[April 17, 2024, 11:14:56 PM]

Academic All Americans by AlumKCof93
[April 17, 2024, 10:44:57 PM]

Maximilian Langenfeld by withoutbias
[April 17, 2024, 10:44:37 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by WhiteTrash
[April 17, 2024, 07:24:33 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Marquette offers 2015 PG Traci Carter  (Read 148554 times)

connie

• All American
Re: Marquette offers 2015 PG Traci Carter
« Reply #275 on: March 05, 2015, 09:28:52 AM »
Juan is a senior.  Unless he's going the Otule route, I think he's leaving.
Should have used teal I guess.
"Let's be careful out there."  Phil Esterhaus

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #276 on: March 05, 2015, 09:31:14 AM »
Do you really believe that JJJ thinks he is somewhat over matched at this level? I don't think he feels that way. He has had an up and down year, but he still attacks the basket confidently, so it doesn't appear he feels he is overmatched, and he has had some 20 point games.
And what about the incoming class should make him feel threatened? He was more highly rated than those (except Ellenson). If JJJ should feel that way, then that same logic would hold for Sandy.
Do agree that he and his family must decide, especially if he feels he is not close enough to family and friends. Whatever he does, good luck to him.

Fair point.  I can't tell you what JjJ thinks.  Personally, I hope he stays but would understand why he might consider other options.

GOO

• All American
« Reply #277 on: March 05, 2015, 09:40:25 AM »
It would be a loss if he doesn't come back, IF, he takes the attitude that he is going to improve and fight like heck to get a starting spot and playing time.  If he isn't committed to a lot of time in the gym and weight room this summer, working with coaches and on his shot, then he may as well transfer now and sit out a year to work on his game.

I think the challenge for the coaching staff is to lay it out there, that if he wants playing time or to be a starter, he has to work like heck this off season.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #278 on: March 05, 2015, 09:43:27 AM »
Might be true, but I doubt you're right. Jajuan has elite level speed and that will appeal to some. Not any top teams, but some of the not so good Power 5 teams will at least check him out. His numbers aren't as bad as everyone on here thinks they are.

First, I'd like to see JJJ stay. He has some talent, he can get better -- it does happen -- and I would just rather not have such a revolving door as a rule.

However, if he does go, one really doesn't know yet what kind of schools will pursue him. A Power 5 with a scholly open, relatively few realistic irons in the fire for top freshmen and a specific need at wing might go for somebody like him.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #279 on: March 05, 2015, 10:15:55 AM »
Fair point.  I can't tell you what JjJ thinks.  Personally, I hope he stays but would understand why he might consider other options.
Here is where we start to run into playing time problems. JJJ will be competing with Duane and likely Anim and Cheatham for minutes. IMO, Duane needs to play 30 plus minutes per game. JJJ may not be happy with only 10-15 minutes per game. I know I would not if I had his talent. I think that is natural.

If he leaves, and I hope he stays, then we have lost a good player with two years experience. We do not know yet what Cheatham and Anim will bring to the table next year.

This is the type of problem that is created when you have 6 wing type players who are all talented. They all want to play. And the numbers simply do not allow that to happen.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #280 on: March 05, 2015, 10:31:19 AM »
Here is where we start to run into playing time problems. JJJ will be competing with Duane and likely Anim and Cheatham for minutes. IMO, Duane needs to play 30 plus minutes per game. JJJ may not be happy with only 10-15 minutes per game. I know I would not if I had his talent. I think that is natural.

If he leaves, and I hope he stays, then we have lost a good player with two years experience. We do not know yet what Cheatham and Anim will bring to the table next year.

This is the type of problem that is created when you have 6 wing type players who are all talented. They all want to play. And the numbers simply do not allow that to happen.
  The bolded part is the reason I think he needs to stay and what Wojo and staff need to hammer home for JjJ.  One of the spots should be JjJ's to lose next year, provided he hits the weight room and shoots a jillion shots  per day between the end of this season and the start of next.  I don't think it's a stretch or a lie for Wojo to tell him that to keep him here. 
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #281 on: March 05, 2015, 10:42:49 AM »

We are 3-14 in conference.  Absolutely nobody on this team is guaranteed anything.  I hope JjJ stays and earns a ton of minutes next year based on his growth over the summer.  But he must become a much better basketball player or be passed up by younger guys if he can't assuming we are to improve significantly in the near term.  If either Cheatham or Anim are better than JjJ out of the box in June his opportunity will have passed and we simply can't call him a 'good player' or 'talented'.  I hope that's not true and I sincerely hope Wojo gets to evaluate all of the guys going forward.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #282 on: March 05, 2015, 10:46:25 AM »

If a player leaves because he is afraid of some competition from some incoming freshmen then good riddance. I want the type of player who will use that as added incentive and motivation to improve. It's ridiculous to let that possibility drive your recruiting philosophy and decisions.

