[Today at 07:52:45 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by MarquetteVol
[Today at 07:30:33 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Goose
[Today at 07:05:04 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by Judge Smails
[Today at 07:02:27 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Butler thoughts  (Read 21561 times)

willie warrior

• All American
Re: Butler thoughts
« Reply #50 on: February 26, 2015, 06:33:31 AM »
Jajuan was INVISIBLE, couldn't follow-up good game vs Nova......too bad, was hoping he'd turned the corner
Nobody turned a corner in this game--including Wojo. But according to some posts above, perhaps the solution is to bring back the Hillbilly.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #51 on: February 26, 2015, 06:34:16 AM »
If Buzz had stayed, the roster would look vastly different.   And he did stay at MU as long he felt wanted. 
Slurp...slurp...The Big Gulp!!!

tower912

• All American
« Reply #52 on: February 26, 2015, 06:37:38 AM »
Proudly.  IMO, best coach at MU since Al.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #53 on: February 26, 2015, 07:18:03 AM »
Look at what Holtmann has done with Butler.

Yes, and all he needed was to get perhaps the best all-around player in the Big East back from a season-long injury, freshmen who didn't follow the previous coach out of town and several maturing players who help make Butler a balanced, deep, experienced squad.

I'm thinking that if Wojo was handed Roosevelt Jones, Kellen Dunham, Alex Barlow, Kameron Woods, Andrew Chrabascz and Kelan Martin, he would have done OK.

Hell, just trade Jones for any player on our roster and we're probably 33% better at least.

Not to downplay Holtmann's contributions at all, because he obviously has done a nice job.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #54 on: February 26, 2015, 07:31:46 AM »
And all those Butler starters are better than MU starters.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #55 on: February 26, 2015, 07:39:29 AM »
And we all can thank the Bozo Cowboy Buzz for the lack of talent. Thanks, Bert, who said "I will be at Marquette as long as they want me"

Problem there was Bumstead and the administration each had a different definition of "as long as they want me," hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #56 on: February 26, 2015, 08:26:44 AM »
Wow.  Some of you guys worry too much.  Nothing will change this year.  Our players simply aren't good or developed enough.  Next year we'll be significantly better.  And in the off chance that 24 months from now Wojo has this team right where it is now the For Sale sign will already be up in front of his house.

References to Dukiet are ridiculous.  The difference is that in 2015 Marquette is committed to basketball excellence.  I've been a Wojo fan since the day he showed up on campus.  The results aren't there.... yet.  Should anyone be surprised?  A little faith gentlemen.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #57 on: February 26, 2015, 08:32:21 AM »
In Buzz we trust....to go straight down the toilet!!!!

MU82

• All American
« Reply #58 on: February 26, 2015, 08:40:03 AM »
Wow.  Some of you guys worry too much.  Nothing will change this year.  Our players simply aren't good or developed enough.  Next year we'll be significantly better.  And in the off chance that 24 months from now Wojo has this team right where it is now the For Sale sign will already be up in front of his house.

References to Dukiet are ridiculous.  The difference is that in 2015 Marquette is committed to basketball excellence.  I've been a Wojo fan since the day he showed up on campus.  The results aren't there.... yet.  Should anyone be surprised?  A little faith gentlemen.

Totally agree.

Please compare Wojo's first recruiting class to Dukiet's first recruiting class and then decide if Wojo=Dukiet. Or, better yet, wait a freakin' year or three to come to conclusions. Jeesh.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #59 on: February 26, 2015, 08:54:28 AM »
With Juan, this is a below average rebounding team.  Without him (played only six minutes) this is an awful rebounding team.

I am not seeing next year how our rebounding is going to be too much better.  Unless Heldt and Ellenson are monsters on the boards it is going to be an issue.  Maybe Fischer and Taylor can step up their rebounding?

Would be really nice to recruit a power forward board man for next year.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #60 on: February 26, 2015, 08:57:38 AM »
Was really disappointed at our play and coaching.  Actually thought we would win tonight. 

Why?  The worst team in the BE playing an experienced, top 25 team on the road?  What besides blind optimism lead you to believe that Marquette would win this game?

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #61 on: February 26, 2015, 08:58:34 AM »
http://scores.espn.go.com/ncb/boxscore?gameId=400588470

No surprises here, either.  

If JJJ had only played 2 more minutes, I am sure he would have scored a bunch.   
Stats don't count for games with <25 minutes
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #62 on: February 26, 2015, 09:02:09 AM »
Exceeded your expectations!?! Really? This team has not improved at all since the beginning of the season. They looked better in Orlando than they do now. No one expected this team to make the tourney this year, but this is pathetic. Look at what Holtmann has done with Butler. I Think there are reasons to be concerned about Wojo as a coach. Saying Wojo has exceeded expectations is having your head in the sand.

Individual players *have* improved.

Look, the Big East is a good basketball league.  It is also physical.  Always has been.  Marquette is getting KILLED due to lack of physicality.  Look at the players Buzz won this league with.  Look at the players Wojo has.

