[Today at 12:06:20 PM]

MU Gear by Pepe Sylvia
[Today at 11:45:12 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Uncle Rico
[Today at 11:43:51 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[Today at 11:11:25 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Thoughts after Maryland’s win over the University of Wisconsin at Madison  (Read 22018 times)

MU Avenue

• Team Captain
   (1) Frank Kaminsky has become a fine, fine collegiate basketball player. It seems unlikely, however, that he will be much of a pro. He just does not have the stuff of a high-level NBA player.

(2) The studio announcer who ridiculed and ranted against the Maryland fans for storming the court after the 14th-ranked Terrapins defeated the fifth-ranked University of Wisconsin at Madison Badgers is a dopey, clichéd windbag.
   The Terrapins had just played very well and pulled off a nice win against a top-five team. Storm the court and go nuts, Terrapins fans. And do not let anyone, including some loudmouth sports announcer, tell you there are standards for when it is acceptable to have fun and be proud of your school.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
   (1) Frank Kaminsky has become a fine, fine collegiate basketball player. It seems unlikely, however, that he will be much of a pro. He just does not have the stuff of a high-level NBA player.

Disagree, with all of the pick and roll, pick and pop action the NBA loves to run, his game is tailor made for that.  And shooters his size are very hard to find.  I think he has a solid 10 year NBA career. 

VegasWarrior77

• All American
Jon Rothstein ‏@JonRothstein  10m10 minutes ago
Mark Turgeon just started his press conference. Then Bo Ryan came in and said "We have a flight to catch". Classic stuff.
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein

Tugg Speedman

• All American
   (2) The studio announcer who ridiculed and ranted against the Maryland fans for storming the court after the 14th-ranked Terrapins defeated the fifth-ranked University of Wisconsin at Madison Badgers is a dopey, clichéd windbag.

That was Seth Greenberg, two coaches ago at Virginia Tech.

His point was Maryland is #14 playing at home against #5.  A nice win but hardly a program defining event ... especially for a program that won a national championship in 2002.  Storming the court was not necessary.

By storming the court, is Maryland is announcing to the world they are second division B1G team?  So when they beat the top team, it's a big deal?
« Last Edit: February 24, 2015, 08:56:38 PM by Heisenberg »

HutchwasClutch

• All American

His point was Maryland is #14 playing at home against #5.  A nice win but hardly a program defining event ... especially for a program that won a national championship in 2000.  Storming the court was not necessary.

By storming the court, is Maryland is announcing to the world they are second division B1G team?  So when they beat the top team, it's a big deal?

They were 2002 champs actually.

I don't see any reason for them not to storm the court.  Yes, they're ranked, and yes, Maryland has a pretty strong hoops history, but this is a team they beat with just two losses and fresh off a Final Four appearance.  Really, they would have been a one loss team coming into tonight had Kaminsky played against Rutgers.  

THe landscape of today just seems that any win over a top 5 opponent is reason to celebrate.  And I agree with that.  It is a great accomplishment, no matter what your history is or hasn't been. Maryland hasn't exactly been tearing it up since their title season in '02 either. 

College should be about going nuts and celebrating.  

chapman

• All American
If they stormed the court, it must have been an embarrassing loss on national television for the Badgers.

MattyWarrior

• All American
Who cares about the Badgers?

4everwarriors

• All American
Yeah, but Greenberg has some hot ass daughters, ai na?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

HutchwasClutch

• All American

Who cares about college lacrosse, even if it is MU's program, but that thread still hasn't been moved to Superbar.  

The Badgers losing is always a topic I enjoy.

GurneeHitchkr

• Starter
I was impressed how the Maryland security detail handled the situation.  They kept the players and coaches separated from the fans storming the court protecting the players.  Good balance of safety yet allowing the fans to enjoy the win.  Unlike the Kansas State situation where security totally failed to protect the opposing team.

I look forward to see how the Bradley Center security handle things in the next year or two when we knock off some top ranked teams and our fans go nuts!

