Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 12:10:57 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Marquette gambled ...  (Read 30592 times)

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
Re: Marquette gambled ...
« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2015, 12:39:28 PM »
Very much in tact.....why?   I said yesterday, last week, the month before, when he was hired....we'll know in 4 to 5 years.  Nothing has changed.

We're you always a cranky old man? I'm wondering if this is what I have to look forward to in life.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2015, 12:39:59 PM »
Great...another one  ::)

So far we don't know what we have. Wojo clearly needs to improve game management, especially in crunch time, but he's working with a roster short on quality and quantity. He's recruiting thus far at a higher level than any coach at Marquette since Al. With only one year to go on, though, it remains to be seen if he will be able to maintain that.

We'll know a lot more in years 2 and 3 when he has a full roster of primarily his own players. We'll probably be able to make a fair judgment in years 4 and 5 when he has a full cycle of his own players.

Any coach would have been a gamble. Smart, Howland, Martin, all of them had pros and cons to their resume. I'm not ready to throw the baby out with the bathwater just yet.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2015, 12:48:57 PM »
We're you always a cranky old man? I'm wondering if this is what I have to look forward to in life.

How is this cranky?  LOL

Seriously, I just don't think we will truly know what we have from any coach until he gets his own recruits in and they matriculate through.  Not sure how you link cranky with that.

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2015, 12:58:20 PM »
Considering the inconsistent track record of Duke assistants (see list shown below) Marquette gambled on an assistant with no experience as a head coach. Under Wojo's leadership Marquette basketball is now in complete turmoil! I suppose you could say that "you've got to know when to hold 'em and know when to fold 'em" and it is now time to send Wojo back to Duke and hire an experienced basketball coach!

List of former Duke assistant coaches.

Chris Collins (Northwestern Head Coach)
Collins first year (2013-2014) at Northwestern was less than stellar with a conference record of 6-12 and an overall record of 14-19. This year Northwestern is 1-7 in conference play and have an overall record of 10-11.

Mike Brey (Notre Dame Head Coach)
Brey is the most successful former assistant of Coach K, winning over 375 games in his time as a head coach at Delaware and Notre Dame. The three-time Big East Coach of the Year has the Irish back in the hunt for a conference title this season. But despite Brey’s sparkling winning percentage, he’s only been to the Sweet 16 once in 17 seasons as a head coach.

Tommy Amaker (Harvard Head Coach)
Amaker was fired at Michigan in 2007 and is now toiling in the obscurity of the Ivy League.

Johnny Dawkins (Stanford Head Coach)
In 2008, he was given the head coaching job at Stanford, but Dawkins’ first four years were mediocre at best. Dawkins did win the 2012 NIT Tournament and finally made the 2014 NCAA Tournament and was eliminated in the Sweet Sixteen by Dyton. This year Stanford is 6-3 in conference play and have an overall record of 15-6.

Jeff Capel (Ex-Oklahoma Head Coach)
Capel lead VCU to 79 wins in four seasons. After riding Blake Griffin to the 2009 Elite Eight, Capel’s Oklahoma teams nosedived with two straight losing seasons. Capel has come back to Coach K, tail tucked between his legs, and is currently an assistant coach for the Blue Devils.

Quin Snyder (Ex-Missouri Head Coach)
Snyder then accepted the head coaching position at the University of Missouri, and led the Tigers to four consecutive NCAA Tournaments, including one Elite Eight appearance. After two NIT appearances followed, Snyder was axed in Columbia. He’s now a long way from home as an assistant for Russia’s CSKA Moscow.

Robert Brickey (Ex-Shaw Head Coach)
Brickey’s only head coaching job came in DII at Shaw University, where he only lasted three seasons. Brickey is currently the Director of Basketball at Hoops City U, a youth basketball program.

Mike Dement (Ex-UNC-Greensboro Head Coach)
Demant coach at Cornell, SMU and UNCG, not exactly blue blood program. Dement made the NCAA tournament once at Cornell but has resigned his past two head coaching positions at SMU and UNCG midseason, the latter coming in December of 2011.

