[Today at 09:52:10 AM]

Where is Marquette? by muwarrior69
[Today at 09:46:37 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by MU Fan in Connecticut
[Today at 09:25:35 AM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by MarquetteDano
[Today at 09:22:06 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: RE: Rasheed Sulaimon dismissed from Duke  (Read 23957 times)

MU82

• All American
Re: RE: Rasheed Sulaimon dismissed from Duke
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2015, 09:10:00 PM »
Sulaimon gone?

Obviously, poor practice habits!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2015, 09:10:38 PM »
This could be in Hobert's wheelhouse
don't...don't don't don't don't

Atticus

• All American
« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2015, 09:12:42 PM »
Yes. Good thing they got to pick the best 7 out of 12 scholarship players. Big difference when we are stuck playing the worst players on our roster because we have no depth

Funny. I thought you argued that teams only play 7 or less (like SHU) because they have to...not because they don't have a choice.

I'll continue to point out coaches that CHOOSE TO PLAY 7 or less all season. Care to comment on Brey vs  Duke? Nah.

VegasWarrior77

• All American
« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2015, 09:16:36 PM »
I think Coach K saw his protégé playing mind games with his players and thought "You think you can out 'mind game' me with your own team?  I'll show you mind games!  Check, and Mate."

Both of them, just messing with talented kids not trying to improve them for the game or life.  Beyond reprehensible.

Coach K with over 1k wins in 30+ years and the coach of our national team never helped improve anyone!  Get real!
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2015, 09:16:56 PM »
Funny. I thought you argued that teams only play 7 or less (like SHU) because they have to...not because they don't have a choice.

I'll continue to point out coaches that CHOOSE TO PLAY 7 or less all season. Care to comment on Brey vs  Duke? Nah.

I actually made four points. All of them said what was obvious but seems mysterious to you. 13 scholarship players > than 8 scholarship players
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Atticus

• All American
« Reply #30 on: January 29, 2015, 09:37:51 PM »
I actually made four points. All of them said what was obvious but seems mysterious to you. 13 scholarship players > than 8 scholarship players

You keep reeling. I can point out coaches that purposely play 7 (or less) quite regularly (I can read a box score). Since when does playing an 8th, 9th, 10th man consistently produce wins for teams not named Kentucky?

And my point will be even more clear when the games matter most...during the NCAA tournament.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #31 on: January 29, 2015, 09:50:15 PM »
You keep reeling. I can point out coaches that purposely play 7 (or less) quite regularly (I can read a box score). Since when does playing an 8th, 9th, 10th man consistently produce wins for teams not named Kentucky?

And my point will be even more clear when the games matter most...during the NCAA tournament.

Look Atticus - Some here are determined to make Wojo the victim in his first year on the job, and set unbelievably low expectations for him - for whatever reason.  He inherited the 2nd best situation at MU in the last 35 years.  Buzz had it really good his first year with the Big 4.  Yet the class the cupboard was QUITE empty of talent thereafter.

Wojo lost 2 kids, one of whom was an All Big East Freshman, and Top 60 recruit.  The other a 3 star - and now we are hot and heavy on the heels of a 3 star kid in Minneapolis.  This team should have 10 players on it.

We return a senior max minute PG who is incredibly efficient with the ball, has a nice assist to turnover ratio, and great shooting percentage.  Another Top 100 senior, Juan Anderson.  A fringe Top 100 PROVEN 5th year senior brought in by Wojo - in Matt Carlino.  Thereafter we had 4 Top 60 sophomores in Duane, Burton, JJJ and Luke.  A freshman Top 100 in Sandy.

The talent and potential certainly were there to be a bigger winner than this 10-10 outfit.  Problem is, the playing time decisions haven't been good by the head coach.

"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

connie

• All American
« Reply #32 on: January 29, 2015, 09:56:17 PM »
Here we go...............................
"Let's be careful out there."  Phil Esterhaus

Atticus

• All American
« Reply #33 on: January 29, 2015, 09:58:19 PM »
Look Atticus - Some here are determined to make Wojo the victim in his first year on the job, and set unbelievably low expectations for him - for whatever reason.  He inherited the 2nd best situation at MU in the last 35 years.  Buzz had it really good his first year with the Big 4.  Yet the class the cupboard was QUITE empty of talent thereafter.

Wojo lost 2 kids, one of whom was an All Big East Freshman, and Top 60 recruit.  The other a 3 star - and now we are hot and heavy on the heels of a 3 star kid in Minneapolis.  This team should have 10 players on it.

We return a senior max minute PG who is incredibly efficient with the ball, has a nice assist to turnover ratio, and great shooting percentage.  Another Top 100 senior, Juan Anderson.  A fringe Top 100 PROVEN 5th year senior brought in by Wojo - in Matt Carlino.  Thereafter we had 4 Top 60 sophomores in Duane, Burton, JJJ and Luke.  A freshman Top 100 in Sandy.

The talent and potential certainly were there to be a bigger winner than this 10-10 outfit.  Problem is, the playing time decisions haven't been good by the head coach.

You are entitled to your opinion. Your opinion is at least partially based on high school recruiting rankings. I guess I can't judge a coach based on what a bunch of guys who work for websites and list player 1-100 based on a few AAU tournaments and high school games. How many trips did the recruiting experts make to Rice Lake? Zero, probably. Nevermind the fact that offers from certain programs move the needle. Anthony Davis didn't exist until he was a senior...

