[Today at 02:05:40 PM]

Katz has MU in Final Four by MU82
[Today at 01:58:18 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MU82
[Today at 01:49:43 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Galway Eagle
[Today at 01:20:04 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Does anyone know what this is about?  (Read 34592 times)

nathanziarek

• All American
    • Late to the Party
Re: Does anyone know what this is about?
« Reply #50 on: January 29, 2015, 08:50:43 PM »
Our Rec Facilities are so far behind other schools. Having just done the college tours last year with my daughter, the facilities out there are impressive. Kids really get into that. MU is light years behind. What is ours, 40 years old?

I walk by MSOE's Kern Center every day on the way to work. It's a nice-looking facility with lots of well-spaced, new machines.

I can definitely see how that would be a check in the positives column.
Marquette Basketball on Reddit: http://reddit.com/r/mubb

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #51 on: January 29, 2015, 08:58:49 PM »
U of I is the same way. They have something ridiculous like 8 different usable facilities or something like that.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #52 on: January 29, 2015, 09:02:44 PM »
U of I is the same way. They have something ridiculous like 8 different usable facilities or something like that.

Yes, but those schools also offer Physical Education classes, Phys Ed Majors, etc.  MU does not. 

We cannot be all things to all people.

It was only a few days ago that people were complaining here at Scoop about the tuition.  Shiny new buildings, more courses, more instructors and better ones, all mean higher tuition.

People need to make up their minds on what we want to be.  (not picking on you, could have replied to most in this thread with same response)

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #53 on: January 29, 2015, 09:13:39 PM »
Yes, but those schools also offer Physical Education classes, Phys Ed Majors, etc.  MU does not. 

It was only a few days ago that people were complaining here at Scoop about the tuition.  Shiny new buildings, more courses, more instructors and better ones, all mean higher tuition.

People need to make up their minds on what we want to be.  (not picking on you, could have replied to most in this thread with same response)

In the short term. But if planned properly, shiny new buildings could also mean expanded enrollment which would mean cheaper tuition.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #54 on: January 29, 2015, 09:48:08 PM »
In the short term. But if planned properly, shiny new buildings could also mean expanded enrollment which would mean cheaper tuition.

Can you give an actual example of where that has happened?

Also, I don't think Marquette has any plans to expand in terms of enrollment.  I think that overall, they are pretty happy with the size that they are. They could have increased their enrollment in the last decade or so if they wanted. Instead, their strategy has been to stay the same size, but be more selective.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 10:13:13 PM by warriorchick »
Have some patience, FFS.

Texas Western

• All American
« Reply #55 on: January 29, 2015, 10:10:28 PM »
This is an outstanding development for the school as a whole.   It is fantastic for the various sports teams and it gives the general student and faculty population a winter field recreation outlet that will make a big difference in their lives. Bottom line is this will allow us to keep enhancing  our academic profile.

This goes in the category of very essential in my book, not just a fancy new toy. Very good bang for the buck.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #56 on: January 30, 2015, 02:49:18 AM »

I've been very fortunate in terms of my scholarship and the fact my parents and grandparent's saved up college money for me since I was born. Yea tuition increases suck as a whole but I'm all for lovell and his expansion and upgrading

LloydsLegs

• All American
« Reply #57 on: January 30, 2015, 06:18:20 AM »
Will the new facility know how to properly use Hyperbaric Chambers?  Will they be teaching the Packers, Pistons, Suns, et al, training staffs to use them properly....or any head coaches out there that also serve as experts in that area?

;D ;D ;D

tower912

• All American
« Reply #58 on: January 30, 2015, 06:44:31 AM »
I know that a lot of scoopers spend time in the Hyperbolic chamber every day. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #59 on: January 30, 2015, 08:21:23 AM »

HA!  Not gonna happen.  The biggest cost that any college or university has is personnel, and that goes up directly with enrollment.  (Unless you plan on stuffing more kids in a classroom, which isn't going to help enrollment any.)

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #60 on: January 30, 2015, 08:56:50 AM »
This new facility will also be able to be used by students according this article by Anonymous Eagle.

http://www.anonymouseagle.com/2015/1/30/7950227/marquette-athletic-performance-facility-fieldhouse-lovell

"In addition to the intercollegiate athletics aspect of the building, AD Scholl confirmed in his radio appearance that the building will also be available for general student use as part of the recreational sports department.  While it's a great boon for Marquette's teams to practice indoors during inclement weather, it's also fantastic that the rest of the student population will be able to use the building for flag football and the like during the winter months as well."

So does this mean that the Old Gym can come down and free up space for something else?

🏀

• All American
« Reply #61 on: January 30, 2015, 08:59:17 AM »

So does this mean that the Old Gym can come down and free up space for something else?

ROTC is rather entrenched in the Old Gym.

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #62 on: January 30, 2015, 09:00:49 AM »
ROTC is rather entrenched in the Old Gym.

And it's not that much space between Clybourn and the nursing building anyway.
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #63 on: January 30, 2015, 09:05:17 AM »
I didn't think the Old Gym was used for any of that stuff anyway, so I'm not sure it would matter.  I would see this more directly affecting the Rec Plex, since it's right next door.

It's kinda too bad we couldn't have a do-over with the Al and really integrate the two facilities, and then tie-in the Bucks training facility and offices somehow too.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #64 on: January 30, 2015, 09:31:20 AM »
Our Rec Facilities are so far behind other schools. Having just done the college tours last year with my daughter, the facilities out there are impressive. Kids really get into that. MU is light years behind. What is ours, 40 years old?

#1 40 yrs old is NOTHING for a major capital investment like a Rec Center. If MU starts replacing facilities that are 40yrs old, Tuition is going to to be 200K per year. To put it in perspective, Cudahy was built in the early 90's I think, so we better get ready to tear that sucker down, in 2030 right? Not a sustainable plan.

