'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

2024 Coaching Carousel by The Lens
[Today at 05:12:28 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: That one is on Wojo  (Read 17633 times)

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
That one is on Wojo
« on: January 31, 2015, 03:36:09 PM »
Going into your stall offense and throwing away your momentum, compounded by the fact that everyone in the building can see there is only one option while the other four players stand around, that's on the coach.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

muwarrior97

• All American
  • Team Whiny Fan
Re: That one is on Wojo
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2015, 04:17:51 PM »
McCarthy-esque?  ?-(
#RGV #ReturnTheWarriorMindset

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2015, 04:21:23 PM »
I think Wojo is going to become a great coach at Marquette, but I agree with you today.

After the national championship game, Al credited the victory in part to the fact that UNC had gained momentum early in the second half, then went into the four corners offense and lost it (in Al's words, "their sweat was drying").  We let our sweat dry today....

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2015, 04:43:43 PM »
I actually felt it was more on Holtmann. The technical he took turned things around. We didn't execute, but they really played inspired after that. Just another gut punch.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2015, 04:55:32 PM »
I agree with the OP regarding Wojo.  I think he is going to be good, but the "just give the ball to Carlino and hope he can hit a shot." isn't what I would call stunning offensive play calling.  Even the last play of regulation, I was hoping for something different, but you could tell it was going to be the exact same thing.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2015, 05:30:12 PM »
I agree with the OP regarding Wojo.  I think he is going to be good, but the "just give the ball to Carlino and hope he can hit a shot." isn't what I would call stunning offensive play calling.  Even the last play of regulation, I was hoping for something different, but you could tell it was going to be the exact same thing.

That last series with a full shot clock to work with(til the end of regulation) was the perfect time to use the triple team Matt draws and find Duane or Sandy wide open.

We didn't even remotely try it.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

Class71

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2015, 05:45:03 PM »
Wojo is a keeper. He has done wonders with this team. Whether or not the delay of game cost us the game can be debated. That this team players harder and continues to improve is without question. Can they make a run in the BE tournament? The next few games will give us a test of their consistency on the road. In any event, even in a loss they should have our respect. This team reflects the values that Wojo lives. That is special and will pay dividends down the road for the players and coaches on and off the court. Be patient folks MU is beginning to take the long road back.
⛵⛵⛵⛵⛵

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2015, 05:46:43 PM »
Wojo will be fine.  He's not there yet though. 

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2015, 06:09:15 PM »
That last series with a full shot clock to work with(til the end of regulation) was the perfect time to use the triple team Matt draws and find Duane or Sandy wide open.

We didn't even remotely try it.
And why is that. Coach allows the triple teamed Carlino to run that show.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2015, 07:11:38 PM »
Wojo will be fine.  He's not there yet though. 

Good grief, Wojo is not there yet? Come on. How about this, the team is just not that good. Period. We are not a good team. It's not depth, Butler played 8 guys. We just dont have the right pieces.

Everybody looks for someone to blame. It's not the players fault, they are what they are. Wojo is fine, he is working his tail off. He just does not have the players.

Wojo'sMojo

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2015, 07:20:31 PM »
Wojo is a keeper. He has done wonders with this team. Whether or not the delay of game cost us the game can be debated. That this team players harder and continues to improve is without question. Can they make a run in the BE tournament? The next few games will give us a test of their consistency on the road. In any event, even in a loss they should have our respect. This team reflects the values that Wojo lives. That is special and will pay dividends down the road for the players and coaches on and off the court. Be patient folks MU is beginning to take the long road back.

I like Wojo as much as the next guy, but to say he has done wonders with this team is a gross exaggeration.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2015, 08:10:00 PM »
I like Wojo as much as the next guy, but to say he has done wonders with this team is a gross exaggeration.

LOL. I'd say the wonders he's done are:  I wonder if a coach could do worse.  The good news for Wojo is the by default his team will stand a chance next year as he won't be married to Derrick for 33 minutes. Just because Wojo's team at Duke could win with Wojo being a Derrick caliber player - doesn't mean it can work when the talent around you isn't McDonalds All Amercans. Next season can't get here soon enough. Don't care who runs the PG for is - it won't get worse. Team will be fun to watch again.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

GoldenZebra

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2015, 08:27:11 PM »

No, its not even close. He has done decent for the players he has, he inherited a pretty crappy roster.

lab_warrior

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2015, 08:43:33 PM »
Good grief, Wojo is not there yet? Come on. How about this, the team is just not that good. Period. We are not a good team. It's not depth, Butler played 8 guys. We just dont have the right pieces.

Everybody looks for someone to blame. It's not the players fault, they are what they are. Wojo is fine, he is working his tail off. He just does not have the players.

+1

Awfully hard to make chicken salad out of chicken s***. 

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2015, 09:03:34 PM »

Think you are piling on the wrong guy and completely over reacting.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

MU82

• All American
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2015, 10:31:00 PM »
LOL. I'd say the wonders he's done are:  I wonder if a coach could do worse.  The good news for Wojo is the by default his team will stand a chance next year as he won't be married to Derrick for 33 minutes. Just because Wojo's team at Duke could win with Wojo being a Derrick caliber player - doesn't mean it can work when the talent around you isn't McDonalds All Amercans. Next season can't get here soon enough. Don't care who runs the PG for is - it won't get worse. Team will be fun to watch again.

You're a dope ... but you're our dope.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2015, 11:05:44 PM »
You're a dope ... but you're our dope.

