[Today at 09:58:46 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Viper
[Today at 09:52:10 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by MU Fan in Connecticut
[Today at 09:25:35 AM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by MarquetteDano
[Today at 09:22:06 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Does anyone know what this is about?  (Read 34601 times)

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
Does anyone know what this is about?
« on: January 29, 2015, 02:43:28 PM »
MU BB posted this about 15 mins. ago

VP & Director of Athletics will join Coach Wojo tonight for the radio show on ESPN Milwaukee from 6-7 p.m. at Ward's House of Prime. Scholl will discuss a major University announcement being made this afternoon.
Goal is National Championship

StillAWarrior

• All American
Re: Does anyone know what this is about?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2015, 02:46:36 PM »

VP & Director of Athletics will join Coach Wojo tonight for the radio show on ESPN Milwaukee from 6-7 p.m. at Ward's House of Prime. Scholl will discuss a major University announcement being made this afternoon.

I don't know what it is about, but I do see that Lovell is delivering his presidential address at 3:00 today.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2015, 02:48:03 PM »
I don't know what it is about, but I do see that Lovell is delivering his presidential address at 3:00 today.
Yes just saw that. Anyone think it might be arena or practice facility related?
Goal is National Championship

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2015, 02:52:02 PM »

Guessing it's this- http://www.jsonline.com/news/milwaukee/marquette-and-bucks-to-partner-in-sports-medicine-b99435481z1-290219921.html

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2015, 02:53:06 PM »
Yes just saw that. Anyone think it might be arena or practice facility related?

Could be.  Perhaps a big gift of some sort?

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2015, 02:55:36 PM »
Turns out this is a bigger deal than I thought-

http://www.nba.com/bucks/release/milwaukee-bucks-collaborate-marquette-university-world-class-multi-purpose-sports-medicine

"Today, the owners of the Milwaukee Bucks have announced their intention to collaborate with Marquette University on a sports medicine and health and wellness initiative. Together, they are in the early stages of planning to construct a new, world-class, multi-purpose sports medicine and research facility to support the program.

Issues surrounding athlete health and performance are receiving increased attention throughout the NBA, other professional sports leagues and universities nationwide. Given the importance of these issues, the ownership of the Milwaukee Bucks and Marquette University are partnering to make significant investments in the health and well-being of their players and students, respectively. The partnership intends to build a world-class facility in downtown Milwaukee that supports elite-level sports science and medicine, health and wellness, as well as academic research initiatives.

Milwaukee Bucks co-owner Wes Edens stated, “When our group purchased the team, we made a promise to make an impact on and off the court. We are committed to upholding this promise. The development of this world-class facility will not only benefit Bucks players and Marquette students, but as a cutting edge leader in the sports medicine space, it will benefit the entire region and make Wisconsin an even greater attraction worldwide. We are excited to take this first step and partner with Marquette on this endeavor.”

The development is expected to be built on land Marquette University recently acquired in the 800 block of West Michigan Street."

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2015, 02:57:58 PM »
Baseless speculation time... wonder if this facility will be built in addition to a fieldhouse/practice space for the Olympic sports teams.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2015, 02:58:50 PM »
Lovell is killin' it.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2015, 03:01:05 PM »
Turns out this is a bigger deal than I thought-

http://www.nba.com/bucks/release/milwaukee-bucks-collaborate-marquette-university-world-class-multi-purpose-sports-medicine

"Today, the owners of the Milwaukee Bucks have announced their intention to collaborate with Marquette University on a sports medicine and health and wellness initiative. Together, they are in the early stages of planning to construct a new, world-class, multi-purpose sports medicine and research facility to support the program.

Issues surrounding athlete health and performance are receiving increased attention throughout the NBA, other professional sports leagues and universities nationwide. Given the importance of these issues, the ownership of the Milwaukee Bucks and Marquette University are partnering to make significant investments in the health and well-being of their players and students, respectively. The partnership intends to build a world-class facility in downtown Milwaukee that supports elite-level sports science and medicine, health and wellness, as well as academic research initiatives.

