[Today at 07:02:21 AM]

Dallas bars tonite by Marquette Gyros
[Today at 06:59:41 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Jay Bee
[Today at 06:42:08 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 06:32:48 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: How bright is our future?  (Read 36332 times)

Celtic Truth

• Starter
  • THE TRUTH
How bright is our future?
« on: January 29, 2015, 11:53:56 AM »
About 6 months ago I was really confident that we would have a real solid chance of making the final 4 and maybe winning a championship in the next 2 years. I still think we will be really good but the future is a lot more uncertain. I thought guys like Deonte and JJJ were going to be the upperclassmen leaders/go-to-guys. This now doesn't look so encouraging.

I've been pleased with sandy, Duane, and Luke this year in their 1st years playing. However, I don't think these 3 will be ready to LEAD us to a championship next year. Just to young, inconsistent, and no tourney experience. I think they could be great role players on a great team but we need a proven veteran to lead us with our lack of upperclassmen talent next year. We desperately need Wojo to somehow find another guy like Carlino for next year. Or at least sign a talented Juco or 2.

I think henry is a legit talent and a stud, but it's really hard to predict exactly how good freshman will be. Best case scenario he is as good as Jahlil Okafor(leading candidate for POY), I know they have a different style. But if u added Okafor to our team this year I think we'd be real good but not a champion contender. I must dont think we can just assume that a great recruit is immediately going to lead us to the natty.

I like all of our other recruits but at this point it's really hard to predict what you're going to get from freshman. They could be solid contributors next year, or they might not even play, who knows.

I think Wojo's a great coach, I think our program is in great hands but I think there is a lot of work to be done before we are national championship contenders. I think the future looks bright and I'm excited to see what we can do in the future.

tower912

• All American
Re: How bright is our future?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2015, 11:55:17 AM »
Unknown.   Next year is not the year.    16-17 is the year.    That is the year we will finally know  (barring injuries) if Wojo can build a program and coach them up.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2015, 12:08:21 PM »
Respect the process.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

NotAnAlum

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2015, 12:09:19 PM »
Being confident about Final 4s and National Championships is a real stretch for any but the elite programs (Kentucky, Kansas, Louisville) and I really doubt MU will ever be at that level.  I think a realistic goal is to get back to where Buzz had us 2 years ago.  That is BE title contender, most of the time ranked or near the top 25, making the NCAA most years without being on the bubble, make noise in the tourney from time to time.  Those are realistic program goals and I would hope the program can get back to that point 2 years from now and then continue.  Once you get to that point you can have a year like the Badgers are now.  They achieved last year AND returned most of that team and THEREFORE they can claim to have a realistic chance at the NC this year.  So the program gets you competitive like Buzz did.  Then having reached that point when the stars align you have a chance to strike gold every now and then.  

Celtic Truth

• Starter
  • THE TRUTH
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2015, 12:13:33 PM »
Unknown.   Next year is not the year.    16-17 is the year.    That is the year we will finally know  (barring injuries) if Wojo can build a program and coach them up.   

I agree that if henry stays 16-17 is the year, but who knows how long he'll stay. I do have a good feeling thought that he will spend more than one year in blue and gold

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2015, 12:23:14 PM »
Being confident about Final 4s and National Championships is a real stretch for any but the elite programs (Kentucky, Kansas, Louisville) and I really doubt MU will ever be at that level.  I think a realistic goal is to get back to where Buzz had us 2 years ago.  That is BE title contender, most of the time ranked or near the top 25, making the NCAA most years without being on the bubble, make noise in the tourney from time to time.  Those are realistic program goals and I would hope the program can get back to that point 2 years from now and then continue.  Once you get to that point you can have a year like the Badgers are now.  They achieved last year AND returned most of that team and THEREFORE they can claim to have a realistic chance at the NC this year.  So the program gets you competitive like Buzz did.  Then having reached that point when the stars align you have a chance to strike gold every now and then.   

+1. 

Most of the time, it is a process.  Jim Calhoun was at UConn 12 years before he made a Final Four.  Boeheim was 11.  Coach K and Dean Smith were 6. 

IMO Henry's class is important not because it will win a championship, but because it is a building block in the process to get MU to that level.  (And if they catch lightning in a bottle, and things break their way, who knows?)

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2015, 12:29:06 PM »
Being confident about Final 4s and National Championships is a real stretch for any but the elite programs (Kentucky, Kansas, Louisville) and I really doubt MU will ever be at that level.  I think a realistic goal is to get back to where Buzz had us 2 years ago.  That is BE title contender, most of the time ranked or near the top 25, making the NCAA most years without being on the bubble, make noise in the tourney from time to time.  Those are realistic program goals and I would hope the program can get back to that point 2 years from now and then continue.  Once you get to that point you can have a year like the Badgers are now.  They achieved last year AND returned most of that team and THEREFORE they can claim to have a realistic chance at the NC this year.  So the program gets you competitive like Buzz did.  Then having reached that point when the stars align you have a chance to strike gold every now and then.  

+1

Sometimes it frustrates me that some folks aren't pleased with our program unless we're a Final 4 contender.  While she was in school I reminded my daughter that we had a historic run during her 4 years (two S16 followed by an Elite 8).  My son, merely 2 years younger, started with the great Elite 8 year but has suffered ever since.  Still, there he was in the good seats and on TV last night cheering on the Warriors.  (No, he doesn't wear a goofy outfit.)

