[Today at 05:29:26 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 05:04:53 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Uncle Rico
[Today at 04:46:35 PM]

NIL Future by MU82
[Today at 03:21:43 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Larry Sanders  (Read 2876 times)

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
Larry Sanders
« on: February 25, 2015, 12:30:22 PM »
Not surprising, but sad to hear.  Hope he gets things sorted out.  Depression sucks.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/12380418/larry-sanders-says-received-treatment-anxiety-depression

Groin_pull

• All American
Re: Larry Sanders
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2015, 05:05:24 PM »
Here's another, longer article

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ball-dont-lie/larry-sanders-explains-his-exit-from-the-nba---right-now-------it-s-not-there-for-me-181808329.html

"It" wasn't there for him...but you know what was? A fat NBA buyout. Must be nice to get paid millions to go away.

brandx

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2015, 05:34:05 PM »
"It" wasn't there for him...but you know what was? A fat NBA buyout. Must be nice to get paid millions to go away.

Ah.... so he only got depressed to game the system.  ::)

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2015, 05:43:25 PM »
Ah.... so he only got depressed to game the system.  ::)

You know what's really depressing? People who struggle with depression and aren't afforded the luxury of a golden parachute. Sanders was paid millions to play a little boys game...then paid millions more to go away when he completely failed to live up to his obligations.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2015, 09:42:35 PM »
You know what's really depressing? People who struggle with depression and aren't afforded the luxury of a golden parachute. Sanders was paid millions to play a little boys game...then paid millions more to go away when he completely failed to live up to his obligations.

It is depressing when people can't afford to get the treatment they need.  But that still doesn't justify ripping a guy who struggles with depression and does happen to have money.  

If you're depressed, life sucks.  And no amount of money makes you feel better.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 09:44:48 PM by GooooMarquette »

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2015, 09:53:11 PM »
It is depressing when people can't afford to get the treatment they need.  But that still doesn't justify ripping a guy who struggles with depression and does happen to have money.  

If you're depressed, life sucks.  And no amount of money makes you feel better.

Absolutely.  If anything, I respect Larry for this decision.  It shows he isn't all about money and wants to pursue some more enriching hobbies to make him happier.  I've met/worked with Sanders in person and he's a really nice, soft-spoken guy.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2015, 11:23:24 PM »
Absolutely.  If anything, I respect Larry for this decision.  It shows he isn't all about money and wants to pursue some more enriching hobbies to make him happier.  I've met/worked with Sanders in person and he's a really nice, soft-spoken guy.

Sorry, but the guy made $23 million to play 50 games.  That doesn't exactly fit the "it's not all about the money" bill.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2015, 12:03:34 AM »
Sorry, but the guy made $23 million to play 50 games.  That doesn't exactly fit the "it's not all about the money" bill.

If he got cancer, it went into remission, and he chose to step away from basketball to paint, take up the cello, live by the shore to put less stress on his body and improve his overall health so the cancer didn't return, would you have the same take?

The man has a condition, just because he has a gift that allows him to be paid well with guaranteed contracts doesn't change that.  If you quit a 9 to 5 to deal with a condition but had the option to receive all the salary you would have made in the next 2 years, would you forgo it?

And for the record, I think he handled himself unprofessionally many times in his Bucks career and think he is very fortunate to be able to have the freedom to battle his illness in the ways that he can, but I don't begrudge him his illness or accepting the money from a guaranteed contract.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2015, 01:15:14 AM by JWags85 »

Skitch

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2015, 12:41:48 AM »
The people who have a problem with the fact that he walked away with all that money need to focus their anger on the system that allowed it to happen.  The NBA and NBAPA allowed it.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2015, 10:12:49 AM »
If he got cancer, it went into remission, and he chose to step away from basketball to paint, take up the cello, live by the shore to put less stress on his body and improve his overall health so the cancer didn't return, would you have the same take?

