'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 12:10:57 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:01:08 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: How bright is our future?  (Read 36329 times)

CoachRaymondsClass

• Starter
Re: How bright is our future?
« Reply #75 on: January 30, 2015, 01:01:14 PM »
I'm saying he transferred for many reasons, including his frustration with how he was playing and being used at Mississippi State.  Here's one example:

Jackson averaged 5.8 points and 3.8 rebounds that year, then had solid sophomore and junior seasons but wasn't happy.

"I just didn't feel like I was improving," he said. "I was doing things just because I was bigger and stronger than the other guys. But basically I was just playing with my back to the basket."

Stansbury granted Jackson's request to be released from his scholarship, and Jackson set his sights on Marquette and its new coach, Tom Crean.

"If you've only got one year left, why not go home?" Jackson said.

I am pretty sure PR Nightmare is much closer to the actual case (although I am doing this from memory, and I am not trying to besmirch Robert Jackson because I don't think MU goes to FF without Robert.]

1. RJax was 2nd team All SEC (which I would expect means he had some skills and played pretty well for Miss St.)
2. RJax was voted off the Miss St. team by a team vote after his Junior year - Stansbury put it to the team.
3. Because he would only be a one year player, as well as the [unknown] baggage that he carried about  
    his departure from Miss.St. Crean thought long and hard about accepting RJax - I'm glad Crean did.

Because of his baggage / being kicked off the team by teammates (how embarrassing ), I would expect that he necessarily wouldn't speak too highly of his former coach / school, as well as would have a number of other interview reasons for why he went to MU. Bottom line, because of his situation a lot of teams passed on him.

To answer the question, I believe the future is extremely bright for MU BB but MU fans must be patient for this season, next season and possibly another year depending upon how you define "bright."

MU82

• All American
« Reply #76 on: January 30, 2015, 01:25:21 PM »

No, I am smart enough to look at someone's career and figure out that he was injured much of his first year and fell out of favor his second, and that he is a 6'6" explosive athlete who fills a role that MU will lose when Juan leaves this year.

No one has said he will be a superstar or all conference. 

Sources also tell me he can jump fairly well.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #77 on: January 30, 2015, 01:32:03 PM »

I'm not sure what you mean by "overall balance."  The 2002-03 team was pretty top heavy in terms of offensive load.  The 2012-13 and 2013-14 teams were better balanced.  Shots, scoring and minutes were more evenly distributed.  And the 2013-14 team fell one step short of the 2002-03 one.

Chico couldn't be more wrong regarding overall balance. Only looked at one team, the 2012-13 team that won the Big East regular season championship and advanced to the Elite 8. That year Marquette had 5 DIFFERENT leaders in the 5 major categories - points, rebounds, assists, blocks and steals. Each leader had a LOWER % of the team's total than Wade did on the 2002-03 team. Here's the breakdown:

Wade in 2002-3                       MU's leader in 2012-13

Points:               27.3%                                     21.3% (Blue)
Rebounds:          17.7%                                     14.6% (Lockett)
Assists:              29.0%                                     28.0% (Cadougan)
Steals:               35.0%                                     15.7% (Jamil)
Blocks:               43.0%                                     25.0% (Otule)

Of course there is no such thing as a one man team, but the 2002-3 team was more dominated by one player than any good team in MU history. The fact that you could put Blue, Lockett, Cadougan, J Wilson and Otule in a blender and not come up with a player near as dominant as Wade in ANY category is mind blowing. 2012-13 was the epitome of "team". 2002-3 was a superstar carrying a bunch of good, OK and not so good guys who had "moments".

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #78 on: January 30, 2015, 01:35:13 PM »
That was just one quote, I'm not rewriting any history....there are other quotes, other interviews...that is hardly the only one.  Note that I said twice there were a number of reasons he left, that particular quote substantiates TWO of them (not improving, chance to get home).  Notice how no one has produce the alleged quote from the coach...tsk tsk.. ;)

My memory is that coach said something to the effect that he lacked some of the fundamentals including his left handed layup and Robert confirmed that...be it on radio or television show or whatever.  I'll be happy to search high and low to find the actual quote if the original comment by the coach is produced. 

I'm about to get on a plane to the northwest to attend a wedding of a former MU Athletic department member.  This is a reunion of sorts with many of us that worked during the KO, Deane, Crean era.  Should be some good stories this weekend....perhaps I'll ask them their memories.