MUfan12

• All American
Re: Thoughts after Maryland’s win over the University of Wisconsin at Madison
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2015, 08:44:07 PM »
For a laugh, check out Bomani Jones and on twitter. He criticized UW's slow play and is getting the usual thinly veiled racism from UW fans.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2015, 08:46:19 PM »
Bronson Koenig is a fine player, but Jackson is a better defender when you have quick guards like that out there.  Wisconsin is still a like F4 team though unless they get in Kentucky's region. Imo the third best team in the country.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2015, 08:48:22 PM by The Sultan of Sunshine »

MU Avenue

• Team Captain
I understand your point, Heisenberg
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2015, 08:46:53 PM »
That was Seth Greenberg, two coaches ago at Virginia Tech.

His point was Maryland is #14 playing at home against #5.  A nice win but hardly a program defining event ... especially for a program that won a national championship in 2000.  Storming the court was not necessary.

But all of what you have written, including your interpretation of Seth Greenberg’s silly rant, suggests that there is some higher meaning to collegiate sports and that fans should live in restrained worlds of pretend.

Maryland is having a nice season, reflected in its being ranked 14th in the country. That said, the Terrapins’ win over a solid, top-five University of Wisconsin at Madison team is exciting and reason for celebration.

The “act like you’ve been there before” philosophy is nonsense. Maryland fans neither admitted nor conceded anything about their university or their basketball team by rushing the court and basking in a nice win over a good team.

These standards for when and how much fans should celebrate are artificial and clichéd. I am certain the coaches and players from the University of Wisconsin at Madison feel no better about this loss because the Maryland fans charged the court in celebration.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2015, 08:47:51 PM »
Bronson Koenig is a fine player, but Jackson is a better defender when you have quick guards like that out there.  Wisconsin is still a like F4 team though unless they get in Kentucky's region. Imo the second best team in the country.

They got smoked at home by Duke.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2015, 08:49:16 PM »

Ha. I just edited my post as you typed this.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2015, 08:50:33 PM »
Ha. I just edited my post as you typed this.

Haha good call.

The Badgers are very good.  I think if they match up with a team that can get physical defensively on Kaminsky and keep Hayes in check they could be in some trouble in the NCAAs.  But they can win games in more ways than 1, which is key in the NCAAs.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2015, 08:50:47 PM »
Bronson Koenig is a fine player, but Jackson is a better defender when you have quick guards like that out there.  Wisconsin is still a like F4 team though unless they get in Kentucky's region. Imo the third best team in the country.

Yes, he's a better defender than Koenig, but they still lost to Duke w/ Jackson, and a lot of that was Duke's quickness of the dribble overwhelmed UW.

The Badgers have issues with quick, penetrating guards and wings.  I think even with Jackson in there they do.   I saw Minnesota get to the basket on a few occasions Saturday without to much trouble.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2015, 08:53:00 PM by HutchwasClutch »

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2015, 08:58:27 PM »
Since Maryland beat Bucky, does this also mean they lost Stone to the Terrapins as well?

Tugg Speedman

• All American
Re: I understand your point, Heisenberg
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2015, 08:59:35 PM »
   But all of what you have written, including your interpretation of Seth Greenberg’s silly rant, suggests that there is some higher meaning to collegiate sports and that fans should live in restrained worlds of pretend.

Maryland is having a nice season, reflected in its being ranked 14th in the country. That said, the Terrapins’ win over a solid, top-five University of Wisconsin at Madison team is exciting and reason for celebration.

The “act like you’ve been there before” philosophy is nonsense. Maryland fans neither admitted nor conceded anything about their university or their basketball team by rushing the court and basking in a nice win over a good team.

These standards for when and how much fans should celebrate are artificial and clichéd. I am certain the coaches and players from the University of Wisconsin at Madison feel no better about this loss because the Maryland fans charged the court in celebration.

Why not have every home game everywhere end with a storming of the court?

Gato78

• Team Captain
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2015, 09:02:25 PM »
Brian Butch was very similar with pick and pop skills. Got him nowhere in the NBA. I always assess college centers by comparing to Tyson Chandler--a frickin' monster compared to Kaminsky. I am not dismissing Kaminsky--I am just not sure. Can a GM with a lotto pick stake his career on Kaminsky? I wouldn't.

Disagree, with all of the pick and roll, pick and pop action the NBA loves to run, his game is tailor made for that.  And shooters his size are very hard to find.  I think he has a solid 10 year NBA career. 

