[Today at 07:56:17 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Nukem2
[Today at 04:02:06 PM]

Best case scenarios by Frenns Liquor Depot
[Today at 03:55:21 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[Today at 11:02:10 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: MU Athletics Survey  (Read 20275 times)

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
Re: MU Athletics Survey
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2015, 05:34:32 AM »
when they run the "jump around" song" during a game they are getting their arses kicked,  you know they are struggling with a tired routine and in dire need to make some changes.  they've been doing the same ole stuff on cue for way too long.  the pizza thing, smile cam, kiss cam....what would it take to send a committee around to different games to get some new/fresh ideas.  same with the bucks up until a few years ago anyway.  i haven't been to a game in a couple of years, but some of their stuff is so old, the big O, jonny mac and lew alcindor could still predict what was coming next.   
don't...don't don't don't don't

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2015, 06:17:03 AM »
Submitted my survey. Not as dismayed by the results as some may be, probably because I feel we knew it was coming and can see the turnaround as well.

I did raise issues with the scoreboard, my seating location, and the student section. It irks me that I get a better experience watching at home than I do at the game, and the scoreboard is a big part of that. Replays, updated statistics, knowing which players are actually in the game, these are all things that are lost because they waste the fantastic scoreboard we have. That needs to be improved upon.

Can't speak for everyone, but my seats have moved back for three straight seasons now. Doesn't really feel like my loyalty is rewarded when they are pushing me further and further from the action. Also...did anyone else notice the Season Ticket Holder of the Game that got his tickets within the past 5 or so years? Was early in the year, but that really irritated me. STHOG should be going to someone who has at least 30 years as a STH. Again, not rewarding loyalty, instead just handing it out to any random schmuck. And while I'm sure it's tied to donations, it undermines loyalty, which should be just as important.

I also griped about the student section. I think the students that do come do a great job, but how long can you say "best student section in the country" when I can count the number of students in the upper bowl on one hand and the lower bowl isn't filled? When they move the arena further north because UWM won't give up the old Mecca and the Bucks don't want to take the Grand Avenue location due to parking, it will only lessen the number of students that show up. We've seen what having an arena far away from campus has done to Georgetown and DePaul, and while we may not go to that level we will approach it. Walking 1.2 miles from Marquette to the BC is clearly already too much for some students in the Wisconsin winters, and while they'll fill the new arena for the first year, what will happen when the newness wears off? It will be a 1.5-2.0 mile walk, through frigid temperatures and often unshoveled sidewalks, and it will deter them.

At best we'll have the "best student section in Milwaukee". I'd love to see Marquette chip $50-100 million into the new arena in hopes of getting it closer to campus rather than further away. I know, some will question the investment, but this investment is Marquette's most visible recruiting tool, not just for athletes but for students and for the University as a whole. When they build on 4th and McKinley, it won't be good for any of us, and definitely won't help the long-term student attendance numbers.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2015, 06:30:39 AM »
i agree with much of what brew stated above.  my experiences have been very similar.  we have already been with the "warriors" thru thick and THIN.  now back to THIN.  how are we rewarded?  i've been moved back 3-4 times over the past re-seatings.  yes i know-just send some more coin...i know my story is probably much like many of you here.  i spent 9 years at mu-yes they have provided a nice lifestyle for me.  now i'm still paying for my 2 kids who've completed their educations and are also on their way to what should be a couple of pretty good professional careers also.  but unless i give above and beyond all that, i get penalized to the point where, yes, the experience is as good or better right at home on my 60 incher, no freeway bgack ups, parking issues or waiting in lines. i just turn up the surround and wait for jump around and...go warriors!!
don't...don't don't don't don't

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2015, 07:59:42 AM »
Marquette not winning the past two years is the major problem. The Big East is still strong.

The Big East is still strong if not somewhat diminished, but Marquette lost its two biggest travel rivals in Louisville and Notre Dame.  And there were always dog fights with Cuse, Pitt and Uconn.  Who didn't like running Huggy, with his velour running suit, up and down the flag pole?

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2015, 08:19:13 AM »
Marquette not winning the past two years is the major problem. The Big East is still strong.

