[Today at 02:40:05 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 02:30:34 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[Today at 02:24:16 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by Jay Bee
[Today at 02:05:40 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Marquette offers 2015 PG Traci Carter  (Read 147885 times)

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
Re: Marquette offers 2015 PG Traci Carter
« Reply #175 on: March 03, 2015, 08:34:26 AM »
Using 100 minutes at the wing as you have suggested will still create issues for some. You will need Duane on the floor for at least 30 plus minutes per game, and "somebody else" at PG for 15-20 minutes per game. That leaves about 50 minutes for Sandy, JJJ, Cheatham, Wally, Anim, (and possibly somebody else). Somebody will not be happy and will leave--so pick your poison there. I know, I know "it will sort itself out". Just don't like that type of "sorting out".

You may not like it but it's reality.  Many of us have learned to accept it and it makes things a lot less stressful to not worry about who may or may not leave.  Just get the best team that can be assembled.  Besides, Wally was an end of bench player at Minnesota and Anim likely needs time to develop.  So one of JJ/Sandy/Cheatham starts and gets 25 mpg.  Duane gets 30 mpg.  That leaves 25 mpg to give to the other two wings off the bench.  Maybe it's split 20-5 or 15-10 or 25-0...I don't mean this the wrong way, but it will sort itself out.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #176 on: March 03, 2015, 08:38:20 AM »
It will sort itself like you said but MU needs a real 3, not a couple of Division 2 type players.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #177 on: March 03, 2015, 08:43:49 AM »
I'm starting to see two PG options emerge as the most likely scenarios:

1) Carter commits & MU adds grad transfer.  Grad transfer hedges if Carter isn't ready to start as a frosh, then Carter competes for starting job next year vs 2016 PG recruit.

2) Miller or other JUCO & ???  Is the 2nd a grad transfer or an under the radar HS/Prep School player?

I suppose Wojo could try to add both Carter and Miller.  Just trying to read the tea leaves while Wojo holds them very close to the vest.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #178 on: March 03, 2015, 10:11:56 AM »
That leaves about 50 minutes for Sandy, JJJ, Cheatham, Wally, Anim, (and possibly somebody else). Somebody will not be happy and will leave--so pick your poison there. I know, I know "it will sort itself out". Just don't like that type of "sorting out".

I would question exact numbers, but quite simply, so freaking what? We have 13 scholarships to fill. Some guys aren't going to get as many minutes as they like. It's called reality. If the guys at the end of the bench leave, that opens up space for guys to take their place. The best play, the others either go elsewhere or keep working for their chance. We've seen both this year. Deonte and Dawson left, Jajuan worked hard and improved. That's the nature of the sport.

When there are 13 guys for 200 minutes, some won't be happy. That leaves only two choices. Go with a short roster (working so well this year) or accept that some guys won't be happy. I don't think anyone wants to leave open scholarships just to make players happy. Competition will encourage hard work to get those minutes.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #179 on: March 03, 2015, 12:08:11 PM »
I would question exact numbers, but quite simply, so freaking what? We have 13 scholarships to fill. Some guys aren't going to get as many minutes as they like. It's called reality. If the guys at the end of the bench leave, that opens up space for guys to take their place. The best play, the others either go elsewhere or keep working for their chance. We've seen both this year. Deonte and Dawson left, Jajuan worked hard and improved. That's the nature of the sport.

When there are 13 guys for 200 minutes, some won't be happy. That leaves only two choices. Go with a short roster (working so well this year) or accept that some guys won't be happy. I don't think anyone wants to leave open scholarships just to make players happy. Competition will encourage hard work to get those minutes.
I haven't advocated leaving open scholarships. Would advocate better balance in positions and classes.
If you like transfers and the problems that creates, that is your choice.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #180 on: March 03, 2015, 12:24:16 PM »
Willie,

We're not going to perfect the roster in one year.  Sure some kids will get fewer minutes than they'd like.  Right now we just need to add quality ballplayers.  And PG is the most pressing need.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #181 on: March 03, 2015, 12:51:55 PM »
I haven't advocated leaving open scholarships. Would advocate better balance in positions and classes.
So you balance by not looking at the best players available by position, because you might have someone transfer, because they will be unhappy with their playing time? Well Kenucky, Duke, NC, etc. should start to worry about transfers.
Goal is National Championship

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #182 on: March 03, 2015, 01:50:55 PM »
So you balance by not looking at the best players available by position, because you might have someone transfer, because they will be unhappy with their playing time? Well Kenucky, Duke, NC, etc. should start to worry
Yeah--let me know when we are close to one of those programs--right now we do not have that talent. And yeah, if you have 6 or 7 good wings but do not have a PG, or a center, or any other position, you do not have a good balance. And many coaches try to do it that way in their recruiting.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #183 on: March 03, 2015, 02:14:14 PM »
So you balance by not looking at the best players available by position, because you might have someone transfer, because they will be unhappy with their playing time? Well Kenucky, Duke, NC, etc. should start to worry
Yeah--let me know when we are close to one of those programs--right now we do not have that talent. And yeah, if you have 6 or 7 good wings but do not have a PG, or a center, or any other position, you do not have a good balance. And many coaches try to do it that way in their recruiting.
Exactly we do not have that talent. What is wrong to try to get the best. I'm not comparing us to them I'm saying they go after the best they do no care how deep they are already. Will say this again, Wojo has shown his style of playing is 3 guards, 1 forward, 1 center. Two of the guards are sg or "wings" so what is wrong with 6 of them. Four will see plenty of time other 2 will have spot minutes while they develop. If you use 13 scholarships you are going to be 3 deep at some positions, maybe Wojo wants that to happen at both sg positions. Of course I'm just speculating and ultimately Wojo will do as he wants. Guess we need to respect the process, hey?
Goal is National Championship

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #184 on: March 03, 2015, 02:29:16 PM »

You offer complaints but no solutions. 13 players for 5 positions. You balk at the idea of 7 guys for three of those positions, but that's 54% of the scholarships vying for 60% of the minutes. Three points, three bigs compete for the other 40% with some positional overflow, the "switchable variable" if you will.

That IS balance. That is maximizing your roster and creating healthy competition, which in turn should bring out the best in players that are competitive.

There aren't other options. This is the roster balance you say you want. Unless you leave open scholarships, players will have to compete for minutes. That's just reality.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #185 on: March 03, 2015, 05:09:34 PM »
You offer complaints but no solutions. 13 players for 5 positions. You balk at the idea of 7 guys for three of those positions, but that's 54% of the scholarships vying for 60% of the minutes. Three points, three bigs compete for the other 40% with some positional overflow, the "switchable variable" if you will.

That IS balance. That is maximizing your roster and creating healthy competition, which in turn should bring out the best in players that are competitive.

There aren't other options. This is the roster balance you say you want. Unless you leave open scholarships, players will have to compete for minutes. That's just reality.
Ok, let's take them one by one, since you have no concept of what somebody says, other than you lame stuff.
1. 7 wings is not a complaint, it is an opinion.
2. I stated the solution. More balance for the positions and classes. End of that lame comment  made by you.
3. 7 guys for two positions not three like you allege. 2G and Wing are two positions, not three. Take math again, because you need it.

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #186 on: March 03, 2015, 05:35:13 PM »
Ok, let's take them one by one, since you have no concept of what somebody says, other than you lame stuff.
2. I stated the solution. More balance for the positions and classes. End of that lame comment  made by you.
3. 7 guys for two positions not three like you allege. 2G and Wing are two positions, not three. Take math again, because you need it.

Mmmmm 7 wings

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #187 on: March 03, 2015, 05:47:54 PM »
I don't think anybody can conclude what Wojo "prefers" based on what he has "shown" this year.  He was handed a roster short on both talent and height.  He's had to manage getting through games with as little as 6 healthy scholarship layers and at most 9.  I think Wojo playing 3 guards, a forward, and a center has more to do with getting the 5 best players on the floor and less to do with wanting to play 3 guys who could possibly all play point guard.

Respect the process, ai'na?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #188 on: March 03, 2015, 07:03:50 PM »

1. When you say something is a problem, that's a complaint.
2. And I broke down the positional overlap and why it isn't a problem. Reality is guys play multiple positions. Johnson plays 2-3. Duane plays 1-3. Cheatham will likely play 1-3. Wally probably 3-4. Very few of these guys are pigeon holed to one strict position.
3. At this level, many 2's and 3's are interchangeable. The seven players will be playing the positions. Honestly, it's probably closer to 8 players at those the positions once all is said and done.

If you want to back up your claim, do so. I slotted names into positions. Who are the 7 guys slotted into 2 positions? Because looking at next year's roster, there is no way that is a logical conclusion.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #189 on: March 03, 2015, 07:16:12 PM »
I agree with this, absolutely. Everybody knows we need a PG, but putting that on a 150 recruit frosh is un- realistic. While we all hope he could be the answer, a lot has to happen. First, can we get him, 2nd, as a frosh, what do we expect. Lots of people on this board do not think Duane is a PG, yet, he was much more highly rated as a recruit, and a PG, and has two years in the system already. But plenty of people are not sold on him.
Things do not look that great for next year at PG, either. Maybe the keys need to be placed in somebody else's hands.