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #34 on: January 29, 2015, 10:00:48 PM »

This may be the most idiotic thing you have ever posted.  2nd best situation in 35 years that all the experts predicted would finish near the bottom in conference.  That either means, this is the best conference lineup in the last 35 years, or MU has sucked for the past 35 years.  Neither is true...therefore the conclusion is your statement is idiotic.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #35 on: January 29, 2015, 10:07:27 PM »
Guess Scoop has become an infinite loop!  :o
Goal is National Championship

FartyEightHours

• Starter
« Reply #36 on: January 30, 2015, 06:49:10 AM »
We better hope it's the players who stink and not the coaches!!
My adjectives are wise, brilliant, and sexy

MU82

• All American
« Reply #37 on: January 30, 2015, 07:12:43 AM »
Some here are determined to make Wojo the victim in his first year on the job.

Nope. Some here are just realistic.

As are coaches who picked MU to finish near the bottom of the conference. If I'm not mistaken, those coaches did more than play high school ball and therefore, by your logic, they are far more knowledgeable than an observer who only played high school ball.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

The Equalizer

• All American
« Reply #38 on: January 30, 2015, 07:28:29 AM »

Last season the coaching staff talked to Sulaimon about his body language when things didn't go his way. He had specifically been called out for pouting and not celebrating his teammates while he was on the bench.

That can only mean he's going to a program where the coach is more tolerant of this sort of thing.  Helloooo,  Virginia Tech.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #39 on: January 30, 2015, 09:08:28 AM »
Coach K was trying to get the team's attention so they could focus on tomorrow's tough game against Virginia

or perhaps Coach K cooled on him
« Last Edit: January 30, 2015, 10:54:42 AM by Michael Kenyon »

MUHoopsFan2

• All American
« Reply #40 on: January 30, 2015, 09:27:21 AM »
Why would anyone even speculate about the POSSIBITY we would go after this guy? If he's dead to Coach K, he's dead to Wojo.
How do you know that?

There are probably assistant coaches on the MU staff who recruited Rasheed and know him well and have a real comfort level with him?

Coach Chris Carrawell I am sure, and Thornton as well. And of course Coach Wojo. The kid can guard.

I am not saying bring him in but you don't know the relationship that he might have with coaches who are here now that used to be down at  Duke.  

Maybe one of them recruited him...and knows him and his 'situation' if there is one.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #41 on: January 30, 2015, 09:38:31 AM »
How do you know that?

You're right, no one knows for certain, but I feel 99.99% sure he won't go to a K disciple. Look at the quote from Coach K. Sulaimon couldn't live up to the standards of being a Duke player. Do you imagine the standards at Marquette under Wojo, or Northwestern under Collins, or Stanford under Dawkins are much different?

That K has never before kicked a player off his team speaks volumes, and I can't see any way his proteges will see things differently.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #42 on: January 30, 2015, 09:47:21 AM »
Nope. Some here are just realistic.

As are coaches who picked MU to finish near the bottom of the conference. If I'm not mistaken, those coaches did more than play high school ball and therefore, by your logic, they are far more knowledgeable than an observer who only played high school ball.

And last season those same coaches picked MU to win the Big East - so apparently they get it wrong sometimes too.

This may be the most idiotic thing you have ever posted.  2nd best situation in 35 years that all the experts predicted would finish near the bottom in conference.  That either means, this is the best conference lineup in the last 35 years, or MU has sucked for the past 35 years.  Neither is true...therefore the conclusion is your statement is idiotic.

LOL - What is idiotic is to reference our pre-season conference ranking and try to use that as a benchmark for what talent/situation a coach inherited when walking into a program.  (Not to mention what I posted above.)  To use conference pre-season ranking as a metric is ridiculous as we were an Independent in the Majerus and Dukiet years.  Then to compare our pre-season conference rank in the vaunted MCC (O'Neill's situation), or Conference USA (Crean), and how the modified Big East (Wojo) are 4 very different "conferences."

Furthermore, in the last 35 years there have been Rick Majerus, Bob Dukiet, Kevin O'Neill, Mike Deane, Tom Crean, Buzz Williams, and now Wojo.  So, we are talking about 7 seasons in total (not 35 seasons).   And lastly, the point was about what the new head coach INHERITED walking into the program.

Sadly, some here simply refuse to believe talented freshman/sophomores can lead a team to victory, even though we've seen it at MU with the Big 3 under Crean, and just saw it under Seton Hall and Willard.  The rub of course is our last coach, Buzz, and now Wojo are making their bed with the not as nearly talented upperclassmen, while giving limited time to the underclassmen.  And once again, it is proving to be the wrong coaching decision.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #43 on: January 30, 2015, 09:51:09 AM »
When a player is dismissed from a team, instead of leaving voluntarily to transfer, how much eligibility does he have remaining? 
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #44 on: January 30, 2015, 11:14:52 AM »
How do you know that?

Because I'm capable of making logical inferences from known facts.

FartyEightHours

• Starter
« Reply #45 on: January 30, 2015, 11:19:28 AM »
At what point do you stop inferring and start deducing?
My adjectives are wise, brilliant, and sexy

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #46 on: January 30, 2015, 11:29:49 AM »
Because I'm capable of making logical inferences from known facts.

Ha yep, pretty simple dot connection

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #47 on: January 30, 2015, 11:31:23 AM »

I see huge potential in the username FartyEightHours with that accompanying avatar. Don't let me down!

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #48 on: January 30, 2015, 11:35:03 AM »
When a player is dismissed from a team, instead of leaving voluntarily to transfer, how much eligibility does he have remaining? 

There is no difference unless the NCAA is more sympathetic to a waiver.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #49 on: January 30, 2015, 11:40:55 AM »

Elementary, my dear Farty.