[Today at 09:58:46 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Viper
[Today at 09:52:10 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by MU Fan in Connecticut
[Today at 09:25:35 AM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by MarquetteDano
[Today at 09:22:06 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Wojo recruiting losses  (Read 14807 times)

The Lens

• All American
Wojo recruiting losses
« on: February 25, 2015, 02:24:10 PM »
With Sacar Anim in the fold, it seems (I am only a casual recruiting guy) that Wojo to this point has always gotten his man.  Am I correct on this?  Any big losses? 

Traci Carter seems to be a good test for the Wojo batting average, unless I am missing someone. 
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

GGGG

• All American
Re: Wojo recruiting losses
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2015, 02:29:07 PM »
Akoy Agau as a transfer. 

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2015, 02:39:56 PM »
Akoy Agau as a transfer. 
I would treat transfers separately for this "evaluation".

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2015, 02:45:10 PM »
Also not a recruiting guy, but just from reading Scoop (which does seem to have some recruiting guys) i'd say he's not missed yet.

countdown to someone trying to squeeze Burton and Dawson into this conversation in 3.......2........1......

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2015, 02:47:59 PM »
With Sacar Anim in the fold, it seems (I am only a casual recruiting guy) that Wojo to this point has always gotten his man.  Am I correct on this?  Any big losses? 

If you start after the guys that de-committed after Buzz left...yes, he has a good track record.  He was 1/5 on those guys though (if you count NN).  And I don't know how many of those he *really* wanted...

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2015, 03:15:44 PM »
Akoy Agau as a transfer. 

Agreed. He took a visit here and there is a definite need and available PT. In general, Wojo has won once he's offered. It seems like he's been selective in his offers, which has helped his proverbial batting average. He also missed out on Jimmy Whitt, who committed to Arkansas before his scheduled visit to Marquette.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2015, 03:21:57 PM »
Is it a loss if Wojo misses out on Carter? The guy took the job about 9 months ago, what he's accomplished in that time is incredible. Buzz did well early as well, but Wojo didn't have the year cushion to coach McNeal, Matthews, Hayward and James like buzz. If he loses out on Carter I'm not concerned, these other coaches have been recruiting him for years.

UticaBusBarn

• Team Captain
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2015, 03:27:25 PM »
I do not following recruiting per se, but I have the impression that Coach Wojo is very methodical and does a great deal of "due diligence" on would be Warrior recruits.

Of the relative few Coach Wojo concludes might "fit", he then seems to pull out all the stops and goes after the targeted guy with all the his/staff's collective energy.

For those of you who follow recruiting closely, is this (more, or less) correct? Or, is Coach Wojo like many other coaches who cast a very broad recruiting net?

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2015, 03:40:59 PM »
Wojo has had a very methodical and close-to-the vest recruiting process so far. He seems to focus on fit and need and then quietly go hard after his guy. It always seems we don't hear about something until it is deep into the recruiting process. Color me impressed so far. I hope he continues to be so methodical in his approach. It will especially be fun to see what he can do with the 2016 class when he actually has a full year to recruit (and isn't still getting things sorted out for 2015).
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2015, 04:06:21 PM »
Is it a loss if Wojo misses out on Carter? The guy took the job about 9 months ago, what he's accomplished in that time is incredible. Buzz did well early as well, but Wojo didn't have the year cushion to coach McNeal, Matthews, Hayward and James like buzz. If he loses out on Carter I'm not concerned, these other coaches have been recruiting him for years.

It is a loss but there's nothing wrong with losing recruiting battles. Everyone loses recruiting battles and I'd argue most coaches lose more than they win. Honestly, a part of me wants Wojo to lose some of these to knock off the air of invincibility he seems to be building on the recruiting trail.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2015, 04:12:04 PM »
It is a loss but there's nothing wrong with losing recruiting battles. Everyone loses recruiting battles and I'd argue most coaches lose more than they win. Honestly, a part of me wants Wojo to lose some of these to knock off the air of invincibility he seems to be building on the recruiting trail.

I hope he wins every recruiting battle and solidifies an air of invincibility on the trail.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2015, 04:15:36 PM »
I hope he wins every recruiting battle and solidifies an air of invincibility on the trail.

Wojo to his recruiting opponents on the recruiting trail:

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2015, 04:18:27 PM »

I want Wojo/MU in a future battle with blue bloods with a reputation of not losing a recruiting battle. The way to earn that reputation is to keep getting commitments from those you are recruiting.

Cooby Snacks

• Team Captain
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2015, 04:19:03 PM »
If you start after the guys that de-committed after Buzz left...yes, he has a good track record.  He was 1/5 on those guys though (if you count NN).  And I don't know how many of those he *really* wanted...

I think he went pretty hard after Shayok, which makes a lot of sense if you've seen him play this year. It was just too much ground for Wojo to make up in a short amount of time.

KenoshaWarrior

• All American
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2015, 04:20:41 PM »

Traci Carter seems to be a good test for the Wojo batting average, unless I am missing someone. 

Noskowiak,  Diamond Stone,

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2015, 04:23:02 PM »
From day one we have heard that Wojo blew people away with his interview and in particular his plan and vision for the program.  He continues to do so in every phase of running the program.  He sells the vision to the kids and they are buying it, and should be.  I can't wait to see where this program heads with Wojo's kids in it.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2015, 04:24:24 PM »
I want Wojo/MU in a future battle with blue bloods with a reputation of not losing a recruiting battle. The way to earn that reputation is to keep getting commitments from those you are recruiting.

Believe me, I love watching him get commitments the way he has. It really has felt like if Wojo goes all in on a recruit, there's better than even odds he'll get that recruit. Really hope it continues with Carter. But after Buzz putting out 30+ offers per year and landing 2-4 of those, this feels surreal. Just taking some getting used to ;D

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2015, 04:25:01 PM »

LOL

Neither of those were recruiting losses.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2015, 04:25:11 PM »

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2015, 04:51:15 PM »
LOL

Neither of those were recruiting losses.

THEIR losses, amirite?

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2015, 05:16:54 PM »

Plus Tax
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

Earl Tatum

• All American
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2015, 05:29:10 PM »
Am Disappointed that we lossed Stone. He could have stepped right in as a starting center with his defense.  The offense would
have come. Also Pritzl would have made a nice addition. One player that really hurt us was Kevon Looney. Think he will stick
around another year at UCLA. So maybe the cold and the campus being old hurt us. Also Midwest living. Think about it.

Most top recruits come from the East and most like the warm weather campuses. We have no warm weather. In Al's years
of coaching we had most of the top talent in New York and Chicago sewed up. Times have changed. To many good teams
where the top talent is. Al was a dynamic person and recruiter.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2015, 05:31:19 PM »
I love Earl.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2015, 05:34:15 PM »
I love Earl.

I'm starting to think Earl is Diamond Stone.  Would explain why he can't get a passing ACT score.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2015, 05:44:10 PM »

Now that's an out of touch post.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.