David Henderson (Ex-Delaware Head Coach)
Henderson coached under Krzyzewski between 1998-2000, when he was tapped to be the University of Delaware’s head coach. In 2006 Henderson was fired after Delaware posted a 9-21 record. He hasn’t resurfaced in college basketball since.

Tim O’Toole (Ex-Fairfield Head Coach)
After one season as a Seton Hall assistant, O’Toole took over for his alma mater, Fairfield, as the program’s head coach. In eight years, O’Toole could only muster one NIT appearance and was out the door. He’s currently the director of basketball operations for Syracuse.

Slither back to a Vadger fan site, pinhead.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2015, 12:58:46 PM »
Very much in tact.....why?   I said yesterday, last week, the month before, when he was hired....we'll know in 4 to 5 years.  Nothing has changed.

That dart wasn't aimed at you, Jams

Death on call

NotBuzzWilliams

• Starter
« Reply #30 on: February 01, 2015, 01:07:36 PM »
Ah yes, hire an experienced head coach.  Whole lot of good ones just hanging around waiting by the phone...

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #31 on: February 01, 2015, 01:12:12 PM »
Ah yes, hire an experienced head coach.  Whole lot of good ones just hanging around waiting by the phone...

KO and Ben are ;)

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #32 on: February 01, 2015, 01:13:03 PM »
Back to the coop Chicken Little!  Halfway through Wojo's first year is no time to think panic.
I adhere to the 5 year time frame and believe we'll look back at this post and scoff again.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #33 on: February 01, 2015, 01:13:58 PM »
KO and Ben are ;)

KO was never going to be brought back, and after Ben's adventures at UCLA, I'd pass. Got results, but burned down all the bridges along the way.

jakeec

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #34 on: February 01, 2015, 01:15:52 PM »
Don't you guys feel this team with this talent should be a NIT team at least?  I was impressed early on with Wojo's move from man to man to zone.  That doesn't seem to be working as well in the past as the players seemed to play harder for Williams.

connie

• All American
« Reply #35 on: February 01, 2015, 01:18:51 PM »
Don't you guys feel this team with this talent should be a NIT team at least?  I was impressed early on with Wojo's move from man to man to zone.  That doesn't seem to be working as well in the past as the players seemed to play harder for Williams.
No.  I assume you are all over Tony Bennet's a$$ after he blew one yesterday as well?
"Let's be careful out there."  Phil Esterhaus

MilWarrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #36 on: February 01, 2015, 01:27:43 PM »
Yeah - last year's team played really hard for Buzz....

It's obvious you're a Badger fan that doesn't watch MU games. MU plays ten times harder than last year's team. It's not an effort issue. Is it that hard to understand that there are transition years between coaches who have completely different styles? Is it that hard to understand that we only have 3 players on our current team that have ever played significant, meaningful college basketball minutes? And only 2 were on the team last year? We lost 6 experienced players from a team that couldn't make the NIT. How do the preceding facts lead you to believe an NIT bid should be expected?

Enjoy the Badgers' year - good for you. But don't get too comfortable. Especially with Wojo grabbing all of the players that Bo used to not even have to try to recruit.

source?

• All American
« Reply #37 on: February 01, 2015, 01:48:03 PM »
So I woke up with a massive hangover. Turns out Milwaukee isn't as big as it seems. I visited 4 bars 3 miles apart and ran into people I knew at all of them. Pretty sure I ate an entire pizza by myself. I am not ashamed of that. Vague memory of a one mile zombie march through the snow. I figured this post was as germane to a Marquette board as some of the posts in this thread since I wore my MU hat.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Marquette gambled ...u
« Reply #38 on: February 01, 2015, 01:56:03 PM »
That dart wasn't aimed at you, Jams

Then the quote training needs improving.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #39 on: February 01, 2015, 02:00:36 PM »

My biggest enjoyment this year is going to be everyone picking Becky to the Final Four and they burn out in the Round of 32 or Sweet 16.  For the record, last year's Final Four run was not a surprise to me, but no sneaking up this year.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #40 on: February 01, 2015, 02:03:16 PM »

Maybe you need to get that there is not as much "talent" there as you think. I don't give a sh## what their ranking was coming out of HS. Here is the talent as I see it, Carlino, Duane Wilson and Sandy Cohen. Luke will be fine next season. STR just is not panning out and JJJ is still trying to figure it out. JA is a sixth man on most teams. So, that is the "talent"

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #41 on: February 01, 2015, 02:13:49 PM »
Considering the inconsistent track record of Duke assistants (see list shown below) Marquette gambled on an assistant with no experience as a head coach. Under Wojo's leadership Marquette basketball is now in complete turmoil! I suppose you could say that "you've got to know when to hold 'em and know when to fold 'em" and it is now time to send Wojo back to Duke and hire an experienced basketball coach!

List of former Duke assistant coaches.

Chris Collins (Northwestern Head Coach)
Collins first year (2013-2014) at Northwestern was less than stellar with a conference record of 6-12 and an overall record of 14-19. This year Northwestern is 1-7 in conference play and have an overall record of 10-11.

Mike Brey (Notre Dame Head Coach)
Brey is the most successful former assistant of Coach K, winning over 375 games in his time as a head coach at Delaware and Notre Dame. The three-time Big East Coach of the Year has the Irish back in the hunt for a conference title this season. But despite Brey’s sparkling winning percentage, he’s only been to the Sweet 16 once in 17 seasons as a head coach.

Tommy Amaker (Harvard Head Coach)
Amaker was fired at Michigan in 2007 and is now toiling in the obscurity of the Ivy League.

Johnny Dawkins (Stanford Head Coach)
In 2008, he was given the head coaching job at Stanford, but Dawkins’ first four years were mediocre at best. Dawkins did win the 2012 NIT Tournament and finally made the 2014 NCAA Tournament and was eliminated in the Sweet Sixteen by Dyton. This year Stanford is 6-3 in conference play and have an overall record of 15-6.

Jeff Capel (Ex-Oklahoma Head Coach)
Capel lead VCU to 79 wins in four seasons. After riding Blake Griffin to the 2009 Elite Eight, Capel’s Oklahoma teams nosedived with two straight losing seasons. Capel has come back to Coach K, tail tucked between his legs, and is currently an assistant coach for the Blue Devils.

Quin Snyder (Ex-Missouri Head Coach)
Snyder then accepted the head coaching position at the University of Missouri, and led the Tigers to four consecutive NCAA Tournaments, including one Elite Eight appearance. After two NIT appearances followed, Snyder was axed in Columbia. He’s now a long way from home as an assistant for Russia’s CSKA Moscow.

Robert Brickey (Ex-Shaw Head Coach)
Brickey’s only head coaching job came in DII at Shaw University, where he only lasted three seasons. Brickey is currently the Director of Basketball at Hoops City U, a youth basketball program.

Mike Dement (Ex-UNC-Greensboro Head Coach)
Demant coach at Cornell, SMU and UNCG, not exactly blue blood program. Dement made the NCAA tournament once at Cornell but has resigned his past two head coaching positions at SMU and UNCG midseason, the latter coming in December of 2011.

David Henderson (Ex-Delaware Head Coach)
Henderson coached under Krzyzewski between 1998-2000, when he was tapped to be the University of Delaware’s head coach. In 2006 Henderson was fired after Delaware posted a 9-21 record. He hasn’t resurfaced in college basketball since.

Tim O’Toole (Ex-Fairfield Head Coach)
After one season as a Seton Hall assistant, O’Toole took over for his alma mater, Fairfield, as the program’s head coach. In eight years, O’Toole could only muster one NIT appearance and was out the door. He’s currently the director of basketball operations for Syracuse.

This just an ill informed and inflammatory piece of garbage.  I mean, to my understanding Robert Brickey has darn near performed miracles with the Hoops City U program.  I heard that was a train wreck before he came on board.  Get your facts straight buddy.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #42 on: February 01, 2015, 02:16:17 PM »

This team only has a high level of talent if you take HS recruiting rankings as gospel. By that standard, Luke is better than Kaminsky, Juan is better than Hayes, Steve is better than Dukan, and Dekker is the only guy on your team that would start for Marquette.