Be curious to know how generous T-Cubed is with his weddin' gift, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #79 on: January 30, 2015, 01:35:39 PM »
Except the difference is Robert Jackson came in for his 4th and 5th years in college, and in his first 3 years in college he averaged over 10 ppg.  So not exactly an apples to oranges comparison, but hey, Crean sure made Bob Jackson a playa!

Your hyperbole is excellent.

Here's the thing, in the very article I pulled those last quotes from the coach you love to hammer, the one that brought in the player that you have your username modeled after, states how good Jackson was.  Ironic.  He knew how good he was, and the kid decided to play for him at MU.  Now, does that mean the kid, despite being 2nd team all SEC (not sure what that means in hoops), didn't have defiencies?  Didn't have weaknesses?  Of course he did.  He got better at MU.  No one, I repeat...NO ONE...said he came on campus not able to play....in cluding the coach who's own comments clearly point that out.

It was a good fit, a needed fit for this team.  He played very well for the coach and the university.  What a team that was.

Do you think we will see another one of that quality in the next 20 years years?  That balanced?

MU1980

• Starter
« Reply #80 on: January 30, 2015, 03:07:21 PM »
MU is a tremendous institution that is committed to basketball excellence. The results over the last 45 years have proven that out. So I consider our long term future bright.  

My level of confidence in Coach Wojo is currently low, however I have confidence that if he turns out to be another Coach Dukiet , the administration will take the appropriate action . Lovell is a guy who wants to win too and won't let a under performing basketball coach get in the way of his vision . We don't have enough big donors to take a super long view on any particular coach.

Your posts are increasingly baffling to me.  How can you not see what just about everyone else is seeing, including the experts, that Coach Wojo is doing an outstanding job and quickly building something very exciting to look forward to.  Coach Dukiet was a disaster and to even begin to think Wojo has shown any indication that he is a Dukiet type coach is just puzzling to me.

We get it, you really like JJJ and Burton and it frustrates you that both are not earning their playing time and one of them even transferred and you need to place the blame somewhere.  Guess what, Wojo is a winner and expects the game to be played a certain way.  The players buying into that, such as Sandy Cohen, will earn more playing time and the ones that aren't, won't.  That is excellent leadership and the recruits have to be loving what they are seeing out of Wojo and are excited to come in with the mindset that playing time is earned, not just given based on potential.  Maybe in a year or two you will see how a leader doesn't back down from his beliefs for the short term, knowing they will hurt the cause for the long term. 

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #81 on: January 30, 2015, 03:38:38 PM »
What a team.  Haven't had anything close to that team since then in terms of overall balance.

Neither has Crean.

I said it while he was here and I'll say it again, DWade is to Larry Bird as Crean is to Bill Hodges.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #82 on: January 31, 2015, 10:40:53 AM »
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #83 on: January 31, 2015, 10:47:06 AM »

I heard he and Joanie are giving a soccer stadium...

Death on call

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #84 on: January 31, 2015, 10:57:53 AM »

Not sure whoo t-cubed is, but if it is a former coach, will not be here

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #85 on: January 31, 2015, 03:41:29 PM »

Too Tanned Tommy.  Sounds like a great mafia name

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #86 on: January 31, 2015, 04:00:39 PM »
Too Tanned Tommy.  Sounds like a great mafia name

But of course. Like all true Marquette fans you know who T-Cubed is.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #87 on: January 31, 2015, 04:03:06 PM »

Not invited, eh? Another estranged co-worker.

Texas Western

• All American
« Reply #88 on: February 01, 2015, 02:02:58 AM »
Your posts are increasingly baffling to me.  How can you not see what just about everyone else is seeing, including the experts, that Coach Wojo is doing an outstanding job and quickly building something very exciting to look forward to.  Coach Dukiet was a disaster and to even begin to think Wojo has shown any indication that he is a Dukiet type coach is just puzzling to me.

We get it, you really like JJJ and Burton and it frustrates you that both are not earning their playing time and one of them even transferred and you need to place the blame somewhere.  Guess what, Wojo is a winner and expects the game to be played a certain way.  The players buying into that, such as Sandy Cohen, will earn more playing time and the ones that aren't, won't.  That is excellent leadership and the recruits have to be loving what they are seeing out of Wojo and are excited to come in with the mindset that playing time is earned, not just given based on potential.  Maybe in a year or two you will see how a leader doesn't back down from his beliefs for the short term, knowing they will hurt the cause for the long term. 
I disagree with the notion that Coach Wojo is a leader. He does not know how to lead and inspire young men. We are on our way to our worst year in many years. We started the year with  a significant talent pool.  Each season stands on it's own merits.  There was plenty of talent that for a motivational coach to work with. Coach Wojo Talked the talk about the team being a family, then he installed a caste system. Sapped the motivation out of all the kids.

