'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Big East 23-24 NCAA and NIT Results by Herman Cain
[Today at 06:15:50 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by The Lens
[Today at 05:12:28 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Butler thoughts  (Read 21562 times)

Aughnanure

• All American
Re: Butler thoughts
« Reply #75 on: February 26, 2015, 09:59:41 AM »
Yep--that worked out for you last year--you are now signed up for the toilet chute. 17-15 punches your ticket, along with the phony BS of Buzz as the endorsement.

You are the definition of instant gratification. Did you even enjoy the sweet 16 years?
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

connie

• All American
« Reply #76 on: February 26, 2015, 10:06:37 AM »
I just don't know what people expect Wojo to do.  Everyone says "he isn't making adjustments."

Like what?  There are 8 guys on the team.  There were 6 against Nova.  What adjustments can he make?  He's already changed defenses.  This is the worst shooting team Marquette has had in years, despite being a better 3 point shooting team since DJO was on the roster.  No one physical enough to attack the basket.  No one consistent enough from the outside.
I think lost in the "number of players argument" are the significant deficits that exist with the players we do have.  You point out some of those, but that doesn't factor everything.  The lack of outside shooting coupled with this years' lack of muscle on everyone but Derrick (which pays no offensive dividend) is a horrible combination.  So you pull Juan and add JJJ.  Does anyone but one seriously think this is going to make a difference?  Now pull Carlino, the only guy that can really create his own shot from the perimeter, and we see what happens.  Its not just the lack of parts, its the lack of high quality parts.
"Let's be careful out there."  Phil Esterhaus

D'Lo Brown

• All American
« Reply #77 on: February 26, 2015, 10:19:16 AM »
With Juan, this is a below average rebounding team.  Without him (played only six minutes) this is an awful rebounding team.

I am not seeing next year how our rebounding is going to be too much better.  Unless Heldt and Ellenson are monsters on the boards it is going to be an issue.  Maybe Fischer and Taylor can step up their rebounding?

Would be really nice to recruit a power forward board man for next year.

This team is one of the very worst rebounding teams in all of division 1. If memory serves we were brutally dominated on the boards by early season cupcakes such as Tennessee Martin and Nebraska-Omaha.

We have two great low-post prospects coming in and I'd imagine at least one juco/grad. In addition, these kids will get an entire offseason of Wojo beating them over the head with the importance of rebounds. All of these guys have room for improvement, especially Fischer given that he is somehow always out of position and/or out-muscled.

We will be taller at most positions next year, especially when substitutions are made... Sandy (6'5", 110lbs) won't need to play power forward, etc.

It's hard for me to imagine this team being as bad next year, it will be a huge failure for Wojo if they don't make any improvements. Even if we go from being obscenely unlucky to mostly unlucky we should see improvement.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2015, 10:22:15 AM by yetipro »

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #78 on: February 26, 2015, 10:45:27 AM »
This team is one of the very worst rebounding teams in all of division 1. If memory serves we were brutally dominated on the boards by early season cupcakes such as Tennessee Martin and Nebraska-Omaha.

We have two great low-post prospects coming in and I'd imagine at least one juco/grad. In addition, these kids will get an entire offseason of Wojo beating them over the head with the importance of rebounds. All of these guys have room for improvement, especially Fischer given that he is somehow always out of position and/or out-muscled.

We will be taller at most positions next year, especially when substitutions are made... Sandy (6'5", 110lbs) won't need to play power forward, etc.

It's hard for me to imagine this team being as bad next year, it will be a huge failure for Wojo if they don't make any improvements. Even if we go from being obscenely unlucky to mostly unlucky we should see improvement.

MU will have 3 good players starting next year, Fisher, Ellenson and Duane Wilson.  Need 2 players out of the other 7 to step up, then they could be better, but those 2 are the ones that will make a difference.  Whomever it will be the team will be very young, I see 2016-17 being a really much improved team as Taylor is the only loss.  Next year will be a transition year as well.

