[Today at 06:37:13 AM]

Shaka's 2023-2024 Season Accomplishments by 1SE
[Today at 03:36:17 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by WeAreMarquette96
[April 17, 2024, 11:14:56 PM]

Maximilian Langenfeld by withoutbias
[April 17, 2024, 10:44:37 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Poll

McAdams Fired

Good decision by MU
Bad decision

Author Topic: Update on prof McAdams  (Read 158864 times)

mu-rara

• All American
Re: Update on prof McAdams
« Reply #525 on: March 02, 2015, 08:31:36 PM »
If you look back earlier in the thread, that is the group I predicted might come on board with McAdams in a lawsuit. It is just conjecture on my part, but I wouldn't be surprised to see it happen.

So far, they have only targeted public universities, so I don't know if they wanna go down this road.

But for me, I don't take seriously anything that a Koch brothers funded organization has to say.
I'm like that with George Soros.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #526 on: March 03, 2015, 09:08:52 AM »

Thanks for quoting him.  I guess all the donations to liberal minded entities the Kochs do he doesn't take seriously, too? (they support Pro Choice, Gay Marriage, legalizing pot, etc).  LOL.  The difference is, they put economic policy (budget, spending, staying within our means) at the highest priority, more than social policies.  So if you are Pro Choice but want to spend like a drunken sailor vs a candidate that is pro Life but wants a balanced budget, the latter will be supported and not the former. 

He has bought into the boogeyman so much he doesn't even know.  Marching orders from DailyKos will do that.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 09:12:59 AM by ChicosBailBonds »

JuniorCardigan

• Walk-On
« Reply #527 on: March 03, 2015, 09:14:46 AM »

Well I know what article of clothing I'll be buying next

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #528 on: March 03, 2015, 09:23:48 AM »
As long as those other conservative professors play quiet, they are tolerated.  That's my inference, you may wish to disagree.   In my view, he was targeted for his views and how outspoken he was.  Several years ago he was told to pipe down, well before any of the latest stuff.  He should not have been asked to pipe down a few years ago.  That is simply a wrong request on so many levels.  

He wasn't told to pipe down because of his views.  He was told to stop mentioning the name of students in his blog.  Back on April 1, 2011, he specifically said this in his blog:

"We were willing to make only one concession: we assured the group that we would be more careful in the future about mentioning student’s names."

Yet he did it again in the Abatte case.  Firable offense?  I have no idea. Gonna wait to see the details.

Again, when you find a liberal professor who has engaged in similar activities and has been treated differently by Marquette, *then* feel free to call bias.  

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #529 on: March 03, 2015, 12:56:12 PM »
As long as those other conservative professors play quiet, they are tolerated.  That's my inference, you may wish to disagree.   In my view, he was targeted for his views and how outspoken he was.  Several years ago he was told to pipe down, well before any of the latest stuff.  He should not have been asked to pipe down a few years ago.  That is simply a wrong request on so many levels.   

In my view, they waited for him to do something they thought reached a certain level where they could make a case to oust him, and that's what they are sinking their teeth into now.  Whether it works or now, we shall see.  If the university is proven to be correct, so be it.  If the university is proven to be wrong, I hope they have to write a huge check to him and more importantly, end the chilling effect that comes with it.

Time will tell.

You're not entirely wrong, but I think inferring that somehow he was prosecuted for being conservative is a knee-jerk reaction.

We just don't know yet.

Warriorfish

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #530 on: March 03, 2015, 01:00:36 PM »

He wasn't told to pipe down because of his views.  He was told to stop mentioning the name of students in his blog.  Back on April 1, 2011, he specifically said this in his blog:

"We were willing to make only one concession: we assured the group that we would be more careful in the future about mentioning student’s names."

Yet he did it again in the Abatte case.  Firable offense?  I have no idea. Gonna wait to see the details.

Again, when you find a liberal professor who has engaged in similar activities and has been treated differently by Marquette, *then* feel free to call bias.  

This was also the sole teacher of a class, not just a TA who helps grading papers.  Can someone be fired for stating the name of a teacher?  We'll see.

BTW, there was no financial offer made to McAdams to entice him to go away quietly.

And Chicos is right.  There have been multiple attempts by liberal professors who lobbied to get McAdams fired, but there was never a President as political as this one to act on the complaints.  A verbal scolding is what he's gotten before (rightly or wrongly).

Does anyone think Wild tries to fire McAdams if this happened on his watch?
« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 01:02:54 PM by Warriorfish »

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #531 on: March 03, 2015, 01:16:03 PM »
This was also the sole teacher of a class, not just a TA who helps grading papers.  Can someone be fired for stating the name of a teacher?  We'll see.

BTW, there was no financial offer made to McAdams to entice him to go away quietly.

And Chicos is right.  There have been multiple attempts by liberal professors who lobbied to get McAdams fired, but there was never a President as political as this one to act on the complaints.  A verbal scolding is what he's gotten before (rightly or wrongly).

The TA is first and foremost a student.  TA'ing is part of their education as a graduate student.  So he did not name a teacher, he named a student.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #532 on: March 03, 2015, 01:22:17 PM »

Not applicable.

Being disliked by some liberal co-workers isn't what got McAdams fired.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #533 on: March 03, 2015, 02:02:55 PM »
Not applicable.

Right.
McAdams didn't get (potentially) fired for being a conservative or even for voicing his conservative convictions.
He got (potentially) fired for the manner in which he expressed those convictions.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #534 on: March 03, 2015, 02:06:22 PM »
Right.
McAdams didn't get (potentially) fired for being a conservative or even for voicing his conservative convictions.
He got (potentially) fired for the manner in which he expressed those convictions.

