[Today at 09:03:13 PM]

MU Gear by TallTitan34
[Today at 07:27:40 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by lawdog77
[Today at 07:14:12 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Uncle Rico
[Today at 05:33:25 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: MU Athletics Survey  (Read 20228 times)

GGGG

• All American
Re: MU Athletics Survey
« Reply #50 on: February 24, 2015, 02:49:47 PM »
We also played Rutgers and South Florida too, but they were cupcakes (at best) in the Old Big East.  Seton Hall, DePaul and Providence were also bottom-dwellers in the old conference, but they are now very competitive in conference play.

It comes down to wins.  Nothing more.  You win, more fans come.  Our schedule could have featured Duke, North Carolina, Indiana, Syracuse, UCLA, Arizona and a boat-load of other top programs, but the decreasing attendance (from MU fans/alumni) over the course of the season would have continued. 

With the rivalries that are being built in the New Big East, the competitive games will be there.  It's up to Wojo and the team to win those games and for us fans to support the team during down times (like this year).

I wholeheartedly agree with this.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #51 on: February 24, 2015, 03:15:03 PM »
Submitted my survey. Not as dismayed by the results as some may be, probably because I feel we knew it was coming and can see the turnaround as well.

I did raise issues with the scoreboard, my seating location, and the student section. It irks me that I get a better experience watching at home than I do at the game, and the scoreboard is a big part of that. Replays, updated statistics, knowing which players are actually in the game, these are all things that are lost because they waste the fantastic scoreboard we have. That needs to be improved upon.

Can't speak for everyone, but my seats have moved back for three straight seasons now. Doesn't really feel like my loyalty is rewarded when they are pushing me further and further from the action. Also...did anyone else notice the Season Ticket Holder of the Game that got his tickets within the past 5 or so years? Was early in the year, but that really irritated me. STHOG should be going to someone who has at least 30 years as a STH. Again, not rewarding loyalty, instead just handing it out to any random schmuck. And while I'm sure it's tied to donations, it undermines loyalty, which should be just as important.

I also griped about the student section. I think the students that do come do a great job, but how long can you say "best student section in the country" when I can count the number of students in the upper bowl on one hand and the lower bowl isn't filled? When they move the arena further north because UWM won't give up the old Mecca and the Bucks don't want to take the Grand Avenue location due to parking, it will only lessen the number of students that show up. We've seen what having an arena far away from campus has done to Georgetown and DePaul, and while we may not go to that level we will approach it. Walking 1.2 miles from Marquette to the BC is clearly already too much for some students in the Wisconsin winters, and while they'll fill the new arena for the first year, what will happen when the newness wears off? It will be a 1.5-2.0 mile walk, through frigid temperatures and often unshoveled sidewalks, and it will deter them.

At best we'll have the "best student section in Milwaukee". I'd love to see Marquette chip $50-100 million into the new arena in hopes of getting it closer to campus rather than further away. I know, some will question the investment, but this investment is Marquette's most visible recruiting tool, not just for athletes but for students and for the University as a whole. When they build on 4th and McKinley, it won't be good for any of us, and definitely won't help the long-term student attendance numbers.

Marquette does not have anywhere near that type of money to invest in a place they use 15-20 times a year.

BossplayaOtto

• All American
« Reply #52 on: February 24, 2015, 08:33:02 PM »
Lots of good comments.  Someone needs to copy and share with the AD.  I doubt he reads Scoop. From my point of view, these comments yield better insight than the survey.

Game day experience is critical to the long term success.

Agree. Just filled out survey and used the entire allotment of characters in the comments section as a result of reading through this thread prior to filling it out.

ducs

• Walk-On
« Reply #53 on: February 25, 2015, 09:05:32 AM »
I thought they should try to schedule some Friday night or Saturday night games next season.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #54 on: February 25, 2015, 11:05:48 AM »
I did not read all of these posts, so I do not know what others are saying. I posted that I wanted them to announce the opposing team's heights.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #55 on: February 25, 2015, 01:01:36 PM »
Whether you think MU"s game day presentation is good or bad, the fact is, not much has changed since TC revamped it in the early 2000s.  Imagine if we hired Quinn Snyder instead of TC. 

