Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 12:10:57 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Butler Box Score  (Read 9401 times)

tower912

• All American
Butler Box Score
« on: January 31, 2015, 04:53:59 PM »
http://scores.espn.go.com/ncb/boxscore?gameId=400588438

Caught a basement fire.   Missed the whole thing.    Late collapse?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

wadesworld

• All American
Re: Butler Box Score
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2015, 04:56:48 PM »

Yes. It was about what you'd imagine from this team. To a tee.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2015, 05:05:34 PM »

Yep.  This one hurt.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2015, 05:24:55 PM »

Definitely our most embarrassing melt down to date.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2015, 05:38:28 PM »

The last four minutes felt like a basement fire, so you really didn't miss anything.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2015, 10:37:50 PM »
Pulled a Packer
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2015, 10:54:41 PM »
Pulled a Packer
In a way it was very similar. We are up 10 with just over 4 minutes to go. It was quickly down to 5. Bulter missed one free throw the whole game and it essentially cost us the game. They rebounded the missed free throw and got fouled. Ended up getting three points on the possession instead of one if we rebound it or two if they do not miss miss in the first place. I think it was the next possesion where Butler got blocked twice and ended up with the ball again. Player scored and got fouled again turning 0 points into three or if we would of played poorer defense on first two shots they would of got 2 instead of three. After that a Butler player traveled on the way to the basket and kicked it out for a three point shot. I think that was the shot that sent the game into overtime. Essentially everything had to go right for Butler to tie the game and that was very much like the Packer game where everything ahd to go right for Seattle to pull that game out.

muhoops1

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2015, 11:13:37 PM »
Did anyone watch UVA vs Duke?  crap happens.  This team is mediocre, should we really be shocked?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2015, 05:35:49 AM »
Definitely our most embarrassing melt down to date.

I wasn't embarrassed yesterday.

Nor was I embarrassed by any earlier losses this season, nor by last season, nor by Buzz's lopsided NCAA tournament losses, nor by our FF loss to Kansas.

I wish we won yesterday, but I tend not to be embarrassed by things I have no control over.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Irishdawg

• Walk-On
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2015, 06:39:37 AM »
You guys shouldn't be embarrassed.  Your team gave one heck of an effort and deserved to win for pretty much the entire game yesterday.  You were the tougher team.  Sometimes, that's basketball.  Butler played way better at Georgetown and lost by 1. 

Wojo's a really good coach, and not just as a recruiter.  Good coaches recognize when they can't just run their system based on personnel, and he did that.  He adjusts Marquette's defense coming out of timeouts so opponent's coaches can't draw up effective plays unless they successfully guess what defense he's going to run.  Those aren't rocket-science level things to do, but you'd be surprised just how many "good" coaches don't do those things.  If you guys hit even half of the bunnies that were missed with a clear look at the rim, coaching might not even come into this discussion.

Better days are ahead for you Marquette.  My guess is that Butler will continue to go through cycles of good and bad seasons based on the experience of their roster, but with the talent that's coming in for Marquette next year and likely for years after, that's how you can get sustained success.  Good luck until we meet again.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2015, 06:41:06 AM »
To quote Charles Barkley in his early years, "I make $3 million dollars. I don't get embarassed."
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

mug644

• All American
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2015, 12:20:50 PM »
I wasn't embarrassed yesterday.

Nor was I embarrassed by any earlier losses this season, nor by last season, nor by Buzz's lopsided NCAA tournament losses, nor by our FF loss to Kansas.

I wish we won yesterday, but I tend not to be embarrassed by things I have no control over.

Good point, and I also tend to not get embarrassed by the performance of a team that I follow.

But, this conversation has me uncomfortably recalling that I took off my MU sweatshirt early in the second half of a game that MU was playing on April 5, 2003. I cannot deny that I was embarrassed that day.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2015, 12:51:24 PM »
Good point, and I also tend to not get embarrassed by the performance of a team that I follow.

But, this conversation has me uncomfortably recalling that I took off my MU sweatshirt early in the second half of a game that MU was playing on April 5, 2003. I cannot deny that I was embarrassed that day.