Anti-Dentite

• All American
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2015, 09:05:41 PM »
Why not have every home game everywhere end with a storming of the court?

Let's do it and if the game wasn't that great we can just mill about.
You know the difference between a dentist and a sadist, don't you? Newer magazines.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2015, 09:12:01 PM »
Let's do it and if the game wasn't that great we can just mill about.

Perfect!  But instead of storming, maybe we could just saunter onto the court.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2015, 09:13:11 PM »
Brian Butch was very similar with pick and pop skills. Got him nowhere in the NBA. I always assess college centers by comparing to Tyson Chandler--a frickin' monster compared to Kaminsky. I am not dismissing Kaminsky--I am just not sure. Can a GM with a lotto pick stake his career on Kaminsky? I wouldn't.

Brian Butch was a complete stiff.  Kaminsky is way more skilled and athletic.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2015, 09:31:43 PM »

So what. They are a sh##ton better than we are.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2015, 10:07:18 PM »
So what. They are a sh##ton better than we are.

...so they aren't the 2nd best team in the country? Not sure what you're arguing about here...

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2015, 10:15:31 PM »
The bartender and I bonded during the game because he is a Maryland grad.  I was drinking Oskar Blues "Chub"   Nice stout that went perfectly with a brat. Waited for him to buy a round but he was too cheap.

Anti-Dentite

• All American
« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2015, 10:16:01 PM »
Perfect!  But instead of storming, maybe we could just saunter onto the court.
That's it, we could become known for our indifferent celebration satisfying both the pro and anti storming crowd.
You know the difference between a dentist and a sadist, don't you? Newer magazines.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2015, 10:16:56 PM »
Brian Butch was a complete stiff.  Kaminsky is way more skilled and athletic.

I struggle to see who Kaminsky will defend.  Okafor ate him for lunch in Madison earlier this year.  He hasn't had to do more than sit inside and swat smaller players, but there will be a lot more guys like Okafor at the next level.  He's more athletic than Butch but I don't think he's as smooth as a guy like Mirotic.  He can be a rotation guy but I can't see him being a starter.  I think he's a better version of someone like Ryan Kelly who is barely sticking in the league.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2015, 10:40:59 PM »
The bartender and I bonded during the game because he is a Maryland grad.  I was drinking Oskar Blues "Chub"   Nice stout that went perfectly with a brat. Waited for him to buy a round but he was too cheap.

"Old Chub" officially...and I'm drinking one right now.  It's a staple of mine around here.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2015, 10:52:28 PM »
I contend that this is the year everyone thinks UW makes the Final Four, and they will go out before that.  Last year, Final Four not all that surprising.

The Big Ten isn't that great this year, they haven't been tested and certain kids of teams will give them fits.

All comes down to the draw and the crap shoot that is the tournament.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2015, 10:54:12 PM »
I contend that this is the year everyone thinks UW makes the Final Four, and they will go out before that.  Last year, Final Four not all that surprising.

The Big Ten isn't that great this year, they haven't been tested and certain kids of teams will give them fits.

Agreed with this part.  I would be surprised to see UW in the FF again.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2015, 10:59:43 PM »
Can't win on national TV.

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #32 on: February 25, 2015, 01:04:41 AM »

Poor man's LaMarcus Aldridge.
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #33 on: February 25, 2015, 04:58:36 AM »

Back in my day it was UCLA and then everyone else. I think Kentucky has a shot at being the first undefeated team since Indiana back in 1976. What do you all think?

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #34 on: February 25, 2015, 05:09:11 AM »
Back in my day it was UCLA and then everyone else. I think Kentucky has a shot at being the first undefeated team since Indiana back in 1976. What do you all think?

I've felt that way since the season started. Maybe Duke or Virginia can give them a run, and teams have pushed them to the brink, but when it matters they just buckle down and win. I think Cal has a real chance at 40-0.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #35 on: February 25, 2015, 07:25:57 AM »

Been warning Wosconsin-madison fans all season that they picked a real bad year to have their best team ever. With UK and Duke in particular,and even UVA and UL (with jones anyway)...really tough.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #36 on: February 25, 2015, 07:33:38 AM »
+Infinigazillion
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #37 on: February 25, 2015, 07:59:05 AM »
The best part about Wisconsin losing is al reading my cousin's Facebook posts afterwards. He is an insufferable douche about UW sports, and he didn't even go to school there. He has to share about a dozen posts after every win and  is a super sore loser.