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2015, 12:53:10 PM »
Future is bright, but (as always) it can always come crumbling down at a moment's notice.  A year ago, while struggling with the then-current team, everyone was excited because we had Ahmed Hill, Marial Shayok, Sandy Cohen and Satchel Pierce arriving - playing with Duane Wilson, JuJuan Johnson, Deonte Burton, Jameel McKay and Luke Fischer. 

A year later, our future is still bright - just with a different glare.  We have Henry and Wally Ellenson suiting up next year, along with Haanif Cheatham, Matt Heldt and (hopefully) Nick Noskowiak, possibly more (graduate transfer couldn't hurt). 

Part of the problem was the coaching change, but, even if Buzz had stayed (or changed his ways), we were probably looking at departures of Steve, JuJuan, Dawson and Deonte (anyways). 

We may not know who the players or coaches will be, but Marquette basketball will always have a bright future.  The amount the school spends on basketball, the school, the fans, the alumni, the history - none of that will go away.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2015, 01:12:38 PM »
IMO Henry's class is important not because it will win a championship, but because it is a building block in the process to get MU to that level.  (And if they catch lightning in a bottle, and things break their way, who knows?)

Exactly right. While a Final Four or National Championship would be awesome, more important is building sustained success so that you can dream of it on a regular basis. Not sure we'll ever get there, but my hope is that Henry's class is not the end game, but rather the standard we aspire to.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2015, 02:02:10 PM »
Wojo must keep recruiting great players. His second class will be e trembly important to the future and I have confidence in him that he will land a great second class.  Go Marquette

FartyEightHours

• Starter
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2015, 02:07:42 PM »
so bright I gotta wear shades indoors.
My adjectives are wise, brilliant, and sexy

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2015, 02:21:58 PM »
If Henry is all that, we will be legit immediately. Wade's first year he made a serviceable group look like world beaters. I thought that was his best MU team and capable of a FF run. Of course, we made it in year 2. Not saying Henry is Wade but if he's legit, he will make Fischer look like Bill Walton and Duane look like Dee Brown.

NotAnAlum

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2015, 02:32:51 PM »
If Henry is all that, we will be legit immediately. Wade's first year he made a serviceable group look like world beaters. I thought that was his best MU team and capable of a FF run. Of course, we made it in year 2. Not saying Henry is Wade but if he's legit, he will make Fischer look like Bill Walton and Duane look like Dee Brown.

That "serviceable group" included 2 guys who made it to the NBA and a transfer Senior Center who was on a path to be ALL-SEC if he had not transferred.  I'm not sure you can say that about next years roster as it currently stands.

WarriorPride68

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2015, 02:45:40 PM »
About 6 months ago I was really confident that we would have a real solid chance of making the final 4 and maybe winning a championship in the next 2 years.

Were you drunk?

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2015, 03:24:55 PM »
That "serviceable group" included 2 guys who made it to the NBA and a transfer Senior Center who was on a path to be ALL-SEC if he had not transferred.  I'm not sure you can say that about next years roster as it currently stands.

In Wade's first year the serviceable group Rican referenced was just that. Henry, Nnamaka, Blankson, Jon Harris, Merritt, etc. were solid, not spectacular. One other NBA guy, Diener, who was a frosh and played about half the time. Novak and Jackson arrived the following year.

hdog1017

• Team Captain
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2015, 03:27:22 PM »
Nnamaka was the most consistent player in the history of program.  They even named a Consistency Award after him under Crean. 

FartyEightHours

• Starter
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2015, 03:28:39 PM »
What color belt was Nnamaka when Crean was done molding him?
My adjectives are wise, brilliant, and sexy

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2015, 04:00:07 PM »
Here's the key----one 5 star recruit, can lead to others.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2015, 04:13:16 PM »
Do "I gotta' wear shades"?

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2015, 05:36:58 PM »
Nnamaka was the most consistent player in the history of program.  They even named a Consistency Award after him under Crean. 
That is a joke. The only thing consistent about Nnamaka was his ole" defense.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2015, 07:17:49 PM »
Things certainly look more grim than I anticipated at this point. I am still hopeful for next season. Winning makes CBB so much better - a 3rd underwhelming year in a row would really suck.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2015, 07:30:25 PM »
In Wade's first year the serviceable group Rican referenced was just that. Henry, Nnamaka, Blankson, Jon Harris, Merritt, etc. were solid, not spectacular. One other NBA guy, Diener, who was a frosh and played about half the time. Novak and Jackson arrived the following year.
Thank you.

By the way, when Robert Jackson arrived the following year, Crean claimed he could barely make a layup...had to "re-teach" him as I recall.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2015, 08:05:01 PM »
Thank you.

By the way, when Robert Jackson arrived the following year, Crean claimed he could barely make a layup...had to "re-teach" him as I recall.

Was that before or after he "re-taught" DWade?

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2015, 08:07:14 PM »

Were you drunk?

That sums up what I thought when I read that to!

GoldenZebra

• All American
« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2015, 08:09:38 PM »
Cant get too hyped too early...its happened before and we've seen what happens. I think it'd be reasonable to expect a tournament team next year...