[Today at 03:21:43 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by WhiteTrash
[Today at 03:15:40 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Jockey
[Today at 03:02:03 PM]

MU Gear by Pepe Sylvia
[Today at 11:45:12 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Butler thoughts  (Read 21669 times)

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
Re: Butler thoughts
« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2015, 10:09:30 PM »
Tower, yes I expected we would win with our best player Carlino playing and their 30 point shooter not playing.  We almost beat them last time.  If you don't expect t them to win, tune out.  We want Marquette to win every game.  You may be right saying Wojo coaches like he played, poorly on offense.  But, what about our highly paid assistant coaches?  Their contributions do not show.  Nor does Wojo's game coaching.  This was a terrible game.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 10:16:10 PM by Stretchdeltsig »

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2015, 10:11:35 PM »
Have lost 10 of last 11. Hasn't happened since the JFK assassination. MU overmatched all the way around. Kids are playing and struggling but the coaches are seeing what they have and don't have.

Points off turnovers: 16-5 Butler.  Second chance points:12-4 Butler. Rebounding: 29-18 Butler. Technicals: 2-1 Marquette. Homer and Mac post-game: Wojo goes MIA, ala Crean. Effort, physicalness, focus and maturity.

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2015, 10:12:13 PM »
This post is devoid of any look at reality. As, especially, evidenced by saying VT is neck and neck with Duke. One game does not make a sample size.

I mentioned Virginia Tech because they have gotten better and better over the course of the season, including an OT game against the #4 team in the country (Duke).  We, Marquette, have been blown out, embarassingly, against Villanova and Butler in a span of several days.  Both teams are poor, but one is playing better than there abilities indicate, the other isn't.  We have shown little-to-no sign of improvement or development with the team.  That is all.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2015, 10:12:21 PM »
I mentioned a bad ass PF.

Jamal McKay tonight 21 points, 8 rebounds and 4 blocks.  My oh my, Fischer, Ellenson and McKay frontline.........

Except McKay would have been a senior this year if he had stayed so that doesn't work.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2015, 10:13:01 PM »
I mentioned a bad ass PF.

Jamal McKay tonight 21 points, 8 rebounds and 4 blocks.  My oh my, Fischer, Ellenson and McKay frontline.........

Not possible. McKay would be gone.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #30 on: February 25, 2015, 10:21:12 PM »
I mentioned Virginia Tech because they have gotten better and better over the course of the season,

Apparently you missed their 76-52 loss to Miami a week ago.  Or their 75-54 loss to Clemson a few days before that.

MU's win against providence is much more impressive than their OT loss to Duke.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #31 on: February 25, 2015, 10:26:02 PM »
If you don't expect them to win, tune out. We want Marquette to win every game.

This is one of the silliest statements ever to appear on Scoop, and that covers a lot of ground.

I want Marquette to win every game. I was a very happy MU student, I loved going to games, and I have followed the Warriors closely ever since. They are the only team, college or pro, that I really root for.

But I also am a realist. This Marquette team is not very good, which is why many, many, many of us picked them to finish below .500 and why every coach or media poll had them finishing 7th or lower.

I absolutely didn't expect them to win tonight but I still watched because I'm a fan. If that's OK with you, of course. Perhaps I should have asked for your permission.

I would have been thrilled, delighted, overjoyed if we had won. But we simply are not good enough, which is why we were huge underdogs coming in.

Just because some of us are pragmatic to know victory is unlikely in a road game against a good team, it doesn't make us any lesser fans than you.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #32 on: February 25, 2015, 10:27:20 PM »
I mentioned Virginia Tech because they have gotten better and better over the course of the season, including an OT game against the #4 team in the country (Duke).  We, Marquette, have been blown out, embarassingly, against Villanova and Butler in a span of several days.  Both teams are poor, but one is playing better than there abilities indicate, the other isn't.  We have shown little-to-no sign of improvement or development with the team.  That is all.

MU has played their conference season with 8 players and part of it with 7, minus their leading scorer.  What do you think this teams abilities are capable of right now?

Given I don't catch many VTech basketball (shocking given hiowmuch exposure the ACC is supposed to get you) but I dont understand why Buzz's 2-11 conference record is the model for improvement. Did you forget last season already?

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #33 on: February 25, 2015, 10:35:44 PM »

How was the nova game Saturday an embarrassing blowout?
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #34 on: February 25, 2015, 10:37:14 PM »

Agreed. Tonight was really poor, but we actually played pretty damn well vs. Nova. They were just much better than us.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #35 on: February 25, 2015, 10:38:43 PM »
Was really disappointed at our play and coaching.  Actually thought we would win tonight.  

This game really makes you wonder about our future.

Glad we're keeping some perspective. FFS.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #36 on: February 25, 2015, 10:40:46 PM »

It was an embarrassing blowout because that's what he needed it to be to fit his narrative.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

tower912

• All American
« Reply #37 on: February 25, 2015, 11:06:32 PM »
Tower, yes I expected we would win with our best player Carlino playing and their 30 point shooter not playing.  We almost beat them last time.  If you don't expect t them to win, tune out.  We want Marquette to win every game.  You may be right saying Wojo coaches like he played, poorly on offense.  But, what about our highly paid assistant coaches?  Their contributions do not show.  Nor does Wojo's game coaching.  This was a terrible game.

Then you need to look at things more objectively.   Tune out?   Never.   I attended every home game I was on campus for, even during the first two Dukiet years.    This season?   Exactly what I expected.    There isn't nearly the amount of talent on this team as some would have you believe.   Wojo has exceeded my expectations for him this year. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Oregon Warrior

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #38 on: February 25, 2015, 11:28:23 PM »
Then you need to look at things more objectively.   Tune out?   Never.   I attended every home game I was on campus for, even during the first two Dukiet years.    This season?   Exactly what I expected.    There isn't nearly the amount of talent on this team as some would have you believe.   Wojo has exceeded my expectations for him this year. 

