[Today at 08:17:02 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by bilsu
[Today at 07:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 05:04:53 PM]

NIL Future by MU82
[Today at 03:21:43 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Marquette Lacrosse  (Read 144865 times)

Jables1604

• Team Captain
Marquette Lacrosse
« on: February 14, 2015, 02:33:12 PM »
Anyone looking for a silver lining today should be happy with this news. Marquette lacrosse beat #17/19 Hofstra 11-10 today in a homecoming game for Coach Amplo.  We beat Lehigh last weekend who was also ranked in the Top 20.  No doubt we'll be getting some votes this week in the national poll.

Great start to the 2015 season!

And before someone says it...I know...I know...Superbar...

dgies9156

• All American
Re: Marquette Lacrosse
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2015, 02:58:56 PM »
Anyone looking for a silver lining today should be happy with this news.

zzzzzzzzz

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2015, 03:00:10 PM »
winning yeah!  

Forgetting what that feels like.  I have a feeling Amplo will get gobbled up if we aren't competitive with the $$.  How serious are we?

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2015, 03:02:50 PM »
Nice win, but this should be in the Superbar.

Jables1604

• Team Captain
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2015, 03:12:58 PM »
I think getting the funding for the indoor facility was huge.  I've met Coach Amplo at a number of fundraising events in NYC over the past 2 or 3 years.  One of my high school classmates who also played lax back in the day at Marquette started a scholarship specifically directed towards the lacrosse program.  Right now I think he is quite happy and understands that Marquette always will be a basketball school.

In a press conference today Coach Amplo made a great point about a lot of the kids having a chip on their shoulders because they were passed over by bigger, more prestigious lacrosse schools.  I remember that when Jim Calhoun first got to UConn (I live in Connecticut that's the only reason I know the story) he knew he was at a huge disadvantage in recruiting kids because all the "good" players wanted to go to Syracuse, Georgetown, Villanova, St. John's etc.   Calhoun sold kids on coming to UConn based on the ability to play night in and night out against those kids that college coaches thought were better.  I think to a certain extent Coach Amplo is using a similar tactic.  Either way it seems to be working.

I'm like you though.  I'm concerned that Marquette will become a victim of it's own success and that Coach Amplo will move on to a more visible, higher paying job.

As for Dgies and your "zzzzzzzz" comment, I'm sure your the type of Marquette fan who, once we make the NCAA lacrosse tournament, will be wearing Marquete lacrosse t-shirts to your neighborhood barbecue bragging about what a great program we have.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2015, 03:19:59 PM »
And before someone says it...I know...I know...Superbar...

Nah, I think our lacrosse team is probably better at basketball than our basketball team.  They can play 50 vs. 7.

moomoo

• Team Captain
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2015, 03:38:35 PM »
Thanks for the info jables. This is a great start.

Amplo can make serious noise at Marquette and build a long tradition. And he can make just as much money by running camps as the sport grows in the Midwest, so I think he's here for a while. Lacrosse coaches don't make that much money directly from the universities, even at higher profile lax schools.

Silenzio. Parla il moomoo.

Texas Western

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2015, 05:05:19 PM »
Success in Lacrosse is good for the school . Will translate into big endowment dollars over the long term. In the short term we will get a game or two on ESPN and that helps with visibility in the lacrosse hot beds.

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2015, 08:49:11 AM »
Success in Lacrosse is good for the school . Will translate into big endowment dollars over the long term. In the short term we will get a game or two on ESPN and that helps with visibility in the lacrosse hot beds.

Home games this year against current #1 (and Big East favorite) Denver and current #3 Duke on CBS Sports Network in April.

Hopefully, they're competitive games.  MU has been outscored 71-25 in two games against each opponent in the first two years of the program.
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

manny31

• Starter
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2015, 09:27:38 AM »
Yes, great news for the program. MU is doing well for such a young program. Any nay sayers have probably not seen a game. Lacrosse is a great game and growing at a crazy pace. Along with this growth it becoming more mainstream and there seems to be less of the "lax bro" garbage. Go MU!

lohaus

• Starter
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2015, 09:08:55 PM »
Two huge wins for the Marquette lacrosse program.  It was just two seasons ago the eventual national championship Duke lacrosse came to town and demolished Marquette.  You can't beat the price of the game for group rate tickets.  Two top four lacrosse teams coming to town. 

My son loved the Marquette lacrosse camp this summer.  They put in lots of time with free coaches clinics to help further the sport in the area.

Jables1604

• Team Captain
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2015, 09:20:11 PM »
I think we really could be at the forefront of a huge lacrosse boom in the non-traditional lacrosse markets. Keep in mind that Bill Tierney coached Princeton to 6 NCAA titles. A few years back he left Princeton to take the job at Denver. The reason he did that is because he wanted to be in an area where the game was growing and growing at a rapid pace.

