[Today at 05:39:36 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by WhiteTrash
[April 18, 2024, 09:34:43 PM]

MU Gear by TallTitan34
[April 18, 2024, 07:27:40 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Uncle Rico
[April 18, 2024, 05:33:25 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Butler Game Thread  (Read 43511 times)

willie warrior

• All American
Re: Butler Game Thread
« Reply #200 on: January 31, 2015, 03:36:55 PM »
Duane needs to quit pointing at his wrist, last two times he has done it we have gone on to crap the bed.
Yeah--it was that and him that lost the game.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #201 on: January 31, 2015, 03:42:29 PM »
If you are referring to Jones, Duane was on him for at least 8 minutes in first and second half, so don't start the eliteness on that Lenny.

Wojo the phony lonesome Dukie just daid on the post game that Derrick played unbelievable defense against Jones.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #202 on: January 31, 2015, 03:45:24 PM »
That was beyond stupid.  Would Carlino just audible to that or do we think it came from sideline. Hopefully question gets asked in post game press conference.

What was beyond stupid? The execution was terrible, but the approach was the only call to make at that time.
Carlino absolutely must hit the rim in that situation to give us a chance. If he doesn't hit the rum or if Carlino makes his second FT we lose......and we did.

wildbill sb

• Team Captain
« Reply #203 on: January 31, 2015, 03:46:34 PM »
Man they're hard to watch this year.  I know he doesn't have much to work with but I'm definitely not sold on Wojo.

You be right, guy.  It's basketball for pity's sake.  What was Wojo doing during his tenure on the Duke bench during games - sleeping?  I believe the guy he sat next to for at least a decade probably shared a bit of in-game coaching during that time.  I will say this, however, as I listen to his post-game coach speak.  He sure has all the loser coach-speak cliches at the ready.
“I’m working as hard as I can to get my life and my cash to run out at the same time. If I can just die after lunch Tuesday, everything will be perfect.”  - Doug Sanders, professional golfer

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #204 on: January 31, 2015, 03:47:48 PM »
We could use a big who can shoot this year.  Two man game with Carlino would be deadly... Too bad he leaves.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #205 on: January 31, 2015, 03:47:58 PM »
Duane and he are both ball hogs. Given our roster they kind of have to be. How did Duane miss that breakaway lay up?

Lol. Good question. But of it was Derick bringing the ball up in that situation he would have eased up the court instead of challenging the D and we'd safely get in our offense of watching Derrick look to pass to Matt and Duane to go create offense.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #206 on: January 31, 2015, 03:50:45 PM »
Wojo the phony lonesome Dukie just daid on the post game that Derrick played unbelievable defense against Jones.

Of course he did. Just like Buzz did all of last year.  Have to somehow try to justify why you are playing the guy 35 minutes when it is clear he essentially adds no value at offensive end.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #207 on: January 31, 2015, 03:53:12 PM »
What was beyond stupid? The execution was terrible, but the approach was the only call to make at that time.
Carlino absolutely must hit the rim in that situation to give us a chance. If he doesn't hit the rum or if Carlino makes his second FT we lose......and we did.

You could say it's debate able I guess. But my preference - make it a 1 point game, force them to inbound with no timeouts. Maybe get turnover off of that or foul immediately. 4 seconds is plenty of time to rebound and get a decent look.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #208 on: January 31, 2015, 04:04:37 PM »
Without checking the stats, I don't think Butler missed a FT. The choice between a controlled miss by us and potential for a Off rebound vs. counting on them to miss and chuck up a half court shot? Neither is a great option--but I'll take the former.....and certainly isn't beyond stupid.

AirPunches

• All American
« Reply #209 on: January 31, 2015, 04:11:35 PM »
Of course he did. Just like Buzz did all of last year.  Have to somehow try to justify why you are playing the guy 35 minutes when it is clear he essentially adds no value at offensive end.

Derrick has played pretty well this year. His D is generally good and I wouldn't go as far to say he adds no value. He does what he can with his skill set. Hard to knock a kid that plays as hard as does. Doesn't really make any dumb mistakes either. I do however hope Marquette recruits people with much higher basketball ability to play that position going forward. Can't really rag on the only true one on this team.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #210 on: January 31, 2015, 04:12:45 PM »
Without checking the stats, I don't think Butler missed a FT. The choice between a controlled miss by us and potential for a Off rebound vs. counting on them to miss and chuck up a half court shot? Neither is a great option--but I'll take the former.....and certainly isn't beyond stupid.

Carlino makes the FT it is a one point game. You can foul and Butler still has to make two and it's a 3 point game. Missing it leaves us down 2 and as you saw..of you don't get the rebound you have to foul immediately and now they make 2 FTs and you are down 4..impossible to tie game then. And as you saw Butler trap is and force a turnover at end of regulation - it is very possible in that situation to create a turnover. Bottom line..never should have gotten to that point anyway. But. Trust the process.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #211 on: January 31, 2015, 04:16:02 PM »
Butler was 17 for 18 for free throws.

Roosevelt Jones, their best player shot 1 or 2 for 12, but #45 went for 30 points and 8 rebounds.  Who'd think.......

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #212 on: January 31, 2015, 04:22:47 PM »
17 of 18.
So, maybe not plan on them missing FTs with 2 sec left and chuck one up from 3/4 to 1/2 court? Maybe you execute the play and try to get a 50/50 ball. Better odds than them missing FTs and a desperation hurl.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #213 on: January 31, 2015, 04:53:15 PM »
I love Carlino and what he has done for us. That said, I'll be glad when Duane, Sandy, and the others next year have to make plays at the end. We are way too one dimensional at the end and everyone knows it.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

feedback