[Today at 08:40:42 AM]

Maximilian Langenfeld by tower912
[Today at 07:24:54 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by WhiteTrash
[April 18, 2024, 09:34:43 PM]

MU Gear by TallTitan34
[April 18, 2024, 07:27:40 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: RE: Rasheed Sulaimon dismissed from Duke  (Read 24024 times)

Rockmic87

• Team Captain
RE: Rasheed Sulaimon dismissed from Duke
« on: January 29, 2015, 03:42:23 PM »
Does he consider MU with Wojo's relationship?

WarriorPride68

• All American
Re: RE: Rasheed Sulaimon dismissed from Duke
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2015, 03:50:10 PM »

Only on scoop...

zrjones13

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2015, 03:53:33 PM »
I think the real question in these situations is would Marquette be interested in the kid?  I don't why he was dismissed, but that's usually a red flag.  If the kid couldn't follow Wojo's mentor's rules, then I don't think he would fit here.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2015, 03:56:28 PM »
Quote from: Mike Krzyzewski
"Rasheed has been unable to consistently live up to the standards required to be a member of our program. After Rasheed repeatedly struggled to meet the necessary obligations, it became apparent that it was time to dismiss him from the program."

After K said that, I'm going to guess Wojo (and the rest of the Duke coaching alumni) won't go anywhere near him. If they didn't go after Ojeleye, a kid who seemed to be in fine standing, I doubt they'll want anything to do with someone who couldn't meet the requirements of the program, since Duke probably has the same expectations of their student-athletes that we now do.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Rockmic87

• Team Captain
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2015, 04:04:56 PM »
True...putting my money on SMU, given that he's from Dallas and Frazier seems to be heading out the door.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2015, 04:06:40 PM »
Why would anyone even speculate about the POSSIBITY we would go after this guy? If he's dead to Coach K, he's dead to Wojo.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 04:13:32 PM by Lennys Tap »

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2015, 04:07:54 PM »
Can't imagine Wojo going after a player who was dismissed by his mentor. No idea why the kid was dismissed but it seems like a red flag.

Wish it wasn't so, Sulaimon would be a perfect addition for us next season.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2015, 04:24:56 PM »
Can't imagine Wojo going after a player who was dismissed by his mentor. No idea why the kid was dismissed but it seems like a red flag.

Maybe he was dismissed by coach K intentionally to give him to Wojo, after all we need a guard.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2015, 04:26:51 PM »
This one is strange...he played just yesterday.

He get in a fight on the team plane?
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2015, 04:43:35 PM »
This one is strange...he played just yesterday.

He get in a fight on the team plane?

Correct, he played a season low 12 minutes last night

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncb/boxscore?gameId=400587947

I don't think I've heard of this before ... a player that has played at least 12 minutes EVERY game this season, suggesting he has NOT been disciplined this season (or at least disciplined to the point of missing a game) and he is dismissed from the team less than 24 hours after his last game.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2015, 04:46:04 PM »

See the highlighted part ... this was probably Wojo last year.

Coach K: Didn't live up to standards

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/12249502/duke-blue-devils-dismiss-junior-rasheed-sulaimon

In a stunning announcement, Duke junior guard Rasheed Sulaimon was dismissed from the program on Thursday. The Houston native had not previously been disciplined, at least publicly, all season.

"Rasheed has been unable to consistently live up to the standards required to be a member of our program," coach Mike Krzyzewski said in a release. "It is a privilege to represent Duke University and with that privilege comes the responsibility to conduct oneself in a certain manner. After Rasheed repeatedly struggled to meet the necessary obligations, it became apparent that it was time to dismiss him from the program."

Last season the coaching staff talked to Sulaimon about his body language when things didn't go his way. He had specifically been called out for pouting and not celebrating his teammates while he was on the bench.

Sulaimon seemingly had bought into his role this season coming off the bench and was developing into one of the Blue Devils' best on-ball defenders.

Sulaimon appeared in all 20 games this season and averaged 7.5 points, 2.0 rebounds and 1.8 assists per game.

Sulaimon's absence could thrust freshman Grayson Allen into the lineup more. Allen, a 6-foot-4 guard, has averaged only 6.1 minutes per game in 16 appearances. Or it could simply expand sophomore Matt Jones' reserve role. Jones averages 4.7 points and also played in every game. Krzyzewski would often use Jones and Sulaimon in the same lineup as his top defenders. Sulaimon was valuable in a sense that he could also play point guard and run the offense if needed. Jones is not skilled in the same manner.

