[April 18, 2024, 09:34:43 PM]

Maximilian Langenfeld by TSmith34, Inc.
[April 18, 2024, 09:22:20 PM]

MU Gear by TallTitan34
[April 18, 2024, 07:27:40 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Uncle Rico
[April 18, 2024, 05:33:25 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Thoughts after Maryland’s win over the University of Wisconsin at Madison  (Read 22015 times)

Jay Bee

• All American
Re: Thoughts after Maryland’s win over the University of Wisconsin at Madison
« Reply #50 on: February 25, 2015, 09:58:48 AM »
So everyone who graduates college is supposed to be a Fortune 500 executive?
Way to knock someone for having a job

How do you know it wasnt his moonlight job? 

I drive for Lyft and Uber on the weekends for extra money. Should I not tell people I am a Marquette grad cause it "might make us look bad"

I think it's fine to tell them you're a Marquette grad as long as you also include that you were a liberal arts major. Then they'll understand.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #51 on: February 25, 2015, 10:02:10 AM »
They were 2002 champs actually.

I don't see any reason for them not to storm the court.  Yes, they're ranked, and yes, Maryland has a pretty strong hoops history, but this is a team they beat with just two losses and fresh off a Final Four appearance.  Really, they would have been a one loss team coming into tonight had Kaminsky played against Rutgers.  

THe landscape of today just seems that any win over a top 5 opponent is reason to celebrate.  And I agree with that.  It is a great accomplishment, no matter what your history is or hasn't been. Maryland hasn't exactly been tearing it up since their title season in '02 either. 

College should be about going nuts and celebrating.  

It's hard to argue with that. 
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #52 on: February 25, 2015, 10:04:13 AM »
If Leuer can get minutes, I think Frank can.

Leuer was a mid second round pick and has been an end of the bench guy his whole career.

And like Sultan said, guys like Aldridge, Bosh, or Kevin Love would eat him up.  Or even guys like Rudy Gay, Draymond Green, or James Johnson who play at the 4. He's never had to chance guys to the perimeter on defense like he would in the NBA. 

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #53 on: February 25, 2015, 10:06:25 AM »

It was an off night, but it was also the best backcourt he has played big minutes against.  He is a good player...only a sophomore.  But they will need Jackson back.

Figured that was him since he was only one I didn't recognize facially. Wells/Trimble a handful. Love watching both of them play.

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #54 on: February 25, 2015, 11:30:31 AM »
      (2) The studio announcer who ridiculed and ranted against the Maryland fans for storming the court after the 14th-ranked Terrapins defeated the fifth-ranked University of Wisconsin at Madison Badgers is a dopey, clichéd windbag.
   The Terrapins had just played very well and pulled off a nice win against a top-five team. Storm the court and go nuts, Terrapins fans. And do not let anyone, including some loudmouth sports announcer, tell you there are standards for when it is acceptable to have fun and be proud of your school.

#14 beating #5?  Move along. Nothing to see here.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #55 on: February 25, 2015, 11:32:21 AM »
#14 beating #5?  Move along. Nothing to see here.

Agreed. Sports should be treated like modern art: quietly and with great disdain.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #56 on: February 25, 2015, 12:17:39 PM »
I feel horrible for whatever NBA franchises get either Frank or Dekker.  And the Bucks will probably be the one to take Frank.

If Steve Novak can't find the court besides for with the NYK, Frank has no chance.  Frank is good in college because he's a threat to score inside and out.  Does anybody think NBA defenders will get burned by his pump fake at the top of the key only to see Frank drive uncontested for a dunk like he does in college?  Or can anybody see Frank catching the ball in the post and putting a spin move on Dwight Howard, leaving him behind for an uncontested dunk like he does in college?  Sorry, but I don't see it.  He'll be a shooter at the next level, and if Novak can't find the court with his jumper, Frank's not finding the court with his.

Sam plain and simply can't shoot.  Wasn't he known as a sharp shooter coming into UW?  His shot is more broke than teamdee's on a Monday night in Franklin, WI.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

brandx

« Reply #57 on: February 25, 2015, 12:21:24 PM »
Been warning Wosconsin-madison fans all season that they picked a real bad year to have their best team ever. With UK and Duke in particular,and even UVA and UL (with jones anyway)...really tough.

