Big East 2024 Offseason by WeAreMarquette96
[April 17, 2024, 11:14:56 PM]

Academic All Americans by AlumKCof93
[April 17, 2024, 10:44:57 PM]

Maximilian Langenfeld by withoutbias
[April 17, 2024, 10:44:37 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by WhiteTrash
[April 17, 2024, 07:24:33 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by Plaque Lives Matter!
[April 17, 2024, 06:35:36 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by WhiteTrash
[April 17, 2024, 05:13:59 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Does anyone know what this is about?  (Read 34926 times)

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
Re: Does anyone know what this is about?
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2015, 04:00:25 PM »
It's missing a track and an indoor practice area that lacrosse & soccer can use during the still Milwaukee cold months.

That's a fieldhouse, not a rec center.

So, yes, I'm in favor of a new fieldhouse (especially using a partnership with the Bucks).

I'm not necessarily in favor of a new Rec Center for the general student population. The one that exists might need a remodel, but in general, it seems fine to me.  

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2015, 04:02:22 PM »
So much, I waited half an hour just to play a pick up game one time.

I understand, but should MU really spend millions on a new facility so kids don't have to wait to play pick-up ball?

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2015, 04:05:35 PM »
Will the new facility know how to properly use Hyperbaric Chambers?  Will they be teaching the Packers, Pistons, Suns, et al, training staffs to use them properly....or any head coaches out there that also serve as experts in that area?

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2015, 04:09:13 PM »
There has gotta be some tanning beds put in there, no?

There certainly are some head coaches who serve as experts in this area.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2015, 04:09:53 PM »
I'm not trying to be a dick, but realistically, what is the student rec center missing?

Maybe they could just refresh/remodel it? It's only been around since the 70's. MU can't really afford to be replacing facilities every 40 years. 

Mostly? Space. It's was super overcrowded when I was a student. I can only imagine it has gotten worse with increased class sizes.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #30 on: January 29, 2015, 04:11:03 PM »
So much, I waited half an hour just to play a pick up game one time.

Learn to play racquetball, Chitown.  I bet those courts aren't  nearly in as much demand as they were in the '70's.   ;D
Have some patience, FFS.

Sir Lawrence

• All American
Ludum habemus.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #32 on: January 29, 2015, 04:13:00 PM »
Will the new facility know how to properly use Hyperbaric Chambers?  Will they be teaching the Packers, Pistons, Suns, et al, training staffs to use them properly....or any head coaches out there that also serve as experts in that area?

We still got that piece o' chit? Thought it went at the garage sale with the those special XXXXLong ties and the lifetime membership to Tans R Us.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #33 on: January 29, 2015, 04:14:17 PM »
Turns out this is a bigger deal than I thought-

http://www.nba.com/bucks/release/milwaukee-bucks-collaborate-marquette-university-world-class-multi-purpose-sports-medicine

"Today, the owners of the Milwaukee Bucks have announced their intention to collaborate with Marquette University on a sports medicine and health and wellness initiative. Together, they are in the early stages of planning to construct a new, world-class, multi-purpose sports medicine and research facility to support the program.

Issues surrounding athlete health and performance are receiving increased attention throughout the NBA, other professional sports leagues and universities nationwide. Given the importance of these issues, the ownership of the Milwaukee Bucks and Marquette University are partnering to make significant investments in the health and well-being of their players and students, respectively. The partnership intends to build a world-class facility in downtown Milwaukee that supports elite-level sports science and medicine, health and wellness, as well as academic research initiatives.

Milwaukee Bucks co-owner Wes Edens stated, “When our group purchased the team, we made a promise to make an impact on and off the court. We are committed to upholding this promise. The development of this world-class facility will not only benefit Bucks players and Marquette students, but as a cutting edge leader in the sports medicine space, it will benefit the entire region and make Wisconsin an even greater attraction worldwide. We are excited to take this first step and partner with Marquette on this endeavor.”

The development is expected to be built on land Marquette University recently acquired in the 800 block of West Michigan Street."

The hyperbaric chamber will return to Marquette!

This is sweet though.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #34 on: January 29, 2015, 04:14:53 PM »
Mostly? Space. It's was super overcrowded when I was a student. I can only imagine it has gotten worse with increased class sizes.

Hmmm...

I wonder if they would be better off remodeling the Straz tower space to be bigger (is there still a pool down there? Does anybody use it, maybe turn that into more court space?

Campus isn't THAT big, but it's nice to have decent REC options on opposite ends of campus.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #35 on: January 29, 2015, 04:29:10 PM »
This is a big deal on many many levels.  Well done MU.