Last night he was angry with the Big Ten for letting Maryland into the conference.  LOL.
Have some patience, FFS.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #38 on: February 25, 2015, 08:04:16 AM »
The bartender and I bonded during the game because he is a Maryland grad.  I was drinking Oskar Blues "Chub"   Nice stout that went perfectly with a brat. Waited for him to buy a round but he was too cheap.

Terps grad, now a bartender, hey? Awesome.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #39 on: February 25, 2015, 08:21:06 AM »
The problem I see with Kaminsky in the NBA is that I can't figure out a current NBA player who he reminds me of.  I can see some decent comparisons to Sam Dekker though.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #40 on: February 25, 2015, 09:04:58 AM »
The problem I see with Kaminsky in the NBA is that I can't figure out a current NBA player who he reminds me of.  I can see some decent comparisons to Sam Dekker though.

Dekker will have a better and longer career than Kaminsky.

Kaminsky will be abused playing center by half the league, the only good thing for him is the other half of the league's centers are also garbage.

KenoshaWarrior

• All American
« Reply #41 on: February 25, 2015, 09:13:20 AM »

I agree.  Guy could be a good NBA player

KenoshaWarrior

• All American
« Reply #42 on: February 25, 2015, 09:18:00 AM »

Terps grad, now a bartender, hey? Awesome.

So everyone who graduates college is supposed to be a Fortune 500 executive?
Way to knock someone for having a job

How do you know it wasnt his moonlight job? 

I drive for Lyft and Uber on the weekends for extra money. Should I not tell people I am a Marquette grad cause it "might make us look bad"

Grow up dude

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #43 on: February 25, 2015, 09:19:12 AM »
Guy won't/won't have to play with his back to the basket in the NBA. Guys has a tailor made stretch 4 game.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #44 on: February 25, 2015, 09:24:42 AM »

Is Koening the guard last night who missed every shot he took, and some of them being very poorly timed early possession jumpers?

I've only watched Wisconsin thrice this season (@MU, @Rutgers, last night) so I'm not as familiar as years past but the guard who did the above seemed to not have any qualms about taking the shots which made me wonder if it was an off night for him or if Maryland's scout was to dare him to shoot.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #45 on: February 25, 2015, 09:25:52 AM »
Guy won't/won't have to play with his back to the basket in the NBA. Guys has a tailor made stretch 4 game.

I just don't think he's going to be able to guard a typical NBA stretch 4.  

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #46 on: February 25, 2015, 09:27:28 AM »
Is Koening the guard last night who missed every shot he took, and some of them being very poorly timed early possession jumpers?

I've only watched Wisconsin thrice this season (@MU, @Rutgers, last night) so I'm not as familiar as years past but the guard who did the above seemed to not have any qualms about taking the shots which made me wonder if it was an off night for him or if Maryland's scout was to dare him to shoot.

It was an off night, but it was also the best backcourt he has played big minutes against.  He is a good player...only a sophomore.  But they will need Jackson back.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #47 on: February 25, 2015, 09:30:27 AM »
The problem I see with Kaminsky in the NBA is that I can't figure out a current NBA player who he reminds me of.

If Leuer can get minutes, I think Frank can.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #48 on: February 25, 2015, 09:48:09 AM »

I've read Kelly Olynyk as a comparison.  A backup C that can score and rebound a little.  Maybe Bill Wennington with more range for an older comparison.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #49 on: February 25, 2015, 09:52:52 AM »

I drive for Lyft and Uber on the weekends for extra money. Should I not tell people I am a Marquette grad cause it "might make us look bad"

Grow up dude

Hey, then maybe you've driven me? How was the tip?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #50 on: February 25, 2015, 09:58:48 AM »

I think it's fine to tell them you're a Marquette grad as long as you also include that you were a liberal arts major. Then they'll understand.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #51 on: February 25, 2015, 10:02:10 AM »
They were 2002 champs actually.