That is an embarrassment by you.  Your school gets to it's first Final Four in almost 30 years and may never get to one again and you bail......that's sad.  We went out that night on bourbon street and drank heavily, like fans do when their team loses.  But we were damn proud to have been in the Final Four and what the team had to do to get there the previous two weeks.

mug644

• All American
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2015, 12:57:20 PM »
That is an embarrassment by you.  Your school gets to it's first Final Four in almost 30 years and may never get to one again and you bail......that's sad.  We went out that night on bourbon street and drank heavily, like fans do when their team loses.  But we were damn proud to have been in the Final Four and what the team had to do to get there the previous two weeks.

Fair enough. I suppose I should've added that I was and remain as proud as you. It was a great run, and nothing could take it from the team or its fans. That said, it was an embarrassing performance; fortunately, I tend to not let such emotions linger for long, but I do recall that feeling.

barfolomew

• All American
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2015, 01:07:14 PM »

So what happened with your basement?
Or is "caught a basement fire" a euphemism that I'm not aware of?
Relationes Incrementum Victoria

wildbill sb

• Team Captain
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2015, 01:29:07 PM »

Could be wrong, but I believe 77's a firefighter.
“I’m working as hard as I can to get my life and my cash to run out at the same time. If I can just die after lunch Tuesday, everything will be perfect.”  - Doug Sanders, professional golfer

tower912

• All American
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2015, 02:27:09 PM »

There was a basement fire in my district.   My engine company  was first on the scene and participated in the extinguishment and ensuing clean up of a basement fire caused by an old dryer.   This happened just as the game was starting.   Ergo, I missed the game.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2015, 02:58:37 PM »
There was a basement fire in my district.   My engine company  was first on the scene and participated in the extinguishment and ensuing clean up of a basement fire caused by an old dryer.   This happened just as the game was starting.   Ergo, I missed the game.   
Your priorities seem a tad bit askew

tower912

• All American
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2015, 03:02:01 PM »
Your priorities seem a tad bit askew

My priorities are fine.   It is the citizenry who don't realize how important MU games are.    Bastages.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2015, 04:57:53 PM »
You guys shouldn't be embarrassed.  Your team gave one heck of an effort and deserved to win for pretty much the entire game yesterday.  You were the tougher team.  Sometimes, that's basketball.  Butler played way better at Georgetown and lost by 1. 

Wojo's a really good coach, and not just as a recruiter.  Good coaches recognize when they can't just run their system based on personnel, and he did that.  He adjusts Marquette's defense coming out of timeouts so opponent's coaches can't draw up effective plays unless they successfully guess what defense he's going to run.  Those aren't rocket-science level things to do, but you'd be surprised just how many "good" coaches don't do those things.  If you guys hit even half of the bunnies that were missed with a clear look at the rim, coaching might not even come into this discussion.

Better days are ahead for you Marquette.  My guess is that Butler will continue to go through cycles of good and bad seasons based on the experience of their roster, but with the talent that's coming in for Marquette next year and likely for years after, that's how you can get sustained success.  Good luck until we meet again.

Good post and thanks for stopping by.  You have a better understanding of where our program is than a number of posters on this board and you aren't even a fan of the program/team.  It's always nice to have a knowledgable fan of other programs come and give their thoughts on our program.  Hopefully your boys can represent the BE well in the NCAAs.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MU82

• All American
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2015, 03:49:19 PM »

Damn you! I hate Notre Dame because that's what I'm supposed to do, but I just wanna hug you, you big-hearted, common-sense-speaking supportive S.O.B.!!!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2015, 03:58:59 PM »
Damn you! I hate Notre Dame because that's what I'm supposed to do, but I just wanna hug you, you big-hearted, common-sense-speaking supportive S.O.B.!!!

Is he a ND fan?  I figured he was of Irish heritage but a Butler (Bull)dawg fan.

SaintPaulWarrior

• All American
« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2015, 04:10:14 PM »

Fellow firefighter here also, albeit a volunteer.  Father was a Chicago Fire Fighter.  Dryers and basement fires suck.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2015, 04:30:39 PM »
How 'bout dumpster fires?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2015, 04:47:20 PM »
Is he a ND fan?  I figured he was of Irish heritage but a Butler (Bull)dawg fan.

Let's not insult this gentleman and call him a Notre Dame fan!
« Last Edit: February 02, 2015, 04:53:44 PM by real chili 83 »

feedback