10-11

MU1980

• Starter
« Reply #89 on: February 01, 2015, 05:25:57 AM »
I disagree with the notion that Coach Wojo is a leader. He does not know how to lead and inspire young men. We are on our way to our worst year in many years. We started the year with  a significant talent pool.  Each season stands on it's own merits.  There was plenty of talent that for a motivational coach to work with. Coach Wojo Talked the talk about the team being a family, then he installed a caste system. Sapped the motivation out of all the kids.

10-11

You are certainly entitled to your opinion, but the issue I have is you tend to speak more factually, such as saying above that he does not know how to lead and inspire young men.  How do you know that?  I and many others see it differently.  You say he ran kids off the team, I say he was showing a new team how to win and not everyone was on the same page.  You say Carlino has disrupted team chemistry; I don't see that at all.  You say he is using JJJ incorrectly and destroying his confidence; I say he is showing him how to be a winner in every facet of the game and so far JJJ is not grasping that.  Feel free to give us your opinion, but don't say he installed a caste system with no proof and make it sound factual.  Sapped the motivation out of ALL the kids?  Really.  Did you just write that?  Have you watched this team play.  The team quit against Seton Hall?  Most of us saw just the opposite.  You want to live in the here and now and are so concerned about the record this year and how JJJ's feeling are getting hurt.  I want a coach that I feel is a very strong leader that realizes that to be a final four type of team in the future, talented players like JJJ need to play like winners all the time, not just show flashes of brilliance.  Cohen is such a perfect example of why I think your opinions are so out of touch with reality.  He is getting it, getting what it takes to be a winner.  JJJ, not so much.  I saw a player make an amazing dunk and then make two lazy mistakes shortly thereafter, something a player of his talent should not be doing on a regular basis.  We all knew that it was going to be a tough year with an undersized team without any depth and some of the key players like JJJ and Burton being undisciplined players that haven't shown an all-around game to be playing in the Big East on a regular basis.  They have learned so much this year and the returning players will be so much better prepared next year to play like winners and with the recruits coming in that Wojo recruited, the future is so incredibly bright, at least in my opinion.  Good luck with all the negativity; it has to be so stressful to live that kind of life and feel so confident in your cynicism.  
« Last Edit: February 01, 2015, 06:15:16 AM by MU1980 »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #90 on: February 01, 2015, 05:31:16 AM »
I disagree with the notion that Coach Wojo is a leader. He does not know how to lead and inspire young men. We are on our way to our worst year in many years. We started the year with  a significant talent pool.  Each season stands on it's own merits.  There was plenty of talent that for a motivational coach to work with. Coach Wojo Talked the talk about the team being a family, then he installed a caste system. Sapped the motivation out of all the kids.

10-11

They sure looked unmotivated today. They went through the motions and got killed by Butler. I think the final score was, what, 86-28?

We knew going into this season that we would get daily rants from Ners about Derrick. So this is what we have to look forward to from you? As long as Wojo is here, you are going to rip on him? Get a freakin' life.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #91 on: February 01, 2015, 06:46:10 AM »
Kids wanna play. With only 8 on the roster, everyone's gettin' pt. as in life, you generally get what choo earn, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

MU1980

• Starter
« Reply #92 on: February 01, 2015, 07:02:50 AM »
then he installed a caste system. Sapped the motivation out of all the kids.

I am curious what you mean by installed a caste system.  By definition a caste system is a class structure that is determined by birth.  Not sure how that term relates to a basketball team.  If you are talking more in terms of a hierarchy, then yes Wojo has established one, along with pretty much every single coach in the game.  The great thing about a hierarchy is that it can continually change.  Based on his hard work in the pre-season, Sandy Cohen was starting at the beginning of the season and was a little higher up on the hierarchy and then he wasn't playing very good defense and was making a lot of rookie, mental mistakes and down he went on the hierarchy.  He kept a great attitude however and because it appears to me that Wojo is a great motivator and communicator, he worked hard, cut down on his mistakes, got better defensively and magically he has gone up on the hierarchy and is seeing more playing time.  It is actually pretty simple and the players need to know how to earn more playing time and not just have it handed it to them.   I have to admire Coach Wojo so much for sticking to his beliefs and not thinking the way it appears that you think, short term and do everything you can to try and make everyone happy, which is just about impossible.  He knows JJJ has talent and he also knows that by not playing him, he may lose him.  That is a risk, but the bottom line is teaching JJJ how to be  a winner is the most important thing to him and hopefully he gets it and stays at Marquette and becomes a productive member of the team for his last two years.  If he leaves, did Wojo push him out the door and throw him under the bus, or did JJJ just not buy into what it takes to be a winner.  We can all decide what we believe in that regard, but I am so liking what I am seeing so far, despite the win-loss record that is so close to being so much better.  