It's the best situation for them right now, it doesn't come close to the old league. That was the best hoops conference ever assembled.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2015, 08:46:33 AM »
One of MU's biggest (if not the biggest) problem is expectations.  

The OBE years were beyond fantastic.  Tons of great top 25 action, great rivalries, and MU was battling for the top of the league every year on ESPN.   We were at the top of the mountain -- and frankly, MU could spend a ton of $$ because it could charge a premium and get eager donors.

Now, not.  With the exception of the arena .. nearly everything about the program has been downgraded.  (Yeah, (minority) would say we upgraded our coach.)   So the value is way down, and the prices are still premium.  That's gonna create discontent on multiple levels.

geagles10

• Starter
« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2015, 08:47:58 AM »
What do you guys think of the PA announcer?  I know when the back up steps in there is a big decline.

Also, the pre starting up video is real weak this year IMO, this needs to improve next year.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #32 on: February 24, 2015, 08:56:40 AM »
I think the PA guy is fine.

.. That being said .. I went to my first MKE Wave game a few days ago. Wow, do they know how to entertain.  While way, way different, the basic premise is the same: It's an arena, there's a sporting event going on.   After that, it's all about entertaining the crowd, and the PA guy is the emcee of the event.  MU could learn some stuff from there.

geagles10

• Starter
« Reply #33 on: February 24, 2015, 09:31:36 AM »
Could you elaborate a little? I personally thought we had a pretty NBA like system there already. 

True I guess you are right now that you think of it.  I'd more say I'd recommend a better intro video with music and louder PA.  The best student section in the country is nowhere near NBA.  But your right overall its not bad, and on par/better than other big east venues I have been to.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #34 on: February 24, 2015, 09:34:00 AM »
You people don't realize how many people throw crapfits when some variation of 'Streets Have No Name' isn't played.

geagles10

• Starter
« Reply #35 on: February 24, 2015, 09:36:42 AM »
You people don't realize how many people throw crapfits when some variation of 'Streets Have No Name' isn't played.

Yeah your right, but I just think it needs to be updated to something new and different.  Or still use some of it somehow. 

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #36 on: February 24, 2015, 09:46:33 AM »
Now, not.  With the exception of the arena .. nearly everything about the program has been downgraded.  (Yeah, (minority) would say we upgraded our coach.)   So the value is way down, and the prices are still premium.  That's gonna create discontent on multiple levels.

Number of top 25 teams on the home schedule since the beginning of the Buzz era:

2008-09: 5 (Nova, WVU, Georgetown, Syracuse, UConn)
2009-10: 3 (Georgetown, Pitt, Nova)
2010-11: 3 (ND, Syracuse, WVU)
2011-12: 2 (Louisville, Georgetown)
2012-13: 4 (Georgetown, Pitt, Syracuse, ND)
2013-14: 3 (OSU, Nova, Creighton)  
2014-15: 3 (UW, Nova, Butler)

So really the last two years have seen no difference in terms of high quality teams in the BC.  The problem is that we haven't been good in any of those games (0-6).  Really once Marquette gets better on the floor, I think a lot of the concerns about the quality of opponents will change.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #37 on: February 24, 2015, 10:12:29 AM »
Come on.  Yes, I said Top 25 .. but Louisville, UConn, Syracuse, Pitt, WVU, ND .. regardless of whether they were top 25 or top 50 .. they were great opponents.  And yeah, go on, find out that WVU, ND, SU were out of the top 50 at points, go ahead do that.

MUsoxfan

• Team Captain
« Reply #38 on: February 24, 2015, 11:19:00 AM »
Come on.  Yes, I said Top 25 .. but Louisville, UConn, Syracuse, Pitt, WVU, ND .. regardless of whether they were top 25 or top 50 .. they were great opponents.  And yeah, go on, find out that WVU, ND, SU were out of the top 50 at points, go ahead do that.

Yeah, but you know as well as anyone that we were stuck and got left in a much better position than others.

We got hung out to dry due to football. Even football schools got left out to dry. Tell me, would you rather Cincy right now?

WarhawkWarrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #39 on: February 24, 2015, 11:43:52 AM »
Lots of good comments.  Someone needs to copy and share with the AD.  I doubt he reads Scoop. From my point of view, these comments yield better insight than the survey.