The only other team in the area was the Air Force Academy. In 5 years Tierney has taken Denver to 3 Final Fours and they are currently the #1 ranked team in the country. Throw on top of that that they are a playing member of he Big East for lacrosse and that they will be traveling to Milwaukee for a nationally televised game on April 18th.

Like I said, Marquette will always be a basketball school...and I love that. But it is a very exciting time for the lacrosse program and for that we should all be happy.

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2015, 08:20:20 AM »
I think we really could be at the forefront of a huge lacrosse boom in the non-traditional lacrosse markets.

I think that was part of the idea behind starting the programs, both men's and women's.  Get out in front of the boom, and by the time that other schools decide to start getting on board, Marquette already has an established (and hopefully) successful program.
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

Cheer4MU

• Walk-On
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2015, 08:20:36 AM »
If Marquette lacrosse can stay on its current upward path, I think it could grow into a big draw student-wise as something to cheer for outside of basketball.  There is some season overlap between the two but the Lax regular season goes until late April with a fair amount of Saturday games.  

I think that in the future with a nationally competitive team, state of the art indoor and outdoor facilities, and a solid fan base, lacrosse could become a fun secondary program to support.  Soccer has been very successful in recent years and draws a decent crowd, but lacrosse could easily rival and surpass it.

Jables1604

• Team Captain
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2015, 08:40:45 AM »
Inside Lacroose poll just released this morning. Marquette is ranked #17. What a huge accomplishment. Coach Amplo (and the rest of us) should rightfully be very proud. Incredible for such a young program.

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2015, 02:34:53 PM »
If Marquette lacrosse can stay on its current upward path, I think it could grow into a big draw student-wise as something to cheer for outside of basketball.  There is some season overlap between the two but the Lax regular season goes until late April with a fair amount of Saturday games.  

I think that in the future with a nationally competitive team, state of the art indoor and outdoor facilities, and a solid fan base, lacrosse could become a fun secondary program to support.  Soccer has been very successful in recent years and draws a decent crowd, but lacrosse could easily rival and surpass it.

Lacrosse has the advantage of not being a global force. Men's soccer has lost two players (Novakovich & Navarro) in the last two years because they were much better served by pursuing a professional career than going to/staying in school.
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

Atticus

• All American
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2015, 02:55:58 PM »
Inside Lacroose poll just released this morning. Marquette is ranked #17. What a huge accomplishment. Coach Amplo (and the rest of us) should rightfully be very proud. Incredible for such a young program.

I saw this and decided to do some research. Popular opinion from lax fans seems to be that there is little meaning in weekly rankings outside of the top 8 or so. Above 8, the remaining teams are just about equal (along with a handful of unranked teams). Still, better to be ranked than unranked.

And what's the deal with final four attendance for lax? It has taken a nosedive...

http://www.laxpower.com/common/NCAA-Attendance.php

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2015, 04:52:10 PM »
I saw this and decided to do some research. Popular opinion from lax fans seems to be that there is little meaning in weekly rankings outside of the top 8 or so. Above 8, the remaining teams are just about equal (along with a handful of unranked teams). Still, better to be ranked than unranked.

And what's the deal with final four attendance for lax? It has taken a nosedive...

http://www.laxpower.com/common/NCAA-Attendance.php

Particularly early in the season, as some teams have played three or four games while some have only played one or even not at all yet.

As far as attendance goes, I believe I've read that ticket prices have gone way up over the last few years, which is probably not helping.  Also, the title game participants haven't really matched up with the locations. Two Maryland teams in Boston, North Carolina & upstate NY in Philly, and last year, North Carolina & Indiana in Baltimore.  Given that the Final Four is on Memorial Day weekend, it can be hard to get people to travel major distances on a whim.
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2015, 06:16:22 PM »
I willing to bet the NCAA took something like lacrosse that had family friendly pricing and jack up the price, that folks are not willing to sit in the upper deck for that cost.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2015, 07:00:15 PM »
Can this be moved off the Al board, please!  I'm tired of looking at this as a topic on a basketball board.  I hope MU lacrosse does well, but this doesn't belong here.  Few give a rip, and the few that do, can find it in the Superbar.  
« Last Edit: February 16, 2015, 07:09:32 PM by HutchwasClutch »

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2015, 07:30:22 PM »

Jables1604

• Team Captain
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2015, 07:34:41 PM »
I love it when guys click on a thread for the sole purpose of complaining that they have no interest in reading that thread.  If you're that busy and pressed for time don't click on it. I'm tired of the same 8 posters re-hashing everything thats right and/or wrong with Marquette basketball.  This board could use some positive news.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2015, 07:36:04 PM »
Not to mention, that's what the "Report to Moderator" function is for.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2015, 07:39:18 PM »
Next year should be better.   I see good things for soccer, volleyball, and lacrosse.   Get the train back on the tracks.

WarhawkWarrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2015, 07:42:27 PM »
Move to Superbar?

feedback