collapse

* Recent Posts

2024 Coaching Carousel by The Lens
[Today at 05:12:28 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Poll

McAdams Fired

Good decision by MU
Bad decision

Author Topic: Update on prof McAdams  (Read 158243 times)

Sir Lawrence

• All American
Re: Update on prof McAdams
« Reply #500 on: February 27, 2015, 09:31:35 AM »
Ludum habemus.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #501 on: February 27, 2015, 09:34:59 AM »
Misses the point entirely, but whatever it takes...

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #502 on: February 27, 2015, 09:37:55 AM »
The conservative NCR weighs in:

http://www.ncregister.com/daily-news/defending-catholic-teaching-lands-marquette-professor-in-limbo/

Thank you for sharing.  I thought they were just called the NCR by the way.

Moving forward, I will now insert "The liberal NY Times" and the "liberal Washington Post" and the "liberal LA Times"

;)

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #503 on: February 27, 2015, 09:39:56 AM »
In my opinion it has a lot to do with the issue at hand and I'm not alone.  It's an opinion, but I believe he was targeted because of his beliefs.  

I think he was targeted because of his entirely preventable actions.  There are other conservative professors on Marquette's campus that manage to exist, mostly because they don't make repeated poor decisions about how they relate to people.  

But when people like you always play the victim, you tend to see victims everywhere.

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #504 on: February 27, 2015, 09:44:54 AM »
Thank you for sharing.  I thought they were just called the NCR by the way.

Moving forward, I will now insert "The liberal NY Times" and the "liberal Washington Post" and the "liberal LA Times"

;)

Catholic periodicals are a genre distinct from the "mainstream" media.  Within that subset, NCR is certainly on the conservative side of the scale.  But I understand your point.

In other news, the Rev. Theodore M. Hesburgh, C.S.C., died late Thursday at Holy Cross House on the campus of his beloved University of Notre Dame.
Ludum habemus.

brandx

« Reply #505 on: February 27, 2015, 10:22:39 AM »
The conservative NCR weighs in:

http://www.ncregister.com/daily-news/defending-catholic-teaching-lands-marquette-professor-in-limbo/

Considering the title of the article is a lie... no thanks, I won't waste my time.

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #506 on: February 27, 2015, 10:35:19 AM »

In other news, the Rev. Theodore M. Hesburgh, C.S.C., died late Thursday at Holy Cross House on the campus of his beloved University of Notre Dame.
Not sure I should go here, but

I thought more about it.  I'll wait a few days.

brandx

« Reply #507 on: February 27, 2015, 12:16:45 PM »
Not sure I should go here, but

I thought more about it.  I'll wait a few days.

He won't be any more/less offended if you wait a couple days.

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #508 on: February 27, 2015, 12:46:18 PM »
He won't be any more/less offended if you wait a couple days.
  OK.  It is ND.

Are any of Fr. Hesburgh's sons still refereeing NCAA hoops?  Always seemed to be one of them doing MU / ND games in the '80's.

Warriorfish

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #509 on: February 27, 2015, 04:28:18 PM »
Have a few good contacts at MU.

The hearings start next week.

The person really driving this is Lovell.  He is VERY political/partisan, much more so than people realize, and wants McAdams gone more than anyone.  MU is going to take a really hard Left turn.  Where Fr Wild would try and play peacemaker, Lovell wants a war.

Donations have definitely taken a hit.

This is going to be fascinating to watch.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #510 on: February 27, 2015, 04:36:47 PM »

The person really driving this is Lovell.  He is VERY political/partisan, much more so than people realize, and wants McAdams gone more than anyone.  MU is going to take a really hard Left turn.  Where Fr Wild would try and play peacemaker, Lovell wants a war.

And we can really trust the word of a guy who never posted here before. 
Have some patience, FFS.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #511 on: February 27, 2015, 04:40:18 PM »

The person really driving this is Lovell.  He is VERY political/partisan, much more so than people realize, and wants McAdams gone more than anyone.  MU is going to take a really hard Left turn.  Where Fr Wild would try and play peacemaker, Lovell wants a war.

Calm down Pilarz

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #512 on: February 27, 2015, 04:41:36 PM »

And welcome Dr. McAdams!!!

Warriorfish

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #513 on: February 27, 2015, 05:38:47 PM »

Everyone has a first post.  But, no, you don't have to trust me if you don't want.  Things heat up next week.

This case was all anyone wanted to talk about today before and after the Vos/Barca debate at MU.

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #514 on: February 27, 2015, 05:52:52 PM »

To be sure, there have been some good one-hitter-quitters in the past.  Off the top of my head, Richard Shaw had good info on Shaka Smart, GoldenBoy had good info on Vander Blue leaving early for the draft.