Correct.

Now, some will insist that McAdams was a target because of his beliefs, but I think that's just a knee-jerk reaction.

If McAdams can show that he was singled out by MU and treated unfairly, then he'll likely receive a nice check. If he can't, well, then he'll have to find another gig.

brandx

« Reply #535 on: March 03, 2015, 04:25:41 PM »

As you are a conservative, I wouldn't respect you if you didn't feel that way.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 04:27:16 PM by brandx »

Blue Horseshoe

• Team Captain
« Reply #536 on: March 03, 2015, 10:20:25 PM »
Right.

He didn't get (potentially) fired for voicing his convictions...but was fired for writing them on a personal blog?

brandx

« Reply #537 on: March 04, 2015, 12:02:26 AM »
He didn't get (potentially) fired for voicing his convictions...but was fired for writing them on a personal blog?

Only guessing, but I think he may have meant outing the TA.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #538 on: March 05, 2015, 10:47:28 AM »

Yes, in a manner of speaking.

As far as I'm aware, nobody ever said:

- You cannot have (insert view) of the world
- You cannot share (insert view) in your personal life
- You cannot challenge other professors or even MU using traditional academic means (published papers, articles, presentations, guest speaking, etc.)

What MU HAS said (in my opinion) is that you can't take a second hand account and run to your blog to publish names of students and TAs. It's not appropriate behavior for a senior professor. It's not researched, it's not peer reviewed, it's not even corroborated. I don't think it can simply be protected under "academic freedom". If he wants to complain to his dog about some crazy TA at MU, go ahead. Complain to his wife? Sure. Complain to his bartender? Great. But, publishing it on a public blog isn't appropriate behavior.

Now, is he being singled out because generally, he's disliked? We'll see. If MU warned him in the past about such behavior, and he continued to do it, then he likely doesn't have much a of a case. If MU was vague in the past, or have treated other staff members differently, then he has a case.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #539 on: March 05, 2015, 11:26:35 AM »

It's an opinion, I can call it a bias right now all day long until the cows come home if I wish.  That is my feeling on the matter.  If I read your own quote you provided, it says "will be more careful in the future about mentioning student's names".  I guess I don't see where that says he will stop using student's names, but rather be more careful about it.  More judicious, etc.  Feel free to disagree.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #540 on: March 05, 2015, 11:28:34 AM »
Not applicable.

Not applicable?  Sorry, VERY applicable.   A witch hunt is all this is.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #541 on: March 05, 2015, 11:30:18 AM »
The TA is first and foremost a student.  TA'ing is part of their education as a graduate student.  So he did not name a teacher, he named a student.

Are students paid a check to be students?  That will be part of the argument.  She was a TA, which is a role as a student AND teacher, for which she may be compensated in some fashion. 

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #542 on: March 05, 2015, 11:38:59 AM »
Not applicable?  Sorry, VERY applicable.   A witch hunt is all this is.

"The cops shot him because he's black!"

"MU fired him because he's conservative!"

Maybe just wait until we hear more actual facts? From what I have seen so far, it doesn't look like a witch hunt... but I've been wrong before.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #543 on: March 05, 2015, 01:26:35 PM »
Are students paid a check to be students?  That will be part of the argument.  She was a TA, which is a role as a student AND teacher, for which she may be compensated in some fashion. 

Depends on the student.  I received a check for every level of my education.

Blue Horseshoe

• Team Captain
« Reply #544 on: March 05, 2015, 05:19:48 PM »
What MU HAS said (in my opinion) is that you can't take a second hand account and run to your blog to publish names of students and TAs. It's not appropriate behavior for a senior professor. It's not researched, it's not peer reviewed, it's not even corroborated. I don't think it can simply be protected under "academic freedom". If he wants to complain to his dog about some crazy TA at MU, go ahead. Complain to his wife? Sure. Complain to his bartender? Great. But, publishing it on a public blog isn't appropriate behavior.

Marquette has a wishy washy history in this regard. McAdams blog has published the names of students before. According to his documentation, that has NOT been an issue in the past.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #545 on: March 05, 2015, 05:26:45 PM »
Marquette has a wishy washy history in this regard. McAdams blog has published the names of students before. According to his documentation, that has NOT been an issue in the past.

Right, according to HIS documentation. He's going to present only what helps his case. We all would.

If he's right, he's going to win a court case and get a nice check.

If MU has a file full of written warnings with the consequences clearly spelled out, he's f*cked.

Blue Horseshoe

• Team Captain
« Reply #546 on: March 05, 2015, 05:29:53 PM »
Right, according to HIS documentation. He's going to present only what helps his case. We all would.

If he's right, he's going to win a court case and get a nice check.

If MU has a file full of written warnings with the consequences clearly spelled out, he's f*cked.

Again, just because MU writes to McAdams, it does not mean McAdams is in the wrong. Quantity does not matter.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #547 on: March 05, 2015, 05:34:47 PM »
Again, just because MU writes to McAdams, it does not mean McAdams is in the wrong. Quantity does not matter.

If those writings document clear violation of University rules, the occurrences of which McAdams has not disputed, it certainly does.
Have some patience, FFS.

Blue Horseshoe

• Team Captain
« Reply #548 on: March 05, 2015, 05:38:19 PM »
If those writings document clear violation of University rules, the occurrences of which McAdams has not disputed, it certainly does.

From what I have read, it is Marquette habitually over stepping its authority.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #549 on: March 05, 2015, 05:53:00 PM »

I'm not trying to be a dick, but I have no idea what you are trying to say.

feedback