[Today at 04:40:13 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by BrewCity83
[Today at 04:40:04 PM]

Where is Marquette? by Dr. Blackheart
[Today at 04:38:52 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Wired article on Net Neutrality: FCC Chief weighs in  (Read 16632 times)

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"

Death on call

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Wired article on Net Neutrality: FCC Chief weighs in
« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2015, 10:40:10 PM »
http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2015/02/net-neutrality-taxes-mike-lee-fact-check

Is it....interesting what commissioner Clyburn wants.  He is one of the three Democrats at the FCC and in the 11th hour he is asking Wheeler for changes.  Unprecedented.  He can read and he knows what a clusterfark this thing is.

Should be an interesting vote tomorrow....will Wheeler cave to one of his one party to pull out some of the nonsense that is in there?  Word is in our industry, he is.  Needs to in order to get Clyburn's vote.  If that means part of this monstrosity is toned down, all the better.

Either way, this will be litigated for the next 10 years.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2015, 05:35:13 PM »
Eric Schmidt from Google wanted changes, so Clyburn is addressing those changes.  LOL.

This is what cracks me up about this whole thing.  This concept that big powerful companies are positioned against this as if no big powerful companies are positioned for it.  Goes both ways.

My CEO made a great statement today.  I'm paraphrasing, but "the FCC is trying to use 1920's language that was created to monitor 1890's and 1900's railroads to a global network like the internet.  It is mindboggling".  And my CEO is absolutely for an open Internet, no throttling, none of that kind of stuff, but as he so adroitly stated, Washington will do what they think is right or who is paying them off to do what is right, and it will have many unintended consequences which will take years to undo.  Meanwhile, the lawyers will make millions.

MUsoxfan

• Team Captain
« Reply #30 on: February 25, 2015, 05:57:34 PM »
I'm paraphrasing, but "the FCC is trying to use 1920's language that was created to monitor 1890's and 1900's railroads to a global network like the internet.  It is mindboggling". 

The NRA uses 1770's language to justify private ownership of every modern weapon. You win some and you lose some

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #31 on: February 25, 2015, 06:30:22 PM »
Even liberal groups now concerned with power grab.  LOL.  Of course what these clowns want is still wrong, but at least they recognize the current ask is ridiculous.

https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2015/02/dear-fcc-rethink-those-vague-general-conduct-rules

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #32 on: February 25, 2015, 06:39:14 PM »
The NRA uses 1770's language to justify private ownership of every modern weapon. You win some and you lose some

It's called the United States Constitution and can be changed.  It has already been changed nearly 30 times.   Bad analogy amigo, really bad.

This is taking an "independent" agency...cough cough...and trying to force a structure around it that won't work.  A type 2 utility classification is almost incomprehensible they would go down that path.

I loved watching the Tumblr CEO try to defend it on CNBC....he totally doesn't get it and was literally left speechless at one point. It was painful to watch, but delicious at the same time.

What is this guy....29 years old?  It shows.  Out of his league.  Comparing it to the Bill of Rights.  OMG.

Worth the video interview.  From 1:10 to 1:45.....epic

http://video.cnbc.com/gallery/?video=3000356959

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #33 on: February 25, 2015, 07:10:01 PM »
Eric Schmidt from Google wanted changes, so Clyburn is addressing those changes.  LOL.

This is what cracks me up about this whole thing.  This concept that big powerful companies are positioned against this as if no big powerful companies are positioned for it.  Goes both ways.

My CEO made a great statement today.  I'm paraphrasing, but "the FCC is trying to use 1920's language that was created to monitor 1890's and 1900's railroads to a global network like the internet.  It is mindboggling".  And my CEO is absolutely for an open Internet, no throttling, none of that kind of stuff, but as he so adroitly stated, Washington will do what they think is right or who is paying them off to do what is right, and it will have many unintended consequences which will take years to undo.  Meanwhile, the lawyers will make millions.

How is that different from anything the government has done, ever?

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #34 on: February 25, 2015, 07:36:31 PM »
How is that different from anything the government has done, ever?

It's not....but we were promised so much more in 2008 and 2012...so much newness, so much transparency, so much a different path.......

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #35 on: February 25, 2015, 08:57:06 PM »
It's not....but we were promised so much more in 2008 and 2012...so much newness, so much transparency, so much a different path.......

So would you have had the same reaction to this legislation and posted the same things if this came up in 2006?

brandx

« Reply #36 on: February 26, 2015, 12:26:05 AM »
The FCC was created by Congress to regulate interstate and international communications by radio, television, wire, satellite and cable.

Net neutrality is the principle that ISPs should give consumers access to all legal content and applications on an equal basis, without favoring or blocking some sources. It also prohibits ISPs from charging content providers for speedier delivery of their content on "fast lanes" or deliberately slowing the content from content providers that may compete with ISPs.

That's the way it has always been. The GOP now wants to change the rules to benefit those whose who give them money. And idiots like Chicos blame Obama for the change when Obama wants the internet to stay the same.

I have yet to hear even one good reason to change the way the Internet has always operated.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #37 on: February 26, 2015, 11:56:42 AM »
Forward Outlook: Courts Set To Once Again Have Final Say On Net Neutrality Regulations.

