[April 19, 2024, 11:09:03 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by Scoop Snoop
[April 19, 2024, 09:34:36 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Nukem2
[April 19, 2024, 09:24:02 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[April 19, 2024, 08:17:02 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Buler Last Four Minutes  (Read 6234 times)

nyg

• All American
Buler Last Four Minutes
« on: January 31, 2015, 03:37:09 PM »
MU up 55-45

Butler makes a two, cuts it to eight.

Every single MU possession from that point on was milking the clock down to two/three seconds and having mainly Carlino chuck up a long jump shot.  The possessions:

-Carlino miss a three
-Carlino made a three (a bomb)
-Duane miss a long jumper
-Carlino miss a three
-Derrick miss a long jumper
-Derrick pass tp Carlino in corner, turnover.

That's three points in final four minutes. 
Some might say it was the offensive boards, being done by 19 to 10 and 48 to 33 overall.
Some might say they ran out of gas, Taylor didn't play at all after one and JJJ nothing late.

But the coach is the one who calls the plays and having Derrick dribble on top, watching the clock and waiting for Carlino to be open with seconds left, is just abit mind boggling.  They play scared the last four minutes and were hoping to just hold on.  Nothing inside to Fischer, just checkups at end of shot clock.

Some will say Wojo is not the one wearing the uniform, etc, so be it, but he and his staff manage the game and instruct them what to do.  Today, that management did not work.  Shame, because these kids need to win one of these some day.   

Lighthouse 84

• All American
Re: Buler Last Four Minutes
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2015, 03:39:54 PM »
WoJo went back to zone in that time also after a strong man to man showing. They shouldn't have let off the gas.
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2015, 03:41:51 PM »
MU up 55-45

Every single MU possession from that point on was milking the clock down to two/three seconds and having mainly Carlino chuck up a long jump shot.  The possessions:

-Carlino miss a three
-Carlino miss a three

Some might say it was the offensive boards, being done by 19 to 10 and 48 to 33 overall.
Some might say they ran out of gas, Taylor didn't play at all after one and JJJ nothing late.

But the coach is the one who calls the plays and having Derrick dribble on top, watching the clock and waiting for Carlino to be open with seconds left, is just abit mind boggling.  They play scared the last four minutes and were hoping to just hold on.  Nothing inside to Fischer, just checkups at end of shot clock.

Some will say Wojo is not the one wearing the uniform, etc, so be it, but he and his staff manage the game and instruct them what to do.  Today, that management did not work.  Shame, because these kids need to win one of these some day.   
Carlino also had a costly foul in there, and then had to play soft on D allowing his guy to score, also. Everybody within 100 miles knew that he was going to shoot down the stretch. That is where coaching comes in. Live by the Carlino/Die by the Carlino.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2015, 03:44:42 PM »
Lost cause this year, pure and simple.

Not the first time Wojo has gone way too conservative with a manageable lead. You have to attack the basket until the other guy screams and then jam it down his throat.

We don't, we lose.

Lost cause!!!!!

muhoops1

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2015, 03:59:26 PM »
We also missed about fiver or six "gimmes"....Duane missing the open layup, Cohen blowing two and Fischer on the 1st possession of the game.  Make 1 or 2 of those and they hold on in regulation.  Also, Butler hit some stupid shots in the last 4 min.

AirPunches

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2015, 04:05:11 PM »
Lost cause this year, pure and simple.

Not the first time Wojo has gone way too conservative with a manageable lead. You have to attack the basket until the other guy screams and then jam it down his throat.

We don't, we lose.

Lost cause!!!!!

Lost cause "this year" ? That's Bs. Right now it's just a lost cause with coaching like that. The team had the game won and in hand. A series of poor coaching decisions led to the loss. Led to many losses this year. Hopefully the coaching staff turns it around next year as well because they are as much to blame as the players for this one.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2015, 04:06:25 PM »
Lots of blame to go around, including the coaching staff.

But to expect a first-time head coach to be perfect in his first year in major D1? Higher expectations than I had.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2015, 04:11:30 PM »
MU up 55-45

-Carlino miss a three
-Carlino miss a three

On the live chat, we discussed (as best you can in a live chat) when up 8, that we couldn't go into the shell and throw up prayers at the end of the shot clock, which unfortunately is exactly what we did.  Only time that is acceptable strategy is if you have a dominant defense, and we don't have that.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

SaveOD238

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2015, 04:30:18 PM »
Lost cause "this year" ? That's Bs. Right now it's just a lost cause with coaching like that. The team had the game won and in hand. A series of poor coaching decisions led to the loss. Led to many losses this year. Hopefully the coaching staff turns it around next year as well because they are as much to blame as the players for this one.

I seem to remember one Brent Williams being utterly baffled when trying to hold a lead in his first few years (remember the Louisville collapse?) We also complained about Buzz refusing to "step on the throat."  But he got better! This is something every first time coach goes through.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2015, 04:43:26 PM »
Tired of the same old same old. Dribbling around for 20 plus seconds by Derrick, hoping Carlino can get open, then giving him the ball and watching him jack up an ill advised 3 deep in the shot clock with 3 guys on him and two of ours open.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

VegasWarrior77

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2015, 04:49:20 PM »
When we start winning next year it is going to taste that much sweeter!
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2015, 06:02:39 PM »
When we start winning next year it is going to taste that much sweeter!

It won't be next year. Not enough experience. We will be better, but still in full rebuild mode.

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2015, 09:32:18 PM »
I would be the first to defend Wojo, but our offense was unacceptable in the final four minutes of regulation.  Totally reminded me of Kevin O'Neill and his poor coaching in the beginning of his career.

Hopefully Wojo will learn something from this because we had awful play calling on the offensive side of the ball at the end of regulation.

VegasWarrior77

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2015, 09:36:41 PM »
Way to go Wes!
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein

MU82

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2015, 10:23:32 PM »
I hate when Wojo does that.

I also hated when Buzz did it, and Crean and O'Neill.

I know you don't want to take the first shot available 6 seconds into the shot clock, but I've never understood milking it down to the final seconds only to get a horrible shot.

Especially when the lead isn't that big and there is still a decent amount of time on the clock.

And double especially when you don't have 3-4 shotmakers who can come through in such situations.

I cringe when Derrick has the ball 30 feet away and the shot clock hits :05!

Our coach (and past coaches) isn't the only one to have his team play "prevent offense" this way, though.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

SaveOD238

• All American
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2015, 08:39:37 AM »
Way to go Wes!

NBA All Stars 2015: Marquette 2, Madison 0

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2015, 09:22:07 AM »
It was basically a group gag job, and nothing we haven't seen before. Went to the Patriot offense too soon (Taking the air out of the ball). It's gotta be in their heads by now. The tempo mistake is on the coach - not having people willing to take a shot is on the players.

feedback