[Today at 01:04:10 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Uncle Rico
[Today at 01:03:27 PM]

Tyler Kolek's "legacy" by Newsdreams
[Today at 12:37:27 PM]

NC State by Sturgeon General Warrior
[Today at 12:34:46 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Article about Ellenson being overrated covering U17 in Dubai  (Read 19098 times)

Earl Tatum

• All American
Re: Article about Ellenson being overrated covering U17 in Dubai
« Reply #50 on: February 26, 2015, 10:00:23 PM »
Yep, I wanted Stone, but not taking or passing his ACT or whatever, gives me doubts I didn't have before. His scoring average and
board play is pretty good when playing against D-4 competition. Scoring is real good when shooting 2-feet from the basket with dunks and layups. Will admit defense is very good. Comments were not meant to be racist. Am far from being that kind of person. Figure of speech. Sorry if I offended you guys. I wanted Stone in the worst way. "Sour Grapes". A player out in New York named Thomas Bryant at 6-10, 230, 4-star would be super. Guess MU doesn't have the "pull" anymore in that area. He has not committed.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #51 on: February 27, 2015, 01:12:19 AM »
Yep, I wanted Stone, but not taking or passing his ACT or whatever, gives me doubts I didn't have before. His scoring average and
board play is pretty good when playing against D-4 competition. Scoring is real good when shooting 2-feet from the basket with dunks and layups. Will admit defense is very good. Comments were not meant to be racist. Am far from being that kind of person. Figure of speech. Sorry if I offended you guys. I wanted Stone in the worst way. "Sour Grapes". A player out in New York named Thomas Bryant at 6-10, 230, 4-star would be super. Guess MU doesn't have the "pull" anymore in that area. He has not committed.

Thomas Bryant trimmed his list before Wojo even got her IIRC. It's not fair to expect Wojo to be able to grab any recruit under the sun
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #52 on: February 27, 2015, 03:45:13 AM »

Miss Arkansas, I'm still going to have a good time.

Death on call

thekahoona

• Starter
« Reply #53 on: February 27, 2015, 08:00:50 AM »

Thank you, Keefe. I can always count on you!

Earl Tatum

• All American
« Reply #54 on: February 27, 2015, 08:11:49 AM »
Just mentioned Bryant's name from reading Rivals List. I AM A WOJO BACKER with my Wojo Warrior T-Shirt and MU Warrior Shirt.

warriorfan 14

• Starter
« Reply #55 on: February 27, 2015, 08:32:44 AM »
i really don't trust or care what any of these so called recruiting experts say. i'll just wait till we see the recruits in a marquette uniform before i get excited or disappointed.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • βœ… Verified Member
« Reply #56 on: February 27, 2015, 08:34:32 AM »
i really don't trust or care what any of these so called recruiting experts say. i'll just wait till we see the recruits in a marquette uniform before i get excited or disappointed.

5 year rule and all of that.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #57 on: February 27, 2015, 08:35:52 AM »
Well, how 'bout at least a 1 or 2 year rule?
β€œIt’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #58 on: February 27, 2015, 08:59:50 AM »

There is a reason that the average first contract of a coach is...... 5 years

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #59 on: February 27, 2015, 09:13:17 AM »
There is a reason that the average first contract of a coach is...... 5 years

Mostly due to market forces.  Not because it takes 5 years to fully judge them.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #60 on: February 27, 2015, 09:22:34 AM »
Contracts are for honest folks, ai na?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

DienerTime34

• All American
« Reply #61 on: February 27, 2015, 09:55:28 AM »
http://www.nbadraft.net/10-things-we-learned-u17-world-championships-dubai

Still think he's a great get, but by the looks of it Stone is the better prospect both next season and in the NBA.

For the sake of argument, let's assume this report is true. Isn't that sort of great from a Marquette basketball standpoint, though? That Henry would be a guy always flirting with Big East POY but there are doubts about his athleticism that keeps him from jumping in the draft after one or two years. The guy could be our Tyler Hansbrough or Frank Kaminsky. Better than him being our Noah Vonleh.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #62 on: February 27, 2015, 12:02:07 PM »
For the sake of argument, let's assume this report is true. Isn't that sort of great from a Marquette basketball standpoint, though? That Henry would be a guy always flirting with Big East POY but there are doubts about his athleticism that keeps him from jumping in the draft after one or two years. The guy could be our Tyler Hansbrough or Frank Kaminsky. Better than him being our Noah Vonleh.

Considering we actually have a coach who would know how to use Noah Vonleh, I'd be plenty happy with Hank being that, ai'na?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

The Equalizer

• All American
« Reply #63 on: February 27, 2015, 01:00:54 PM »
Mostly due to market forces.  Not because it takes 5 years to fully judge them.

Semantics. 

The primary market forces are that both the coach and school have incentives for not making a judgement for five years. 

The coach wants five years minimum before he's judged when taking over a disaster and needs to rebuild:
Year 1: Can't expect much, I'm playing with the former coach's recruits.  Can't judge me.
Year 2: My first recruiting class are all frosh--and they don't play much. Most of my rotation is still the old coach's recruits
Year 3: All my recruits still underclassmen--and half are only frosh. 
year 4: I should be delivering results by now, but you gotta give me through next year, when the whole team is mine.
Year 5: First year all players are my responsibility.

Consider the case of Kevin O'Neill as a perfect example as to why coaches want five year contracts:
Year 1: 16-13--only 2 more wins, 1 fewer loss than Dukiet's final season.
Year 2: 11-18--nearly as bad as Dukiet's worst season (10-18).  Would he really be comfortable being judged at this point?
Year 3: 16-13 - no post season.  Three years in, and his overall winning percentage is only marginally better than the despised Dukiet at .482 vs. .458 Despite SIGNIFICANTLY better recruiting, results are about what Dukiet gave us. Lucky for him nobody judged him after just three years.

And schools have incentives from the opposite direction.  Five year contracts give them at least some protection from situations where the new coach takes over a strong program and does well in the first few years: Consider Mike Deane
Year 1: 21-12
Year 2: 28-8
Year 3: 22-9
Year 4: 20-11 Wow, that cumulative .695 winning percentage suggests he's the real deal after four years.
Year 5: 14-15  Hmm.  Finally playing with his own players and recruiting doesn't look so hot either. Different story

So five year timeframe IS the market force that drives those initial contracts.