With the consensus of analysts casting the FCC vote as a forgone conclusion, many reports suggest that before Congress has the chance to make progress on the issue, opponents of the pending rules will use lawsuits to block the new rules’ implementation. On the CBS Evening News, Don Dahler reported that after today’s vote, “Lobbyists will be trying to influence how the rules are interpreted, and opponents are expected to go to court to overturn the new rules.”
        Likewise, The Hill (Hattem, Trujillo) reported that the FCC vote will “set...in process a whole new battle in the courts...as industry groups file lawsuits,” and the Los Angeles Times (Puzzanghera) reports that on Wednesday, Republicans in Congress “warned that tough new regulations for online traffic...risk years of legal uncertainty.” Rep. Joe Barton (R-TX) is quoted as saying: “It is going to be tested in court and it’s going to fail in court.” The Times points out that “telecom companies twice before have won court orders blocking so-called net neutrality rules, largely on grounds that the FCC had overstepped its authority,” and have “vowed to sue again.” In an editorial, the Los Angeles Times notes the FCC has crafted the proposed regulations “because its last set was rejected in January 2014 by a federal appeals court.”
        In an article titled, “FCC’s Net Neutrality Rules Expected To Unleash Court Challenges,” the Wall Street Journal (Hughes) reports that some Republicans believe the looming court battles will help them make their case that what is needed is legislation on the issue that would supersede the FCC regulations. Chairman Thune predicts that Democrats will “realize what a disaster this is” and “be a lot more anxious to work with us on a legislative solution after...the FCC issues their order.” The Journal reports that Sen. Claire McCaskill says she agrees that “it would be much preferable for us to hammer out a compromise here in Congress.” However, the Journal says other Democrats are confident that the new rules will be upheld by the courts, including Sen. Ed Markey, who is quoted as saying: “The FCC has established the strongest possible constitutional grounds for a court challenge, so I don’t think there’s a likelihood that it will be struck down.”

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #38 on: February 26, 2015, 12:25:44 PM »
The FCC was created by Congress to regulate interstate and international communications by radio, television, wire, satellite and cable.

Net neutrality is the principle that ISPs should give consumers access to all legal content and applications on an equal basis, without favoring or blocking some sources. It also prohibits ISPs from charging content providers for speedier delivery of their content on "fast lanes" or deliberately slowing the content from content providers that may compete with ISPs.

That's the way it has always been. The GOP now wants to change the rules to benefit those whose who give them money. And idiots like Chicos blame Obama for the change when Obama wants the internet to stay the same.

I have yet to hear even one good reason to change the way the Internet has always operated.

You ... I like you.
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

mreezybreezy

• Walk-On
« Reply #39 on: February 26, 2015, 03:42:12 PM »
Net Neutrality passes. Great line from Wheeler following:

“This is no more a plan to regulate the Internet than the First Amendment is a plan to regulate free speech."

We like our internet. Now we get to keep our internet.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #40 on: February 26, 2015, 06:01:10 PM »

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #41 on: February 26, 2015, 10:17:51 PM »
come on you guys...we need to wait until it's all out so we can read it to find out what's really in though-I have a toothache I have a toothache ;D
don't...don't don't don't don't

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #42 on: February 26, 2015, 10:30:03 PM »
come on you guys...we need to wait until it's all out so we can read it to find out what's really in though-I have a toothache I have a toothache ;D

We really need to wait 5-years before we can evaluate this properly.

brandx

« Reply #43 on: February 26, 2015, 10:53:50 PM »
We really need to wait 5-years before we can evaluate this properly.

And wait for the book so the other shoe will drop.

brandx

« Reply #44 on: February 26, 2015, 11:02:39 PM »
My favorite line of all:

“Any claims that Republicans have conceded or surrendered to the Obama administration’s power grab of the Internet through FCC action is a mischaracterization of our ongoing efforts,” said Senator John Thune, R-South Dakota, chairman of the Senate Commerce Committee, on Tuesday.

So, somehow, keeping the internet the way it has always been is a "power grab".

But.... as long as there are people that believe it, there will be people who say it.

JuniorCardigan

• Walk-On
« Reply #45 on: February 27, 2015, 12:54:59 AM »
Well I'm glad I got to read Mark Cuban's take on the subject. If there's one person out there who I trust on the ins and outs of how ISPs work, its certainly him

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #46 on: February 27, 2015, 05:29:41 AM »

why was my quote changed from I have a toothache I have a toothache to i have a toothache i have a toothache??  that's not hte way i put it in??  did I have a toothache become a word of the gutter?

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #47 on: February 27, 2015, 05:30:34 AM »
smething weird is going on ?-(

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #48 on: February 27, 2015, 05:33:09 AM »
i thought stuff like this only happened in cuba or russia

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #49 on: February 27, 2015, 08:18:43 AM »
why was my quote changed from I have a toothache I have a toothache to i have a toothache i have a toothache??  that's not hte way i put it in??  did I have a toothache become a word of the gutter?

I just thought you had a really bad toothache.