'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Friars thoughts  (Read 27774 times)

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
Re: Friars thoughts
« Reply #50 on: March 01, 2015, 06:19:09 PM »
He's still thinking about 51 years of futility, sometimes things get lost.  

I love ya Blackheart....I'm teasing

You really still think this team is better than that Dukiet team with Tony Smith, Pop Sims, Powell, et al? On track for the first 20 loss season since...51 years ago. Only the second 20 loss season in MU's history if the losses continue...let's hope you win this one.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #51 on: March 01, 2015, 06:32:00 PM »
According to resident moron Ners, JJJ's problems are a result of bad coaching. I see a very overrated HS player who struggles at the high major level college level.

Who cares what Ners would say?  He gowne, and we're all blessed for it.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

mcderjim

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #52 on: March 01, 2015, 06:32:46 PM »
Wojo has Trophies for everybody !!!!   Taylor is not D1 talent so he is invited to move on. Worse than Juan. Cohen and Luke questionable. Hope we have better players to support the Ellensons. That's the facts. This team sucks ! Diener was my favorite player of all time. He must be embarrassed.

Jables1604

• Team Captain
« Reply #53 on: March 01, 2015, 06:37:19 PM »
And Mcderjim you are invited to go back into the hole from which you crawled...

muhoops1

• All American
« Reply #54 on: March 01, 2015, 06:45:34 PM »
Wojo inherited this mess he did not create it.  He gets a hall pass.  He can hardly game plan with the rosters with which he is forced to compete.  I don't know how that gets misconstrued.

MUeng

• All American
« Reply #55 on: March 01, 2015, 06:49:22 PM »
Wojo inherited this mess he did not create it.  He gets a hall pass.  He can hardly game plan with the rosters with which he is forced to compete.  I don't know how that gets misconstrued.
yup. As much as we love mu, we aren't duke, kansas, or kentucky. We rebuild instead of reload. Unfortunately that's what we're going through. Might take a few years but we'll be back

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #56 on: March 01, 2015, 06:51:43 PM »
Yes, Wojo inherited this mess, which we can thank the phony cowboy. But he has not done much with it. So far, he has done a good job on the recruiting trail. By the end of next year, after we see the performance next year, and his 2nd recruiting class.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

Wojo'sMojo

• All American
« Reply #57 on: March 01, 2015, 07:00:13 PM »
It is.  That and the fact that he has higher FG% and 3-pt%, a better A/TO ratio and is a better rebounder and defender than a certain 4-star guard who has been getting 25+ mpg consistently....

Plenty of guys to criticize lately, but Derrick isn't one of them.

Why is he beyond criticism? He's terrible period. Next year will be addition by subtraction.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #58 on: March 01, 2015, 07:03:08 PM »
You really still think this team is better than that Dukiet team with Tony Smith, Pop Sims, Powell, et al? On track for the first 20 loss season since...51 years ago. Only the second 20 loss season in MU's history if the losses continue...let's hope you win this one.

We play more games now than we did then, so saying 20 losses isn't a fair comparison.

Tony Smith was a very good player, but only a sophomore for the 1987-88 Bob Dukiet team went 10-18 (only played 28 games)...Pop Sims was arrested, Tony Reeder academically ineligible, Powell was a freshman.

That team lost to:

Iona
Fordham
Loyola Ill at home   (they were 13-16 that year)
Loyola Marymount  at home   (yes, they were good that year, going 1-1 in the NCAAs)
Evansville
Valparaiso  (12-16 that year)
Creighton at home (.500 team that year)
Cleveland State (at home)  (NIT team that year)
Dayton (13-18 team that year)
DePaul twice
Virginia Tech (at home)
Notre Dame twice
K-State
Minnesota
etc, etc

I think the schedules were not comparable, IMO.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #59 on: March 01, 2015, 07:19:42 PM »
Wojo has Trophies for everybody !!!!   Taylor is not D1 talent so he is invited to move on. Worse than Juan. Cohen and Luke questionable. Hope we have better players to support the Ellensons. That's the facts. This team sucks ! Diener was my favorite player of all time. He must be embarrassed.

Taylor was offered by Iowa, DePaul, Xavier, Missouri, Northwestern, and others.  He is most certainly a DI talent, but unfortunately injuries have hurt him.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #60 on: March 01, 2015, 07:20:18 PM »
I think the schedules were not comparable, IMO.

Agreed.  In 87-88, we played a mostly mid-major schedule, and had plenty of losses against sub-.500 teams.  This year, we are in one of the top conferences in the country and had non-conference games against top 25 teams.  By the end, close to half of our games will be against teams that Dance.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #61 on: March 01, 2015, 07:30:06 PM »
Why is he beyond criticism? He's terrible period. Next year will be addition by subtraction.

Kinda of like when you decide not to post.

Wojo'sMojo

• All American
« Reply #62 on: March 01, 2015, 07:32:13 PM »

Aww you're hurting my feelings Scoop Stalker.

bradley center bat

• All American
« Reply #63 on: March 01, 2015, 07:40:01 PM »
JJJ and Cohen couldn't have been much worse. I still think both will contribute in the future.
I think Cohen has a very bright future, JJJ not sure.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #64 on: March 01, 2015, 07:44:14 PM »
Aww you're hurting my feelings Scoop Stalker.