onepost

• All American
« Reply #93 on: February 01, 2015, 02:16:24 PM »
I talked to my manager buddy yesterday after the game (hadn't seen him all semester really) and we talked about all the close losses, how the team is handling it, so on and so forth.  At one point I mentioned that it was encouraging to see JJJ play within himself and have a much better game yesterday relative to what the past month had been like.  I asked him what his thoughts were on JJJ maybe wanting to leave after the season and he laughed in my face.  Said from what he has seen (need I remind everyone these guys interact on a DAILY basis), Jajuan is putting in the effort and trying to becoming a better contributor to this team/program.  Some times that means changing the way you go about the game (Does anyone think Buzz and Wojo are similar in the way they approach players and playing style???).  But that takes time and can be frustrating.  And wouldn't you know it, he logged 17 minutes yesterday and played pretty well.

I only bring this up because it bothers me when people on this board present their points as 100% stone-cold truth.  That Wojo is playing "mind games" with guys, that the team is "giving up" on Wojo and not fighting because their "motivation is sapped" (Texas Western, that may have taken the cake as dumbest unnatural carnal knowledgeing comment I've read on this board is a loooooonnnnnng time, and Ners posts here).  I don't post on this board with certainty unless I know what I'm saying has been backed by someone close to the team.  So quit instigating, stirring the pot, spreading baseless rumors, because it makes this board toxic and I love coming here for MUBB news.

At the end of the day, any rational poster knew what this year was going to be like.  We had a first-year coach, 3 first-year players who have been called upon heavily to contribute, 3 upperclassmen who have no business being major parts of a rotation, JJJ (already mentioned), and a one-year rental in Carlino.  Little size and comical depth.  Inexperienced talent and experienced frustration.  What did you honestly expect from Wojo in year 1?  Todd Mayo did not belong here.  Deonte and Dawson felt this wasn't their place for different reasons.  He's building a CULTURE and starting with a fresh slate.  Personally, my expectations have been more than surpassed, especially since the Big East has been so solid this year.  Take away the first 6 minutes of Seton Hall second half and this team has been in EVERY SINGLE GAME.  Every one.  This team, that on paper has no business being in some of these games.  And their fight has been admirable game in and game out.  We just don't have the horses in year 1.  I'm frustrated that we can't close games but we are in these games.  I could give a rat's ass about wins and losses at this point because I've been encouraged with the progression I've seen across the board.  Wojo hasn't coached perfectly but who does?  He will get better just like we will get better.

So I apologize for the "rant" but this board just becomes so damn frustrating with the same garbage spewed each day.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #94 on: February 01, 2015, 02:34:03 PM »
Thank you for your one post.   Thank you for saying who your source is.    Thank you for your rationality and understanding of the obvious regarding this season.    There is a reason why every major publication's preseason prediction had MU between 6th and 9th in the conference.    Because impartial observers, who have been paid to follow the game closely, saw what you and many others did.   This combination of players playing for a first-time head coach was never going to be a tourney team.    Not enough size, not enough depth,  not enough experienced talent, new system/coach.....
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #95 on: February 01, 2015, 03:10:56 PM »
You are certainly entitled to your opinion, but the issue I have is you tend to speak more factually, such as saying above that he does not know how to lead and inspire young men.  How do you know that?  I and many others see it differently.  You say he ran kids off the team, I say he was showing a new team how to win and not everyone was on the same page.  You say Carlino has disrupted team chemistry; I don't see that at all.  You say he is using JJJ incorrectly and destroying his confidence; I say he is showing him how to be a winner in every facet of the game and so far JJJ is not grasping that.  Feel free to give us your opinion, but don't say he installed a caste system with no proof and make it sound factual.  Sapped the motivation out of ALL the kids?  Really.  Did you just write that?  Have you watched this team play.  The team quit against Seton Hall?  Most of us saw just the opposite.  You want to live in the here and now and are so concerned about the record this year and how JJJ's feeling are getting hurt.  I want a coach that I feel is a very strong leader that realizes that to be a final four type of team in the future, talented players like JJJ need to play like winners all the time, not just show flashes of brilliance.  Cohen is such a perfect example of why I think your opinions are so out of touch with reality.  He is getting it, getting what it takes to be a winner.  JJJ, not so much.  I saw a player make an amazing dunk and then make two lazy mistakes shortly thereafter, something a player of his talent should not be doing on a regular basis.  We all knew that it was going to be a tough year with an undersized team without any depth and some of the key players like JJJ and Burton being undisciplined players that haven't shown an all-around game to be playing in the Big East on a regular basis.  They have learned so much this year and the returning players will be so much better prepared next year to play like winners and with the recruits coming in that Wojo recruited, the future is so incredibly bright, at least in my opinion.  Good luck with all the negativity; it has to be so stressful to live that kind of life and feel so confident in your cynicism.  

