[Today at 05:53:49 AM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by Jay Bee
[Today at 05:13:02 AM]

Three Years Ago Today... by Newsdreams
[March 27, 2024, 11:34:10 PM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[March 27, 2024, 10:40:15 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Marquette Lacrosse  (Read 144180 times)

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
Re: Marquette Lacrosse
« Reply #75 on: February 23, 2015, 03:59:18 PM »
Our early success in Lacrosse is giving MU some excellent visibility in the major athletic high schools in the NY/NJ area.   Primarily in the Catholic Leagues.  This will directly help our basketball recruiting as there is a lot of crossover in the sport at the high school level.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #76 on: February 23, 2015, 04:35:12 PM »
IMO, it has to do with who is playing.  This sport isn't being played in the poorer neighborhoods, despite the expense.  I have a number of friends with sons that play this game and they have often opined this is a way to let their dudes get physical, hit people, without mommies getting all bent about their kids playing football.  It's a happy medium.

Almost all of them live in either Scottsdale, beach communities in California, or places like Anaheim Hills, other well to do locations. 

Well I think it's certainly moving down from those types of places to more of your average middle class area. I doubt it'll ever get lower than that.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Jables1604

• Team Captain
« Reply #77 on: February 23, 2015, 07:07:35 PM »
I'm in Fairfield County, Connecticut which has historically been a lacrosse hotbed.  Each year the list of public schools that field a team (not just in Fairfield County but statewide) increases.  I'm right near Bridgeport which is a very economically depressed city.   There are three major public high schools in town (Bassick, Harding (where Wesley Mathews' father was a star) and Central).  Central is the only school that fields a lacrosse team.

During the Spring I read the local newspaper every day and always check specifically for their scores.  Each time I hope to read that they knocked off one of the powerhouses but usually it ends up that they get destroyed.  It must discouraging to go out day in and day out and rolled by kids with names like Blaine, Spencer and Cameron.  The biggest problem is that out here kids start playing lacrosse when they are 5 or 6 years old.  No way inner-city kids who pick up a stick for the first time in 9th or 10th grade can compete with that.  Couple that with school budgets which are now requiring pay to play and  a major shortage in green space for teams to even practice and these kids are being set up to fail.

I hope that changes one day because it really is a great sport.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #78 on: February 23, 2015, 09:31:30 PM »
Lacrosse is big in the irish italian lower middle/middle class working parts of Long Island. Parents view it as a way for their kids to rise above their circumstance.  Lots of these kids end up at schools like St. Anthonys , Chaminade etc which are sports powerhouses. 
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #79 on: February 23, 2015, 09:41:30 PM »
It was supposed to be more of a joke than a troll but I guess it wasn't as obvious as I thought.

I am sure if I had followed my first instinct and posted that there is no way Whitney Young's lacrosse team was made up of mostly African American kids, someone would have called me a racist.

It appears that my original guess was correct. Most of the lacrosse players in CPS are kids that got into the highly selective magnet schools, and most of them would be at Ignatius, Lake Forest Academy, or the like if they hadn't gotten in.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2015, 09:43:59 PM by warriorchick »
Have some patience, FFS.

LloydsLegs

• All American
« Reply #80 on: February 23, 2015, 09:56:31 PM »
It was supposed to be more of a joke than a troll but I guess it wasn't as obvious as I thought.

It was obvious and funny!

CPS does not have many LAX teams-there are 8 CPS schools in the IHSLA. I would say that Mather is the closest to a blue collar non-magnet school with LAX in the CPS.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #81 on: February 23, 2015, 10:01:34 PM »
I am sure if I had followed my first instinct and posted that there is no way Whitney Young's lacrosse team was made up of mostly African American kids, someone would have called me a racist.

It appears that my original guess was correct. Most of the lacrosse players in CPS are kids that got into the highly selective magnet schools, and most of them would be at Ignatius, Lake Forest Academy, or the like if they hadn't gotten in.

Well a lot of people at said magnet schools can't afford ignitious loyala or Fenwick.  (Don't know where you got lake Forest that's not even in cook county let alone a catholic school that would attract kids from the city). Not arguing the race aspect of Lax, between lacrosse America, lane tech, OPRF and marquette club I played with probably 6 african American guys.  But money wise I completely disagree with your assessment where those kids would be if they weren't at that specific magnet school.  
« Last Edit: February 23, 2015, 10:03:18 PM by BagpipingBoxer »
Maigh Eo for Sam

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #82 on: February 23, 2015, 10:08:12 PM »
Well a lot of people at said magnet schools can't afford ignitious loyala or Fenwick.  (Don't know where you got lake Forest). Not arguing the race aspect of Lax, between lacrosse America, lane tech, OPRF and marquette club I played with probably 6 african American guys.  But money wise I completely disagree with your assessment where those kids would be if they weren't at that specific magnet school.  

