[March 27, 2024, 11:34:10 PM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[March 27, 2024, 10:40:15 PM]

Katz has MU in Final Four by MurphysTillClose
[March 27, 2024, 10:24:36 PM]

Best MU team since 1977 by Galway Eagle
[March 27, 2024, 09:47:04 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Article about Ellenson being overrated covering U17 in Dubai  (Read 19097 times)

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
Re: Article about Ellenson being overrated covering U17 in Dubai
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2015, 10:26:56 PM »
There's too much fixation on Ellenson. I'm sure he'll be a good, if not great player.

There's too little focus on Luke. He's a monster in the making. He has some sloppy habits, but he's a star. He's going to make Henry's transition a whole lot easier. He's basically a freshman on on severely undermanned team. By the time he's a senior, he projects as a first rounder. He's got size, a ton of ability and looks to be a worker.

Mark my words.

GoldenZebra

• All American
« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2015, 10:44:00 PM »
There's too much fixation on Ellenson. I'm sure he'll be a good, if not great player.

There's too little focus on Luke. He's a monster in the making. He has some sloppy habits, but he's a star. He's going to make Henry's transition a whole lot easier. He's basically a freshman on on severely undermanned team. By the time he's a senior, he projects as a first rounder. He's got size, a ton of ability and looks to be a worker.

Mark my words.

Luke was pretty great today, foul trouble is still an issue but one that will be solved once he gets used to BE refs (which are so ticky-tack these days). He played well against a nova front court that is pretty good.

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2015, 10:48:01 PM »
Luke was pretty great today, foul trouble is still an issue but one that will be solved once he gets used to BE refs (which are so ticky-tack these days). He played well against a nova front court that is pretty good.
All true. And he's essentially a freshman playing with zero front court help. He's a talent. Even if Henry was not coming, the future is bright.

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2015, 11:13:18 PM »
I watched all  the U-17 games. I thought Ellenson did fine given that this is an all star team event. The coach of the team did his best to parcel out the time. The competition was not that solid. The inter squad games were probably better than the event.

The AAU circuit matters much more in my opinion.  
I watched most of the U-17 games.  What I saw was that plays were often run for Stone, but rarely for Henry.  Both executed well when their number was called.  Stone got more chances and really showed some great stuff around the rim with dunks and drives.  Stuff that looks good.

Most of it was pick-up ball against 5th graders, however.  Even the final was against a scrappy and well organized but not particularly talented Australia team.  Australia was in it because they have a national team system that starts from age 13 or 14 when most of the kids move to the Institute of Sport for training and school, so they are a team and play like one where the US group was just a collection of random individuals.  Even then, it wasn't the same level of competition. 

Bottom line - we need to be very pleased with the guys Wojo has recruited.  All of them.
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2015, 11:17:07 PM »

Mark my words.

I hope you are right, but not sure I see star.  Senior year should be very nice player, especially if we can free up the lane a bit for him with a quality tandem player.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #30 on: February 22, 2015, 01:11:52 AM »
From the 2012-2014 recruiting classes the top 10 (and specifically #6) recruits in each year were just about all immediate impact players.  I expect Hank to be the same.  Crucify me.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #31 on: February 22, 2015, 01:15:06 AM »
This is also true, but it is what it is.  same warning I gave about Luke, but some wanted to make him Wilt Chamberlain.  Not much one can do about those fans.

10 and 5 from a sophomore big playing in only his 2nd college semester, and really first considering where he was for his first and the opportunity he was given, is pretty darn good for a boarderline top 100 player, especially considering he only got the benefit of playing about 2 cupcake teams to get into form before the Big East season.  Just because the coach at Indiana had no clue how to use a legitimate big talent doesn't mean he's underperformed in any way.  Not to mention, Luke and Hank weren't even close to similarly hyped coming out of high school.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

WarriorPride68

• All American
« Reply #32 on: February 22, 2015, 01:19:12 AM »
I watched most of the U-17 games.  What I saw was that plays were often run for Stone, but rarely for Henry.  Both executed well when their number was called.  Stone got more chances and really showed some great stuff around the rim with dunks and drives.  Stuff that looks good.