Exceeded your expectations!?! Really? This team has not improved at all since the beginning of the season. They looked better in Orlando than they do now. No one expected this team to make the tourney this year, but this is pathetic. Look at what Holtmann has done with Butler. I Think there are reasons to be concerned about Wojo as a coach. Saying Wojo has exceeded expectations is having your head in the sand.

muwarrior97

• All American
  • CALVACADE OF BRICKS
« Reply #39 on: February 25, 2015, 11:37:32 PM »
1. one game closer to end of season
2. defense a problem again.
3. we seem to get drilled early in the 2nd half (coming out of halftime)
4. luke showed some nice things on offense, jajuan was exceptionally bad.
5. pretty much every guy on the team is wildly inconsistent with their play from game to game
6. damage control on the other board is hilarious

Jajuan was INVISIBLE, couldn't follow-up good game vs Nova......too bad, was hoping he'd turned the corner
#RGV #ReturnTheWarriorMindset

Nevada233

• All American
« Reply #40 on: February 25, 2015, 11:40:01 PM »
Not possible. McKay would be gone.

McKay is closer to being on The Bucks than he is to playing College basketball.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #41 on: February 26, 2015, 12:47:22 AM »
Exceeded your expectations!?! Really? This team has not improved at all since the beginning of the season. They looked better in Orlando than they do now. No one expected this team to make the tourney this year, but this is pathetic. Look at what Holtmann has done with Butler. I Think there are reasons to be concerned about Wojo as a coach. Saying Wojo has exceeded expectations is having your head in the sand.

My expectation, with Dawson and Burton sticking around, was 10-14 wins. (Closer to 10, but those were the numbers)  My expectation was for a lot more blowouts and a lot fewer close losses.   And all of this before I knew the Big East was going to be as tough as it is.   And you are wrong.   Go back to the 'Way to early poll'.    There were a fair number of people expecting 20 wins.   And my expectations for Wojo, as a first time head coach who only knew the Duke way with this collection of players was nearly zero.   How could it be otherwise?  He has shown himself to be a good recruiter and a willingness to at least try something outside his experience.   I am not giving up on him because of this season.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

Oregon Warrior

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #42 on: February 26, 2015, 01:04:07 AM »
My expectation, with Dawson and Burton sticking around, was 10-14 wins. (Closer to 10, but those were the numbers)  My expectation was for a lot more blowouts and a lot fewer close losses.   And all of this before I knew the Big East was going to be as tough as it is.   And you are wrong.   Go back to the 'Way to early poll'.    There were a fair number of people expecting 20 wins.   And my expectations for Wojo, as a first time head coach who only knew the Duke way with this collection of players was nearly zero.   How could it be otherwise?  He has shown himself to be a good recruiter and a willingness to at least try something outside his experience.   I am not giving up on him because of this season.   

I agree that he seems to be a good recruiter and I didn't say I'm giving up on him. I just said there are reasons to be concerned based on what we've seen from a coaching standpoint.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #43 on: February 26, 2015, 01:06:48 AM »

I believe they were blown out their last three games.  I suspect Duke took them a bit lightly today and almost paid the price.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #44 on: February 26, 2015, 03:23:57 AM »
I agree that he seems to be a good recruiter and I didn't say I'm giving up on him. I just said there are reasons to be concerned based on what we've seen from a coaching standpoint.

First year in the big chair.   He is learning.   If I didn't see the capacity to learn from his mistakes, I would worry.   He is far from a finished product.

connie

• All American
« Reply #45 on: February 26, 2015, 06:07:11 AM »
I believe they were blown out their last three games.  I suspect Duke took them a bit lightly today and almost paid the price.
And VT hit 12 threes.  No chance for our guys to do that with Carlino just coming back and looking a little rusty.  Anyone expecting any more from this team with the fouls, limited talent and injuries picked a bad day to stop sniffing glue.
"Let's be careful out there."  Phil Esterhaus

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #46 on: February 26, 2015, 06:24:24 AM »
You expected MU to beat a ranked team on the road?    Really?  ::)   You also don't remember how Wojo played offense.   Look up the stats.    Watch some old video.   I watched the first 4 minutes of a Duke/UNC game and Wojo did not one time step inside the 3 pt line on offense.   
Yeah, Wojo was not an offensive Guru--defense. But he has not imparted that on the team either. Carlino, Sandy, and Fischer could not guard their people.

And the expectation should be that we are ranked and win on the road.

Let's face it. We... are...DUKIET!!
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #47 on: February 26, 2015, 06:25:35 AM »
Agreed. Tonight was really poor, but we actually played pretty damn well vs. Nova. They were just much better than us.
Yes...we can talk all offseason that we played well against NOVA.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #48 on: February 26, 2015, 06:30:26 AM »
And we all can thank the Bozo Cowboy Buzz for the lack of talent. Thanks, Bert, who said "I will be at Marquette as long as they want me"

tower912

• All American
« Reply #49 on: February 26, 2015, 06:33:26 AM »
If Buzz had stayed, the roster would look vastly different.   And he did stay at MU as long he felt wanted.   As far as Dukiet, this is different in that there was no perception of a light at the end of the tunnel.   The coach was just plain bad, couldn't recruit, the administration didn't have a plan.   This time, it feels like it is going to be a 1-2 year nadir with big things to come. 
« Last Edit: February 26, 2015, 06:36:42 AM by tower912 »

feedback