I don't see any reason for them not to storm the court.  Yes, they're ranked, and yes, Maryland has a pretty strong hoops history, but this is a team they beat with just two losses and fresh off a Final Four appearance.  Really, they would have been a one loss team coming into tonight had Kaminsky played against Rutgers.  

THe landscape of today just seems that any win over a top 5 opponent is reason to celebrate.  And I agree with that.  It is a great accomplishment, no matter what your history is or hasn't been. Maryland hasn't exactly been tearing it up since their title season in '02 either. 

College should be about going nuts and celebrating.  

It's hard to argue with that. 
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #52 on: February 25, 2015, 10:04:13 AM »
If Leuer can get minutes, I think Frank can.

Leuer was a mid second round pick and has been an end of the bench guy his whole career.

And like Sultan said, guys like Aldridge, Bosh, or Kevin Love would eat him up.  Or even guys like Rudy Gay, Draymond Green, or James Johnson who play at the 4. He's never had to chance guys to the perimeter on defense like he would in the NBA. 

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #53 on: February 25, 2015, 10:06:25 AM »

It was an off night, but it was also the best backcourt he has played big minutes against.  He is a good player...only a sophomore.  But they will need Jackson back.

Figured that was him since he was only one I didn't recognize facially. Wells/Trimble a handful. Love watching both of them play.

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #54 on: February 25, 2015, 11:30:31 AM »
   The Terrapins had just played very well and pulled off a nice win against a top-five team. Storm the court and go nuts, Terrapins fans. And do not let anyone, including some loudmouth sports announcer, tell you there are standards for when it is acceptable to have fun and be proud of your school.

#14 beating #5?  Move along. Nothing to see here.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #55 on: February 25, 2015, 11:32:21 AM »
#14 beating #5?  Move along. Nothing to see here.

Agreed. Sports should be treated like modern art: quietly and with great disdain.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #56 on: February 25, 2015, 12:17:39 PM »
I feel horrible for whatever NBA franchises get either Frank or Dekker.  And the Bucks will probably be the one to take Frank.

If Steve Novak can't find the court besides for with the NYK, Frank has no chance.  Frank is good in college because he's a threat to score inside and out.  Does anybody think NBA defenders will get burned by his pump fake at the top of the key only to see Frank drive uncontested for a dunk like he does in college?  Or can anybody see Frank catching the ball in the post and putting a spin move on Dwight Howard, leaving him behind for an uncontested dunk like he does in college?  Sorry, but I don't see it.  He'll be a shooter at the next level, and if Novak can't find the court with his jumper, Frank's not finding the court with his.

Sam plain and simply can't shoot.  Wasn't he known as a sharp shooter coming into UW?  His shot is more broke than teamdee's on a Monday night in Franklin, WI.

brandx

« Reply #57 on: February 25, 2015, 12:21:24 PM »
Been warning Wosconsin-madison fans all season that they picked a real bad year to have their best team ever. With UK and Duke in particular,and even UVA and UL (with jones anyway)...really tough.

I would put Gonzaga above UL and maybe UVA. This is not like the overrated Gonzaga teams in the past

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #58 on: February 25, 2015, 12:23:20 PM »
I would put Gonzaga above UL and maybe UVA. This is not like the overrated Gonzaga teams in the past

Heard that one before.

brandx

« Reply #59 on: February 25, 2015, 12:24:13 PM »
The problem I see with Kaminsky in the NBA is that I can't figure out a current NBA player who he reminds me of.  I can see some decent comparisons to Sam Dekker though.

Who was the center on the Pacers a few years back? Brad Miller I think.

He had a long run in the NBA and even averaged a double-double once, if I remember correctly.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 08:17:50 PM by brandx »

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #60 on: February 25, 2015, 12:28:25 PM »

That's what I've heard about Ginaaga teams in the past.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #61 on: February 25, 2015, 12:28:50 PM »

Sam plain and simply can't shoot.  Wasn't he known as a sharp shooter coming into UW?  His shot is more broke than teamdee's on a Monday night in Franklin, WI.