Did you hit your head on a door jam?  Our best option among those on the team this year was Derrick, and Dean "the dream" ain't walking through the door next year.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Dave Krupinski

• Scholarship Player
    • Johnny Jungle
« Reply #190 on: March 03, 2015, 10:42:53 PM »
Traci Carter would be 4 year starter for you. Very solid, consistent, college ready player. Was injured all of last summer which had low major-mid major coaches very hopeful he'd fall under the radar.

Malik Ellison also mentioned is going to be a serious steal for someone this spring. Kid just keeps growing and getting better. I can't believe at the lack of attention he's getting. Top 75 talent.
www.JohnnyJungle.com
6th Man of St. John's Basketball

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #191 on: March 04, 2015, 07:47:17 AM »
Traci Carter would be 4 year starter for you. Very solid, consistent, college ready player. Was injured all of last summer which had low major-mid major coaches very hopeful he'd fall under the radar.

Malik Ellison also mentioned is going to be a serious steal for someone this spring. Kid just keeps growing and getting better. I can't believe at the lack of attention he's getting. Top 75 talent.

Welcome back Dave.  We're hoping he sees the opportunity here and shakes Wojo's hand this weekend at his visit.  Your Johnnies have put together a nice little run.  Sorry that we've got to do everything possible to spoil it for one evening.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #192 on: March 04, 2015, 08:10:02 AM »

Thanks for the info.  From that perspective it's clear why Wojo has Carter as his PG priority over someone like Dequon Miller.  If Carter can be a 4 year starter vs Miller being a 2 year starter, that's a clear edge for Carter.  Really hope Wojo lands his guy but both are talented. If Carter goes elsewhere I'd still be excited to get Miller.

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #193 on: March 04, 2015, 08:32:06 AM »

He's a 2, correct?  Any other 1s who are going to be a steal?
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #194 on: March 04, 2015, 08:49:07 AM »
I don't think anybody can conclude what Wojo "prefers" based on what he has "shown" this year.  He was handed a roster short on both talent and height.  He's had to manage getting through games with as little as 6 healthy scholarship layers and at most 9.  I think Wojo playing 3 guards, a forward, and a center has more to do with getting the 5 best players on the floor and less to do with wanting to play 3 guys who could possibly all play point guard.

Respect the process, ai'na?

Exactly. We are short on talent. We need more of it. As long as each position is "filled" -- and PG already is because Duane could play there in a worst-case scenario that wouldn't be bad at all -- you just go out and get the best players you can.

We're 11-17. We need great players everywhere.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

GOO

• All American
« Reply #195 on: March 04, 2015, 08:59:12 AM »
Exactly. We are short on talent. We need more of it. As long as each position is "filled" -- and PG already is because Duane could play there in a worst-case scenario that wouldn't be bad at all -- you just go out and get the best players you can.

We're 11-17. We need great players everywhere.
But, if Duane has to play point a lot, that means he is not at the 2 and someone with less ready is at the 2, of course.  We need a one so that our best player going into next year can concentrate on being a scorer and opening up the lane for our big guys.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #196 on: March 04, 2015, 09:25:18 AM »

As I wrote a few pages back, landing Carter would be a coup for Wojo.

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #197 on: March 04, 2015, 09:29:25 AM »
As I wrote a few pages back, landing Carter would be a coup for Wojo.

Given the quality of recruit and the schools MU is going up against, I think a "coup" is overstating it a bit.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #198 on: March 04, 2015, 09:42:58 AM »
Given the quality of recruit and the schools MU is going up against, I think a "coup" is overstating it a bit.

Beating out UConn, Xavier, Memphis, and Creighton (along with interest at one point or another from Tennessee, Indiana, Florida State, Missouri, St. John's, Providence, Cal, Pitt, NC State, BC, and Seton Hall) for a 4 star point guard who was injured during the most important evaluation period would be a major coup.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2015, 10:19:25 AM by wadesworld »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #199 on: March 04, 2015, 09:43:21 AM »

He has 11 predictions on 247.  4 Louisville, 6 UConn, 1 Xavier.  The UConn & Xavier predictions are all since the start of February.

Swiping a recruit out from underneath UConn and away from a conference rival?  Coup is a solid term.
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle