Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Friars thoughts  (Read 27776 times)

GGGG

• All American
Re: Friars thoughts
« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2015, 05:04:11 PM »
End of a ten game win streak versus PC. Duane is gonna be a star.

We lost to them in 2OT toward the end of last season.

muspc

• Walk-On
« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2015, 05:09:09 PM »
     All through this year there hasn't been a true semblance of a legitimate offense. Not to sound harsh on Derek and Juan, but they simply have not been the level of talented senior leadership to teach the newcomers (Sandy, Luke, Duane and JJJ) how to win by example. Other than Derek, no one has had even starter minutes before this year. And playing four on five all year is no way to develop an offense. There is no wonder that Matt, and lately Duane, have had to work to throw up threes, as that is really Marquette's best chance to score. I would not write off JJJ. because as much as he is not a finished product by any means, he has improved over the year. He has played enough to be taught the right way, seeing how over penetration and wild shots are not the way to go if you want to play high major competition. Duane is a red shirt freshman who had no experience before this year, and Sandy shows improvement over the course of his freshman year. They all can use an off season knowing when and how to feed Luke, and when and how Luke should pass back out to an open teammate.
     It is impossible to gauge this "team" to extrapolate what the team will be next year (at the least we hope they have a point guard  who can at least hit foul shots and be a legitimate threat to hit from the outside when open), because one would hope there will be major changes. We can only hope (if not expect) that with coaching and instruction the players who will return will be in a position to make better use of the remaining two or three years of their college careers.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2015, 05:10:31 PM »
End of a ten game win streak versus PC. Duane is gonna be a star.

We lost to PC last year....in OT IIRC

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2015, 05:10:48 PM »
 It's also somewhat sad that a RS Freshman seems to be the closest thing we have to a vocal leader.

warriorfan 14

• Starter
« Reply #29 on: March 01, 2015, 05:11:05 PM »
Invites to the MU BBall team for 2015-16:  Duane Wilson, Luke Fischer (needs to improve significantly),  Cohen (needs to improve significantly). All the rest can find a new team (probably Div 3) or transfer. That is the reality of this pitiful team

unfortunately we have so few players that we need everyone back but you are right. very little talent right now on this team and none of these players besides duane and luke (maybe cohen) have shown much hope for the future. wojo better hope he hits a few home runs with his recruiting

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #30 on: March 01, 2015, 05:14:09 PM »

Damn, that is right. I was looking at the Wiki and it wasn't updated through that loss and I didn't notice the year.  Although painful, that was a damn good college game.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #31 on: March 01, 2015, 05:15:16 PM »
Luke will be fine once het gets some help......needs to get stronger and develope his game just like everyone else but he is already a good low post scorer and shot blocker

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #32 on: March 01, 2015, 05:18:06 PM »
Carlino and Duane were the only players who cared.  Wojo needs to recruit bigger, tougher, meaner players that can dominate.  This team plays like high school sophomores.  It's sad to see the team play decline as the year goes on.  It's our worse year in a long time.  It's hard to think next year will be any better.  Wojo seems to be in way over his head.

Superfan

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #33 on: March 01, 2015, 05:19:26 PM »
Luke had 2 rebounds in 25 minutes.  That has to change.

warriorfan 14

• Starter
« Reply #34 on: March 01, 2015, 05:21:51 PM »
Carlino and Duane were the only players who cared.  Wojo needs to recruit bigger, tougher, meaner players that can dominate.  This team plays like high school sophomores.  It's sad to see the team play decline as the year goes on.  It's our worse year in a long time.  It's hard to think next year will be any better.  Wojo seems to be in way over his head.

agree completely. wojo is definitely over his head with this team but in all fairness a lot of coaches would be. duane, luke, and carlino are the only big east caliber players, the rest are at horizon league level

chapman

• All American
« Reply #35 on: March 01, 2015, 05:24:36 PM »
All the rest can find a new team (probably Div 3) or transfer. That is the reality of this pitiful team

You mean both of them?  I hope they stay; don't want three returning players and the only upperclassman to have part of a season in total experience.

Wojo'sMojo

• All American
« Reply #36 on: March 01, 2015, 05:25:26 PM »
It's also somewhat sad that a RS Freshman seems to be the closest thing we have to a vocal leader.

I thought that one of Derrick's redeeming qualities was outstanding leadership?

