[April 24, 2024, 08:12:40 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by WhiteTrash
[April 24, 2024, 07:58:02 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by MU82
[April 24, 2024, 04:38:12 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Uncle Rico
[April 24, 2024, 04:09:20 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Coaches since Majerus  (Read 12097 times)

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
Coaches since Majerus
« on: February 25, 2015, 07:42:25 PM »
I know we have a crappy record, but I'll take Wojo any day of the week. When is the last time we had a coach get technicals based purely on competitive rage? Hell, what coach anywhere does that? He's old school and I love it.

Favorite coaches since Rick:

1. Buzz
2. Wojo (but he's quickly rising)
3. KO
4. Deane
5. Dukiet
6. Crean
« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 07:46:36 PM by PuertoRicanNightmare »

Blackhat

• All American
Re: Coaches since Majerus
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2015, 07:49:04 PM »
Polish Hammer has not impressed me with his coaching.    Team looked clueless on man D to start the year...still look inept.   Zone was better.   

I think positives are he has a good structure to his offense, can get his guys to play hard, and recruits fairly well. 

I enjoyed watching Crean's early teams more than Buzz's but Buzz had a helluva run. 

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2015, 07:53:28 PM »
Crean slurpper
Goal is National Championship

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2015, 07:53:49 PM »
I know we have a crappy record, but I'll take Wojo any day of the week. When is the last time we had a coach get technicals based purely on competitive rage? Hell, what coach anywhere does that?

Not many...cause it's a stupid thing to do.

I think Wojo is going to be fine, but he is making "new coach" mistakes.  That is to be expected though and believe he will learn from them.

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2015, 08:03:55 PM »

Not many...cause it's a stupid thing to do.

I think Wojo is going to be fine, but he is making "new coach" mistakes.  That is to be expected though and believe he will learn from them.
I am not sure I'd go so far as to call it "stupid," but I understand that it doesn't usually help. I just love the intensity...which I believe does help.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2015, 08:10:10 PM »
Yeah I understand that.  I think its a good sign that this team keeps playing very hard.  Just not a well rounded team.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2015, 08:23:31 PM »
Guess the 'Cats ripped pretty boy a new one, ai na?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2015, 08:29:56 PM »
Polish Hammer has not impressed me with his coaching.    Team looked clueless on man D to start the year...still look inept.   Zone was better.   

I think positives are he has a good structure to his offense, can get his guys to play hard, and recruits fairly well. 

I enjoyed watching Crean's early teams more than Buzz's but Buzz had a helluva run. 

So you enjoyed the Wardle teams get hammered in the mid majors than the three amigos kill it in the Old Big East or the heart attack midgets?
Maigh Eo for Sam

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2015, 08:39:09 PM »
1) O'Neill - unapologetic in how he ran things, recruited good kids, and they won- took the program off life support to S16, I was really bummed when he left.  Lone knock, how he never fully embraced MU's tradition.
2) Crean - he was a different guy when he was first at MU, his ego grew massively during this tenure, but how can the guy who delivered us Dwyane Wade and a Final Four, be lower than two?  Again recruited good, talented, kids, and won with them.
3) Wojo- still so early, recruiting thus far excellent, has weeded out some of the selfishness and attitudes in the program, establishing a solid culture that will bring respect back to the program, both on and off the court.  Get on board the train now, the guy's going to win a lot here. I hope we can keep him once he does.  I don't think i will be too long before he surpasses Crean in my book.

4) Buzz  - he won and he won with flair, which was entertaining.  Brought some really talented kids that barely were noticed on the recruiting trail (Jimmy, DJO, Crowder).  But the off court stuff, and pulling the rugs from signees and commits got so frickin old.  THis year we're paying the price because he was unable to adequately replace the DJO's, Crowder's, and Jimmy's, with near the talent and hunger level when they moved on.
5) Deane -poor recruiter generally with a couple exceptions, won with the O'Neill leftovers (another reason O'Neill is top dog right now on my list, he set us up for long term success.  Never acted excited about the NCAA tourney, or that it was an every year goal, remember how he talked how much he liked the NIT?  Surly guy.  Pretty good basketball technician, but he couldn't bring the players in to show it long term.  An Irishman who loved his beer and booze, which fits well in the Milwaukee and WI culture of course, but not so much when you're running a high profile program such as MU men's basketball coach.  Thank-you Cords for pulling the plug before he brought the program down to the depths of Dukiet's era.
6) Dukiet how can anyone but him be the bottom of everyone's list.  poor recruiter, I think one NIT appearance at MU, he was just in way over his head.  
« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 08:43:47 PM by HutchwasClutch »

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"

Death on call

tower912

• All American
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2015, 09:05:22 PM »
1. Buzz
2. Kevin
3. Crean
4. Deane
5. Dukiet

