[Today at 11:09:03 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by Scoop Snoop
[Today at 09:34:36 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Nukem2
[Today at 09:24:02 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 08:17:02 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: I just want to see the Dead  (Read 13137 times)

WI inferiority Complexes

• Team Captain
I just want to see the Dead
« on: February 19, 2015, 05:21:09 PM »
So, the Grateful Dead are playing their "last" show ever over the July 4th weekend at Soldier Field.  Demand for tickets is absolutely insane, and I have a sinking feeling scalpers, brokers, etc. are going to snatch up all the tickets when they go on sale February 28. I've seen this stupid band over 60 times, and really just want to go one last time, (especially since it's 15 miles from my house).

Any suggestions for how to better your odds at getting a ticket from TicketMaster?

jesmu84

• All American
Re: I just want to see the Dead
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2015, 05:44:26 PM »
So, the Grateful Dead are playing their "last" show ever over the July 4th weekend at Soldier Field.  Demand for tickets is absolutely insane, and I have a sinking feeling scalpers, brokers, etc. are going to snatch up all the tickets when they go on sale February 28. I've seen this stupid band over 60 times, and really just want to go one last time, (especially since it's 15 miles from my house).

Any suggestions for how to better your odds at getting a ticket from TicketMaster?

Eh... if Ticketmaster is selling, you better believe >75% of the tickets will already have been spoken for before the public sale. Best bet is to know somebody. Hopefully a scoop member knows someone

reinko

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2015, 06:03:18 PM »
Just show up the day of the show, and trade some magic beans or peanut butter and jelly sandwiches to the first white dude with dreads you see.

brandx

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2015, 09:53:40 PM »
Watch an old video with Garcia and save yourself some money..

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2015, 07:58:13 AM »
Those shows will be awful. Phil Lesh looks like John Wooden up there and Weir recently passed out ON STAGE! during a Ratdog performance. Not to mention, the poser fans there will be unbearable.

If you truly love the Grateful Dead do yourself a favor and go see Dark Star Orchestra. They're incredible.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2015, 08:08:12 AM »
Eh... if Ticketmaster is selling, you better believe >75% of the tickets will already have been spoken for before the public sale. Best bet is to know somebody. Hopefully a scoop member knows someone

First round for the public was sending in the index cards and money orders a month ago, the old school way to take care of their most loyal Dead Heads (or at least try).  The post offices and their mail boxes were overflowing downtown Chicago. The civil servants were not too happy having to work. Anything left via TM will be garbage.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2015, 08:22:41 AM »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/6ss-i2VgcPw" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/6ss-i2VgcPw</a>

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2015, 08:28:52 AM »
Those shows will be awful. Phil Lesh looks like John Wooden up there and Weir recently passed out ON STAGE! during a Ratdog performance. Not to mention, the poser fans there will be unbearable.

If you truly love the Grateful Dead do yourself a favor and go see Dark Star Orchestra. They're incredible.

Yeah, I saw the Dead back in the late 80s at Alpine Valley.  (Quite the experience.)  They were pretty good then, but you could see how it could get ugly.  Also, I'm not sure their act is great for a stadium show either.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2015, 09:14:05 AM »
It will probably booted as much as the Led Zep O2 show was, save yourself the grief and download the best AUD video from lossless legs the next day

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2015, 09:40:03 AM »
Like the Bruce Wills movie The Sixth Sense?

WI inferiority Complexes

• Team Captain
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2015, 09:49:18 AM »

I've seen the DSO a bunch.  I remember where you could get a $5 ticket for two drinks and the show at The Rave.

I'm not expecting to see quality; I'd still really like to go.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2015, 09:49:39 AM »
Couldn't you just call Lazar?

WI inferiority Complexes

• Team Captain
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2015, 09:50:43 AM »
First round for the public was sending in the index cards and money orders a month ago, the old school way to take care of their most loyal Dead Heads (or at least try).
I tried mail order, and know at least a dozen or so others that tried; I don't know anybody that received tickets that way.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2015, 09:53:16 AM by WI_inferiority_complexes »

WI inferiority Complexes

• Team Captain
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2015, 09:52:37 AM »
Also, I'm not sure their act is great for a stadium show either.