I would put Gonzaga above UL and maybe UVA. This is not like the overrated Gonzaga teams in the past

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #58 on: February 25, 2015, 12:23:20 PM »
I would put Gonzaga above UL and maybe UVA. This is not like the overrated Gonzaga teams in the past

Heard that one before.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

brandx

« Reply #59 on: February 25, 2015, 12:24:13 PM »
The problem I see with Kaminsky in the NBA is that I can't figure out a current NBA player who he reminds me of.  I can see some decent comparisons to Sam Dekker though.

Who was the center on the Pacers a few years back? Brad Miller I think.

He had a long run in the NBA and even averaged a double-double once, if I remember correctly.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 08:17:50 PM by brandx »

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #60 on: February 25, 2015, 12:28:25 PM »

That's what I've heard about Ginaaga teams in the past.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #61 on: February 25, 2015, 12:28:50 PM »

Sam plain and simply can't shoot.  Wasn't he known as a sharp shooter coming into UW?  His shot is more broke than teamdee's on a Monday night in Franklin, WI.

Agree--there are some on here who have been saying Sam will be a lottery pick the last few years.  I didnt see it then, ans I dont see it now.

brandx

« Reply #62 on: February 25, 2015, 12:29:18 PM »

And like Sultan said, guys like Aldridge, Bosh, or Kevin Love would eat him up.  Or even guys like Rudy Gay, Draymond Green, or James Johnson who play at the 4. He's never had to chance guys to the perimeter on defense like he would in the NBA. 

Whatis the point of your post? So, do you want me to post a list of NBA players who get eaten up by Aldridge, Bosh, and Love?

To make it easy, let's just say everyone they play against.

brandx

« Reply #63 on: February 25, 2015, 12:34:20 PM »
That's what I've heard about Ginaaga teams in the past.

I don't ever remember a Gonzaga team that had 2 of the top 25 players in the country in a single year. Not to mention a third guy who will probably be drafted when he comes out.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #64 on: February 25, 2015, 12:53:45 PM »
Whatis the point of your post? So, do you want me to post a list of NBA players who get eaten up by Aldridge, Bosh, and Love?

To make it easy, let's just say everyone they play against.

Which is why I listed other good but not great stretch 4s.  He was called a "tailor made stretch 4".  Aka a big guy that can shoot.  And I would argue that he can't defend stretch 4s and isn't athletic enough to create matchup problems against other 4s.  If you're talking about someone being a lottery pick, I would think you'd compare him against some of the best at his position in the NBA.

As for Brad Miller, Kamisky is a good 25-30lbs lighter than him and would need that weight to defend in the post like Miller did.

brandx

« Reply #65 on: February 25, 2015, 01:01:56 PM »
Which is why I listed other good but not great stretch 4s.  He was called a "tailor made stretch 4".  Aka a big guy that can shoot.  And I would argue that he can't defend stretch 4s and isn't athletic enough to create matchup problems against other 4s.  If you're talking about someone being a lottery pick, I would think you'd compare him against some of the best at his position in the NBA.

As for Brad Miller, Kamisky is a good 25-30lbs lighter than him and would need that weight to defend in the post like Miller did.

Then I think we probably agree.

Frank will be a good backup for quite a few years

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #66 on: February 25, 2015, 01:49:41 PM »
I don't ever remember a Gonzaga team that had 2 of the top 25 players in the country in a single year. Not to mention a third guy who will probably be drafted when he comes out.

Because they play nobody from January to March, no one will believe in them and rightly so. What's their best non-con win this year? St John's? SMU at home? Should BYU really impress anyone?

Pangos is good, but who has he done it against? Wiltjer has been great, but would he even play if he was still at UK? They have a decent team. Maybe a 1-seed, maybe even a Final Four, but nothing they have done convinces me that they'll be any better than the Gonzaga teams that flamed out early.

They played Arizona tough, but they still lost. And honestly they didn't beat anyone that is a real contender. So they won't get respect unless they are still playing in April. Certainly not before then.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #67 on: February 25, 2015, 04:48:14 PM »
Because they play nobody from January to March, no one will believe in them and rightly so. What's their best non-con win this year? St John's? SMU at home? Should BYU really impress anyone?