The No. 4 Blue Devils travel to No. 2 Virginia on Saturday, in what could almost be called a must-win game for their fading ACC regular-season title hopes. Wednesday's loss at Notre Dame dropped Duke to 4-3 in league play. The Cavs (19-0) are still undefeated through seven league games.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2015, 04:56:45 PM »
Definitely an odd situation. Either Coach K was disciplining Sulaimon privately for some sort of ongoing issue or something just came to light in the last 24 hours that was damning enough to make Coach K kick Sulaimon to the curb.

I'm sure sure good ole shady Sampson would be happy to welcome him back to his hometown of Houston.
TAMU

FartyEightHours

• Starter
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2015, 05:06:14 PM »
Hey Vander Blue pooted but he was an NBA guy, come on down Rasheed!
My adjectives are wise, brilliant, and sexy

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2015, 05:21:23 PM »
First player Coach K has ever dismissed.

WarriorPride68

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2015, 05:28:49 PM »
If the rumors turn up true...this thread can be deleted

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2015, 05:31:40 PM »
Why--we are all still holding out hope for Diamond? Not sure the Duke connection is the route to go.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2015, 05:33:28 PM »
See the highlighted part ... this was probably Wojo last year.

Coach K: Didn't live up to standards

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/12249502/duke-blue-devils-dismiss-junior-rasheed-sulaimon

In a stunning announcement, Duke junior guard Rasheed Sulaimon was dismissed from the program on Thursday. The Houston native had not previously been disciplined, at least publicly, all season.

"Rasheed has been unable to consistently live up to the standards required to be a member of our program," coach Mike Krzyzewski said in a release. "It is a privilege to represent Duke University and with that privilege comes the responsibility to conduct oneself in a certain manner. After Rasheed repeatedly struggled to meet the necessary obligations, it became apparent that it was time to dismiss him from the program."

Last season the coaching staff talked to Sulaimon about his body language when things didn't go his way. He had specifically been called out for pouting and not celebrating his teammates while he was on the bench.

Sulaimon seemingly had bought into his role this season coming off the bench and was developing into one of the Blue Devils' best on-ball defenders.

Sulaimon appeared in all 20 games this season and averaged 7.5 points, 2.0 rebounds and 1.8 assists per game.

Sulaimon's absence could thrust freshman Grayson Allen into the lineup more. Allen, a 6-foot-4 guard, has averaged only 6.1 minutes per game in 16 appearances. Or it could simply expand sophomore Matt Jones' reserve role. Jones averages 4.7 points and also played in every game. Krzyzewski would often use Jones and Sulaimon in the same lineup as his top defenders. Sulaimon was valuable in a sense that he could also play point guard and run the offense if needed. Jones is not skilled in the same manner.

The No. 4 Blue Devils travel to No. 2 Virginia on Saturday, in what could almost be called a must-win game for their fading ACC regular-season title hopes. Wednesday's loss at Notre Dame dropped Duke to 4-3 in league play. The Cavs (19-0) are still undefeated through seven league games.

Man, if they can the guy for body language, Vander would have been gone in his soph year.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

zrjones13

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2015, 05:47:54 PM »
According to the espn insider article it seems like the coaches just had enough of his attitude.  I would still pass.  Just wondering can he join a team and start playing right away a lot of public schools just started this week so he could get into classes?

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2015, 07:03:46 PM »
I think Coach K saw his protégé playing mind games with his players and thought "You think you can out 'mind game' me with your own team?  I'll show you mind games!  Check, and Mate."

Both of them, just messing with talented kids not trying to improve them for the game or life.  Beyond reprehensible.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2015, 07:22:33 PM »
If the rumors turn up true...this thread can be deleted

???
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

Atticus

• All American
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2015, 08:34:32 PM »
Coach k's rotation just dropped by one...

;)

Atticus

• All American
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2015, 08:44:08 PM »
Oh...anybody notice that Brey played 7 last night to knock off Duke?

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2015, 09:02:20 PM »
Oh...anybody notice that Brey played 7 last night to knock off Duke?

Yes. Good thing they got to pick the best 7 out of 12 scholarship players. Big difference when we are stuck playing the worst players on our roster because we have no depth
TAMU

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2015, 09:06:11 PM »
True...putting my money on SMU, given that he's from Dallas and Frazier seems to be heading out the door.

I thought Hoiberg and IA State are the Land of Misfit Toys in D-1 basketball?

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2015, 09:07:55 PM »
THe last guy that left Duke, who left on good terms, barely, if at all looked our way, by all appearances.  

Is Scoop going to obsess over every Duke non-graduate exit for the next 4 years?  Geez.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 09:22:14 PM by HutchwasClutch »