I should have spoken more generally.  My point was that many of the students in the magnet schools were in private schools for grade school and would be in a private high school (schools that have lacrosse teams)if they hadn't got accepted into Whitney Young, Walter Payton, etc.  Not that there is anything wrong with that.  I am simply saying that is probably why the magnet schools have lacrosse and Simeon doesn't.
Have some patience, FFS.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #83 on: February 23, 2015, 10:38:19 PM »
I should have spoken more generally.  My point was that many of the students in the magnet schools were in private schools for grade school and would be in a private high school (schools that have lacrosse teams)if they hadn't got accepted into Whitney Young, Walter Payton, etc.  Not that there is anything wrong with that.  I am simply saying that is probably why the magnet schools have lacrosse and Simeon doesn't.
Out here there are a handful of  minority kids every year that are recruited into the good catholic schools and play lacrosse. The greatest lacrosse player in history was Jim Brown. There is a statue of him at Manhasset.  I think the big limiting factor is that to become good at the sport it takes years and years of practice with the stick .That is what makes it  so expensive. Year after Year of club lacrosse and travel to become good  is just a killer on the pocketbook.  It is one of the few sports where a 5-7 160 pound kid can compete with someone 6-3 245.
                       ---Al McGuire

manny31

• Starter
« Reply #84 on: February 25, 2015, 09:29:44 PM »
MU lax is #16, how about we talk about that.

Warrior Code

• All American
  • Undefeated since 1960
« Reply #85 on: February 25, 2015, 11:01:45 PM »
MU lax is #16, how about we talk about that.

Serious question, when was the last time the bball team was ranked that high?
Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #86 on: February 25, 2015, 11:10:36 PM »
Serious question, when was the last time the bball team was ranked that high?

Well, they were AP #17 on 11/11/13.  And AP #15 on 3/18/13, and even better AP #12 on 3/11/13.

And hoops has way more teams than LAX.

So...no that long ago really.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 11:13:56 PM by rocky_warrior »

Warrior Code

• All American
  • Undefeated since 1960
« Reply #87 on: February 25, 2015, 11:17:06 PM »
Well, they were AP #17 on 11/11/13.  And AP #15 on 3/18/13, and even better AP #12 on 3/11/13.

And hoops has way more teams than LAX.

So...no that long ago really.

Thanks. It certainly FEELS like a lot longer than that.
Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.

Jables1604

• Team Captain
« Reply #88 on: February 27, 2015, 05:14:48 PM »
Lacrosse team had a nice win over University of Detroit this afternoon.  12-6. Big game Sunday against Ohio State.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #89 on: February 27, 2015, 05:22:28 PM »
Lacrosse team had a nice win over University of Detroit this afternoon.  12-6. Big game Sunday against Ohio State.

or is it THE Ohio State

Jables1604

• Team Captain
« Reply #90 on: February 27, 2015, 05:29:20 PM »
I stand corrected Chico's.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #91 on: February 27, 2015, 05:32:56 PM »
I stand corrected Chico's.

I think you had it right quite frankly.  Only Buckturds go with the THE

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #92 on: February 27, 2015, 06:09:26 PM »
I think you had it right quite frankly.  Only Buckturds go with the THE

Seriously. Nothing gets me rolling my eyes more than when I hear that "The..." crap. 

Jables1604

• Team Captain
« Reply #93 on: March 01, 2015, 02:03:21 PM »
Lacrosse team just scored with 11 seconds left to beat THE Ohio State University (that's for you Chico's). We were down 9-6 in the 4th quarter and scored 4 unanswered. Great win for the school.

A W over 25th ranked Providence on the road would be a nice ending to this weekend.

Go Marquette!!!

bradley center bat

• All American
« Reply #94 on: March 01, 2015, 02:05:13 PM »
Once trailed 9-5. Ohio State missed a point blank range for the tie. What a comback for Marquette.

source?

• All American
« Reply #95 on: March 01, 2015, 02:19:00 PM »
Lacrosse team just scored with 11 seconds left to beat THE Ohio State University (that's for you Chico's). We were down 9-6 in the 4th quarter and scored 4 unanswered. Great win for the school.

A W over 25th ranked Providence on the road would be a nice ending to this weekend.

Go Marquette!!!

Just curious, where can I find the college lacrosse rankings?

Jables1604

• Team Captain
« Reply #96 on: March 01, 2015, 02:24:31 PM »
There are two polls. One is the NCAA poll which you can see on the NCAA website. The other is on the USILA website. We're currently 16 in the NCAA and 17 in the USILA poll. With two wins over the weekend I expect that will change when the new poll is released tomorrow.

Now, we need a big game from STJJr.

Ardmore Mug

• All American
« Reply #97 on: March 01, 2015, 02:28:27 PM »
http://www.insidelacrosse.com

Geoff Shannon @Geoff_Shannon
FINAL: @MarquetteMLax 10, @OhioState_MLAX 9. Fantastic comeback for the Golden Eagles. 5-0 on the season and climbing #ILGameday
Retweeted by Inside Lacrosse
« Last Edit: March 01, 2015, 02:30:24 PM by guzica »

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #98 on: March 01, 2015, 02:30:02 PM »
Congratulations to the long and short sticks

manny31

• Starter
« Reply #99 on: March 01, 2015, 10:31:03 PM »
Huge win vs the OSU. I hate them, I grew up in Michigan. The Warriors have a legit shot at an NCAA birth for lax which is a big deal. The lax tourney only takes 16 team, I think. Ring Out Ahoya for the lax bros!!!!!

feedback