Reality is recruiting rankings only have so much value. This is not a talented team.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #43 on: February 01, 2015, 02:39:46 PM »
I love the whole "5-year plan" laid out by Wojo in his interview.  Newsflash - This program wasn't in nearly the shambles it was when Kevin O'Neill and Tom Crean took over.

Everyone has a major hard on over Wojo for basically one reason at this point:  Henry Ellenson.  Heldt, Cheatham, and Nick N are simply guys in the 75-100 ranking range - which is the level we'd been recruiting at for 5 years under Buzz.

Wojo has personnel on this team that can be victorious - particularly so had Burton not bailed on him.  And it isn't Derrick's fault that Wojo has come to the conclusion that his clone needs to be on the floor for 35 minutes to apparently give the team its best chance to win.  The reality though, however, is much like last year - we don't win, and our team is having another historically bad year offensively.  Gee - I wonder what my be the primary cause?    Did Buzz all of a sudden just forget how to coach offense last year?  Buzz's team's ORatings:  12, 22, 21, 52, 25, 96, and now 109??

Wojo lost Burton, Mayo and Dawson.  Burton and Dawson were good attitude kids.  The team should have 10 guys on it.  Other teams keep beating us playing 7 and 8 players.  7 of our 8 players are ranked in the Top 52 in the Big East. 

And as for hating on the original poster - the pedigree of Coach K assistants, is NOT good.  Perhaps Wojo will be the exception to the rule.  I'm skeptical.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

tower912

• All American
« Reply #44 on: February 01, 2015, 02:40:53 PM »

No.  Current roster:  6'1, 6'2, 6'2, 6'4, 6'6, 6'6, 6'7, 6'11.    No returning scoring.  Only returning player who has ever played consistent major minutes is not a scorer.     Expecting a small, inexperienced team with no proven scoring to be an NIT team is still a stretch.   I thought the seniors basically phoned it in this year.   This year's seniors, though not nearly as talented, have exhibited total buy in and have left every ounce of energy on the floor.    This has trickled down to the underclassmen.    The whole team is giving their all, there just aren't enough horses.   If you watched the games, it would all be clear.  
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #45 on: February 01, 2015, 03:55:32 PM »
KO and Ben are ;)

Neither pass the sniff test
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #46 on: February 01, 2015, 08:16:14 PM »
You want to look at Chris Collins and Northwestern? Sure lets do it because as someone who watches Northwestern I will rip your theory to shreds.I see many similarities between Collins and Wojo. Both dont have their own guys in their program yet. Both teams are playing ridiculously close games in tough conferences and both could easily have 5-6 conference wins. Both teams are extremely young. Both are great recruiters. Obviously Henry for MU and for Northwestern and Collins Bryant Mcintosh is already a stud and once Vic Law gains some muscle, he will be a major factor too. Wait until Collins and Wojo have their guys. You can already see the transition at NU and I think you will start to see that transition at Marquette as well.

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #47 on: February 01, 2015, 08:23:18 PM »

And it isn't Derrick's fault that Wojo has come to the conclusion that his clone needs to be on the floor for 35 minutes to apparently give the team its best chance to win. 

How'd that work out for K having WoJo on the floor that long?
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #48 on: February 01, 2015, 08:30:44 PM »
Walk-on makes one post then leaves.

IGNORE
SS Marquette

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #49 on: February 01, 2015, 09:55:34 PM »
You want to look at Chris Collins and Northwestern? Sure lets do it because as someone who watches Northwestern I will rip your theory to shreds.I see many similarities between Collins and Wojo. Both dont have their own guys in their program yet. Both teams are playing ridiculously close games in tough conferences and both could easily have 5-6 conference wins. Both teams are extremely young. Both are great recruiters. Obviously Henry for MU and for Northwestern and Collins Bryant Mcintosh is already a stud and once Vic Law gains some muscle, he will be a major factor too. Wait until Collins and Wojo have their guys. You can already see the transition at NU and I think you will start to see that transition at Marquette as well.

Hi genius:  Was Northwestern coming off of Sweet 16, Sweet 16, Elite 8 and have 7 Top 100 kids in the program when Collins took over?
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

feedback