The man has a condition, just because he has a gift that allows him to be paid well with guaranteed contracts doesn't change that.  If you quit a 9 to 5 to deal with a condition but had the option to receive all the salary you would have made in the next 2 years, would you forgo it?

And for the record, I think he handled himself unprofessionally many times in his Bucks career and think he is very fortunate to be able to have the freedom to battle his illness in the ways that he can, but I don't begrudge him his illness or accepting the money from a guaranteed contract.

I'm glad Larry is seeking out the treatment he needs to beat an illness.  I'm also glad his lawyer wrote a nice script for him to read and that his agent found someone to make a good professional video and a website that would share it with the public in order to make Larry look like the victim.  I'm just not going to say this proves that Larry isn't all about the money and that it proves that Larry isn't at fault.  Larry didn't walk away from being a millionaire.  He played 50 games and makes $23 million for it.  I wish I was in the position to take $23 million and walk away being "not all about the money."  Larry's issues go well beyond anxiety and depression and they have for a long time.  He wasn't welcome back at VCU.  Depression and anxiety didn't cause him to punch someone in a club that resulted in a broken hand, requiring surgery.

I know a number of people who battle depression and still get up and go to work every day.  Everybody fights battles in life.  I'm not saying every case of depression is the same or everybody's battles are the same, but to say that Larry's decision to "settle" for $23 million is admirable is simply something I disagree with.  I hope he finds his own inner peace, just like I hope that for everyone.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

reinko

• All American
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2015, 10:52:13 AM »
I'm glad Larry is seeking out the treatment he needs to beat an illness.  I'm also glad his lawyer wrote a nice script for him to read and that his agent found someone to make a good professional video and a website that would share it with the public in order to make Larry look like the victim.  I'm just not going to say this proves that Larry isn't all about the money and that it proves that Larry isn't at fault.  Larry didn't walk away from being a millionaire.  He played 50 games and makes $23 million for it.  I wish I was in the position to take $23 million and walk away being "not all about the money."  Larry's issues go well beyond anxiety and depression and they have for a long time.  He wasn't welcome back at VCU.  Depression and anxiety didn't cause him to punch someone in a club that resulted in a broken hand, requiring surgery.

I know a number of people who battle depression and still get up and go to work every day.  Everybody fights battles in life.  I'm not saying every case of depression is the same or everybody's battles are the same, but to say that Larry's decision to "settle" for $23 million is admirable is simply something I disagree with.  I hope he finds his own inner peace, just like I hope that for everyone.

Ummm, last time I checked Larry was not forced to sign the contract.  Methinks the Bucks took a calculated risk on a known guy with problems, and they crapped out.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2015, 10:55:13 AM »
Ummm, last time I checked Larry was not forced to sign the contract.  Methinks the Bucks took a calculated risk on a known guy with problems, and they crapped out.

Agreed.  I hated the deal from day 1.  It was a joke.  Even if he had no risks involved whatsoever, he was nowhere near worth $11 million/year.  But he "wanted" to be here, so hey, let's build our franchise around the equivalent of Juan Anderson (if you take away all the character issues).

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2015, 11:28:25 AM »

That's what a franchise does when they're desparate, hasn't done their due diligence, or pretends problems don't exist or will go away.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2015, 01:03:00 PM »

For the record, I never called the "settling", for $$, admirable.  Rather him facing his problems head on, especially something as misunderstood as depression.  As I said before, most people facing depression are not fortunate enough to set their lives on hold to get the treatment/take action the way that someone like Sanders can.  Again, this is the fault of the current structure of the NBA, not him.  You can have a job you love that you do and its "not about the money", but you aren't gonna do it for free as a result. 

He's had his issues, but I'm not gonna hold any of this recent activity against him.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2015, 04:52:30 PM »
I think just about the entire Sanders' story is bullchit. Rumors are out there a plenty includin' harder drug use. He's got 23 million reasons to play the victim card, ai na?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

MU82

• All American
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2015, 09:48:13 PM »
I thought this was going to be about the old HBO show with Garry Shandling.

That Jeffrey Tambor was really something, eh?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson