[Today at 09:41:46 AM]

NM by Uncle Rico
[Today at 08:59:21 AM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by DFW HOYA
[Today at 08:41:22 AM]

2024-25 Outlook by WellsstreetWanderer
[April 25, 2024, 10:03:37 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Marquette offers 2015 PG Traci Carter  (Read 148695 times)

esotericmindguy

• All American
Re: Marquette offers 2015 PG Traci Carter
« Reply #150 on: March 02, 2015, 03:04:12 PM »
Can we pump the brakes on Carter a bit? My goodness, he's ranked 156 on average. Wojo lands at top 10 recruit and we're going to use Carter as the barometer? I'm sure he's a nice player, but he likely won't play much next year even if he does choose MU. How many top 100 recruits have made an impact at Marquette their freshman year? JJJ, Burton, Juan, Smith, Cohen, etc. haven't been able to. The only reason he's being highly recruited is because its late in the game and teams need to round out recruiting classes, or in Marquette's case have a second PG on the roster.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #151 on: March 02, 2015, 03:05:42 PM »
Would you mind covering what you mean here? Is he sort of using UT as a safety school and waiting to see what Wojo and/or Carter does? Hopefully Wojo pulls out the stops this weekend. I'd really love to see this team fill out and get a consistent roster here.

Seems like he is down to his final 4. No SH mention for his visits. Perhaps the "tentative dates" are a good thing for us? Seems like he is really waiting to see how Marquette goes before looking around more.  Feels like it's really between us and X.

http://scouthoops.scout.com/story/1522545-carter-visits-xavier-to-visit-others?s=75

Traci Carter took his first of four college visits over the weekend.

Arguably the top available point guard left in 2015, Carter took in Xavier over the weekend and according to Carter's mentor Donnie Carr the trip went well.

"The winning tradition of Xavier basketball," Carr said when asked what stood out about the visit. "They have made the NCAA tournament eight of the last nine years."

"Traci would have a legit opportunity to make an immediate impact as a freshman. It's a great atmosphere for college basketball. They sell out every home game."

Next on Carter's visit list is Marquette. The four-star prospect will be in Milwaukee, Wisc. to visit with their staff on March 7th.

Carr also informed Scout that Carter has set "tentative dates" to visit Connecticut and Memphis.

Awaiting Image
Traci Carter
Life Center Academy / 6'0" / 165 lbs

PositionPG
    PG Rank18
    Interest9

Analysis
Coming off knee injury that held him out his final spring and summer on the AAU circuit, Carter has shown good speed, toughness and shooting ability. He's quick off the bounce, looks to create opportunities for his teammates and is a good passer. He'll need to cut down on his turnovers and value the ball more, but he's able to run a team. He's also an impressive long-range shooter that can heat up and make shots from mid-range too.

Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #152 on: March 02, 2015, 03:08:09 PM »
Can we pump the brakes on Carter a bit? My goodness, he's ranked 156 on average. Wojo lands at top 10 recruit and we're going to use Carter as the barometer? I'm sure he's a nice player, but he likely won't play much next year even if he does choose MU. How many top 100 recruits have made an impact at Marquette their freshman year? JJJ, Burton, Juan, Smith, Cohen, etc. haven't been able to. The only reason he's being highly recruited is because its late in the game and teams need to round out recruiting classes, or in Marquette's case have a second PG on the roster.

They're also hot on him because he's re-established himself after coming back from a big injury. Turns out when you sit out, your ranking takes a hit. Look, he's not a lottery pick, but he has a really good handle and decent 3 point game (mid range needs a bit of help). He's a pretty good prospect and Wojo sees that. And given our extreme need for a PG... it makes a lot of sense to get hot and heavy for him.  But it also makes it a tougher pickup this late in the game for Wojo.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #153 on: March 02, 2015, 04:05:10 PM »
Can we pump the brakes on Carter a bit? My goodness, he's ranked 156 on average.

I just wish we had a single coach who knew anything about what it means to be a high-major PG. Only then could our staff adequately judge PG prospects.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #154 on: March 02, 2015, 04:18:08 PM »
I just wish we had a single coach who knew anything about what it means to be a high-major PG. Only then could our staff adequately judge PG prospects.

Real shame that our HS star is in exile right now.  The coaching staff could probably use some advice on this one....

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #155 on: March 02, 2015, 04:24:14 PM »
Would you mind covering what you mean here? Is he sort of using UT as a safety school and waiting to see what Wojo and/or Carter does? Hopefully Wojo pulls out the stops this weekend. I'd really love to see this team fill out and get a consistent roster here.

Well, Dequon is not commenting about requests for his announcement date other than to say that he's excited about going D-1 in April.  And UT coaches continue to visit him regularly.  Further, every time he gets mentioned with #mubb he RTs.  None of us know anything (okay, only I know nothing) but that sure sounds like a kid patiently waiting.  Now he might be waiting for Gonzaga for all we know but....

So if you made me guess and bet $10, I'd bet he's Wojo's Plan B.  Heck it's possible he's coming anyway but Wojo doesn't want Carter to be upset and is purposefully leaving the door wide open for the HS Senior.  We could really use 2 PGs because as difficult as yesterday was to watch, Duane is much better at the 'Carlino #2'.

Earlier there was a comment about not getting too excited.  Agreed.  But no returning player on a team that has won 11 games has a guaranteed starting spot.  At the moment, I'd only pencil in 2.  Everyone else battles beginning this summer.

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #156 on: March 02, 2015, 04:28:59 PM »

I'd say his recruitment is awfully important to Wojo...so I consider landing him very important as well.
No Finish Line

nyg

• All American
« Reply #157 on: March 02, 2015, 04:41:40 PM »

Some valid points, sometimes it works out, here are some examples off top of head:

Stephen Curry  two star  recruit 2006
Bryce Cotton    zero star  recuit 2010
Trey Burke       two  star  recruit 2011

Maybe MU will get one of those type guards one day.......

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #158 on: March 02, 2015, 04:44:13 PM »
I agree with this, absolutely. Everybody knows we need a PG, but putting that on a 150 recruit frosh is un- realistic. While we all hope he could be the answer, a lot has to happen. First, can we get him, 2nd, as a frosh, what do we expect. Lots of people on this board do not think Duane is a PG, yet, he was much more highly rated as a recruit, and a PG, and has two years in the system already. But plenty of people are not sold on him.
Things do not look that great for next year at PG, either. Maybe the keys need to be placed in somebody else's hands.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #159 on: March 02, 2015, 04:44:23 PM »
Carter seems to have interest from a lot of high major schools.  He also passes the eye test in comparison with some of our recent point guards coming out of HS.  Also the rumors of the coaching staff thinking he could play right away definitely makes me believe he is more skilled than a ranking.  Plenty of very talented players fly under the radar for many reasons.  Here's to hoping we land Carter and both him and Anim end up being great contributors sooner rather than later!  Wojo's been around plenty of talent.  I trust coach & co know the way to go ;)

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #160 on: March 02, 2015, 05:45:54 PM »
Things do not look that great for next year at PG, either. Maybe the keys need to be placed in somebody else's hands.

I think this is an understatement. Wilson needs to be playing the 2.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #161 on: March 02, 2015, 06:20:06 PM »
I agree with this, absolutely. Everybody knows we need a PG, but putting that on a 150 recruit frosh is un- realistic. While we all hope he could be the answer, a lot has to happen. First, can we get him, 2nd, as a frosh, what do we expect. Lots of people on this board do not think Duane is a PG, yet, he was much more highly rated as a recruit, and a PG, and has two years in the system already. But plenty of people are not sold on him.

It was very obvious yesterday that Duane needs to be at the 2. Way too valuable a SG to make him handle the ball coming down court. Defense would be able to zero in on him and make him give up the ball, better he gets the ball from the PG and gets set for a shot as he did yesterday most of the game.
Goal is National Championship

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #162 on: March 02, 2015, 06:22:36 PM »

There's a sayin about desperate times...

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #163 on: March 02, 2015, 06:26:49 PM »
The reality is someone is going to play PG. If Duane is in the off-guard position, that's going to be Cheatham, Carter, or someone else not yet on the roster. People can pump the brakes all they like, but come November, someone will have to be playing there. And if Duane is at the 2, there is no unsigned freshman in the country I would rather have than Traci Carter. Not a single one. So I'm going to hope Wojo can reel him in, hopefully by this time next week. Would love it if he announced he was making a decision right after his visit. That would bode very well for us.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #164 on: March 02, 2015, 06:28:41 PM »

Ok here is the deal....MU is going to sign at least 1 point guard....and whoever it is will play......how do I know this? Because as things sit we have 1 guy on the roster that is even capable of playing point guard....and he has spent all year playing off the ball.

So since Carter is obviously Wojos top target we should all want to land him....because Wojo thinks he can help us....and we are going to need him or somebody else to play next year.....

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #165 on: March 02, 2015, 06:30:10 PM »
It was very obvious yesterday that Duane needs to be at the 2. Way too valuable a SG to make him handle the ball coming down court. Defense would be able to zero in on him and make him give up the ball, better he gets the ball from the PG and gets set for a shot as he did yesterday most of the game.
Maybe you are right. So where do Sandy, JJJ, Anim, Wally, Cheatham need to play? None of them can play the point either. So now we are back at having 6 or 7 wings/2G's and no PG. (or an untested one).

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #166 on: March 02, 2015, 06:39:38 PM »
Maybe you are right. So where do Sandy, JJJ, Anim, Wally, Cheatham need to play? None of them can play the point either. So now we are back at having 6 or 7 wings/2G's and no PG. (or an untested one).
Wojo has shown so far he likes a 3 G offense so there is room for another guard in the starting rotation, Duane will need rest, plus he might play some point, maybe limited mins in certain matchups. Players have to earn their minutes. Rather have too many than not enough.
Goal is National Championship

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #167 on: March 02, 2015, 07:20:16 PM »
Wojo has shown so far he likes a 3 G offense so there is room for another guard in the starting rotation, Duane will need rest, plus he might play some point, maybe limited mins in certain matchups. Players have to earn their minutes. Rather have too many than not enough.

I agree with that.  There's at least 100 minutes playing 'guard'.  We're worried about having too many players capable of seeing the floor?  Please.  Real teams have Frosh (or anyone) down the bench a ways. 

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #168 on: March 02, 2015, 07:24:44 PM »

Perhaps here's a way to look at it Willie.  A Carter/Wison PG tandem replaces 40 minutes of Derrick.  And I really like Derrick as a leader and team guy.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #169 on: March 02, 2015, 07:52:35 PM »
Glow--any chance of getting Glow Jr. and company to start the "we want Traci" chant?  Recruits love to hear their name.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #170 on: March 02, 2015, 08:22:49 PM »

It's been said on here that the staff believes Cheatham can play the point. But as the roster stands now, here's my expectation of the rotation, assuming we get Carter. If not, it will be another point subbed in for his name.

PG: Tra Carter, Duane Wilson, Haanif Cheatham
SG: Duane Wilson, Haanif Cheatham, Sacar Anim
SF: Jajuan Johnson, Sandy Cohen, Wally Ellenson
PF: Henry Ellenson, Steve Taylor, Wally Ellenson
C: Luke Fischer, Matt Heldt, Steve Taylor

That's 11 guys. Of those 11, 9 would be first or second off the bench at one of the 5 positions. Wally would likely be in an energy role and I'd guess would still get decent minutes at a few positions. Anim is the closest thing to an odd man out, but he'll have the chance to earn minutes at the 2/3. Regardless, there's no logjam of players. Everyone will have the chance to earn playing time.

I still think we could use a rebounder there, and if we added O'Field I could see him fighting for time at the 2/3 spots as well, but I don't think that's a bad thing at all. Make these kids earn their time. And if some of them have to sit for a year or two before they get their chance, so be it. That's how it should be.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

VegasWarrior77

• All American
« Reply #171 on: March 02, 2015, 09:15:10 PM »
Lots of warm weather schools... 

http://247sports.com/Bolt/Virginia-expected-to-watch-four-star-juco-35961575

Virginia expected to watch four-star juco

Virginia will watch four-star junior college prospect Ty Outlaw of Lee College on Tuesday according to Brad Winton of jucorecruiting.com.

Originally from Roxboro, North Carolina, Outlaw is an athletic 6-5, 200-pound small forward who has improved as a shooter in junior college. He is averaging 22 points per game and shooting 45 percent from behind the arc.

Georgia Tech recently watched him while South Florida is leading LSU in the Crystal Ball.
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #172 on: March 02, 2015, 10:01:52 PM »
It's been said on here that the staff believes Cheatham can play the point. But as the roster stands now, here's my expectation of the rotation, assuming we get Carter. If not, it will be another point subbed in for his name.

I've heard that there is no truth to the rumor about Cheatham playing point. Wojo and crew want two PGs, hopefully Carter and a transfer of some sort
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

onepost

• All American
« Reply #173 on: March 02, 2015, 10:46:50 PM »
nm
« Last Edit: March 04, 2015, 10:19:54 AM by onepostellenson »

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #174 on: March 03, 2015, 07:51:16 AM »
I agree with that.  There's at least 100 minutes playing 'guard'.  We're worried about having too many players capable of seeing the floor?  Please.  Real teams have Frosh (or anyone) down the bench a ways. 
Using 100 minutes at the wing as you have suggested will still create issues for some. You will need Duane on the floor for at least 30 plus minutes per game, and "somebody else" at PG for 15-20 minutes per game. That leaves about 50 minutes for Sandy, JJJ, Cheatham, Wally, Anim, (and possibly somebody else). Somebody will not be happy and will leave--so pick your poison there. I know, I know "it will sort itself out". Just don't like that type of "sorting out".

Any way you slice it, given recruits we have coming in, and guys returning, next year will still be an issue at PG. Putting the keys in the hands of a frosh is not very desirable, unless that frosh is a stud, which we will not have.
THis is not entirely Wojo's fault, as he inherited this mess. But he could have given Duane more of a look at PG this year than he did. He didn't, so it has now become his problem to figure out. I hope Carter works out, but we should not have our hopes very high. If the kid can shoot, make FT's and average about 7 and 5 as a frosh, and not turn it over, it will be a marked upgrade from the last two years.

feedback