[Today at 01:00:36 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by onepost
[Today at 12:53:48 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by MU82
[Today at 12:50:47 PM]

Shaka 2024-2025 by wadesworld
[Today at 09:00:02 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: I'm A Chief Fan!  (Read 9393 times)

Tugg Speedman

• All American
I'm A Chief Fan!
« on: January 28, 2015, 10:57:44 PM »
Everything I see from "The Chief" Sandy Cohen I like.  Dare I say I might be getting a man crush on him!

I like his attitude.  He can hit the 3-point shot.  I like his decision making (now remember he is still a freshman so adjust this statement accordingly).

After Ahmed Hill, he is looking like the second best player of the original recruiting class last year. 

And if the biggest jump a player make is between his freshman and Sophomore year, I can't wait to see what next year brings.

I'm really glad he stayed with MU

Thoughts!

HutchwasClutch

• All American
Re: I'm A Chief Fan!
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2015, 11:08:55 PM »
Yes, I've loved his game from when I first saw him play at MU.  And with his length is going to cause a lot of problems defensively for teams the next three years.  He's a major piece to the rebuilding puzzle, and absolutely glad that he didn't get away following Buzz's departure.  A multi-talented player for sure.  Any school in America would love to have him. 
« Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 11:26:15 PM by HutchwasClutch »

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2015, 12:05:59 AM »
After Hill?

Sorry but Shayok and Cohen I would both prefer to Hill.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2015, 04:50:37 AM »
Agree.  Sandy is very talented.  He plays very smooth and consistent.  His potential is off the charts. He can shoot the three.  He can drive to the basket.  He steals the ball on defense.  He can play multi positions.  Thank God he is a true Warrior.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2015, 06:23:54 AM »
In Hill, Shayok, and Cohen, Buzz had landed 3 talented wings.  Pierce was going to back up Luke.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2015, 07:26:34 AM »
If there is any place on a limited roster where we can "play for the future", it's letting Cohen roll as much as possible.

I like his attitude.

And if the biggest jump a player make is between his freshman and Sophomore year, I can't wait to see what next year brings.

Also impressed with his attitude and demeanor.  Has a quiet confidence that you like to see in a freshman, and will probably become more of a leader when he's the veteran and there are 4+ freshmen on the team next year.  

After Ahmed Hill Marial Shayok, he is looking like the second best player of the original recruiting class last year.

FIFY
« Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 07:33:07 AM by chapman »

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2015, 07:59:02 AM »
If there is any place on a limited roster where we can "play for the future", it's letting Cohen roll as much as possible.

I disagree. Not about letting Cohen roll, I agree with that, but I disagree that it is us playing for the future. He is one of the guys that makes us better NOW and playing him is playing for the present. Big East stats:

MPG: 18.4
PPG: 6.1
RPG: 1.4
APG: 1.0
FG%: 48.4
3P%: 42.1%

Those numbers are all at least on par with or an incremental increase over his season numbers with the exception of 3P%, which is still excellent. It's great to see a freshman increase his minutes and scoring as we get into the toughest part of the season, and adding the ability to drive has really improved his offensive game.

For someone with his length, I'd like to see him hit the glass harder, especially on the offensive end, but that should come as he adds strength. He seems to have a high basketball IQ and really understands the value of a possession.

He is the perfect example of how you earn minutes and trust from a coaching staff. Just doing all the right things.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2015, 08:02:11 AM »
Watching Sandy grow game by game and seeing Steve get his confidence back are my two reasons for staying interested the rest of this year.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2015, 08:18:26 AM »
Sandy just seems to "get it." He plays hard, he rarely tries to do too much, he's not afraid to fire from the perimeter, his minutes dipped but he kept plugging away and he's being rewarded for it. He really looks like he's going to be an excellent player for MU.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2015, 08:37:56 AM »
He is a nice player but my expectations are that in two years he will still be a role player. He looks good on a poor squad and not sold him being a big time player just yet.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2015, 08:44:46 AM »
He is a nice player but my expectations are that in two years he will still be a role player. He looks good on a poor squad and not sold him being a big time player just yet.