Agree--there are some on here who have been saying Sam will be a lottery pick the last few years.  I didnt see it then, ans I dont see it now.

brandx

« Reply #62 on: February 25, 2015, 12:29:18 PM »

And like Sultan said, guys like Aldridge, Bosh, or Kevin Love would eat him up.  Or even guys like Rudy Gay, Draymond Green, or James Johnson who play at the 4. He's never had to chance guys to the perimeter on defense like he would in the NBA. 

Whatis the point of your post? So, do you want me to post a list of NBA players who get eaten up by Aldridge, Bosh, and Love?

To make it easy, let's just say everyone they play against.

brandx

« Reply #63 on: February 25, 2015, 12:34:20 PM »
That's what I've heard about Ginaaga teams in the past.

I don't ever remember a Gonzaga team that had 2 of the top 25 players in the country in a single year. Not to mention a third guy who will probably be drafted when he comes out.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #64 on: February 25, 2015, 12:53:45 PM »
Whatis the point of your post? So, do you want me to post a list of NBA players who get eaten up by Aldridge, Bosh, and Love?

To make it easy, let's just say everyone they play against.

Which is why I listed other good but not great stretch 4s.  He was called a "tailor made stretch 4".  Aka a big guy that can shoot.  And I would argue that he can't defend stretch 4s and isn't athletic enough to create matchup problems against other 4s.  If you're talking about someone being a lottery pick, I would think you'd compare him against some of the best at his position in the NBA.

As for Brad Miller, Kamisky is a good 25-30lbs lighter than him and would need that weight to defend in the post like Miller did.

brandx

« Reply #65 on: February 25, 2015, 01:01:56 PM »
Which is why I listed other good but not great stretch 4s.  He was called a "tailor made stretch 4".  Aka a big guy that can shoot.  And I would argue that he can't defend stretch 4s and isn't athletic enough to create matchup problems against other 4s.  If you're talking about someone being a lottery pick, I would think you'd compare him against some of the best at his position in the NBA.

As for Brad Miller, Kamisky is a good 25-30lbs lighter than him and would need that weight to defend in the post like Miller did.

Then I think we probably agree.

Frank will be a good backup for quite a few years

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #66 on: February 25, 2015, 01:49:41 PM »
I don't ever remember a Gonzaga team that had 2 of the top 25 players in the country in a single year. Not to mention a third guy who will probably be drafted when he comes out.

Because they play nobody from January to March, no one will believe in them and rightly so. What's their best non-con win this year? St John's? SMU at home? Should BYU really impress anyone?

Pangos is good, but who has he done it against? Wiltjer has been great, but would he even play if he was still at UK? They have a decent team. Maybe a 1-seed, maybe even a Final Four, but nothing they have done convinces me that they'll be any better than the Gonzaga teams that flamed out early.

They played Arizona tough, but they still lost. And honestly they didn't beat anyone that is a real contender. So they won't get respect unless they are still playing in April. Certainly not before then.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #67 on: February 25, 2015, 04:48:14 PM »
Because they play nobody from January to March, no one will believe in them and rightly so. What's their best non-con win this year? St John's? SMU at home? Should BYU really impress anyone?

Hold on Wisconsin or Gonzaga?

I kid but Wisconsin's best non-con wins, Boise/Gtown/Oklahoma, all have at least 8 losses and actually matchup pretty close RPI wise to those Gonzaga's best non-con games.  Oklahoma/SMU (15/19), Gtown/St Johns (23/33), Boise/Georgia (42/39).  Gonzaga also beat UCLA (50).

Indiana is Wisconsin's best win in conference, RPI wise.  Both St Mary's and BYU for the WCC are higher than most B10 schools except for MSU/OSU/Mary and right in line with Iowa/Ill.

Wins for Wisconsin against MSU and OSU would be their best wins of the year, but neither are staggering, and resume wise, I see nothing to make a claim for Wisconsin over Gonzaga, even comparing schedules.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #68 on: February 25, 2015, 04:52:51 PM »
That's why I think Kentucky, Villanova, and Virginia should be the top three seeds, and I agree with CBB that UW isn't a Final Four team this year.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #69 on: February 25, 2015, 05:39:29 PM »

Yup, plus they have a double edged sword.  In the past, Gonzaga was Cinderella stuff that could sneak up on people.  They were good, and not known.