Of course, there's been trolls here, too.

brandx

« Reply #515 on: February 27, 2015, 08:42:14 PM »

Aren't we the elitist?

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #516 on: February 27, 2015, 08:46:27 PM »
Aren't we the elitist?

What does saying you wouldn't believe something a complete stranger tells you have to do with being elitist?

I suppose you act on stock tips from random people on the street.
Have some patience, FFS.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #517 on: February 27, 2015, 09:38:16 PM »

I suppose you act on stock tips from random people on the street.

Death on call

Bo Ryan's Massage Therapist

• Team Captain
« Reply #518 on: March 01, 2015, 07:03:58 PM »
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned this... Guess who the advisor is to the student who audiotaped the TA??? That's right... McAdams.  And I hear if you listen to the uncut audio it pretty clearly appears to be a setup.  Yet, I'm sure McAdams would never orchestrate something like this to further his political agenda.  The hearings should be interesting.   ;)

Personally I think that student who did the audiotape should be named given what happened to the TA because what goes around comes around.  Hope he enjoys all the emails
“If a player leaves Marquette and doesn’t have some of my blood in him, then I don’t think I’ve done a good job.”  Al McGuire

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #519 on: March 01, 2015, 07:07:55 PM »
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned this... Guess who the advisor is to the student who audiotaped the TA??? That's right... McAdams.  And I hear if you listen to the uncut audio it pretty clearly appears to be a setup.  Yet, I'm sure McAdams would never orchestrate something like this to further his political agenda.  The hearings should be interesting.   ;)

Personally I think that student who did the audiotape should be named given what happened to the TA. 

It was mentioned in the article linked above.  That's quite a leap you are stating to say he orchestrated it.   I interpret the article to imply the student taped on his own, then took it to McAdams.

brandx

« Reply #520 on: March 01, 2015, 11:19:15 PM »
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned this... Guess who the advisor is to the student who audiotaped the TA??? That's right... McAdams.  And I hear if you listen to the uncut audio it pretty clearly appears to be a setup.  Yet, I'm sure McAdams would never orchestrate something like this to further his political agenda.  The hearings should be interesting.   ;)

Personally I think that student who did the audiotape should be named given what happened to the TA because what goes around comes around.  Hope he enjoys all the emails

Hence the firing for what appears to be just a reprimand issue?

It is interesting though that he named the TA - but not the student. It's not like he worried about crossing any lines that shouldn't be crossed.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #521 on: March 02, 2015, 12:36:44 PM »
The Foundation for Individual Rights in Education came out with its lists for 10 worst colleges for free speech.
The McAdams brouhaha landed MU on the list.
At least we're in good company with Georgetown.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/greg-lukianoff/10-worst-for-free-speech_b_6769564.html

WarriorInNYC

• All American
« Reply #522 on: March 02, 2015, 03:48:18 PM »

I think he was targeted because of his entirely preventable actions.  There are other conservative professors on Marquette's campus that manage to exist, mostly because they don't make repeated poor decisions about how they relate to people.  

But when people like you always play the victim, you tend to see victims everywhere.

This.  I had a tax professor for 2 different courses who was very conservative and had absolutely no issue with telling the whole class about it every day.  I personally didn't mind because alot of what he said I agreed with, but I'm sure there were several people who felt uncomfortable about it or did not agree. 

Could this be targeting someone because of their beliefs?  Sure, but I really do not see it.  You just cannot do what McAdams did.  Period.

brandx

« Reply #523 on: March 02, 2015, 07:52:24 PM »
The Foundation for Individual Rights in Education came out with its lists for 10 worst colleges for free speech.
The McAdams brouhaha landed MU on the list.
At least we're in good company with Georgetown.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/greg-lukianoff/10-worst-for-free-speech_b_6769564.html

If you look back earlier in the thread, that is the group I predicted might come on board with McAdams in a lawsuit. It is just conjecture on my part, but I wouldn't be surprised to see it happen.

So far, they have only targeted public universities, so I don't know if they wanna go down this road.

But for me, I don't take seriously anything that a Koch brothers funded organization has to say.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #524 on: March 02, 2015, 08:23:24 PM »

As long as those other conservative professors play quiet, they are tolerated.  That's my inference, you may wish to disagree.   In my view, he was targeted for his views and how outspoken he was.  Several years ago he was told to pipe down, well before any of the latest stuff.  He should not have been asked to pipe down a few years ago.  That is simply a wrong request on so many levels.   

In my view, they waited for him to do something they thought reached a certain level where they could make a case to oust him, and that's what they are sinking their teeth into now.  Whether it works or now, we shall see.  If the university is proven to be correct, so be it.  If the university is proven to be wrong, I hope they have to write a huge check to him and more importantly, end the chilling effect that comes with it.

Time will tell.