[April 23, 2024, 09:42:02 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[April 23, 2024, 09:23:41 PM]

Best case scenarios by Frenns Liquor Depot
[April 23, 2024, 03:55:21 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 23, 2024, 11:02:10 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Freshman ineligible again.....?  (Read 30266 times)

Pakuni

• All American
Re: Freshman ineligible again.....?
« Reply #50 on: February 17, 2015, 05:01:13 PM »
I think a bunch of you are missing what they are proposing.  They are saying a NCAA legislative rule, which would apply to all of the schools in the various divisions, not just the P5.  It happens to be the P5 commissioners pushing this, but they would want this to be voted on by the entire membership and applied to the entire membership.

Certainly would be a boon for the NDBL, CHL and minor-league baseball, but I'm not sure how it helps any NCAA programs.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #51 on: February 17, 2015, 05:19:07 PM »
If this is posturing to get the NBA to change their rules...ok. 

However, to create a rule that no freshman gets to play because 10 people go one & done each year doesn't add up.  1. it does not solve the problem (player a. would just not go the NCAA route) and 2. it makes your product worse, 3. makes the cost to do business higher (likely need more schollies)

If the pushers of this are genuine it just seems like a power grab.  The teams that are disadvantaged in the current system are the top 10 programs...they 'need' these players to compete but don't like the roster turnover (read K and others are tired of Cal getting all the kids).  Second they are the ones that can afford holding extra schollies.  Finally if there is less pressure from top kids to get playing time and more slots on the best teams -- they can take on more top kids leaving less players for everyone else.

So I understand this is an NCAA thing that the Power 5 may be behind...I stand by the comment though that the Big East (and others) should say publicly they will let Freshman play (or vote that way). 

Look Coach K or anyone in the NCAA doesn't have to recruit one and done players. 

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #52 on: February 17, 2015, 06:12:43 PM »
Certainly would be a boon for the NDBL, CHL and minor-league baseball, but I'm not sure how it helps any NCAA programs.

Maybe, but I suspect a lot of these guys aren't going to be particularly thrilled about playing in Bakersfield for a few sheckles a game and even fewer fans in the seats.  My assumption is that they feel that alternative is not reality for most, and they will go to school for multiple years instead.

Possibly a leverage play only to get the Association to move.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #53 on: February 17, 2015, 06:18:34 PM »

Maybe, but I suspect a lot of these guys aren't going to be particularly thrilled about playing in Bakersfield for a few sheckles a game and even fewer fans in the seats.  My assumption is that they feel that alternative is not reality for most, and they will go to school for multiple years instead.

Have you seen the attendance for college baseball? It's about the size of a middle school basketball game.

Atticus

• All American
« Reply #54 on: February 17, 2015, 06:21:37 PM »
If this is posturing to get the NBA to change their rules...ok. 

However, to create a rule that no freshman gets to play because 10 people go one & done each year doesn't add up.  1. it does not solve the problem (player a. would just not go the NCAA route) and 2. it makes your product worse, 3. makes the cost to do business higher (likely need more schollies)

If the pushers of this are genuine it just seems like a power grab.  The teams that are disadvantaged in the current system are the top 10 programs...they 'need' these players to compete but don't like the roster turnover (read K and others are tired of Cal getting all the kids).  Second they are the ones that can afford holding extra schollies.  Finally if there is less pressure from top kids to get playing time and more slots on the best teams -- they can take on more top kids leaving less players for everyone else.

So I understand this is an NCAA thing that the Power 5 may be behind...I stand by the comment though that the Big East (and others) should say publicly they will let Freshman play (or vote that way). 

Look Coach K or anyone in the NCAA doesn't have to recruit one and done players. 

I dont think this is "posturing" by the P5. I think what the P5 is trying to do is raise the costs of athletics as much as possible so they can weed out the non-competitive programs.

This initiative is so unlikely to pass that its almost not even worth commenting on at this point. HOWEVER, it would be in the BE's best interests to follow whatever guidelines the P5 passes. If we dont play by their rules, we will likely lose all OOC games against them. That would hit our pocket book as well FS. Instead of UW, we get Arkansas-Pine-Bluff. Neat.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #55 on: February 18, 2015, 12:18:21 AM »
Have you seen the attendance for college baseball? It's about the size of a middle school basketball game.