NotAnAlum

• All American
« Reply #283 on: March 05, 2015, 11:44:36 AM »
  The bolded part is the reason I think he needs to stay and what Wojo and staff need to hammer home for JjJ.  One of the spots should be JjJ's to lose next year, provided he hits the weight room and shoots a jillion shots  per day between the end of this season and the start of next.  I don't think it's a stretch or a lie for Wojo to tell him that to keep him here. 

Agree with Lighthouse.  JjJ will be a JUNIOR!  A junior who was getting 15 - 20 minutes as a Soph.  A Junior with no Senior at his position ahead of him.  A Junior Guard who will face a recruiting class of Freshman guards none of which was ranked in the top 50.  Playing for a coach who seems to prefer a 3 guard offense.  If he can't deal with that situation then he isn't much of a competitor.

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #284 on: March 05, 2015, 02:35:04 PM »
Fingers are crossed that Traci commits this weekend!

muhoops1

• All American
« Reply #285 on: March 05, 2015, 03:42:06 PM »
Fingers are crossed that Traci commits this weekend!

Has he given a date or is there a date when they are able to announce their decisions?  If my memory serves me correctly, he has already visited X...

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #286 on: March 05, 2015, 03:52:58 PM »
Has he given a date or is there a date when they are able to announce their decisions?  If my memory serves me correctly, he has already visited X...

He can announce whenever he wants.  He can sign his NLI starting April 15.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #287 on: March 05, 2015, 03:59:57 PM »
If a player leaves because he is afraid of some competition from some incoming freshmen then good riddance. I want the type of player who will use that as added incentive and motivation to improve. It's ridiculous to let that possibility drive your recruiting philosophy and decisions.
If you would have read my other post, I said that it appears that JJJ is not one that would be afraid of competition from incoming freshmen. And I did not say that should drive the recruiting philosophy. I have said that 6 wings is enough, especially with Duane being on the floor 30 plus minutes per game. Others think that 8 or 9 is all right because "It will sort itself out". I do not believe in that and do not believe most coaches do either. It breeds for discontent.

Dave Krupinski

• Scholarship Player
    • Johnny Jungle
« Reply #288 on: March 05, 2015, 04:09:47 PM »
He's a 2, correct?  Any other 1s who are going to be a steal?

KJ Walton is probably best unsigned guard. He's a combo who can really light it up. A stronger Dwight Buycks. There are still some question marks if he'll quality but last I heard he's gonna squeak through. Minny and Cincy are on him the hardest.
www.JohnnyJungle.com
6th Man of St. John's Basketball

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #289 on: March 05, 2015, 04:15:40 PM »
If you would have read my other post, I said that it appears that JJJ is not one that would be afraid of competition from incoming freshmen. And I did not say that should drive the recruiting philosophy. I have said that 6 wings is enough, especially with Duane being on the floor 30 plus minutes per game. Others think that 8 or 9 is all right because "It will sort itself out". I do not believe in that and do not believe most coaches do either. It breeds for discontent.

Assuming we add Carter...

PG - Traci Carter, Haanif Cheatham, (Duane Wilson)
SG - Duane Wilson, Haanif Cheatham, Sacar Anim
SF - Jajuan Johnson, Sandy Cohen, Wally Ellenson, Sacar Anim
PF - Henry Ellenson, Steve Taylor, Wally Ellenson
C - Luke Fischer, Matt Heldt, Steve Taylor

Where is this overlap you are talking about? Maybe Duane slides to some point, Jajuan slides down, but everyone on the roster would be either first or second option at some position in that set-up except for Anim and Wally, both of whom could see minutes at 2-3 positions. Every time this comes up you talk about discontent or how we have too many guys for the positions, yet when I actually ask you to say why you evade the question.

Could we use another PG in this setup? Sure. Maybe another big man to allow Henry to play the 3 and give us a bit more grit underneath? Sure. Would some guys, possibly Anim or Cheatham, have to wait their turn for minutes? Sure. But will that upset the entire applecart of the program? I don't think so.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Dave Krupinski

• Scholarship Player
    • Johnny Jungle
« Reply #290 on: March 05, 2015, 04:17:58 PM »
Given the quality of recruit and the schools MU is going up against, I think a "coup" is overstating it a bit.

At this stage of the game he is. The well is really dry for PGs in '15 and if Carter didn't get hurt and played this summer he'd be a fringe top 100 player (90-120).

He's basically what you wish Derrick Wilson would be.
www.JohnnyJungle.com
6th Man of St. John's Basketball

SWARM!

• Starter
« Reply #291 on: March 05, 2015, 05:14:44 PM »

He's basically what you wish Derrick Wilson would be.

