Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 12:10:57 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: MU in the 2nd Half of BE Games  (Read 6162 times)

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
MU in the 2nd Half of BE Games
« on: January 28, 2015, 10:29:21 PM »
  • In all Big East games, outscored in 2nd, 345-272 or 27% less
  • MU has been outscored in all games in the 2nd (wins and losses) except PC
  • In all BE losses, the gap was 281-205, or 37% less
  • In the last for games, all losses, the back half gap is 45% (213-147)

MU came out of the locker room tonight with about seven minutes on the half time clock.  Music was playing and the band kicked in but was drowned out as it was so early. I never remember a team coming out that early. With Buzz, it was always about a minute before the starting buzzer. In the first ten minutes of the 2nd half tonight, MU was outscored 29-13 so clearly the extended shooting didn't mentally or physically prepare them.

Frankly, in time outs, pregame and in the press, I don't see the engagement of assistants as involved in the gameplan or huddles as they were with Crean or Buzz. MU is losing leads and games out of the half time locker room. Michigan State is another example where MU is getting schooled. Something for a rookie coach and staff to learn from...

murara1994

• Starter
Re: MU in the 2nd Half of BE Games
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2015, 10:37:00 PM »
I guess.

Then again it could have nothing to do with 'engagement of the assistants' or the amount of time spent talking in the locker room.

Correlation does not equal causation.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2015, 10:43:50 PM »
I guess.

Then again it could have nothing to do with 'engagement of the assistants' or the amount of time spent talking in the locker room.

Correlation does not equal causation.

So what about the first half? What is different in the 2nd as MU seems to compete well out of the box? What adjustments are you seeing out of halftime that I am not seeing? Out of defensive time outs? As tonight proved, it is not depth and tired legs as SHU played six.

murara1994

• Starter
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2015, 11:05:45 PM »
So what about the first half? What is different in the 2nd as MU seems to compete well out of the box? What adjustments are you seeing out of halftime that I am not seeing? Out of defensive time outs? As tonight proved, it is not depth and tired legs as SHU played six.
Who knows. You started this inane thread. Don't you have any answers?

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2015, 11:10:38 PM »
Who knows. You started this inane thread. Don't you have any answers?

Sorry, thought this was a basketball discussion forum...how about a box and one on the guy who couldn't miss?  Or trying to establish the post to draw fouls instead of using your center to high pick every time in the half court. You know, like coaching adjustments like Willard did. Inane things like that.

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2015, 11:32:23 PM »
In general, our opponents have made better half time adjustments that we have.  By the second half, they've figured out our zone D, who can shoot, and how to stop us.  My fear isas we play teams in the big east the second time, they will have this knowledge in the first half. 

We play hard, but need more talent to make it work. We can still win de. So let's do it.  Go Marquette!

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2015, 12:01:33 AM »
I really don't see what half time has to do with it...

In Georgetown game we outscored them 42-36 in the actual second half.  You cannot count overtime as there is another break.

In the St. John's game they outscored us by 1 (34-33) in the second half.  We actually did better than the first half as they lead by two at half.

In the Xavier game, yes we lead by nine at half but we still had a 7 point lead with 11 minutes to go in the game.  So it was really the last 11 minutes that the wheels fell off.

In the Creighton game, we had a seven point lead at half and still had a 5 point lead with 16 minutes to go.  Creighton then went on the lead by four before we came back to win in the second half.

In the first G'Town game, we were down by 5 at half, and were outscored by 1 in the second half.

As was mentioned, the Providence game was tied at half, and we outscored the Friars by nine in the second half.

In the DePaul game we were up by six at half and were up by 10 with ten minutes to go.  Then the wheels fell off.

I am just not seeing coming out of half-time as the problem.  Perhaps with ten minutes to go in the game.... yes.  But not half-time.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2015, 06:26:08 AM »
The coaching staff is a work in progress, too.    Clearly, the other more experience coaches are making adjustments.   MU's list of adjustments is short.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2015, 10:34:21 AM »
The coaching staff is a work in progress, too.    Clearly, the other more experience coaches are making adjustments.   MU's list of adjustments is short.   

We used to bitch about Buzz's in game adjustments though.

I do think that Wojo has a pretty inexperienced staff though and that Dr. Blackheart has a point.

WarriorInNYC

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2015, 10:43:37 AM »
I really don't see what half time has to do with it...

In Georgetown game we outscored them 42-36 in the actual second half.  You cannot count overtime as there is another break.

In the St. John's game they outscored us by 1 (34-33) in the second half.  We actually did better than the first half as they lead by two at half.

In the Xavier game, yes we lead by nine at half but we still had a 7 point lead with 11 minutes to go in the game.  So it was really the last 11 minutes that the wheels fell off.

In the Creighton game, we had a seven point lead at half and still had a 5 point lead with 16 minutes to go.  Creighton then went on the lead by four before we came back to win in the second half.

In the first G'Town game, we were down by 5 at half, and were outscored by 1 in the second half.

As was mentioned, the Providence game was tied at half, and we outscored the Friars by nine in the second half.