I think Crean did a lot of good for the gameday experience but we shouldn't be stuck with a program that is 10+ years old.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #56 on: February 25, 2015, 01:20:38 PM »
I thought they should try to schedule some Friday night or Saturday night games next season.

Very unlikely.  FoxS1's focus is Saturday late morning/early afternoon.  Plus both the Bucks and the Admirals have priority.  The only exception might be a night game against Bucky and what will almost certainly be an evening slot on New Year's Eve where showcasing HE might be part of the game plan.

geagles10

• Starter
« Reply #57 on: February 25, 2015, 01:25:31 PM »
On the replay topic, I was at the DePaul creighon game last night and have been to Allstate before for MU but didn't notice that they show the live FS1 feed on the jumbotron during the game, complete with being able to see many of the replays.  Maybe they usually cut them out, but at least last night I saw many replays. 

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #58 on: February 25, 2015, 01:34:20 PM »
.. Admittedly, there've been a handful of times that they DID show a replay of a controversial play at the Bradley Center this year.  My immediate reaction: Did they really just replay that? -- They'd only do it ONCE, though.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #59 on: February 25, 2015, 01:34:42 PM »
Whether you think MU"s game day presentation is good or bad, the fact is, not much has changed since TC revamped it in the early 2000s.  Imagine if we hired Quinn Snyder instead of TC. 

I think Crean did a lot of good for the gameday experience but we shouldn't be stuck with a program that is 10+ years old.

So Lens, you'd change what?  I'm told that the students today absolutely want the pregame music traditions to remain as is.  Now the in game promos could certainly use some improvement.  That damn dice roll is horrible.  And the fact that it seemingly always ends in a tie is even worse.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #60 on: February 25, 2015, 01:41:38 PM »
So Lens, you'd change what?  I'm told that the students today absolutely want the pregame music traditions to remain as is.  Now the in game promos could certainly use some improvement.  That damn dice roll is horrible.  And the fact that it seemingly always ends in a tie is even worse.

Especially with the "prethrow tie breaker". Come on, Qdoba. Forget the rock paper scissors game the crowd didn't get to see and just pay for burritos for two rows. As though the extra 14 burritos will bankrupt them.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #61 on: February 25, 2015, 01:49:51 PM »
On the replay topic, I was at the DePaul creighon game last night and have been to Allstate before for MU but didn't notice that they show the live FS1 feed on the jumbotron during the game, complete with being able to see many of the replays.  Maybe they usually cut them out, but at least last night I saw many replays. 

I went to the Marquette-DePaul game at the Allstate on NYE this year.  Remember that late charge against Luke Fischer?  They yanked the FS1 feed as they started to replay it.
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #62 on: February 25, 2015, 02:31:30 PM »
The presentation needs a revamp. Get a new light show, maybe some new material on the scoreboard during time outs, new music, get rid of the big heads, just a new look all around. It's stale as hell!

God knows I hate our mascot, but if they're going to spend money on the dumb thing then have it do something other than deliver pizzas and stand in the corner.

There is a lot that can be revamped without breaking the bank.

By the way, here's hoping Wojo recognizes that the way we have done senior day in the past is awful. That needs a revamp as well.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #63 on: February 25, 2015, 02:49:57 PM »
Notably, the band played 'You Suck' (or whatever it's called) at the Pep Rally.  Upperclassmen were totally pumped (although there was nobody to chant at) and Frosh had no idea why the crowd was all excited.  I must admit that my son takes great pride in ignoring the famous Larry email and counting himself among those loudly gesturing directly toward the Presidential skybox that fateful day (DePaul game?) after which it was forever banned by the powers that be.