Traci's a football player?

tower912

• All American
« Reply #292 on: March 05, 2015, 05:22:44 PM »
I know I am in the minority on this, but if an incoming guard was described as Derrick Wilson with a jumpshot and the confidence to finish at the rim, I would be ecstatic.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #293 on: March 05, 2015, 05:28:58 PM »
Memphis, Vandy, Ole Miss will have zero interest. He needs to find a home at a low- or mid-major. No one in the Power 5 will want him.

Iowa State wanted Burton, and he was behind JjJ.

JjJ staying or leaving could (should?) come down to whether JjJ thinks he can play defense to Wojo's satisfaction.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2015, 05:37:59 PM by LittleWade »
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #294 on: March 05, 2015, 06:27:03 PM »

Where is this overlap you are talking about? Maybe Duane slides to some point, Jajuan slides down, but everyone on the roster would be either first or second option at some position in that set-up except for Anim and Wally, both of whom could see minutes at 2-3 positions. Every time this comes up you talk about discontent or how we have too many guys for the positions, yet when I actually ask you to say why you evade the question.

Could we use another PG in this setup? Sure. Maybe another big man to allow Henry to play the 3 and give us a bit more grit underneath? Sure. Would some guys, possibly Anim or Cheatham, have to wait their turn for minutes? Sure. But will that upset the entire applecart of the program? I don't think so.
We have 6 guys already for next year that are 2G/Wings: Duane, Sandy, JJJ, Cheatham, Anim, Wally (who is listed as a G on the roster.) And people are saying we may go after another one. That is 80 minutes for those two positions. If Duane gets 30 plus, that leaves about 50 for the other 5 guys. Not saying that will happen, but some of those guys may become unhappy, with DNP's or two or three minutes per game.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #295 on: March 05, 2015, 06:36:34 PM »
We have 6 guys already for next year that are 2G/Wings: Duane, Sandy, JJJ, Cheatham, Anim, Wally (who is listed as a G on the roster.) And people are saying we may go after another one. That is 80 minutes for those two positions. If Duane gets 30 plus, that leaves about 50 for the other 5 guys. Not saying that will happen, but some of those guys may become unhappy, with DNP's or two or three minutes per game.

I'm fairly confident Wally will play some 4, no matter how they list him on the roster. Duane will also play some 1. We'll run some 3-guard lineups like we do this year.

Regardless, even if all of those guys were pigeon-holed to only those two positions (they're not), that gives those 6 players an average of 13.3 mpg and the other 7 would average 17.2 mpg. And as there will be some crossover, that's really not much of a disparity.

On a 13-man roster, some guys are not going to play. That's just reality. There is no easy fix. The only way this is a problem is that we have to find a way to keep 13 players happy with an average of 15.4 minutes per player per game. That's all 13 guys divided into the 200 available minutes. The only way to change that is to take transfers that won't play next year. Maybe Wojo will do that. Otherwise, some guys are going to be unhappy. Just like would be the case on any team in the country with 13 scholarship players.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #296 on: March 05, 2015, 07:17:55 PM »
I know I am in the minority on this, but if an incoming guard was described as Derrick Wilson with a jumpshot and the confidence to finish at the rim, I would be ecstatic.   

Well yeah. But that guy would be going to duke.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #297 on: March 05, 2015, 09:13:47 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBT3CqS5C20

Fairly recent highlight video.  I understand it's hard to take much away from a highlight video as he sure isn't going to shoot 1.000 like he did in this, but the offensive game is certainly there to contribute from day one.  It will come down to whether he can defend or not.

Shows good shot form, fairly quick release, ability to shoot it off of the dribble, and a smooth (all in 1 motion, not a bunch of hitches or different angles like Juan and JJJ) shot form.  Has the ability to hit from the outside, mid range, or get to the rim.  Willing to penetrate and finish or dish.  Quick, especially with change of directions.  Dribbles the ball too high, but I have no doubt that our coaching staff will be able to fix that before he ever sees a minute of game action if he ends up choosing Marquette.

Wow, underrated is right judging by that video. Tight handle, quick/explosive, changes speeds very well, constantly probes the defense, can get his and create for others too. He would be an instant upgrade at the 1, and a guy I'd give the keys to from day 1. Really hope he sees the appeal of immediate PT and a bench full of former stud D1 PG mentors.

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #298 on: March 06, 2015, 09:38:11 AM »

I keep hearing this. Can Cheatham really play PG? Is that was he is doing at the HS level?
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #299 on: March 06, 2015, 09:46:57 AM »
Onepostellenson recently clarified an earlier comment.  He said the staff views Cheatham as someone that has some intriguing potential as a PG.  The intriguing potential comment originally morphed into "the staff thinks Cheatham is a PG" but he's really a wing first and foremost.  They aren't going to be sure until Cheatham arrives on campus.

I think Duane will play some PG as will Carter/whoever commits.  Cheatham is probably 3rd in line behind them.  If the staff adds 2 PG, Duane might play almost exclusively on the wing and Cheatham is at best a longterm maybe at PG.