I love how "showing guys how to be winners" continues to result in losses racking up.  When you can't and aren't able to connect with very talented guys that don't share the same ilk/personality as you - that doesn't bode well for success.  Time will tell if Wojo's gritty, lunch pail, slap the floor mentality, grinder type can win.  Hell he's got just that in Derrick and Juan, and how's that working out for us?

Love when talented guys are called "undisciplined" then guys who have no talent, can't create shots, and basically are invisible out there get labeled as being able to "follow the game plan," "know their role," "assignment sure."  All that jargon is generally is simply coach speak for guys who don't do jack on the court.

Burton??  Didn't have enough of an "all around game?"  When he left - leader in FG% FT%, 3 point shooting percentage.  In the top 10 OF ALL college basketball players as a freshman in Steal Percentage.  All Big East freshman in 12 minutes per game of action.  And some people here want to act as if he wasn't a major loss/that good??

You know what a winner is?  It's recognizing talent in your organization, realizing that everyone can be motivated differently, figuring out a way to connect with a talented person who perhaps has a different mental make up than do you - and NOT having the person in your organization quit and take their talent elsewhere.  Particularly when it is a blue chip talent, not easily sourced/secured. 
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #96 on: February 01, 2015, 03:14:11 PM »
I talked to my manager buddy yesterday after the game (hadn't seen him all semester really) and we talked about all the close losses, how the team is handling it, so on and so forth.  At one point I mentioned that it was encouraging to see JJJ play within himself and have a much better game yesterday relative to what the past month had been like.  I asked him what his thoughts were on JJJ maybe wanting to leave after the season and he laughed in my face.  Said from what he has seen (need I remind everyone these guys interact on a DAILY basis), Jajuan is putting in the effort and trying to becoming a better contributor to this team/program.  Some times that means changing the way you go about the game (Does anyone think Buzz and Wojo are similar in the way they approach players and playing style???).  But that takes time and can be frustrating.  And wouldn't you know it, he logged 17 minutes yesterday and played pretty well.

I only bring this up because it bothers me when people on this board present their points as 100% stone-cold truth.  That Wojo is playing "mind games" with guys, that the team is "giving up" on Wojo and not fighting because their "motivation is sapped" (Texas Western, that may have taken the cake as dumbest unnatural carnal knowledgeing comment I've read on this board is a loooooonnnnnng time, and Ners posts here).  I don't post on this board with certainty unless I know what I'm saying has been backed by someone close to the team.  So quit instigating, stirring the pot, spreading baseless rumors, because it makes this board toxic and I love coming here for MUBB news.

At the end of the day, any rational poster knew what this year was going to be like.  We had a first-year coach, 3 first-year players who have been called upon heavily to contribute, 3 upperclassmen who have no business being major parts of a rotation, JJJ (already mentioned), and a one-year rental in Carlino.  Little size and comical depth.  Inexperienced talent and experienced frustration.  What did you honestly expect from Wojo in year 1?  Todd Mayo did not belong here.  Deonte and Dawson felt this wasn't their place for different reasons.  He's building a CULTURE and starting with a fresh slate.  Personally, my expectations have been more than surpassed, especially since the Big East has been so solid this year.  Take away the first 6 minutes of Seton Hall second half and this team has been in EVERY SINGLE GAME.  Every one.  This team, that on paper has no business being in some of these games.  And their fight has been admirable game in and game out.  We just don't have the horses in year 1.  I'm frustrated that we can't close games but we are in these games.  I could give a rat's ass about wins and losses at this point because I've been encouraged with the progression I've seen across the board.  Wojo hasn't coached perfectly but who does?  He will get better just like we will get better.