Now they are still good, arguably even better than say 10 years ago, but they don't sneak up on anyone.  They are a scalp.  So they go 3 months playing absolutely nobody, they aren't challenged and then BOOM, here comes a much higher step up in competition in the NCAA tournament and they look like they are running in mud.  They have a tough time staying with it.  One of the reasons why I think UW-madison doesn't go to the Final Four (and I think they are damn good), because the Big Ten isn't the crazy tough circuit it normally is.

Maybe both Gonzaga and UW-madison go far, it is a crapshoot after all, but I have much less faith in Gonzaga because they just aren't prepared year in and year out.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #70 on: February 25, 2015, 06:00:50 PM »
Team had to make an emergency landing yesterday?  That would not be fun.  Glad everyone is ok

OnWisconsin

• Starter
« Reply #71 on: February 25, 2015, 06:21:23 PM »
I struggle to see who Kaminsky will defend.  Okafor ate him for lunch in Madison earlier this year.

Not really...

Their guards on the other hand.. made us look bad.

OnWisconsin

• Starter
« Reply #72 on: February 25, 2015, 06:40:05 PM »
I feel horrible for whatever NBA franchises get either Frank or Dekker.  And the Bucks will probably be the one to take Frank.

If Steve Novak can't find the court besides for with the NYK, Frank has no chance.  Frank is good in college because he's a threat to score inside and out.  Does anybody think NBA defenders will get burned by his pump fake at the top of the key only to see Frank drive uncontested for a dunk like he does in college?  Or can anybody see Frank catching the ball in the post and putting a spin move on Dwight Howard, leaving him behind for an uncontested dunk like he does in college?  Sorry, but I don't see it.  He'll be a shooter at the next level, and if Novak can't find the court with his jumper, Frank's not finding the court with his.

Let's give these guys at least a chance before we go and call them busts. Kaminsky and Dekker will probably both have better NBA careers than Novak.

For a little perspective, Dekker shoots it better than Wes Matthews did in college. As for how Wes has shot in the NBA.. quite impressive. Take off the blinders, and stop acting like 21 year olds can't improve.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #73 on: February 25, 2015, 06:40:56 PM »

Let's give these guys at least a chance before we go and call them busts. Kaminsky and Dekker will probably both have better NBA careers than Novak.

For a little perspective, Dekker shoots it better than Wes Matthews did in college. As for how Wes has shot in the NBA.. quite impressive. Take off the blinders, and stop acting like 21 year olds can't improve.

Is Buzz Williams around to unleash Dekker?

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #74 on: February 25, 2015, 08:59:08 PM »

I'm sure they'll follow in the proud footsteps of Bo Ryan recruits in the NBA, like Alando Tucker, Jon Leuer, and Greg Stiemsma.

Before you project them as better than Novak, realize how few guys play a decade in the league. I wouldn't be all that confident either of those two play that long or well.

OnWisconsin

• Starter
« Reply #75 on: February 25, 2015, 09:19:03 PM »
I'm sure they'll follow in the proud footsteps of Bo Ryan recruits in the NBA, like Alando Tucker, Jon Leuer, and Greg Stiemsma.

Before you project them as better than Novak, realize how few guys play a decade in the league. I wouldn't be all that confident either of those two play that long or well.

I get it, Marquette has better NBA players, and that's definitely something to be proud of. However, I'm much more interested in what these guys do while they are still in college.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #76 on: February 25, 2015, 09:26:59 PM »
I get it, Marquette has better NBA players, and that's definitely something to be proud of. However, I'm much more interested in what these guys do while they are still in college.

You come to talk trash about how good they'll be in the NBA then get butt hurt when someone calls you on your school's NBA history? Welcome to the internet. Maybe if you stopped trolling you wouldn't have these problems.

OnWisconsin

• Starter
« Reply #77 on: February 25, 2015, 10:32:35 PM »
You come to talk trash about how good they'll be in the NBA then get butt hurt when someone calls you on your school's NBA history? Welcome to the internet. Maybe if you stopped trolling you wouldn't have these problems.

I'm doing fine. Never said Dekker or Kaminsky would be great in the NBA.

wadesworld

• All American
Heard that one before.

Yeah, heard that one before.

feedback