D'Lo Brown

• All American
« Reply #79 on: February 26, 2015, 10:52:40 AM »
MU will have 3 good players starting next year, Fisher, Ellenson and Duane Wilson.  Need 2 players out of the other 7 to step up, then they could be better, but those 2 are the ones that will make a difference.  Whomever it will be the team will be very young, I see 2016-17 being a really much improved team as Taylor is the only loss.  Next year will be a transition year as well.

Yeah I'm not convinced yet that we'll be better overall but I think that when it comes to rebounding, I bet we'll improve.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #80 on: February 26, 2015, 10:57:42 AM »
And all those Butler starters are better than MU starters.

This. The reality is we have a team of guys that have tremendous shooting issues and are just not strong enough physically for this league.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #81 on: February 26, 2015, 11:05:32 AM »
Yeah I'm not convinced yet that we'll be better overall but I think that when it comes to rebounding, I bet we'll improve.

While I see next year as more of a bridge year to 2016-17, I will be highly disappointed if we are not a better, more competitive and well-rounded team. 

I hope Henry can be a difference maker but I don't want to put unrealistic expectations on him and the other freshman and any other potential spring signings. 

We'll see what kind of improvement Duane, Luke, Sandy and JJJ make over the offseason.  They all definitely need to get much stronger.  Their improvement may be an indication of what we have with Wojo because it is way too early to make a determination at this point.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #82 on: February 26, 2015, 11:39:12 AM »
The next 2 scholarship players will tell you if we will be better.  I would only try and get 2 players so you can add 2 the following year.  Need a point but also a player who has some girth who can rebound, last night was a joke on the boards.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #83 on: February 26, 2015, 11:43:53 AM »
If 5 trips to the NCAA and S16-S16-E8 is the toilet, sign me up.

What stall you want, Bro? Some are already occupied, so to speak.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #84 on: February 26, 2015, 12:03:47 PM »
Was really disappointed at our play and coaching.  Actually thought we would win tonight.  
1.  Luke played ok offensively but not defensively.
2.  Sandy needs to add muscle and speed up his passing.
3.  Derrick cannot play any better.  He is just not a winning point guard.
4.  Steve played well.
5. Carlin was rusty, but, showed that he is our best player.
6.  Dwayne and JJ seemed lost.
7.  Juan was not a factor.
8.  Wojo blew the game with a technical when we were down three points.  Thought he coached the whole game poorly.  Hope it was a fluke.  He doesn't coach like he played.  Poor defense and no attack offense.  

This game really makes you wonder about our future.

Some couldn't spell the last Dwyane's name right, so why should we spell this Duane's name right?

And really?  You thought we were going to win?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #85 on: February 26, 2015, 12:05:58 PM »
I mentioned a bad ass PF.

Jamal McKay tonight 21 points, 8 rebounds and 4 blocks.  My oh my, Fischer, Ellenson and McKay frontline.........

I agree, but he would have been a junior last year, senior this year.  So he wouldn't have played with Ellenson.  We would be a much, much better team this year with McKay, however.

As for the game, we suck. Its that simple. Baseball season cannot come soon enough. I have never been so disinterested in an MU game as I was last night. 
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #86 on: February 26, 2015, 12:06:53 PM »
I mentioned a bad ass PF.

Jamal McKay tonight 21 points, 8 rebounds and 4 blocks.  My oh my, Fischer, Ellenson and McKay frontline.........

Never would've happened.  Either McKay leaves or he plays last year and this year.  No Hank, McKay, Fischer.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #87 on: February 26, 2015, 12:10:45 PM »
I mentioned Virginia Tech because they have gotten better and better over the course of the season, including an OT game against the #4 team in the country (Duke).  We, Marquette, have been blown out, embarassingly, against Villanova and Butler in a span of several days.  Both teams are poor, but one is playing better than there abilities indicate, the other isn't.  We have shown little-to-no sign of improvement or development with the team.  That is all.