Hilltop

• Walk-On
« Reply #36 on: January 29, 2015, 04:37:16 PM »
So is this also going to be the Bucks new training facility as well or will that remain at the Cousins Center?  Not sure if the the new Bucks owners were thinking about also moving the practice facility closer to downtown.

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #37 on: January 29, 2015, 04:39:08 PM »
So is this also going to be the Bucks new training facility as well or will that remain at the Cousins Center?  Not sure if the the new Bucks owners were thinking about also moving the practice facility closer to downtown.

I believe they're definitely interested in leaving the Cousins Center. Want to get downtown.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #38 on: January 29, 2015, 04:51:18 PM »
Learn to play racquetball, Chitown.  I bet those courts aren't  nearly in as much demand as they were in the '70's.   ;D

I'm not sure if this changed but when I was there they had gotten rid of the racquetball courts. They filled them with more machines because there were too many students to fit in the weight room
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

source?

• All American
« Reply #39 on: January 29, 2015, 04:57:16 PM »
Wow, doubling their research budget over the next 5 years? That's pretty incredible.  DPS is getting police powers too, which should be interesting.

source?

• All American
« Reply #40 on: January 29, 2015, 05:25:56 PM »
This seems like a particularly exciting time period to be associated with Marquette. The new law school building went up in 2010, which is absolutely gorgeous. The updating of the Al seems like a big deal for the basketball program. The addition of the lacrosse team is interesting. Soccer has experienced quite a bit of success in the recent years. The basketball team has a promising outlook. The new research with the freshwater sciences should bring some attention to the university. This announcement is huge for the academic prestige and all of our outdoor sports programs. The new arena for the Bucks should help the basketball program. DPS getting police power should make the neighborhood even more secure. The endowment has grown by nearly $80 million since last year, now at $531 million total (I believe). The new president seems to be absolutely killing it (although I am aware that a lot of this has nothing to do with Lovell).

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #41 on: January 29, 2015, 05:30:30 PM »
Probably Crean or the Buzzster.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #42 on: January 29, 2015, 05:37:26 PM »
This seems like a particularly exciting time period to be associated with Marquette. The new law school building went up in 2010, which is absolutely gorgeous. The updating of the Al seems like a big deal for the basketball program. The addition of the lacrosse team is interesting. Soccer has experienced quite a bit of success in the recent years. The basketball team has a promising outlook. The new research with the freshwater sciences should bring some attention to the university. This announcement is huge for the academic prestige and all of our outdoor sports programs. The new arena for the Bucks should help the basketball program. DPS getting police power should make the neighborhood even more secure. The endowment has grown by nearly $80 million since last year, now at $531 million total (I believe). The new president seems to be absolutely killing it (although I am aware that a lot of this has nothing to do with Lovell).

All very good news. Should help to boost MU's national standing (and US News ranking). I've been tremendously impressed with Lovell.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #43 on: January 29, 2015, 05:57:20 PM »
Still waitin' for Dr. Lovell and powers that be in Bloomington to have a joint presser announcin' the Thomas Crean Memorial Soccer Complex, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

source?

• All American
« Reply #44 on: January 29, 2015, 06:34:13 PM »
Anyone have any idea when groundbreaking/opening of the facility are expected?

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #45 on: January 29, 2015, 06:42:53 PM »
Really impressive stuff

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #46 on: January 29, 2015, 06:43:29 PM »
Still waitin' for Dr. Lovell and powers that be in Bloomington to have a joint presser announcin' the Thomas Crean Memorial Soccer Complex, aina?

Outstanding!
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #47 on: January 29, 2015, 06:51:55 PM »
I'm not trying to be a dick, but realistically, what is the student rec center missing?

Maybe they could just refresh/remodel it? It's only been around since the 70's. MU can't really afford to be replacing facilities every 40 years. 

Our Rec Facilities are so far behind other schools. Having just done the college tours last year with my daughter, the facilities out there are impressive. Kids really get into that. MU is light years behind. What is ours, 40 years old?

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #48 on: January 29, 2015, 07:00:34 PM »
Hmmmmmm. I guess things continue to change since I was a student. When I selected MU, I hadn't seen their rec center. Hell, I didn't even know if they had one. Wasn't high on my list of concerns.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #49 on: January 29, 2015, 07:02:49 PM »
Anyone have any idea when groundbreaking/opening of the facility are expected?

Nothing mentioned to date.  Still in the planning process.