They're at their best in a stadium, (IMO).  They always ended their summer tour at Soldier Field, (I still have my, "Once again, the summer ends on LSD" T-shirt).  Many of my favorite memories are seeing the Dead at (old) Soldier Field.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2015, 09:59:25 AM »
do yourself a favor and go see Dark Star Orchestra and bring pot.  They're incredible.

FIFY. Without the pot it's debatable.

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2015, 10:04:15 AM »

The Bob pass out was almost a year ago, he's fine now. And you're right that DSO is a great show. I've seen them a bunch, most recently in Chicago on February 6th where they played a nice 1976 show.

To the OP's question. My plan (and I'm sure everyone else's) is to have all my friends sitting at their computer and refreshing it like crazy come 10:00am on Feb 28th. With a large group attempting to do so one of us has got to get in. Once in buy as many tickets as they'll allow. I've been worrying about this for a while now, but I have a feeling it'll all work out.
Bring back FFP!!!

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2015, 10:07:20 AM »
Actually the best Dead tribute band to see these days is Joe Russo's Almost Dead. They're blowing up and it's very well deserved
Bring back FFP!!!

BobWildLoyalist

• Team Captain
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2015, 10:48:09 AM »
Swoopem is right, Joe Russo's Almost Dead (JRAD) is the best Dead cover project going right now. As far as tickets go...everyone is in the same boat with the gen pop on sale date 2/28. I am plan on having multiple devices qued up and ready to buy as many tickets as they will allow, if I get through. I am ready and willing to spend as much as it takes to attend these shows. I love the dead and never had a chance to see Jer. I will Andy Dufresne it in there if I have to!

WI inferiority Complexes

• Team Captain
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2015, 11:06:17 AM »
To the OP's question. My plan (and I'm sure everyone else's) is to have all my friends sitting at their computer and refreshing it like crazy come 10:00am on Feb 28th. With a large group attempting to do so one of us has got to get in. Once in buy as many tickets as they'll allow. I've been worrying about this for a while now, but I have a feeling it'll all work out.

. I am plan on having multiple devices qued up and ready to buy as many tickets as they will allow, if I get through.

If you guys could do me a solid and tell all your friends to wait until noon-ish to try to get tickets, I'd really appreciate it.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2015, 11:30:51 AM »

Death on call

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2015, 08:57:41 PM »
I tried mail order, and know at least a dozen or so others that tried; I don't know anybody that received tickets that way.

No one has despite the stated deadline. You are still alive. My guess you are still alive, and they are looking to add more shows. Hotel rooms now over $500 a night.

Sheriff

• Starter
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2015, 01:08:51 PM »
They're at their best in a stadium, (IMO).  They always ended their summer tour at Soldier Field, (I still have my, "Once again, the summer ends on LSD" T-shirt).  Many of my favorite memories are seeing the Dead at (old) Soldier Field.

On the other hand, the shows at the Uptown and Riviera in Chicago in the mid 1970's were most memorable to me.  Smoke filled theaters filled to the rafters replete with maidens in peasant dresses twirling and spinning in the aisles.

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2015, 10:58:12 AM »
If you were one of the hundreds of thousands who missed out on buying tickets this past Saturday you may be interested in attending this

http://www.jambase.com/Articles/124245/Dear-Jerry-Concert-To-Celebrate-Music-Of-Jerry-Garcia

The lineup is a pretty insane. My only problem is that it's on a Thursday. What's up with that?
Bring back FFP!!!

LloydsLegs

• All American
« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2015, 03:04:33 PM »
Reports are that the scalpers are having a field day with this one. :o :o :o

BobWildLoyalist

• Team Captain
« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2015, 04:37:46 PM »
MY friends, I got through the sea of people last Saturday on ticketmaster and scored 4 3 day passes. The power of prayer was on full display and floated to the check out. I'll be dancin come the 4th weekend!

feedback