I am not ready to rate Wojo yet.   One of the reasons my expectations were so low for this team going in was that Wojo is a first time head coach, trying to put in a new system with other guys players.   His staff can beat the players in a pick up game, but other than one guy who had an indifferent record, there isn't anybody who has had a high level position in a winning program.   Other than Wojo.    He has shown some flexibility, going to a couple of different zones, which is encouraging.    I will rate him in a couple of years.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2015, 06:37:26 AM »
Yeah I understand that.  I think its a good sign that this team keeps playing very hard.  Just not a well rounded team.
Thanks to the Lonesome Phony Cowboy.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2015, 06:39:08 AM »

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2015, 06:40:55 AM »
1. Buzz
2. Kevin
3. Crean
4. Deane
5. Dukiet

I am not ready to rate Wojo yet.   One of the reasons my expectations were so low for this team going in was that Wojo is a first time head coach, trying to put in a new system with other guys players.   His staff can beat the players in a pick up game, but other than one guy who had an indifferent record, there isn't anybody who has had a high level position in a winning program.   Other than Wojo.    He has shown some flexibility, going to a couple of different zones, which is encouraging.    I will rate him in a couple of years.
You should be able to rate Buzz with this year's MU team that he built under his belt. But we know he is #1 in your heart.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2015, 07:21:49 AM »
Willie, Buzz went to the second weekend of the tournament more times in his 6 years than Crean, Deane, KO, Dukiet, and Majerus combined.    Haters gotta hate.   And by my reckoning, that is all you do.   But you are good at it, so hate away.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2015, 08:43:56 AM »
Willie, Buzz went to the second weekend of the tournament more times in his 6 years than Crean, Deane, KO, Dukiet, and Majerus combined.    Haters gotta hate.   And by my reckoning, that is all you do.   But you are good at it, so hate away.

Because some people also care about what was going on behind the scenes as well....it's not always just win baby. Not all the shoes have even dropped yet, whether they ever do will be interesting to see how things unfold. 

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2015, 08:51:29 AM »
Not all the shoes have even dropped yet, whether they ever do will be interesting to see how things unfold. 

::)

MU82

• All American
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2015, 08:56:46 AM »

Because some people also care about what was going on behind the scenes as well....it's not always just win baby. Not all the shoes have even dropped yet, whether they ever do will be interesting to see how things unfold. 

I enjoyed the just-win-babying while it was taking place. I feel sorry for those who didn't. If the other shoe drops, it drops.

That's not saying I want my school to cheat. It's not saying I want my school to accept miscreants. What I want is my school to play within the rules at the time - even if that means pushing the boundary of the rules a bit - and then using its resources to actually produce results on the court.

Any Marquette fan who didn't enjoy S16-S16-S8 while it was taking place, well, I wonder if they really were Marquette fans. I enjoyed the hell out of it!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2015, 09:33:01 AM »

Typical Chico campaign of slur and innuendo. Our very own mini Joe McCarthy. Meanwhile his guy is supervising an absolute cesspool at Indiana and (channeling my inner Chico) he was no better at Marquette.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2015, 09:36:02 AM »
1. Buzz
2. Kevin
3. Crean
4. Deane
5. Dukiet

+1

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2015, 09:45:14 AM »

I think you should start dropping some shoes then -- you're not going to offend anyone here. 

Personally I had so much fun during that stretch.  Running UCONN in Hartford out of the building, St John's in MSG for a share of the BE title.  Watching that midget team with Lazar gut out every game.  Louisville at home with DJOs dunk.  Tough losses against great teams on what seemed to be Senior Day every year.  Watching Butler go from a hesitant soph to dropping game winning shots....

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2015, 09:46:42 AM »
Willie, Buzz went to the second weekend of the tournament more times in his 6 years than Crean, Deane, KO, Dukiet, and Majerus combined.    Haters gotta hate.   And by my reckoning, that is all you do.   But you are good at it, so hate away.
And Coach Calcheatucky has outdone Buzz by miles. But that does not mean either is a role model. Buzz was a phony BS'er. Glad you were not able to see through it, it makes it easier to tiptoe through the tulips.

I love the liberal mantra of Haters gotta Hate. By my reckoning, that is all you do. Nothing about hate--all about character--something you seem to have trouble distinguishing.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2015, 09:48:49 AM »
I love the liberal mantra of Haters gotta Hate.

That's a "liberal mantra?"

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2015, 10:05:55 AM »
Buzz went to the second weekend of the tournament more times in his 6 years than Crean, Deane, KO, Dukiet, and Majerus combined.    Haters gotta hate.  

This.  

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2015, 10:14:08 AM »
Father Wild had a heck of a run.  Not to mention Steve Cottingham proved adept in his hires, not just basketball. 

feedback