Thanks 82. #wineveryday. #8strong. (but then lament and despair in post game pressers about fatigue being an issue at times.)

Hell next year might be #7strong at this rate along with 5 other scrubs whether walk ons or 2-3 star talent.

Trust the process. Umm. Okay?
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

Oregon Warrior

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2015, 11:36:33 PM »
I don't understand the "this team just doesn't have the talent" excuse.

Juan Anderson - 4 star top 100 player by rivals
Matt Carlino - 3 star NR player by rivals
Derrick Wilson - 3 star NR player by rivals
Steve Taylor - 3 star top 150 player by rivals
Duane Wilson - 4 star top 100 player by rivals
JuJuan Johnson - 4 star top 100 player by rivals
Luke Fischer - 4 star top 100 player by rivals
Sandy Cohen - 4 star top 100 player by rivals

I realize some of these guys were overrated coming out of high school but compare that list with Butler's or Seton Hall's recruits. Compare it with DePaul and Xavier. Maybe I'm just frustrated after tonight's loss, but I think this team should be better than they are and I put that on the coach. How many times do we end up chucking up a shot as the shot clock expires. We have no offense to speak of except give the ball to Carlino and hope he makes it. I'm disappointed with the coaching this far.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2015, 11:47:25 PM »
I don't understand the "this team just doesn't have the talent" excuse.

Juan Anderson - 4 star top 100 player by rivals
Matt Carlino - 3 star NR player by rivals
Derrick Wilson - 3 star NR player by rivals
Steve Taylor - 3 star top 150 player by rivals
Duane Wilson - 4 star top 100 player by rivals
JuJuan Johnson - 4 star top 100 player by rivals
Luke Fischer - 4 star top 100 player by rivals
Sandy Cohen - 4 star top 100 player by rivals

I realize some of these guys were overrated coming out of high school but compare that list with Butler's or Seton Hall's recruits. Compare it with DePaul and Xavier. Maybe I'm just frustrated after tonight's loss, but I think this team should be better than they are and I put that on the coach. How many times do we end up chucking up a shot as the shot clock expires. We have no offense to speak of except give the ball to Carlino and hope he makes it. I'm disappointed with the coaching this far.

Sometimes it's as simple as the sum of the parts vs the individual components.  The ratings are crap, they're like the polls through the first 6 weeks of the season.....utter nonsense.

I will contend until the day I die that college basketball is driven by guard play, especially the PG.  You can have a lot of good other pieces, but you need the engine to make it happen.  Much easier to play defense when some of our guys have defiencies on offense, as well.

That's one of my bigger concerns with expectations next year.  On paper, sure things look good.  Having said that, "elite" players from Wisconsin have been good but not necessarily elite their freshmen years...I include Looney, Wolf, Smith, etc over the years. 

Texas Western

• All American
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2015, 01:56:54 AM »
I am not in the camp that says Wojo will be a good coach for us. He simply does not have an understanding of what it takes to win in a program like ours. We are not Duke. Every single player on our team is essential to being successful.  Wojo is simply not a leader of young men. At Marquette you can't just roll out the talent and hope to win. The coach needs to build kids up and not tear them down. Putting playersr in the dog house is simply not an option for us. Wojo had an outstanding endowment of talent to begin with. 3 have left and 2 are in and out of the dog house. We have an offense that is centered on one ball hogging chucker.  We are now 10-11. The numbers don't lie.

I don't want to live through the Dukiet years again.

Class71

• All American
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2015, 02:04:19 AM »

In your opinion.
⛵⛵⛵⛵⛵

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2015, 02:51:04 AM »
While I don't like the Carlino-centric offense, other than Duane, nobody wants the ball at the end of the game.  Carlino may lack many things, but he is fearless and more than willing to fire when he needs to late.  Derrick and Juan and other don't have that killer instinct, from the perimeter or driving to the lane.  Not sure how Wojo injects that.

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2015, 03:42:11 AM »
We have an offense that is centered on one ball hogging chucker. 

FWIW, the ball hogging chucker is playing better than he had his previous three seasons.
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

MU82

• All American
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2015, 05:15:17 AM »
I don't want to live through the Dukiet years again.

Then here is what you do:

You get on the MU Board of Trustees. Then get on the Athletic Committee. In the process, you gain the trust of both the president and athletic director. And then you build a coalition to fire Wojo.

Or, as a shortcut, you pledge to donate $500 million to Marquette on the condition they immediately fire Wojo.

Either way, problem solved. The scourge of the basketball program, and apparently one of the very worst coaches in Division 1, will be gone.

Then we can hire another coach who will be unable to convince a top-10 recruiting class to stick around and who will have no depth and little talent to work with. You can be disappointed with his .500 record, too, and get him fired after one year.

Congrats! I think you've got a great blueprint for long-term success there!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

UticaBusBarn

• Team Captain
« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2015, 05:33:47 AM »
It is hard to understand the fixation on the offensive failure of a team is basically offensively inept.

The Warriors lost because their defense failed. They failed to box out on the second free throw that was rebounded by Butler and turned into a basket. The defense then "lost" a player who sank a three point shot. Two three point plays = ball game.

Too bad, because clearly Coach Wojo decided, for the first time in Big East play, to use pressure defense in the second half, as opposed to opening the game with pressure.

It almost worked. However, in the end, it was defensive failures that cost the Warriors the game.

feedback