[April 19, 2024, 11:09:03 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by Scoop Snoop
[April 19, 2024, 09:34:36 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Nukem2
[April 19, 2024, 09:24:02 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[April 19, 2024, 08:17:02 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Old BE record vs. New BE  (Read 4564 times)

geps

• Team Captain
  • Double down
Old BE record vs. New BE
« on: February 26, 2015, 07:08:10 AM »
We went 28-8 last two years of old Big East and now 12-21 in the new Big East so far. Sorry I don't understand how we can be this bad this fast.

tower912

• All American
Re: Old BE record vs. New BE
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2015, 07:25:00 AM »
A bad year followed by a coaching change and a roster upheaval while the other teams got better.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2015, 07:36:09 AM »
And things can turn back around just as quickly.  In '09-'10, Nova was 13-5.  By '11-'12, they were 5-13.  By '13-'14, they were 16-2.

It's the nature of college hoops.  Not many teams can do it every year, especially with coaching changes.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2015, 07:37:56 AM »
Besides Luke Fisher and sometimes Duane Wilson, little Carlino, rest of the players are not good enough.  JJJ and Cohen are 2 weaklings, Derrick is Derrick, Juan brings nothing, Steve Taylor
below average, so what do you have, a bad team.  The team will look totally different next year, better probably but still needs some help.  I am pretty sure this is eating Wojo up, he will be
out recruiting as much as he can.  He for sure can offer playing time.  I can see why Buzz left

BallBoy

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2015, 07:38:12 AM »
Pretty simple. The team lost 3 of its best players. The next way of upperclassman leaders didn't step up to take their place. Vander was replaced in all reality by Jack Thomas. Junior by Derrick. Lockett by Juan and spot freshman minutes.  The team needed to get Gardner more time so they tried the four with OTule but that didn't work.

The team then losses their next best players Gardner, Mayo, OTule, Wilson(no in any order). The previous class wasn't lighting the world on fire and then you have a coaching change and you lost 3/4 if the next class. You have the 9-10 best players from the Elite 8 team in your top 5 and you have not replaced the players with better players.

In other words in three years you turned over almost all of team and the new roster isn't better players.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2015, 08:35:19 AM »
Pretty simple. The team lost 3 of its best players. The next way of upperclassman leaders didn't step up to take their place. Vander was replaced in all reality by Jack Thomas. Junior by Derrick. Lockett by Juan and spot freshman minutes.  The team needed to get Gardner more time so they tried the four with OTule but that didn't work.

The team then losses their next best players Gardner, Mayo, OTule, Wilson(no in any order). The previous class wasn't lighting the world on fire and then you have a coaching change and you lost 3/4 if the next class. You have the 9-10 best players from the Elite 8 team in your top 5 and you have not replaced the players with better players.

In other words in three years you turned over almost all of team and the new roster isn't better players.
Thanks to the phony goober Cowboy!
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

source?

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2015, 09:28:56 AM »
The rubbery soft skin of a dolphin is easy on the knuckles and makes a great undersea punching bag.

Oh, I thought we were just stating obvious/ridiculous bullsh*t here.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2015, 09:34:54 AM »
Well of course our record's gone down! We don't have easy wins over WVU, UConn, Cuse, Cinci, ND, or Pitt.  How are we supposed to look good without having those guys to pad our resume
Maigh Eo for Sam

the eagle

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2015, 01:39:57 PM »
Well of course our record's gone down! We don't have easy wins over WVU, UConn, Cuse, Cinci, ND, or Pitt.  How are we supposed to look good without having those guys to pad our resume

Can you imagine if we were in the old BE?  A clean home/away round robin schedule was not played. Based on who we have beat this year we have 2 old BE wins, and one was at home. With the old BE scheduling we potentially could not have even seen those games.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2015, 01:42:36 PM »
Can you imagine if we were in the old BE?  A clean home/away round robin schedule was not played. Based on who we have beat this year we have 2 old BE wins, and one was at home. With the old BE scheduling we potentially could not have even seen those games.

Idk Cuse blows this year and USF is still USF. I think it works itself out. Though heck of a lot close losses and more getting blown off the floor
Maigh Eo for Sam

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2015, 08:39:16 AM »
We went 28-8 last two years of old Big East and now 12-21 in the new Big East so far. Sorry I don't understand how we can be this bad this fast.

1. Two subpar recruiting years by Buzz resulting in a weak group of seniors and juniors on this year's roster, plus

2. Loss of 3/4's or 4/5's of a very good freshman class when Buzz bolted.

Equals a roster too limited for success.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2015, 08:48:40 AM »
Another big factor is that a lot of schools, that were cupcakes in the Old Big East, have used the new conference as a way to reinvigorate enthusiasm and excitement into their basketball programs.  Seton Hall, Providence and DePaul were all near the bottom of the conference before the Catholic schools broke away.  With just 10 teams now, compared to the 16 schools that were a part of it in 2012, more teams have an opportunity to compete and be successful.

Seton Hall and Providence, especially, have gotten really solid recruiting classes since the breakaway.  The cool thing about the New Big East is that, in any given year, any team can really be successful.  There is no Rutgers, USF, Virginia Tech, or any other traditionally weak basketball programs etc. to bring the conference down.  Each school is a basketball school.

Creighton was a top team last year in the Big East.  This year they are a bottom team.  I expect that kind of parity to continue (hopefully allowing Marquette to be a top team next year).

RubyWiscy

• Team Captain
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2015, 01:30:39 PM »
I don't necessarily agree that the players recruited by Buzz the last few years were subpar. There were several pieces that were supposed to be important that left early or no-showed i.e Blue, McCay, Burton, et al. Team would have been much more competitive had everyone stayed IMHO.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2015, 02:01:20 PM »
I don't necessarily agree that the players recruited by Buzz the last few years were subpar. There were several pieces that were supposed to be important that left early or no-showed i.e Blue, McCay, Burton, et al. Team would have been much more competitive had everyone stayed IMHO.

I think the problem was as much personality as anything else. Last year's team had absolutely zero leadership. Davante, Jamil, Mayo, none of those guys were leaders. There was no one on that team that would take you by the bootstraps and will themselves and others to victory. The guy who would lead them declared for the draft.

This year, you do have a definite talent deficiency. But how much of that is a product of Buzz leaving. Been thinking about this the past couple days, and I believe the 2014 Marquette recruiting class that never was may have been Buzz's best recruiting class. Sandy is a legitimate bench contributor as a freshman. Ahmed Hill looks like a legit player. Satchel Pierce has earned quality minutes as a freshman and was the one guy on Va Tech that could hang with Okafor the other night. And Marial Shayok looks like that ideal Buzz switchable that does some of everything and will be very good for Virginia.

As good as some of Buzz's classes were, 2014 was likely his best recruiting job. Seems a touch ironic that he did his best work as a recruiter, then undid it all by leaving Marquette.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2015, 02:33:26 PM »
The rubbery soft skin of a dolphin is easy on the knuckles and makes a great undersea punching bag.

Oh, I thought we were just stating obvious/ridiculous bullsh*t here.

The human female is one of only three mammals that experiences menopause along with the humpback whale and the elephant.

I'm no scientist, but I believe this means that Honey Boo Boo's mom will go through menopause three times.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2015, 05:24:15 PM »
The human female is one of only three mammals that experiences menopause along with the humpback whale and the elephant.

I'm no scientist, but I believe this means that Honey Boo Boo's mom will go through menopause three times.

When women put MEN on PAUSE

feedback