Ya know what?  The students were ahead of their time with that evaluation.  ;D
« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 02:53:51 PM by jsglow »

DienerTime34

• All American
« Reply #64 on: February 25, 2015, 02:56:40 PM »
Does anyone know why the "Big Heads" get smaller every year? They were basically just the size of real heads this year.

muwar2003

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #65 on: February 26, 2015, 12:51:41 PM »
Never got a survey.  How are they supposed to get to me?  I have season tickets since 74 and have never gotten a t-shirt, pizza or anything in my row.  The price of tickets per game went down but the total price stayed amount the same because of added costs.  You can't keep on reducing the number of home games and increasing the total price of tickets.  We have to have a chance in most games.  I understand this is a throw away year.  We have all the nice facilities, conference ties and other recruiting tools.  We have to be able year after year get some good players. 

bradley center bat

• All American
« Reply #66 on: February 26, 2015, 12:56:05 PM »
The cost of tickets for single game tickets are by three price points. Season-tickets are paid by the lowest price point.

Eye

• All American
« Reply #67 on: February 28, 2015, 09:45:54 AM »
Excellent point on Senior Day. How in the world does MU not do that before the game? Been way too many Senior Day's in the last 15 years after they'd lost a heartbreaker, which killed it, a lot of times for guys who you had a decent idea were going to be in the NBA the next year.
GO WARRIORS!

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #68 on: February 28, 2015, 10:01:49 AM »
Does anyone know why the "Big Heads" get smaller every year? They were basically just the size of real heads this year.

Played out like the uniforms.   Time to switch it up. 

Perfect time now since we suck.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2015, 10:05:38 AM by Stone Cold »

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #69 on: February 28, 2015, 10:23:39 AM »

My first year in the department I was responsible for much of this stuff.  The animated videos, the lights, the music, mascot, etc.  Impossible to please everyone.  The old bluehairs would say it is too loud, or the band should play more, while others wanted lasers and God knows what. 

Crean was very involved in the game day atmosphere....I had left by then, but friends that remained in the department would tell me how overly involved he was.  No thanks...just coach and let the game day people do their jobs.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #70 on: February 28, 2015, 10:26:05 AM »
Never got a survey.  How are they supposed to get to me?  I have season tickets since 74 and have never gotten a t-shirt, pizza or anything in my row.  The price of tickets per game went down but the total price stayed amount the same because of added costs.  You can't keep on reducing the number of home games and increasing the total price of tickets.  We have to have a chance in most games.  I understand this is a throw away year.  We have all the nice facilities, conference ties and other recruiting tools.  We have to be able year after year get some good players. 

I use Gmail, and while all of my official MU ticket correspondence hits my main inbox,  I found the survey on the "Promotions" tab.  I would check any folders you have for junk mail or spam.
Have some patience, FFS.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #71 on: February 28, 2015, 10:27:49 AM »
Excellent point on Senior Day. How in the world does MU not do that before the game? Been way too many Senior Day's in the last 15 years after they'd lost a heartbreaker, which killed it, a lot of times for guys who you had a decent idea were going to be in the NBA the next year.

They've been doing it after the game for at least 25 years if not longer.

The answer is simple, they wanted to make it special and not totally scripted.  Also, they know how many "fans" don't get in their seats in time anyway so moving it before the game when so many people are still milling around, having their duds and cabernet is equally problematic.  The other reason is timing. When you have it before the game, it is tightly scripted because of TV, so you are limited in your options.

I had one coach tell me at the time they also wanted to avoid the over amping of the athlete.  In other schools he was at the kids would do the pregrame ceremony, became way too emotional, to hyped up and were a basket case for the first half of the game.

onepost

• All American
« Reply #72 on: February 28, 2015, 10:46:10 AM »
nm
« Last Edit: March 04, 2015, 10:18:17 AM by onepostellenson »

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #73 on: February 28, 2015, 10:48:02 AM »
That's funny, I could have spoken to your class this year.  We got the invite, but had to decline.  I spoke at the class probably 20 years ago.

onepost

• All American
« Reply #74 on: February 28, 2015, 10:52:34 AM »
That's funny, I could have spoken to your class this year.  We got the invite, but had to decline.  I spoke at the class probably 20 years ago.

That's a damn shame, Chicos.  Could've treated you to some Real Chili afterwards.