[Today at 09:34:43 PM]

Maximilian Langenfeld by TSmith34, Inc.
[Today at 09:22:20 PM]

MU Gear by TallTitan34
[Today at 07:27:40 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Uncle Rico
[Today at 05:33:25 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: How bright is our future?  (Read 36470 times)

GGGG

• All American
Re: How bright is our future?
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2015, 08:14:17 PM »
Here's the key----one 5 star recruit, can lead to others.

Henry could be Marquette's version of Johnny Dawkins.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2015, 08:16:20 PM »
Was that before or after he "re-taught" DWade?

Eloquent, simply eloquent.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

WarriorPride68

• All American
« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2015, 08:33:38 PM »
+ Henry, Haanif, Heldt, Noskowiak

- Carlino, J.Anderson, Derrick

Without adding another "carlino/Lockett" type immediate transfer, next year could presumably be worse?

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2015, 08:44:16 PM »
Butch Lee was top 5 player his year, first year averaged 8.8 points a game, remember Henry and the group are frosh, probably not as good as you think or the so-called experts think, JJJ #27
must have been seeing something I sure do not see.  MU is at least 2 to 3 players from being elite.  None of the kids right now are elite, elite is the frosh at Ohio St., and no one looks like him, maybe the 2nd pick in the draft.  Remember 1976, probably do not for most, all 5 kids played in the NBA.  Whitehead, Ellis, Tatum, Walton and Lee now those are elite players, Duane, Sandy and Luke are good, elite, I do not see it yet.  I have seen Henry play a few times, could be elite, do not see it as frosh.  The whole team will have a different look next year and I see some serious wholes, that is why Wojo is checking everybody out.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2015, 08:51:02 PM »
+ Henry, Haanif, Heldt, Noskowiak

- Carlino, J.Anderson, Derrick

Without adding another "carlino/Lockett" type immediate transfer, next year could presumably be worse?

Even if Duane, Luke, and Sandy don't improve 1 bit and Noskowiak's situation doesn't get resolved, we'd still be better.

I expect those 3 will be improved, Noskowiak gets his life in order and ends up at Marquette, and we add some more talent that we don't have already committed or on the team.  Things are looking up.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #30 on: January 29, 2015, 08:54:17 PM »
Even if Duane, Luke, and Sandy don't improve 1 bit and Noskowiak's situation doesn't get resolved, we'd still be better.

I expect those 3 will be improved, Noskowiak gets his life in order and ends up at Marquette, and we add some more talent that we don't have already committed or on the team.  Things are looking up.

Lets face it, without Derrick and Juan, have to be better.  Juan in the lat 30 seconds looked like a player, faked nobody out and just shot the ball, made 2 threes, that is how he should be playing every game.  I have seen 4 years of watching Derrick not take great looks, it is tiring watching him, and this year he has some Butch Lee drives in him.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #31 on: January 29, 2015, 09:00:24 PM »
Thank you.

By the way, when Robert Jackson arrived the following year, Crean claimed he could barely make a layup...had to "re-teach" him as I recall.

Jackson said it himself.  He wasn't learning anything at MSU, only playing back to the basket, he was frustrated.  Had a tough time with some of the fundamental plays, like a left handed layup.  One of the reasons he transferred.  He has a few quotes about his reasons for leaving and coming to MU in the press leading up to the Final Four.

WarriorPride68

• All American
« Reply #32 on: January 29, 2015, 09:01:18 PM »
Future is bright, but might take awhile... Let's be patient

Here are Marquettes top 75 recruits as true freshman in past decade (no order):

Maymon - 4 ppg
D.Burton - 7 ppg
JJJ - 4 ppg
Duane (RS)
Vander - 5 ppg
Cadougan - 0.3 ppg
E.Williams - 1.5 ppg
Jamail Jones - 1.5 ppg
Lazar - 6 ppg
J.Anderson - 1 ppg
Sandy (so far) - 5 ppg

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #33 on: January 29, 2015, 09:07:53 PM »
I like the balance of next year's team.

PG: Duane, Noskowiak
SG: Cheatham, Johnson
SF: Cohen, Wally
PF: Henry, Taylor
C: Fischer, Heldt

Two guys at every position. Add in a juco, a graduate transfer, and a regular transfer and you have a full team with depth at every position.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #34 on: January 29, 2015, 09:12:41 PM »

SG: Cheatham, Johnson Anim
SF: Outlaw, Cohen, Wally
PF: Henry, Taylor

Two guys at every position. Add in a juco, a graduate transfer, and a regular transfer and you have a full team with depth at every position.

Fixed.  Add a PG and another big, and yeah, like the looks of that roster lots!!

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #35 on: January 29, 2015, 09:15:06 PM »
Fixed.  Add a PG and another big, and yeah, like the looks of that roster lots!!

Would rather have Johnson than an empty schollie
TAMU

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #36 on: January 29, 2015, 09:18:00 PM »

SG: Cohen, Cheatham, Johnson Anim
SF: Outlaw, Wally
PF: Henry, Stone, Taylor

Fixed even better.  Now get a PG, and sit back and enjoy next year, and hopefully huge runs 2-3 years beyond with that blend of high level talent!!!
« Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 09:25:52 PM by HutchwasClutch »

WarriorPride68

• All American
« Reply #37 on: January 29, 2015, 09:30:20 PM »
Fixed even better.  Now get a PG, and sit back and enjoy next year, and hopefully huge runs 2-3 years beyond with that blend of high level talent!!!

+1. Stone off bench works for me

Texas Western

• All American
« Reply #38 on: January 29, 2015, 09:36:35 PM »
MU is a tremendous institution that is committed to basketball excellence. The results over the last 45 years have proven that out. So I consider our long term future bright.  