Sure.  I attend a number of games out this way for Cal State Fullerton....pretty good crowds depending on opponent and day of the week. 3K or so.  I guess you guys get more at middle school basketball then we do out here.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #57 on: February 19, 2015, 07:33:50 PM »
More....Big Ten

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/12349646/big-ten-considering-ineligibility-freshmen

Northwestern should just shut its program down now. The pomposity is dripping. Waiting for the UNC and Cuse outrage from the same folks which is by far the bigger issue.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #58 on: February 19, 2015, 07:57:02 PM »

I suspect many would rather play for a few "sheckles" - and by sheckles we should note that a 10th round draft picks gets a six-figure bonus - than sit out a year for no pay at all. I guess for kids who have no option they'll still go to college, but more and more kids with a choice will abandon the college route.

Why would this give college leverage over the Association? I suspect the NBA wouldn't at all mind seeing its top young prospects playing in the NBDL - where the league can profit from their labor - instead of Duke and Kentucky.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #59 on: February 19, 2015, 08:07:50 PM »

brandx

« Reply #60 on: February 19, 2015, 09:48:21 PM »

I think the NCAA would *love* if college basketball required at least three years like football.  Everyone knows the quality of the game has suffered tremendously due to talent leaving and lack of continuity with the players.  Can you imagine what next year's Duke team would look like with a third year Jabari Parker, and second year Okafor and Jones? 

It would look like a good team from the 80's.

A couple years ago, after an 18-0 start (or something close to that) Boeheim was asked how the team compared to some of the great teams he had in the 80s. He just laughed and said the 18-0 team would lose by 50.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #61 on: February 19, 2015, 10:05:13 PM »
IF the entire P5 goes for this, not adopting it may be a non-conference death sentence. I'm not sure how they'd enforce it but it wouldn't surprise me if they refused home and homes or non-con games (outside tourneys) with any league not adhering to the same rule. Like it or not, we probably need those teams to keep our scheduling solid. Otherwise there may be a lot of scrambling to play teams from the A10, MVC, and other mid major leagues, and if they chose to adopt the same freshman rule, those games might be unattainable too.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Texas Western

• All American
« Reply #62 on: February 19, 2015, 10:50:01 PM »
One of the big problems with this potential rule change is it doesn't reflect the reality of a student athletes life. The freshman would still have to put in all the effort of being on the team and go through the same stress, Yet he/she would not get the satisfaction of playing.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #63 on: February 20, 2015, 08:01:49 AM »
I love and hate this idea.

As some one who works in support services for college athletics, I see how many struggle adjusting to the academic workload of college and figuring out how to be a successful college student. Through athletics on top of this and many college athletes miss the entire college part of being a college athlete. There are mountains of research that prove how beneficial a redshirt freshman year is for college athletes.

On the other hand, I'm not sure it will impact the sport the way the schools hope it to. As TW pointed out, they will have all the rigors, just minus the playing time. It doesn't have to be that way but most coaches would treat it as such. I think a lot more students would go the juco route or go overseas and thus impact the quality of the game. If this had stayed a rule from the 70s it would be fine, but we've been feeding the egos of young basketball players for too long for it to be effective. They believe that they should play max minutes from day 1 and think that they are going pro after one year.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #64 on: February 20, 2015, 09:35:00 AM »
I really have trouble taking seriously that college presidents are so concerned about the student athlete academic experience given all that has happened with regards to conference alignment and television deals over the past few years.  Even now they could put in place travel scenarios that greatly limit the travel requirements - look what the Pac 12 does for instance with their travel partner concept.

I still think this is mostly a power play by the NCAA to get the NBA (and NBAPA) to agree to a "two and done" scenario.  They want to improve the quality of play on court and boost their television ratings.  I think that is their primary motivation here.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #65 on: February 20, 2015, 01:45:50 PM »
I really have trouble taking seriously that college presidents are so concerned about the student athlete academic experience given all that has happened with regards to conference alignment and television deals over the past few years.  Even now they could put in place travel scenarios that greatly limit the travel requirements - look what the Pac 12 does for instance with their travel partner concept.