Give this team experience, and get some bulk, and it will be better next year.  I hope that Wojo understands the need for physical players in this conference.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2015, 09:07:12 AM by The Sultan of Sunshine »

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #63 on: February 26, 2015, 09:09:18 AM »
In Buzz we trust....to go straight down the toilet!!!!

If 5 trips to the NCAA and S16-S16-E8 is the toilet, sign me up.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

THRILLHO

• All American
    • twitter feed
« Reply #64 on: February 26, 2015, 09:10:11 AM »
With Juan, this is a below average rebounding team.  Without him (played only six minutes) this is an awful rebounding team.

I am not seeing next year how our rebounding is going to be too much better.  Unless Heldt and Ellenson are monsters on the boards it is going to be an issue.  Maybe Fischer and Taylor can step up their rebounding?

Would be really nice to recruit a power forward board man for next year.

Heldt and Ellenson don't need to be above average rebounders to improve our rebounding, they just need to be serviceable. Right now when Luke goes out everybody plays up a position and our team size suffers. If we have guys of the right height subbing in it will make everybody's deficiencies less noticeable.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #65 on: February 26, 2015, 09:10:45 AM »

Only a hater would argue otherwise.

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #66 on: February 26, 2015, 09:17:26 AM »
Heldt and Ellenson don't need to be above average rebounders to improve our rebounding, they just need to be serviceable. Right now when Luke goes out everybody plays up a position and our team size suffers. If we have guys of the right height subbing in it will make everybody's deficiencies less noticeable.

Have to disagree.  Luke has not shown to be anything more than an average rebounder this year.  Steve is a solid rebounder.  Our '3' spot next year does not look like a great rebounding position either.  Unless Ellenson will be playing that position consistently.

Unless Ellenson and Heldt are above average rebounders, or we get another big next year, we are going to struggle on the boards just like we are this year.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #67 on: February 26, 2015, 09:21:00 AM »

Yep.  When your PG has to go down in the land of the giants to try to box out and rebound.

I have pretty high hopes for Steve next year.  I like the way he works with Luke and I think a summer of working at the 4 while Luke and Matt bang at the 5 will help.  All summer Steve will be working hard to stop Hammerin' Hank, hopefully failing more than he succeeds but growing from the process  His D will improve along with his rebounding.  Wojo will ask him to do one or two things well and I think he will.

THRILLHO

• All American
    • twitter feed
« Reply #68 on: February 26, 2015, 09:24:50 AM »
Have to disagree.  Luke has not shown to be anything more than an average rebounder this year.  Steve is a solid rebounder.  Our '3' spot next year does not look like a great rebounding position either.  Unless Ellenson will be playing that position consistently.

Unless Ellenson and Heldt are above average rebounders, or we get another big next year, we are going to struggle on the boards just like we are this year.

When Luke comes out this year, Steve is the 5, Juan (or worse) is the 4, and Jajuan (or worse) is the 3. Next year, when Luke goes out, Heldt is the 5, Steve/Henry is the 4, Henry (or worse) is the 3. Steve is a decent rebounder but will be a better rebounder as a 4 than a 5. Factor in that Luke and Steve don't play together all that much this year, and I think just team size will give us some improvement. I'm not saying it will make us a great rebounding team, but this year we are so bad that we might become an average rebounding team just by increasing team size.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2015, 09:26:58 AM by THRILLHO »

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #69 on: February 26, 2015, 09:26:06 AM »
I hope next year's 4 (or possibly 3) isn't on the team yet.

Badgerhater

• All American
« Reply #70 on: February 26, 2015, 09:36:05 AM »
Not that I think MU should cash it in for the season, but at this point I am happy with tourney-bound BE conference teams not stumbling at the end of the season.  A strong conference showing in the tourney in these early years is important to MU's long-term success.

If MU can win one game in the BET that will be a positive way to end the season and something for the seniors to hang their hat on.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #71 on: February 26, 2015, 09:40:21 AM »
If 5 trips to the NCAA and S16-S16-E8 is the toilet, sign me up.
Yep--that worked out for you last year--you are now signed up for the toilet chute. 17-15 punches your ticket, along with the phony BS of Buzz as the endorsement.

statnik

• Team Captain
« Reply #72 on: February 26, 2015, 09:47:06 AM »
Buzz has coached others players before.   And prior to becoming a head coach, he coached in multiple systems.   He is better equipped at this point. 

Well apparently all that experience as an Assistant coach under Mike Krzyzewski went over his head.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #73 on: February 26, 2015, 09:49:08 AM »
I hope next year's 4 (or possibly 3) isn't on the team yet.

Or 1.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #74 on: February 26, 2015, 09:55:52 AM »
I just don't know what people expect Wojo to do.  Everyone says "he isn't making adjustments."

Like what?  There are 8 guys on the team.  There were 6 against Nova.  What adjustments can he make?  He's already changed defenses.  This is the worst shooting team Marquette has had in years, despite being a better 3 point shooting team since DJO was on the roster.  No one physical enough to attack the basket.  No one consistent enough from the outside.

feedback