VegasWarrior77

• All American
« Reply #37 on: March 01, 2015, 05:28:04 PM »
I always love to see the double-digit posters come out of hiding.
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein

warriorfan 14

• Starter
« Reply #38 on: March 01, 2015, 05:33:45 PM »
I always love to see the double-digit posters come out of hiding.

yes because only people with lots of posts follow the program or care. could be that some are new to this site or only posts thoughts during and after games....

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #39 on: March 01, 2015, 05:36:32 PM »
agree completely. wojo is definitely over his head with this team but in all fairness a lot of coaches would be. duane, luke, and carlino are the only big east caliber players, the rest are at horizon league level

The only grade I can give Wojo for his game performance as a coach is an incomplete.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #40 on: March 01, 2015, 05:36:45 PM »
I thought that one of Derrick's redeeming qualities was outstanding leadership?

It is.  That and the fact that he has higher FG% and 3-pt%, a better A/TO ratio and is a better rebounder and defender than a certain 4-star guard who has been getting 25+ mpg consistently....

Plenty of guys to criticize lately, but Derrick isn't one of them.

mcderjim

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #41 on: March 01, 2015, 05:45:40 PM »
I blame this disaster on the Marquette leadership all the way up to President and AD. MU has been successful due to the efforts of some incredible coaches including o'Neill, Crean and Buzz. I have to say Buzz may have turned out to be a user/abuser for his own benefit. As in any business, and MU BBall is an extremely successful business, results matter.  The reality is that we may have three or four players next year that will make a difference for a program that spends Top 10 $$$$ in the country on BBall. The only way for MU alumini can make a true impact is to hurt MU in the pocket book. Stop going to games ! Stop donating money ! Challenge the status quo ! I need to see more desire from Wojo as I saw today in the breaks. He has to be frustrated beyond belief. Dude, carry this energy over to delivering a team that has that same energy. It appears to me, most players are happy to have scholarships. Winning Matters ! What we have now is not good enough for me !!!!

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #42 on: March 01, 2015, 05:49:03 PM »
OK, exactly how is this Lovell or Scholl's fault?  Lovell has only been in office about ten months, and School has only been around his September.  What exactly should either of them done to change the course of this "disaster?"
« Last Edit: March 01, 2015, 05:51:14 PM by The Sultan of Sunshine »

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #43 on: March 01, 2015, 05:49:55 PM »
I blame this disaster on the Marquette leadership all the way up to President and AD. MU has been successful due to the efforts of some incredible coaches including o'Neill, Crean and Buzz. I have to say Buzz may have turned out to be a user/abuser for his own benefit. As in any business, and MU BBall is an extremely successful business, results matter.  The reality is that we may have three or four players next year that will make a difference for a program that spends Top 10 $$$$ in the country on BBall. The only way for MU alumini can make a true impact is to hurt MU in the pocket book. Stop going to games ! Stop donating money ! Challenge the status quo ! I need to see more desire from Wojo as I saw today in the breaks. He has to be frustrated beyond belief. Dude, carry this energy over to delivering a team that has that same energy. It appears to me, most players are happy to have scholarships. Winning Matters ! What we have now is not good enough for me !!!!

Do not step back from the ledge

tower912

• All American
« Reply #44 on: March 01, 2015, 05:51:33 PM »
The color guy mentioned today that Derrick has a 4-1 a/TO ratio.   Today, 5-1.   Shame he is such a lousy shooter.   If he was an average shooter/ft shooter/3 pt shooter, ......grumblemumble.

JJJ got >25 minutes today.   Last two game combined:  50 minutes, 1-10 shooting.    Oddly enough, I haven't given up on him yet.   I see a young guy getting worn out playing against physically stronger players.   That can be fixed, but he has to do it.    
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

NotBuzzWilliams

• Starter
« Reply #45 on: March 01, 2015, 05:52:54 PM »
Stopping by this board after a loss:

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #46 on: March 01, 2015, 05:59:12 PM »

SMH. Geez I hope you're not an alumni.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #47 on: March 01, 2015, 06:03:24 PM »

He's still thinking about 51 years of futility, sometimes things get lost.  

I love ya Blackheart....I'm teasing
« Last Edit: March 01, 2015, 06:06:19 PM by ChicosBailBonds »

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #48 on: March 01, 2015, 06:04:22 PM »
Invites to the MU BBall team for 2015-16:  Duane Wilson, Luke Fischer (needs to improve significantly),  Cohen (needs to improve significantly). All the rest can find a new team (probably Div 3) or transfer. That is the reality of this pitiful team

D3?  Come on dude, you're already approaching silly talk...that's beyond silly.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #49 on: March 01, 2015, 06:05:09 PM »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

feedback