In the DePaul game we were up by six at half and were up by 10 with ten minutes to go.  Then the wheels fell off.

I am just not seeing coming out of half-time as the problem.  Perhaps with ten minutes to go in the game.... yes.  But not half-time.

And to the Xavier game, the difference between the halves seemed to be that Xavier started making their open 3's.  The first half zone was working great, causing some turnovers, but the biggest part of the success was X was missing their open 3's.  Second half they started making them and that was the big difference.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2015, 10:59:44 AM »
Every coach is going to look good and like he's made great adjustments when his team rains 3s coming out of the half and every coach is going to look bad and like he was "outcoached" when the opposition rains 3s coming out of the half.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2015, 11:04:44 AM »

We used to bitch about Buzz's in game adjustments though.

I do think that Wojo has a pretty inexperienced staff though and that Dr. Blackheart has a point.

Others did.  While not perfect, I thought Buzz was better than Crean.   And I think he is better than Wojo.   But Wojo can learn. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2015, 11:20:19 AM »
Every coach is going to look good and like he's made great adjustments when his team rains 3s coming out of the half and every coach is going to look bad and like he was "outcoached" when the opposition rains 3s coming out of the half.

Absolutely true.  And Carlino and Duane made Wojo look like a very good coach against GTown.  Don't think anyone here would have some concern as to what we'd look like if Carlino started to have rather pedestrian game - which he had against Seton Hall.  Combine that with Duane struggling - no wonder we were blown out.  Team HAS to find a 3rd scoring option.  Perhaps Cohen can be that guy.  Would still like to see JJJ given 30 minutes to see how he plays with long runs.  JJJ is a guy that needs to get into a flow - much like Mayo was - and many players are.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

robmufan

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2015, 02:19:11 PM »
Might be a silly thing to think...but any chance rolling out mainly 6-7 players through a Big East schedule...the 2nd half they are getting tired?

tower912

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2015, 04:48:12 PM »
Don't say that.   We R final 4 will mock you.   

mattyv1908

• All American
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2015, 05:22:29 PM »
You guys need to realize we don't have a single player player in the top 250 in terms of minutes played per game.  The team plays twice a week often times with 3 days or more of rest.  Let's not act like these guys are middle aged men
Shut this board down at the opening tip.  If they win, open it back up.  If they lose, keep it shut it down until the next morning.  - Sultan of Slurpery

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2015, 05:26:19 PM »
Might be a silly thing to think...but any chance rolling out mainly 6-7 players through a Big East schedule...the 2nd half they are getting tired?

You ate right. Silly. Seton Hall played 6, 4 Frosh, and kicked out ass. Excuses are the same. There are problems!
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2015, 07:32:17 PM »
The last game was the first game I thought about it and now I am going to pay more attention to it. I am not sure, but I believe one official is basically under one basket, another official is basically under the other basket. The reason I thought about it was in the first half there were very few fouls called on MU and certainly more were called on Seton Hall. In the second half it was the other way around. I did not pay close enough attention in the first half to remember, which officials were under which baskets, but it occurred to me to make things fair the same official should be making the calls under the same basket each half. Basically, official "A" who was under the basket on your offensive end in the first half will be under the basket on your defensive end in the second half. Assuming this is the case MU in the first half had an official on the defensive end that did not call a lot of fouls and in the second half they had the official on the defensive end that was calling the fouls. It makes the game seem unevenly officiated, but it really is not. However, it certainly can have an effect on how the team performs in each half.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2015, 07:43:34 PM »
In general, our opponents have made better half time adjustments that we have.  By the second half, they've figured out our zone D, who can shoot, and how to stop us.  My fear is as we play teams in the big east the second time, they will have this knowledge in the first half. 

Teams scout the hell out of each other. We have played the same zone for months now. And every opponent knows about Carlino.

There are no secrets.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2015, 09:54:15 PM »

There is one poster who completely agrees with you.

Nevada233

• All American
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2015, 10:06:31 PM »
Sorry, thought this was a basketball discussion forum...how about a box and one on the guy who couldn't miss?  Or trying to establish the post to draw fouls instead of using your center to high pick every time in the half court. You know, like coaching adjustments like Willard did. Inane things like that.

Your right....

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2015, 10:30:02 PM »
Counting OT, Providence at home (after free throws) is the only game where MU has outscored an opponent in the back half of a BE game this entire season. With SH, MU was able to gain a three point game or less notch on their belt, though, after a long run of frustration. Incredibly close and unlucky but turning in our favor.

#heartburn

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2015, 04:03:26 PM »
The answer is simple, Marquette starts playing to not lose in the 2nd half instead of to win.

Sharpie

• Team Captain
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2015, 05:51:56 PM »
We all knew this season was going to be a work in progress from the players to the coaches. We only have 8 scholarship players. That may be a reason why we appear to be gassed in the second half. At some point players need to step up and grow. A few bounces or lucky break here and there and we would all be ecstatic at how this season has progressed. I would say it's going how most figured it would given the lack of height and players we had going into the season. Respect the process. Wojo is looking for long term sustainable success and I feel he was a great hire and we'll continue to see MU improve as this year and the years go on.

feedback