Agree Goose. He's a very good shooter but he has a low/slow release so he's only effective when wide open. And while a very good athlete he's not an explosive one. I'd project solid role player but not a star.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2015, 09:22:06 AM »
Agree Goose. He's a very good shooter but he has a low/slow release so he's only effective when wide open. And while a very good athlete he's not an explosive one. I'd project solid role player but not a star.

Not sure what "star" means.

Sandy can shoot the  3(18 for 42 or 43%).  His percentage is the essentially the same as Carlino (44%).

He will be our best shooter next year.  He will start every game.  He might be a starter again before this year is out.

Not and "explosive athlete?  The state champion in the triple jump that turned down D1 scholarships in track is not "explosive"?  Maybe what you see is a Freshman not ready to play all out because he more afraid to make mistakes.  Maybe when he gains the confidence of a Sophomore or Junior this statement will look wrong.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2015, 09:29:01 AM »

Sandy can shoot the  3(18 for 42 or 43%).  His percentage is the essentially the same as Carlino (44%).

Everyone in America knows Carlino is going to shoot it and he still connects on 44%.  Sandy often times gets to hang on the weak side and wait for the swing pass.  They get two completely different looks, for the most part.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2015, 09:29:31 AM »
Not sure what "star" means.

He will be our best shooter next year.  He will start every game.  He might be a starter again before this year is out.

Are you thinking at the #3 (stretch #4) essentially replacing Juan?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2015, 09:36:52 AM »
Sandy's high end:  A slightly worse Jimmy Butler
Sandy's low end:  A slightly better Joe Chapman

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2015, 09:42:03 AM »

I was thinking Dan Fitzgerald on the lower end. I'm not sure if Sandy can get his body to the point that he can consistently maintain body control after contact like Jimmy could. That'll be interesting to see.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2015, 09:44:25 AM »

Not and "explosive athlete?  The state champion in the triple jump that turned down D1 scholarships in track is not "explosive"?  Maybe what you see is a Freshman not ready to play all out because he more afraid to make mistakes.  Maybe when he gains the confidence of a Sophomore or Junior this statement will look wrong.

Maybe. Sure hope so.

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2015, 09:45:21 AM »
Jimmy Butler wasn't Jimmy Butler at the same stage in his career.  

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2015, 09:47:23 AM »
Jimmy Butler wasn't Jimmy Butler at the same stage in his career. 

Jimmy could always defend and rebound though.

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2015, 09:51:16 AM »

Jimmy could always defend and rebound though.
Yes, but did you see him at his JUCO year?

Not disagreeing with you, just saying give Sandy another year before comparing him to JFB.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2015, 09:51:31 AM »
All for playing sandy as much as possible. But where do the minutes come from?

Juan and Derrick? No chance, Seniors and Wojo will continue to play them.
At the 5: So what heve we gained there?No, Luke and Taylor are there.
The next logical choice would then be Duane. What are we gaining there?

I am not the coach, but the logical spot would be with Juan. Make it a 20/20 minute split
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

FartyEightHours

• Starter
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2015, 09:51:45 AM »
He needs to bulk up a little.  He's a scrawny Danny Green type right now.
My adjectives are wise, brilliant, and sexy

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2015, 09:55:10 AM »
Yes, but did you see him at his JUCO year?

Not disagreeing with you, just saying give Sandy another year before comparing him to JFB.

Good lord, I wasn't really comparing them.  I was saying that his *ceiling* is a "slightly worse Jimmy Butler."

I didn't say he was going to be JFB.  I didn't even say he was going to turn out to be a "slightly worse Jimmy Butler." 

g0lden3agle

• All American
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2015, 09:56:14 AM »
All for playing sandy as much as possible. But where do the minutes come from?

Juan and Derrick? No chance, Seniors and Wojo will continue to play them.
At the 5: So what heve we gained there?No, Luke and Taylor are there.
The next logical choice would then be Duane. What are we gaining there?

I am not the coach, but the logical spot would be with Juan. Make it a 20/20 minute split

I agree with this.  Early on in the season I thought Sandy was going to start taking minutes away from Juan.  Then Juan went beast mode and had a solid month or so.  Now that he's crashing back to reality I truly think that becomes more of a split if Sandy continues to excel.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2015, 10:09:59 AM »
Sandy is averaging 24 mpg in the last three contests. He's getting minutes, making the most of them, why is anyone saying "where will the minutes come from?" when they are already there?  ?-(
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.