - Sultan of Slurpery

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #109 on: March 03, 2015, 07:51:35 AM »
Enough with arguing over which season is the sh!ttiest.

Does Henton remind anyone here of Matthews his senior season?  I Really think Cooley has the makings of a program poised to make a serious jump into national prominence the next few seasons.

Sorry if too pedantic on that argument. Chicos and I view it as more history than a passing match.  Some history is good, some bad. Has been a great run. Will move on.

Anyway, Cooley has done a great job.  Reloaded quickly and is in good shape going forward. I doubt he will leave but PC will have to pay him.

In our first game, the 1-3-1 trap surprised Dunn. This game, they were ready for it knowing the back of that extended zone is its vulnerability as Henton had a field day. MU went 2-3 but extended it too far which left the seams and glass open.
The Wes comparison is a good one as he has a knack of finding open space or seam.  A glider.  Don't know if he has the range of Wes to play the perimeter though.

mattyv1908

• All American
« Reply #110 on: March 03, 2015, 09:41:31 AM »
Sorry if too pedantic on that argument. Chicos and I view it as more history than a passing match.  Some history is good, some bad. Has been a great run. Will move on.

Anyway, Cooley has done a great job.  Reloaded quickly and is in good shape going forward. I doubt he will leave but PC will have to pay him.

In our first game, the 1-3-1 trap surprised Dunn. This game, they were ready for it knowing the back of that extended zone is its vulnerability as Henton had a field day. MU went 2-3 but extended it too far which left the seams and glass open.
The Wes comparison is a good one as he has a knack of finding open space or seam.  A glider.  Don't know if he has the range of Wes to play the perimeter though.

If I recall correctly, when Wes clawed his way onto an NBA roster neither did he as even though they loved his defense/hustle that got him unexpected minutes, come crunch time he often was replaced with better shooting options.

Wes worked hard on his shooting and now he's 4th in made threes this season to go along with shooting .394 tied for 21st from behind the arc.  I think Henton can and will develop that aspect of his game at the next level.
Shut this board down at the opening tip.  If they win, open it back up.  If they lose, keep it shut it down until the next morning.  - Sultan of Slurpery

feedback