Game day experience is critical to the long term success.  There are a lot of non-alums (like me) who have been rabid fans for many years.  I have a rather large group of friends who are in the same boat -- aging and not being renewed by new fans.  In order to keep the joint filled, we need to be the best game in town and draw from the community.  Keep the seats full even if it means scouring the local grade and high schools and send buses when you know it isn't going to be a sell out.  These kids are the future fans, student and in some cases players.

Every time out should be electric and unanticipated.  Do the stodgy recognition programs at half time when we get to enjoy a $6, not $8 beer.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #40 on: February 24, 2015, 11:51:45 AM »

You seem upset that a key piece of your discontent platform with the program has been refuted.

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #41 on: February 24, 2015, 12:53:13 PM »
Video replays are an easy way for the Big East to differentiate itself from the other big conferences.  We should be a little more edgy and grab people's attention with stuff like that.  Almost all the teams play in an arena with great video capabilities, and we should take advantage of that.  Conflict and controversy help build rivalries, which is something else the conference desperately needs.  If the refs can't take, get new refs, they can't get much worse.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #42 on: February 24, 2015, 01:00:21 PM »

You said three things.  "Tons of great top 25 action, great rivalries, and MU was battling for the top of the league every year on ESPN."

The first was addressed by my initial post.

The second has been hampered, but some of the rivalries are still in tact while others will have to develop.

The third, and I don't know why it matters what network the games are on if you are attending the games in person, is the main reason IMO.  The games against Butler and Nova for instance would have been a lot more fun if both teams were ranked.

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #43 on: February 24, 2015, 01:26:21 PM »
Also...did anyone else notice the Season Ticket Holder of the Game that got his tickets within the past 5 or so years? Was early in the year, but that really irritated me. STHOG should be going to someone who has at least 30 years as a STH. Again, not rewarding loyalty, instead just handing it out to any random schmuck. And while I'm sure it's tied to donations, it undermines loyalty, which should be just as important.

So nominate yourself already.

No, I'm not joking.  You can do that.

http://www.gomarquette.com/tickets/m-baskbl-sth-of-game.html
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

WarhawkWarrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #44 on: February 24, 2015, 01:51:04 PM »
Do away with the "Dice" promotion.  Its horrible.

Season "Schmuck of the Game" is senseless.  It adds zero to the experience and causes general indifference for most.

geagles10

• Starter
« Reply #45 on: February 24, 2015, 02:06:05 PM »
Do away with the "Dice" promotion.  Its horrible.

Season "Schmuck of the Game" is senseless.  It adds zero to the experience and causes general indifference for most.

Could not agree more on both.  No more guess the lyrics game that is new this year it's pointless as well.  Also, I think the smile cam is getting very old.

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #46 on: February 24, 2015, 02:11:31 PM »
The dice game is bad, but I love the Season-Ticket-Holder of the game promotion.

bradley center bat

• All American
« Reply #47 on: February 24, 2015, 02:16:43 PM »
It's the best situation for them right now, it doesn't come close to the old league. That was the best hoops conference ever assembled.
It's a great situation. Football makes the money. It was a fun run but I like the Big East. I like the likeminded schools and being on FS1. Notre Dame should be playing Marquette anyways in the non-league as in years past.

bradley center bat

• All American
« Reply #48 on: February 24, 2015, 02:21:38 PM »
Xavier, Butler, Villanova, Georgetown, PC are great teams, problem is that things suck the past two years is Marquette is not winning!!!

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #49 on: February 24, 2015, 02:47:26 PM »
We also played Rutgers and South Florida too, but they were cupcakes (at best) in the Old Big East.  Seton Hall, DePaul and Providence were also bottom-dwellers in the old conference, but they are now very competitive in conference play.

It comes down to wins.  Nothing more.  You win, more fans come.  Our schedule could have featured Duke, North Carolina, Indiana, Syracuse, UCLA, Arizona and a boat-load of other top programs, but the decreasing attendance (from MU fans/alumni) over the course of the season would have continued. 

With the rivalries that are being built in the New Big East, the competitive games will be there.  It's up to Wojo and the team to win those games and for us fans to support the team during down times (like this year).

feedback