I still think this is mostly a power play by the NCAA to get the NBA (and NBAPA) to agree to a "two and done" scenario.  They want to improve the quality of play on court and boost their television ratings.  I think that is their primary motivation here.

Oh without a doubt. Anyone that thinks they are actually acting in the best interests of the students is an idiot. But that doesn't mean they won't still try it and attempt to bully the non-P5 to come along.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #66 on: February 20, 2015, 05:23:38 PM »

Recruiting advantage for the BE to ignore this stupid idea.

It would be a NCAA rule across the board if adopted, no way a conference will do it on their own.  So no recruiting advantage.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #67 on: February 20, 2015, 05:24:22 PM »
One of the big problems with this potential rule change is it doesn't reflect the reality of a student athletes life. The freshman would still have to put in all the effort of being on the team and go through the same stress, Yet he/she would not get the satisfaction of playing.

Not all the effort.  No travel, for example.  Certainly not the same stress of playing, wondering if you are playing, preparing mentally to play.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks

Nukem2

• All American

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #70 on: April 20, 2015, 07:29:27 PM »
This will kill Bo Ryan's recruiting!
Maigh Eo for Sam

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #71 on: April 20, 2015, 07:42:16 PM »
The university presidents are all about the revenue... the $$$
So is the NBA.
This is the inherent conflict.  The NBA wants the stars as soon as possible but has had lots of problems with the "too young".

The baseball system works great, except there's no money in college baseball so it's really not a comparison.  It's a loss for most universities whereas Basketball can be a revenue generator for schools with good teams. 

The hockey system works great.  Except only Canadians watch hockey and both of them drank too much Labatts to care.

This leaves two options:
- The NBA teams develop their own "Academies" which provide schooling and basketball from age 16 with junior leagues and feeder programs into the pros.  Similar to English Premier League football, which is the best parallel to the NBA in terms of money and prestige and global appeal.  This would also clean up the AAU mess. 
- The universities continue with their facade, yet host these athletes for minimum 2 years instead of one, but the kids need to be able to play both years!

Imagine if this freshman ineligible thing applied to all sports... A swimmer must go one year without participating in meets and doesn't get any competitive times for a year?  What potential Olympic athlete would go for that?  Same with a track/field athlete.  Baseball... imagine going a year without seeing live pitching.
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

WarriorPride68

• All American
« Reply #72 on: April 20, 2015, 07:56:15 PM »
This will kill Bo Ryan's recruiting!

;) +1, made me laugh

brandx

« Reply #73 on: April 20, 2015, 08:43:40 PM »
Delaney is an idiot. His plan will kill college Basketball. The entire national game will become mid-major basketball.

And when the lawsuits start - from both players and the networks with the contracts, the whole thing will erupt in chaos. Players will have a case because only certain sports - the ones with the most minorities - are being affected. And CBS will not honor a contract if the NCAA takes away the star players. Delaney says "The increased costs would be covered with money from TV and media rights deals for the College Football Playoff and NCAA men's basketball tournament." This moron actually thinks CBS will pony up more money for a lesser product!!

People want to see the stars. They won't exist, for the most part, if freshmen are ineligible. The top HS players will no longer go to college.

What's left if you eliminate the top 25 -5- HS players coming in every year? They will have no motivation to go to college to sit for a year. Since they have to wait a year to get drafted anyway, they will go directly to the D-League. They can play right away and they will get paid.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #74 on: April 20, 2015, 10:56:36 PM »
This will not happen. Need consensus and it is not there. In many sports a large portion of the freshman class are red shirted already. Who cares if a few kids go one and done in basketball. College basketball is still far more appealing than the NBA. There is no need for the national conversation that Delaney suggests. People love college sports the way they are. The only modifications that I see are providing health care for athletes.The nature of many of the injuries sustained are permanent and there needs to be reasonable compensation.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

feedback