Uhh...VT's last 4 games...loss by 21 to Clemson, loss by 24 to Miami, loss by 16 to NC State, and loss by 5 to Duke.  Your 1 game sample size doesn't fit the actual facts.

1 team has been healthy and has a full roster, 1 team has been playing with 6 healthy guys for the last 2 games.

If you're going to talk, at least know what you're saying.

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #88 on: February 26, 2015, 12:23:26 PM »

Eh they'll for sure be better, how much is a different question.

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #89 on: February 26, 2015, 12:31:03 PM »

Funny.  I am seeing the opposite.  I think we will be in contention for a NCAA bid next year.  NIT as a minimum.  However, I am concerned about the rebounding.  It will be our weakness unless Ellenson/Heldt are really good boardmen.

Still hoping for a '4' who will be signed to help.

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #90 on: February 26, 2015, 12:51:05 PM »
Funny.  I am seeing the opposite.  I think we will be in contention for a NCAA bid next year.  NIT as a minimum.  However, I am concerned about the rebounding.  It will be our weakness unless Ellenson/Heldt are really good boardmen.

I'd be very happy with an NIT bid next season.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #91 on: February 26, 2015, 12:55:54 PM »
Yep--that worked out for you last year--you are now signed up for the toilet chute. 17-15 punches your ticket, along with the phony BS of Buzz as the endorsement.

What a whiner.  Buzz lead Marquette to it's best 5 year run since Al and all you can do is sulk, whine, and call people names.  Life must be so unfair to you.

Back you go on ignore.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #92 on: February 26, 2015, 01:04:12 PM »
Our rebounding will improve dramatically next season if we play Mache 25+ mpg.

He's averaging 1.0 rpg in 1.0 mpg this year...he'll be an absolute monster if Wojo doesn't hold him down by playing mind games.

D'Lo Brown

• All American
« Reply #93 on: February 26, 2015, 02:00:57 PM »
Funny.  I am seeing the opposite.  I think we will be in contention for a NCAA bid next year.  NIT as a minimum.  However, I am concerned about the rebounding.  It will be our weakness unless Ellenson/Heldt are really good boardmen.

What is the opposite of not sure yet? I took a neutral position.  ?-(

But I'm pretty surprised that you think our rebounding will be worse, I can't imagine what that will look like. From my view we aren't really losing anything on the front court and we're gaining offseason experience and at least two very capable bodies... We are losing Juan, who has been a valuable rebounder, but from what I've seen I think he's replaceable.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2015, 02:07:16 PM by yetipro »

tower912

• All American
« Reply #94 on: February 26, 2015, 02:53:12 PM »
What a whiner.  Buzz lead Marquette to it's best 5 year run since Al and all you can do is sulk, whine, and call people names.  Life must be so unfair to you.

Back you go on ignore.

I like it.   I will hereby begin every post to him with, 'Well, willie whiner".......
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #95 on: February 26, 2015, 03:05:26 PM »
What is the opposite of not sure yet? I took a neutral position.  ?-(

But I'm pretty surprised that you think our rebounding will be worse, I can't imagine what that will look like. From my view we aren't really losing anything on the front court and we're gaining offseason experience and at least two very capable bodies... We are losing Juan, who has been a valuable rebounder, but from what I've seen I think he's replaceable.

Looks like we are both misunderstanding one another as I have never stated in the thread our rebounding is going to be worse.  However, I don't see it improving all that much.  Unless Ellenson is a force on the boards (maybe Heldt?) or a '4' we don't know about is joining the team, I think it will be a weakness next year.

That said, I think we will be much improved in other aspects.  I really think the NIT is our minimum next year.

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #96 on: February 26, 2015, 03:34:21 PM »
That said, I think we will be much improved in other aspects.  I really think the NIT is our minimum next year.

I think that's setting the floor way too high.  Last year MU was 17-11 (9-9) and still missed the NIT.

feedback