My level of confidence in Coach Wojo is currently low, however I have confidence that if he turns out to be another Coach Dukiet , the administration will take the appropriate action . Lovell is a guy who wants to win too and won't let a under performing basketball coach get in the way of his vision . We don't have enough big donors to take a super long view on any particular coach.

Nevada233

• All American
« Reply #39 on: January 29, 2015, 10:15:08 PM »

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #40 on: January 29, 2015, 10:30:08 PM »
Here's the key----one 5 star recruit, can lead to others.
Stone, hey?
Goal is National Championship

Celtic Truth

• Starter
  • THE TRUTH
« Reply #41 on: January 29, 2015, 10:48:03 PM »

Were you drunk?

6 months ago most people on here, including myself thought Deonte, and JJJ were amazing talents who underachieved last year because buzz held them back. let them play this year, play next year and be ready to be amazing by their senior year in 2016-17. add in a RS JR in Duane who I think will be pretty damn good in 2 years. Paired with a SR Luke, and Henry as a superstar Soph. Plus plenty of talent, athleticism, and size off the bench.

Obviously a lot has changed over the past several months. But how was it a ridiculous assumption to think we had a solid CHANCE at making a Final Four run?

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #42 on: January 29, 2015, 10:50:08 PM »
6 months ago most people on here, including myself thought Deonte, and JJJ were amazing talents who underachieved last year because buzz held them back. let them play this year, play next year and be ready to be amazing by their senior year in 2016-17. add in a RS JR in Duane who I think will be pretty damn good in 2 years. Paired with a SR Luke, and Henry as a superstar Soph. Plus plenty of talent, athleticism, and size off the bench.

Obviously a lot has changed over the past several months. But how was it a ridiculous assumption to think we had a solid CHANCE at making a Final Four run?

I don't agree with your views, but I can totally understand them when explained in that manner.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #43 on: January 29, 2015, 10:52:54 PM »
I like the direction the program is headed.

This season has been almost exactly what I expected, except perhaps that most games actually have been closer than I anticipated.

Next season should be a nice "building block" type season. Might be too young to even make the NCAAs unless a JUCO and/or grad student are added; either way, should give legit hope.

Agree 16/17 is the season to really make a move. If Henry is the stud everybody thinks he will be, this will be the year he becomes king of the campus, and he should be surrounded by a pretty good "court." Make it at least to the second weekend and hopefully get a break or two to go further, and a nice foundation has been built for those who follow.

To answer the OP question: The future is reasonably bright.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #44 on: January 29, 2015, 10:53:02 PM »
Jackson said it himself.  He wasn't learning anything at MSU, only playing back to the basket, he was frustrated.  Had a tough time with some of the fundamental plays, like a left handed layup.  One of the reasons he transferred.  He has a few quotes about his reasons for leaving and coming to MU in the press leading up to the Final Four.
Funny, as I recall it, there were many quotes from Crean about him (2nd team all SEC?) being unable to make a layup, but none from Jackson.

You're saying he transferred so he could learn to make a layup? Maybe my mind is fuzzy, but he wasn't exactly filling the lanes on the fast break at MU. He was playing back to the basket, although Crean is (still) in love with having guys literally positioned directly beneath the basket...which is bizarre to me.

Regardless, Robert Jackson was successful because he was a total physical load and because he was surrounded by Wade and jump shooters. The fact that jackass Crean tried to claim he rebuilt him is just another part of his legend.

I would be interested in seeing a post where Robert Jackson said he could not make a left handed layup when he arrived in Milwaukee.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #45 on: January 29, 2015, 11:01:58 PM »

I think we were all desperately hoping that all of our former top rated recruits were studs that were held back by Buzz. I think only a few actually believed it to be true. In my opinion, this season has shown that was not the case. Ironically, the only ones who vastly improved were Derrick Juan, who were probably the 2 most maligned players in the history of scoop.
TAMU

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #46 on: January 29, 2015, 11:08:25 PM »

It's a crapshoot.  My biggest concern with that lineup is not enough outside shooting that is consistent and the most important one..a stud point guard.  Ain't going anywhere without a stud point guard.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #47 on: January 29, 2015, 11:11:03 PM »
Was that before or after he "re-taught" DWade?

I stand in awe...

Death on call

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #48 on: January 29, 2015, 11:11:51 PM »
Funny, as I recall it, there were many quotes from Crean about him (2nd team all SEC?) being unable to make a layup, but none from Jackson.

You're saying he transferred so he could learn to make a layup? Maybe my mind is fuzzy, but he wasn't exactly filling the lanes on the fast break at MU. He was playing back to the basket, although Crean is (still) in love with having guys literally positioned directly beneath the basket...which is bizarre to me.

Regardless, Robert Jackson was successful because he was a total physical load and because he was surrounded by Wade and jump shooters. The fact that jackass Crean tried to claim he rebuilt him is just another part of his legend.

I would be interested in seeing a post where Robert Jackson said he could not make a left handed layup when he arrived in Milwaukee.

I'm saying he transferred for many reasons, including his frustration with how he was playing and being used at Mississippi State.  Here's one example:

Jackson averaged 5.8 points and 3.8 rebounds that year, then had solid sophomore and junior seasons but wasn't happy.

"I just didn't feel like I was improving," he said. "I was doing things just because I was bigger and stronger than the other guys. But basically I was just playing with my back to the basket."

Stansbury granted Jackson's request to be released from his scholarship, and Jackson set his sights on Marquette and its new coach, Tom Crean.

"If you've only got one year left, why not go home?" Jackson said.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #49 on: January 29, 2015, 11:16:35 PM »

C'mon, Chico. That's horsesh1t and you know it!

Death on call

feedback