So I apologize for the "rant" but this board just becomes so damn frustrating with the same garbage spewed each day.
Good post by somebody who has closer connections to the team than most of us. I certainly am willing to give Wojo a chance, because of what the lonesome hillbilly left us. This poster admits that we have 3 upperclassmen that have no business being major parts of a rotation. Thank you Buzz for leaving the program in such good shape. Unfortunately we have people that feel that are our upperclassmen deserve those big minutes and blast others who do not feel that way. That does not change that others believe that some of those minutes should be given to the younger players to develop their game skills for the years to come. Instead, some posters denigrate the people that want to give the minutes to underclassmen, or even worse, they blast the skills of some of the underclassmen.
Why can't we all get along?
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #97 on: February 01, 2015, 03:22:58 PM »

Glad you can at least recognize this fact.  So why then, does Wojo INSIST on playing 1 of those 3 guys 35 minutes per game (when he eats up a guard position - that is also played by a high potential, 4/5-star sophomore)?  Juan you can justify his minutes - as at this point there isn't quite another guy like him on the team.  Steve Taylor isn't getting many minutes - so his playing time is in line with what it should be.

But - Wojo had a guy in Burton that very easily could have filled Juan or Derrick's role.  Duane and Carlino are more than capable of playing/trading off the PG position - yet in your words - Wojo continues to play "who has NO business playing major parts of a rotation?"

There are a lot of ways to teach the game - and in my observation - the way Wojo is going about trying to teach the game to JJJ - it's the wrong approach for JJJ as a player/personality.  Furthermore, it is generally wrong to have double standards with regard to your patience/leash for players being allowed to play through mistakes.

Furthermore - some want to throw around O-Rating as a holy grail of a stat around here (which I'm not a huge fan of for a number of reasons), yet if you like - would you care to explain how Wojo's coaching/influence have resulted in JJJ's O-Rating dropping from 108.9 as a freshman to 88.2 as a sophomore??  Seems something isn't clicking.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

mattyv1908

• All American
« Reply #98 on: February 01, 2015, 03:31:49 PM »
Glad you can at least recognize this fact.  So why then, does Wojo INSIST on playing 1 of those 3 guys 35 minutes per game (when he eats up a guard position - that is also played by a high potential, 4/5-star sophomore)?  Juan you can justify his minutes - as at this point there isn't quite another guy like him on the team.  Steve Taylor isn't getting many minutes - so his playing time is in line with what it should be.

But - Wojo had a guy in Burton that very easily could have filled Juan or Derrick's role.  Duane and Carlino are more than capable of playing/trading off the PG position - yet in your words - Wojo continues to play "who has NO business playing major parts of a rotation?"

There are a lot of ways to teach the game - and in my observation - the way Wojo is going about trying to teach the game to JJJ - it's the wrong approach for JJJ as a player/personality.  Furthermore, it is generally wrong to have double standards with regard to your patience/leash for players being allowed to play through mistakes.

Furthermore - some want to throw around O-Rating as a holy grail of a stat around here (which I'm not a huge fan of for a number of reasons), yet if you like - would you care to explain how Wojo's coaching/influence have resulted in JJJ's O-Rating dropping from 108.9 as a freshman to 88.2 as a sophomore??  Seems something isn't clicking.

Ners you're absolutely wrong again and guilty of selective ignorance regarding stats.

Juan Anderson - 13-14 ORtg 93.  14-15 ORtg 102.4
Derrick Wilson - 13-14 ORtg 99.  14-15 ORtg 106.6
Steve Taylor - 13-14 ORtg 82.7.  14-15 ORtg 106.1

JuJuan Johnson - 13-14 ORtg 110.4.  14-15 ORtg 89.6

Three out of our four returning players who played any playing time last season have improved their offensive games yet you're going to take the one guy whose numbers have dropped and use that to evaluate Wojo's coaching/influence in his game???

I have always supported your ability to have a different opinion, but when your own stats don't line up with your argument it really makes you look like you have no idea what you're talking about.
Shut this board down at the opening tip.  If they win, open it back up.  If they lose, keep it shut it down until the next morning.  - Sultan of Slurpery

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #99 on: February 01, 2015, 03:38:37 PM »

Thanks for the info and setting the record straight. Nice to have some actual facts presented here.

feedback