[April 18, 2024, 09:34:43 PM]

Maximilian Langenfeld by TSmith34, Inc.
[April 18, 2024, 09:22:20 PM]

MU Gear by TallTitan34
[April 18, 2024, 07:27:40 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Uncle Rico
[April 18, 2024, 05:33:25 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Thoughts after Maryland’s win over the University of Wisconsin at Madison  (Read 22016 times)

MU Avenue

• Team Captain
   (1) Frank Kaminsky has become a fine, fine collegiate basketball player. It seems unlikely, however, that he will be much of a pro. He just does not have the stuff of a high-level NBA player.

(2) The studio announcer who ridiculed and ranted against the Maryland fans for storming the court after the 14th-ranked Terrapins defeated the fifth-ranked University of Wisconsin at Madison Badgers is a dopey, clichéd windbag.
   The Terrapins had just played very well and pulled off a nice win against a top-five team. Storm the court and go nuts, Terrapins fans. And do not let anyone, including some loudmouth sports announcer, tell you there are standards for when it is acceptable to have fun and be proud of your school.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
   (1) Frank Kaminsky has become a fine, fine collegiate basketball player. It seems unlikely, however, that he will be much of a pro. He just does not have the stuff of a high-level NBA player.

Disagree, with all of the pick and roll, pick and pop action the NBA loves to run, his game is tailor made for that.  And shooters his size are very hard to find.  I think he has a solid 10 year NBA career. 

VegasWarrior77

• All American
Jon Rothstein ‏@JonRothstein  10m10 minutes ago
Mark Turgeon just started his press conference. Then Bo Ryan came in and said "We have a flight to catch". Classic stuff.
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein

Tugg Speedman

• All American
   (2) The studio announcer who ridiculed and ranted against the Maryland fans for storming the court after the 14th-ranked Terrapins defeated the fifth-ranked University of Wisconsin at Madison Badgers is a dopey, clichéd windbag.

That was Seth Greenberg, two coaches ago at Virginia Tech.

His point was Maryland is #14 playing at home against #5.  A nice win but hardly a program defining event ... especially for a program that won a national championship in 2002.  Storming the court was not necessary.

By storming the court, is Maryland is announcing to the world they are second division B1G team?  So when they beat the top team, it's a big deal?
« Last Edit: February 24, 2015, 08:56:38 PM by Heisenberg »

HutchwasClutch

• All American

His point was Maryland is #14 playing at home against #5.  A nice win but hardly a program defining event ... especially for a program that won a national championship in 2000.  Storming the court was not necessary.

By storming the court, is Maryland is announcing to the world they are second division B1G team?  So when they beat the top team, it's a big deal?

They were 2002 champs actually.

I don't see any reason for them not to storm the court.  Yes, they're ranked, and yes, Maryland has a pretty strong hoops history, but this is a team they beat with just two losses and fresh off a Final Four appearance.  Really, they would have been a one loss team coming into tonight had Kaminsky played against Rutgers.  

THe landscape of today just seems that any win over a top 5 opponent is reason to celebrate.  And I agree with that.  It is a great accomplishment, no matter what your history is or hasn't been. Maryland hasn't exactly been tearing it up since their title season in '02 either. 

College should be about going nuts and celebrating.  

chapman

• All American
If they stormed the court, it must have been an embarrassing loss on national television for the Badgers.

MattyWarrior

• All American
Who cares about the Badgers?

4everwarriors

• All American
Yeah, but Greenberg has some hot ass daughters, ai na?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

HutchwasClutch

• All American
Who cares about the Badgers?

Who cares about college lacrosse, even if it is MU's program, but that thread still hasn't been moved to Superbar.  

The Badgers losing is always a topic I enjoy.

GurneeHitchkr

• Starter
I was impressed how the Maryland security detail handled the situation.  They kept the players and coaches separated from the fans storming the court protecting the players.  Good balance of safety yet allowing the fans to enjoy the win.  Unlike the Kansas State situation where security totally failed to protect the opposing team.

I look forward to see how the Bradley Center security handle things in the next year or two when we knock off some top ranked teams and our fans go nuts!

MUfan12

• All American
Re: Thoughts after Maryland’s win over the University of Wisconsin at Madison
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2015, 08:44:07 PM »
For a laugh, check out Bomani Jones and on twitter. He criticized UW's slow play and is getting the usual thinly veiled racism from UW fans.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2015, 08:46:19 PM »
Bronson Koenig is a fine player, but Jackson is a better defender when you have quick guards like that out there.  Wisconsin is still a like F4 team though unless they get in Kentucky's region. Imo the third best team in the country.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2015, 08:48:22 PM by The Sultan of Sunshine »

MU Avenue

• Team Captain
I understand your point, Heisenberg
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2015, 08:46:53 PM »
That was Seth Greenberg, two coaches ago at Virginia Tech.