Says the guy who responded (with the same drivel) in two minutes and seven seconds.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #65 on: March 01, 2015, 07:44:29 PM »

+1
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #66 on: March 01, 2015, 08:03:12 PM »

Nobody is beyond criticism.  You just happen to be in the habit of continually criticizing one of the more productive and consistent players on our team.  Yeah that's unfortunate, but it's true.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #67 on: March 01, 2015, 08:11:14 PM »
Taylor was offered by Iowa, DePaul, Xavier, Missouri, Northwestern, and others.  He is most certainly a DI talent, but unfortunately injuries have hurt him.

Not only injuries but playing out of position.  There are flashes of real talent from Teve when he can play with Luke.  Next year Teve will be a quality contributor IMHO
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #68 on: March 01, 2015, 08:12:11 PM »
That 1987 team played (in today's conferences): three B1G teams, one SEC, five ACC games, one Big 12, two A10, and four Big East games. And the cupcakes were fewer and better (Horizon, MVC, MAC). Those Loyola Marmount teams under Westhead were very, very good as well. So, the SOS would be very close if you consider the cupcakes MU played this season.

Yet, this team has lost more in a row in total and at home, something not seen since 1963-64, which is clearly MU's worst season in its history. Losing 20 is horrible in an era, more games or not. You cannot explain that away especially as the margins of the losses are increasing at the end here. Both teams had attrition but the 1987 team was deeper with a full roster, granted the makeup was skewed to seniors and freshmen.

http://wiki.muscoop.com/doku.php/men_s_basketball/1963

mcderjim

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #69 on: March 01, 2015, 08:29:32 PM »
Wojo needs to hear the extreme dissatisfaction from the alumni...not the excuses for poor performance. Need to keep him on his toes since he's in a program that spends Top 10 $$$$ on its program. Watching this years team with turnovers, poor ball handling and poor game closing, I'm not sure he can earn his high salary.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #70 on: March 01, 2015, 08:42:09 PM »
So, the SOS would be very close if you consider the cupcakes MU played this season.

According to both Pomeroy and Sagarin we have played the 12th most difficult schedule in the country this season....I doubt you could say the Dukiet teamed played something close to that.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #71 on: March 01, 2015, 09:07:21 PM »
That 1987 team played (in today's conferences): three B1G teams, one SEC, five ACC games, one Big 12, two A10, and four Big East games.

But back then, many of our opponents were still mid-majors.  Pointing out that they're in major conferences today is irrelevant to where they were in '87.

Kinda doubt you'd find our SOS was 12 that season....

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #72 on: March 01, 2015, 09:29:04 PM »
That 1987 team played (in today's conferences): three B1G teams, one SEC, five ACC games, one Big 12, two A10, and four Big East games. And the cupcakes were fewer and better (Horizon, MVC, MAC). Those Loyola Marmount teams under Westhead were very, very good as well. So, the SOS would be very close if you consider the cupcakes MU played this season.

Yet, this team has lost more in a row in total and at home, something not seen since 1963-64, which is clearly MU's worst season in its history. Losing 20 is horrible in an era, more games or not. You cannot explain that away especially as the margins of the losses are increasing at the end here. Both teams had attrition but the 1987 team was deeper with a full roster, granted the makeup was skewed to seniors and freshmen.

http://wiki.muscoop.com/doku.php/men_s_basketball/1963

Sorry, again I just cannot see how you are comparing the too.  It's wonderful to say those teams came from those conferences.  Northwestern was beyond bad.  Minnesota was terrible, finishing 10-18 and 9th place in the Big Ten that year but managed to beat us by 24 points that season.  Tennessee was marginal at best. 

Sportsreference rating system rated us 144th out of 290 that year.

This year's team, 77th out of 351.

There is just no comparison.

Maybe the better way to look at it instead of assigning what conference they played in which doesn't mean much.  How many teams in 1987-88 were NCAA tournament bound vs this year's opponents.  I realize there are 4 extra teams admitted today, but let's take a look

1987-88 NCAA tournament opponents for MU.  6 games against NCAA participants.  DePaul (2), Notre Dame (2), Loyola Marymount, Kansas State.  That's it

2014-15 NCAA tournament opponents for MU (likely).   13 games and I'm not including Xavier in there whom I think will make it.  If they do, that's 15 games.  Michigan State, Wisconsin, Ohio State, Providence (2), Georgetown (2), Villanova (2), St. John's (2), Butler (2).  Most experts think we have 6 teams going....that would make 15 games.

I just don't see how you can compare the two....I really don't.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #73 on: March 01, 2015, 09:30:47 PM »
So, the SOS would be very close if you consider the cupcakes MU played this season.

According to both Pomeroy and Sagarin we have played the 12th most difficult schedule in the country this season....I doubt you could say the Dukiet teamed played something close to that.

You are correct

sportsreference says in 1987-88 we played the 98th best schedule out of 290. 

http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/marquette/1988.html

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #74 on: March 01, 2015, 09:31:27 PM »
But back then, many of our opponents were still mid-majors.  Pointing out that they're in major conferences today is irrelevant to where they were in '87.

Kinda doubt you'd find our SOS was 12 that season....

Except Miami, FL, who was an independent in basketball then or high mids, all those majors were majors back then. That team had Tito Horford and was coached by Bill Foster. The exception is the new Big East, but DePaul and Xavier made NCAA runs then. CU was mid-major then, so I will give you that one.

Where do you see this year's SOS is 12 this year?  I see it is at 39-42 depending on the service.

feedback