Hold on Wisconsin or Gonzaga?

I kid but Wisconsin's best non-con wins, Boise/Gtown/Oklahoma, all have at least 8 losses and actually matchup pretty close RPI wise to those Gonzaga's best non-con games.  Oklahoma/SMU (15/19), Gtown/St Johns (23/33), Boise/Georgia (42/39).  Gonzaga also beat UCLA (50).

Indiana is Wisconsin's best win in conference, RPI wise.  Both St Mary's and BYU for the WCC are higher than most B10 schools except for MSU/OSU/Mary and right in line with Iowa/Ill.

Wins for Wisconsin against MSU and OSU would be their best wins of the year, but neither are staggering, and resume wise, I see nothing to make a claim for Wisconsin over Gonzaga, even comparing schedules.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #68 on: February 25, 2015, 04:52:51 PM »
That's why I think Kentucky, Villanova, and Virginia should be the top three seeds, and I agree with CBB that UW isn't a Final Four team this year.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #69 on: February 25, 2015, 05:39:29 PM »

Yup, plus they have a double edged sword.  In the past, Gonzaga was Cinderella stuff that could sneak up on people.  They were good, and not known.

Now they are still good, arguably even better than say 10 years ago, but they don't sneak up on anyone.  They are a scalp.  So they go 3 months playing absolutely nobody, they aren't challenged and then BOOM, here comes a much higher step up in competition in the NCAA tournament and they look like they are running in mud.  They have a tough time staying with it.  One of the reasons why I think UW-madison doesn't go to the Final Four (and I think they are damn good), because the Big Ten isn't the crazy tough circuit it normally is.

Maybe both Gonzaga and UW-madison go far, it is a crapshoot after all, but I have much less faith in Gonzaga because they just aren't prepared year in and year out.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #70 on: February 25, 2015, 06:00:50 PM »
Team had to make an emergency landing yesterday?  That would not be fun.  Glad everyone is ok

OnWisconsin

• Starter
« Reply #71 on: February 25, 2015, 06:21:23 PM »
I struggle to see who Kaminsky will defend.  Okafor ate him for lunch in Madison earlier this year.

Not really...

Their guards on the other hand.. made us look bad.

OnWisconsin

• Starter
« Reply #72 on: February 25, 2015, 06:40:05 PM »
I feel horrible for whatever NBA franchises get either Frank or Dekker.  And the Bucks will probably be the one to take Frank.

If Steve Novak can't find the court besides for with the NYK, Frank has no chance.  Frank is good in college because he's a threat to score inside and out.  Does anybody think NBA defenders will get burned by his pump fake at the top of the key only to see Frank drive uncontested for a dunk like he does in college?  Or can anybody see Frank catching the ball in the post and putting a spin move on Dwight Howard, leaving him behind for an uncontested dunk like he does in college?  Sorry, but I don't see it.  He'll be a shooter at the next level, and if Novak can't find the court with his jumper, Frank's not finding the court with his.

Let's give these guys at least a chance before we go and call them busts. Kaminsky and Dekker will probably both have better NBA careers than Novak.

For a little perspective, Dekker shoots it better than Wes Matthews did in college. As for how Wes has shot in the NBA.. quite impressive. Take off the blinders, and stop acting like 21 year olds can't improve.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #73 on: February 25, 2015, 06:40:56 PM »

Let's give these guys at least a chance before we go and call them busts. Kaminsky and Dekker will probably both have better NBA careers than Novak.

For a little perspective, Dekker shoots it better than Wes Matthews did in college. As for how Wes has shot in the NBA.. quite impressive. Take off the blinders, and stop acting like 21 year olds can't improve.

Is Buzz Williams around to unleash Dekker?

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #74 on: February 25, 2015, 08:59:08 PM »

I'm sure they'll follow in the proud footsteps of Bo Ryan recruits in the NBA, like Alando Tucker, Jon Leuer, and Greg Stiemsma.

Before you project them as better than Novak, realize how few guys play a decade in the league. I wouldn't be all that confident either of those two play that long or well.