#2 With this said, I understand that facilities are part of the schools recruiting and image, so yes, it's probably time for a remodel of the current facility.

#3 Maybe the new fieldhouse facility could house tennis courts? In which case the current rec center could expand/create more basketball courts (where tennis currently is) and expand the other fitness facilities (ellipticals, treadmills, weights etc.)

#4 I haven't been to the Rec Plex in Straz Tower in 10 years, but I would guess that they could remodel/refresh that facility as well.

All of these are better options than simply building a new Rec Center.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #65 on: January 30, 2015, 09:36:15 AM »
Out of curiosity, do student also use workout clubs in the Milwaukee area that aren't part of the University?  (Snap Fitness, Gold's Gym, etc.)  If so, could part of the thought be that Marquette doesn't feel that it needs to do too much more in this area with the local resources available?

drbchilds

• Starter
« Reply #66 on: January 30, 2015, 09:37:38 AM »
Lovell must be reading Scoop and the poll about a new medical school.  Baby steps....

hahahahaha!! 

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #67 on: January 30, 2015, 09:43:37 AM »
Out of curiosity, do student also use workout clubs in the Milwaukee area that aren't part of the University?  (Snap Fitness, Gold's Gym, etc.)  If so, could part of the thought be that Marquette doesn't feel that it needs to do too much more in this area with the local resources available?

That's an interesting idea... maybe a SNAP fitness style facility over by Campus Town?

The maintenance and upkeep of such a facility must be minimal. MU already owns the storefronts, so maybe they could put their own 24hr basic fitness facility into one of those buildings?

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #68 on: January 30, 2015, 09:53:05 AM »
That's an interesting idea... maybe a SNAP fitness style facility over by Campus Town?

The maintenance and upkeep of such a facility must be minimal. MU already owns the storefronts, so maybe they could put their own 24hr basic fitness facility into one of those buildings?

From what I gather, lack of access to fitness equipment (treadmills, weight machines, etc.) isn't the issue as much as space for intramural sports and other activities that require large amounts of square footage.  Putting some ellipticals and free weights into one of the empty storefronts isn't going to meet the most pressing needs.
Have some patience, FFS.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #69 on: January 30, 2015, 10:05:16 AM »
From what I gather, lack of access to fitness equipment (treadmills, weight machines, etc.) isn't the issue as much as space for intramural sports and other activities that require large amounts of square footage.  Putting some ellipticals and free weights into one of the empty storefronts isn't going to meet the most pressing needs.

Ah ha, okay, well, then the new fieldhouse/training facility should solve those problems.

BTW, I'm in favor of this facility and recognize the value, I'm simply point out that MU doesn't need to replace the REC CENTER as well (as was suggested). There are other solutions to improve those facilities instead of simply replacing them (hooray, shiny! NEW!).

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #70 on: January 30, 2015, 10:27:03 AM »
Ah ha, okay, well, then the new fieldhouse/training facility should solve those problems.

BTW, I'm in favor of this facility and recognize the value, I'm simply point out that MU doesn't need to replace the REC CENTER as well (as was suggested). There are other solutions to improve those facilities instead of simply replacing them (hooray, shiny! NEW!).

Agree with you there.  There is a lot of boxy space at Helfaer that they could renovate. It's a flat-topped building.  Could they possibly add a story onto it?
Have some patience, FFS.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #71 on: January 30, 2015, 10:53:14 AM »
Agree with you there.  There is a lot of boxy space at Helfaer that they could renovate. It's a flat-topped building.  Could they possibly add a story onto it?

Well, if they can put tennis in the new facility, it would give them a TON of space at Helfaer, and they could put additional court space in that would improve the facility.

Court related sports and intramurals (basketball, volleyball, floor hockey, etc. etc.) could all stay in that facility, and if they want to host some "field" related sports in the new facility, that seems to make sense.

I'm actually a little surprised they didn't consider a domed facility down in the valley. I know a lot of high schools have used such facilities and rent them out during off hours as well. (softball, baseball, golf, etc.).

source?

• All American
« Reply #72 on: January 30, 2015, 12:09:18 PM »
Anyone have any idea when groundbreaking/opening of the facility are expected?

In answer to my own question, 6 months for design and another 18-24 for construction. Puts the "doors open" date somewhere between February-July 2017.

http://www.jsonline.com/news/education/mu-to-join-with-bucks-in-creating-sports-medicine-center-b99435574z1-290245861.html

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #73 on: January 30, 2015, 12:33:56 PM »

Unlikely, because the powers that be will also scream about teacher to student ratios and all that BS.  So more students, more support hires and more professors to keep their magical ratio in tact.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2015, 12:39:03 PM by ChicosBailBonds »

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #74 on: January 30, 2015, 12:37:52 PM »
I've been very fortunate in terms of my scholarship and the fact my parents and grandparent's saved up college money for me since I was born. Yea tuition increases suck as a whole but I'm all for lovell and his expansion and upgrading

So am I....but I don't want to hear the bitching about the increased tuition, etc, that comes with it then.

Too many people talk out of both sides of their mouth.  Lovell is trying to improve our overall image, as well as the value proposition.  MU costs a lot of money, so you need to show the peeps there is a reason to spend that kind of money.  

IMO, too many MU folks want us to be a great school and defy the laws of economics.  Now, don't get me wrong, I think the cost of education is insane, and a big chunk of that has to do with student loans and grant programs that are given out like candy which just allows colleges to keep jamming up costs (paying for profs, etc, etc) because money is flowing so cheaply.

That will come to an end, no different than Quanitative Easing....there is always a pauper to be paid at the end of the line.