Most of it was pick-up ball against 5th graders, however.  Even the final was against a scrappy and well organized but not particularly talented Australia team.  Australia was in it because they have a national team system that starts from age 13 or 14 when most of the kids move to the Institute of Sport for training and school, so they are a team and play like one where the US group was just a collection of random individuals.  Even then, it wasn't the same level of competition. 

No offense but Isaac Humphries is a beast. He actually moved state side and is a top 2016 recruit with an Arizona offer.

For what it's worth Ellenson went 0-2, 0 points in the 99-92 championship game vs Australia

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #33 on: February 22, 2015, 07:25:46 AM »
I hope you are right, but not sure I see star.  Senior year should be very nice player, especially if we can free up the lane a bit for him with a quality tandem player.
Crean cooled on him.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #34 on: February 22, 2015, 07:38:02 AM »
Generally I agree.  crap on Wojo.  crap on Players.  crap on Recruits.  Bad seasons cause bad message boards.  I wish they didn't...but if we were winning this season, the post would have been glossed over with what seed we should expect in the tourney.

A couple of thoughts:

1) If Diamond is so much better than Henry, why does Henry have the scholarship and Diamond doesn't yet. There is a lot more to the Diamond story than anyone is admitting. I hope for Diamond's sake he does well somewhere (ummm, Marquette would be nice but I suspect that ship has sailed). In the meantime, Help is on the Way! Be thankful it's coming.

2) All Marquette fandom is divided in threes, as I have said before:
    * Anyone who attended Marquette before 1982, who thinks we are in a God-given right to a Top 10 ranking and should be competitive for a National Championship.
    * Anyone who attended Marquette between 1983 and 1990, who suffered through the late Raymonds, Majerus and Dukiet years (plus folks here during the Deane years), who think Marquette can do nothing right.
    * Anyone who attended Marquette during the O'Neill, Crean or Hillbilly years, who think Marquette is a way station for coaches on the rise.

All three are angry right now. Group One saw our Elite 8 team two years ago and are wondering, "what happened?" Group Two sees Marquette and thinks our record is indicative that we screwed up again. Group 3 thinks we just plain blew it. Everyone is angry because losing like this is not in our tradition -- save for a few Dukiet years.

Until our team is constituted for next year and actually lives up to its hype, there will be a lot of anger and a bit of hate expressed on these boards.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #35 on: February 22, 2015, 07:50:23 AM »
A couple of thoughts:

1) If Diamond is so much better than Henry, why does Henry have the scholarship and Diamond doesn't yet.

Oh come on.  I think you know the answer to this.

And HE might be overrated.  But remember that the U17 had some of the best players in the country.  So he may not be #5.  He may be #10.  Or #15.

But he is a fantastic recruit.  A savior?  Probably not.  But an player who is going to help improve this team in the years to come?  Definitely.

manny31

• Starter
« Reply #36 on: February 22, 2015, 08:36:43 AM »
I think Wojo tapes the pertinent part of the article to HE's locker when he gets to MU, maybe put a little chip on his shoulder. Also to the point about Luke, I think that PR nailed it with the fact that he is really a frosh with no help up front this year. I think he might turn out to be really good, maybe not NBA good but I hope Luke proves me wrong and PR Nightmare right.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #37 on: February 22, 2015, 09:01:14 AM »
10 and 5 from a sophomore big playing in only his 2nd college semester, and really first considering where he was for his first and the opportunity he was given, is pretty darn good for a boarderline top 100 player, especially considering he only got the benefit of playing about 2 cupcake teams to get into form before the Big East season.  Just because the coach at Indiana had no clue how to use a legitimate big talent doesn't mean he's underperformed in any way.  Not to mention, Luke and Hank weren't even close to similarly hyped coming out of high school.

Hopefully.  I think he has done well this year and the natural progression for his type of frame and ability.  My worry was when people here anointed him God after ASU and Alabama A&M.   He was #71 RSCI, maybe that's borderline. 

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #39 on: February 22, 2015, 09:05:52 AM »
Crean cooled on him.

Actually Luke cooled on Crean and the culture he built at Indiana.

mattyv1908

• All American
« Reply #40 on: February 22, 2015, 12:41:37 PM »
Hopefully.  I think he has done well this year and the natural progression for his type of frame and ability.  My worry was when people here anointed him God after ASU and Alabama A&M.   He was #71 RSCI, maybe that's borderline. 