Milwaukee Bucks co-owner Wes Edens stated, “When our group purchased the team, we made a promise to make an impact on and off the court. We are committed to upholding this promise. The development of this world-class facility will not only benefit Bucks players and Marquette students, but as a cutting edge leader in the sports medicine space, it will benefit the entire region and make Wisconsin an even greater attraction worldwide. We are excited to take this first step and partner with Marquette on this endeavor.”

The development is expected to be built on land Marquette University recently acquired in the 800 block of West Michigan Street."

President Lovell talked about something like this at the New York City Meet & Greet in the fall.  At the time it sounded liked he wanted a dual purpose facility that did something like this announced and a recreation facility/field house for the students.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2015, 03:03:55 PM »
Lovell must be reading Scoop and the poll about a new medical school.  Baby steps....

FartyEightHours

• Starter
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2015, 03:08:32 PM »
I'm starting to see what the big stink was about with this guy!
My adjectives are wise, brilliant, and sexy

Cheer4MU

• Walk-On
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2015, 03:28:48 PM »
Baseless speculation time... wonder if this facility will be built in addition to a fieldhouse/practice space for the Olympic sports teams.

Yes!

http://www.bizjournals.com/milwaukee/news/2015/01/29/marquette-will-partner-with-milwaukee-bucks-on.html

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2015, 03:31:37 PM »
President Lovell talked about something like this at the New York City Meet & Greet in the fall.  At the time it sounded liked he wanted a dual purpose facility that did something like this announced and a recreation facility/field house for the students.

I was just looking for my comments about this back in December but couldn't locate.  This fits exactly what Lovell told our group back then without providing any details.  I'm certain this was in the works during Q4.

PistolPete

• Starter
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2015, 03:32:09 PM »
Great news. Having said that, I am curious where a new student rec center fits within the capital budget. This is well overdue IMO.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2015, 03:32:55 PM »

Yes!

http://www.bizjournals.com/milwaukee/news/2015/01/29/marquette-will-partner-with-milwaukee-bucks-on.html

NICE. Most logical use for that land... too far from the rest of campus for classrooms or housing.

Well done, Dr. Lovell.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2015, 03:33:29 PM »
This thing has been in the works for awhile. It's going to be an absolute slam dunk for the university and basketball program.

Lovell making waves!
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2015, 03:34:03 PM »

Murf will be upset the "Slicksters" are at it again.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2015, 03:41:11 PM »
Great news. Having said that, I am curious where a new student rec center fits within the capital budget. This is well overdue IMO.

I'm not trying to be a dick, but realistically, what is the student rec center missing?

Maybe they could just refresh/remodel it? It's only been around since the 70's. MU can't really afford to be replacing facilities every 40 years. 

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2015, 03:45:42 PM »
I'm not trying to be a dick, but realistically, what is the student rec center missing?

Maybe they could just refresh/remodel it? It's only been around since the 70's. MU can't really afford to be replacing facilities every 40 years. 

I would guess it's not missing much of anything. But it's a collegiate arms race. Other schools have shiny new facilities. Got to match them, or fall behind.

moomoo

• Team Captain
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2015, 03:45:54 PM »
Tremendous for the hoops program, for the Olympic sports programs, and for the entire academic reputation of the school.  

Absolutely incredible.

« Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 09:37:12 PM by moomoo »
Silenzio. Parla il moomoo.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2015, 03:46:42 PM »

It's missing a track and an indoor practice area that lacrosse & soccer can use during the still Milwaukee cold months.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2015, 03:50:24 PM »
I think we should immediately set up a high jump pit out on the vacant land so Wally can set the record.  Like this afternoon.  

;D
« Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 03:58:33 PM by jsglow »

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2015, 03:56:56 PM »
Gotta figure the dental school will also be involved. Cuttin' edge, world class stuff goin' on, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2015, 03:57:50 PM »

So much, I waited half an hour just to play a pick up game one time.

PistolPete

• Starter
« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2015, 03:58:51 PM »

It's a recruiting tool much like the academic and residential facilities. At the least, a serious renovation is needed.