His point was Maryland is #14 playing at home against #5.  A nice win but hardly a program defining event ... especially for a program that won a national championship in 2000.  Storming the court was not necessary.

But all of what you have written, including your interpretation of Seth Greenberg’s silly rant, suggests that there is some higher meaning to collegiate sports and that fans should live in restrained worlds of pretend.

Maryland is having a nice season, reflected in its being ranked 14th in the country. That said, the Terrapins’ win over a solid, top-five University of Wisconsin at Madison team is exciting and reason for celebration.

The “act like you’ve been there before” philosophy is nonsense. Maryland fans neither admitted nor conceded anything about their university or their basketball team by rushing the court and basking in a nice win over a good team.

These standards for when and how much fans should celebrate are artificial and clichéd. I am certain the coaches and players from the University of Wisconsin at Madison feel no better about this loss because the Maryland fans charged the court in celebration.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2015, 08:47:51 PM »
Bronson Koenig is a fine player, but Jackson is a better defender when you have quick guards like that out there.  Wisconsin is still a like F4 team though unless they get in Kentucky's region. Imo the second best team in the country.

They got smoked at home by Duke.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2015, 08:49:16 PM »

Ha. I just edited my post as you typed this.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2015, 08:50:33 PM »
Ha. I just edited my post as you typed this.

Haha good call.

The Badgers are very good.  I think if they match up with a team that can get physical defensively on Kaminsky and keep Hayes in check they could be in some trouble in the NCAAs.  But they can win games in more ways than 1, which is key in the NCAAs.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2015, 08:50:47 PM »
Bronson Koenig is a fine player, but Jackson is a better defender when you have quick guards like that out there.  Wisconsin is still a like F4 team though unless they get in Kentucky's region. Imo the third best team in the country.

Yes, he's a better defender than Koenig, but they still lost to Duke w/ Jackson, and a lot of that was Duke's quickness of the dribble overwhelmed UW.

The Badgers have issues with quick, penetrating guards and wings.  I think even with Jackson in there they do.   I saw Minnesota get to the basket on a few occasions Saturday without to much trouble.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2015, 08:53:00 PM by HutchwasClutch »

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2015, 08:58:27 PM »
Since Maryland beat Bucky, does this also mean they lost Stone to the Terrapins as well?

Tugg Speedman

• All American
Re: I understand your point, Heisenberg
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2015, 08:59:35 PM »
   But all of what you have written, including your interpretation of Seth Greenberg’s silly rant, suggests that there is some higher meaning to collegiate sports and that fans should live in restrained worlds of pretend.

Maryland is having a nice season, reflected in its being ranked 14th in the country. That said, the Terrapins’ win over a solid, top-five University of Wisconsin at Madison team is exciting and reason for celebration.

The “act like you’ve been there before” philosophy is nonsense. Maryland fans neither admitted nor conceded anything about their university or their basketball team by rushing the court and basking in a nice win over a good team.

These standards for when and how much fans should celebrate are artificial and clichéd. I am certain the coaches and players from the University of Wisconsin at Madison feel no better about this loss because the Maryland fans charged the court in celebration.

Why not have every home game everywhere end with a storming of the court?

Gato78

• Team Captain
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2015, 09:02:25 PM »
Brian Butch was very similar with pick and pop skills. Got him nowhere in the NBA. I always assess college centers by comparing to Tyson Chandler--a frickin' monster compared to Kaminsky. I am not dismissing Kaminsky--I am just not sure. Can a GM with a lotto pick stake his career on Kaminsky? I wouldn't.

Disagree, with all of the pick and roll, pick and pop action the NBA loves to run, his game is tailor made for that.  And shooters his size are very hard to find.  I think he has a solid 10 year NBA career. 

Anti-Dentite

• All American
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2015, 09:05:41 PM »
Why not have every home game everywhere end with a storming of the court?

Let's do it and if the game wasn't that great we can just mill about.
You know the difference between a dentist and a sadist, don't you? Newer magazines.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2015, 09:12:01 PM »
Let's do it and if the game wasn't that great we can just mill about.

Perfect!  But instead of storming, maybe we could just saunter onto the court.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2015, 09:13:11 PM »
Brian Butch was very similar with pick and pop skills. Got him nowhere in the NBA. I always assess college centers by comparing to Tyson Chandler--a frickin' monster compared to Kaminsky. I am not dismissing Kaminsky--I am just not sure. Can a GM with a lotto pick stake his career on Kaminsky? I wouldn't.

Brian Butch was a complete stiff.  Kaminsky is way more skilled and athletic.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2015, 09:31:43 PM »

So what. They are a sh##ton better than we are.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2015, 10:07:18 PM »
So what. They are a sh##ton better than we are.

...so they aren't the 2nd best team in the country? Not sure what you're arguing about here...