Agree Chicos.  I actually thought yesterday was Luke's best game in conference.  If we're honest with ourselves, Luke is playing the minutes he is because we have nobody else.  If you put him on any other Big East team this season he probably is seeing spot minutes (10-15) at the 5 which is normal for a sophomore and the increased time it typically takes for bigs to mature and round out their games.
Shut this board down at the opening tip.  If they win, open it back up.  If they lose, keep it shut it down until the next morning.  - Sultan of Slurpery

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #41 on: February 23, 2015, 07:58:07 AM »
Agree Chicos.  I actually thought yesterday was Luke's best game in conference.  If we're honest with ourselves, Luke is playing the minutes he is because we have nobody else.  If you put him on any other Big East team this season he probably is seeing spot minutes (10-15) at the 5 which is normal for a sophomore and the increased time it typically takes for bigs to mature and round out their games.

I disagree.  Besides Marquette, Luke most likely would start for five other Big East teams, the exceptions being Villanova, Georgetown, Xavier and St. John's.  At Seton Hall he would move Delgado over to the 4.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2015, 08:00:11 AM by LittleWade »
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #42 on: February 23, 2015, 10:52:36 AM »
For what it's worth Ellenson went 0-2, 0 points in the 99-92 championship game vs Australia

Are you kidding me?  Is the U17 coach playing mind games with Henry, or throwing him under the bus?  Doesn't he know Henry can only perform if given 25 minutes of run?
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

_____

• Walk-On
« Reply #43 on: February 23, 2015, 11:32:57 AM »
One guy writes an article about a recruit being overrated and people lose their minds. What are rankings based on other than opinions?

You need to believe everything on the internet

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #44 on: February 23, 2015, 12:08:12 PM »
If Henry's game is like Kevin Love and Diamond's is like Demarcus Cousins,

I'll take Henry.
SS Marquette

Earl Tatum

• All American
« Reply #45 on: February 26, 2015, 02:27:41 PM »
Bluntly put-- Diamond Stone doesn't want to go to college. Probably can't pass ACT Test. Might take up Swaheeli , Basket Weaving, or how to swing a gold club at Wisconsin. Call it "Sour Grapes", or what you want. Will admit, might be a good kid, but his offense is way below par
to be a top grade player. I don't call Henry a 5-star either. Better basketball skills. If Stone was really skilled, Calipari would have had him in a heart beat. I say Stone will be a 3 year college player for whoever college that he can get in to.. Ellenson 3 or 4 years.
My opinion only.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #46 on: February 26, 2015, 03:32:48 PM »
Bluntly put-- Diamond Stone doesn't want to go to college. Probably can't pass ACT Test. Might take up Swaheeli , Basket Weaving, or how to swing a gold club at Wisconsin. Call it "Sour Grapes", or what you want. Will admit, might be a good kid, but his offense is way below par
to be a top grade player. I don't call Henry a 5-star either. Better basketball skills. If Stone was really skilled, Calipari would have had him in a heart beat. I say Stone will be a 3 year college player for whoever college that he can get in to.. Ellenson 3 or 4 years.
My opinion only.

Considering all the draft guys have both in the top ten of the 2016 draft......yeah, you're wrong. No offense.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #47 on: February 26, 2015, 05:25:01 PM »
My opinion only.

Haven't you been posting for the past year about how Wojo needs to get Diamond Stone?
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Sylvester78

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #48 on: February 26, 2015, 06:26:27 PM »
My opinion only.

Nice racist rant.  And if your going to be THAT guy spell swahili remotely in the ballpark you ignoramus.

And Diamond's offensive game is just fine even though he chose a different school. Neither guy has any interest in staying in school for more than 1-2 years.

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #49 on: February 26, 2015, 06:45:04 PM »
Nice racist rant.  And if your going to be THAT guy spell swahili remotely in the ballpark you ignoramus.

And Diamond's offensive game is just fine even though he chose a different school. Neither guy has any interest in staying in school for more than 1-2 years.
Beat me to the "if you're going to be racist, be an intelligent racist" post.  My criticism is that you did not call out grammar or punctuation.  "...for whoever college that he can get in to.."

feedback