[Today at 07:54:34 PM]

Where is Marquette? by MU Fan in Connecticut
[Today at 07:52:45 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by MarquetteVol
[Today at 07:30:33 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Goose
[Today at 07:05:04 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Pirates Thoughts  (Read 25248 times)

GGGG

• All American
Re: Pirates Thoughts
« Reply #75 on: January 29, 2015, 09:20:52 AM »
I don't disagree, as I am disappointed as well, but for now, I'd just chalk it up to being a late bloomer. He's still less than 1/2 way through his career. He could have a great summer of workouts and come back next season as a good player. As frustrated as I am, I don't think I can throw something like "uncoachable" out there (yet).

However, just to be clear, I don't ever expect him to be all-conf. like some people. But, that also doesn't mean he's a mid-major player either.

I spent some time last night going back and reading up on his recruitment.  I came across an article like this:

http://www.commercialappeal.com/sports/high-school/recruiting-insider-southwind-junior-explodes-a

He was a 2013 unranked prospect until the summer before his senior year, who exploded on the scene due to his AAU performance - a type of game that likely fit his skills.  

This is the problem with players like this.  We can hope and pray that they are "late-bloomers" (like we are with Sacar Anim), but oftentimes they turnout to simply have gotten real good at the right time in a moment that fit their skills.

Believe me, I would like nothing better than for JJJ to stay and prove me wrong.  But when I see Duane, I see a player who is generally fundamentally sound and is usually making smart decisions, but lacks the experience and consistency to dominate.  I simply don't see that with JJJ.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #76 on: January 29, 2015, 09:28:54 AM »
I don't disagree, as I am disappointed as well, but for now, I'd just chalk it up to being a late bloomer. He's still less than 1/2 way through his career. He could have a great summer of workouts and come back next season as a good player. As frustrated as I am, I don't think I can throw something like "uncoachable" out there (yet).

However, just to be clear, I don't ever expect him to be all-conf. like some people. But, that also doesn't mean he's a mid-major player either.

Play devil's advocate, it's also possible that, like Sultan alluded to, JJJ already was a late-bloomer and he's maxed out.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #77 on: January 29, 2015, 09:35:49 AM »
Believe me, I would like nothing better than for JJJ to stay and prove me wrong.  But when I see Duane, I see a player who is generally fundamentally sound and is usually making smart decisions, but lacks the experience and consistency to dominate.  

And I see a guy that is easing into a leadership role. The staff was on him to be more vocal on the court (especially on defense) and he's responded well. They'll ride through his ups and downs offensively, because they know he'll do what they need him to do.

Jajuan's biggest problem has been the same over two seasons now. When he scores right away, he's engaged on both ends. When he doesn't, he checks out. That's why Duane gets far more rope.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #78 on: January 29, 2015, 09:50:32 AM »
And I see a guy that is easing into a leadership role. The staff was on him to be more vocal on the court (especially on defense) and he's responded well. They'll ride through his ups and downs offensively, because they know he'll do what they need him to do.

Agreed.  Duane was jawing at SH players and later his own on the press, demanding that they get a steal.  He was directing Luke on where he should be on the block in certain sets.  It was great to see last night.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #79 on: January 29, 2015, 09:54:34 AM »
An overtime or two from a triple double! More than a few heads would have exploded had he became the first MU player to do it since D Wade.
But he did not do it. C'mon man, don't try to sneak a Wade comparison in there.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #80 on: January 29, 2015, 10:01:47 AM »
Play devil's advocate, it's also possible that, like Sultan alluded to, JJJ already was a late-bloomer and he's maxed out.

Totally fair. The kid may never be a high level D1 player.

I guess for me, I don't ever expect him to be an all-conf. type player, but I think he still has potential to be pretty good/solid as an upper classman.

I know some people hate Derrick and/or Juan, but to me, those are important players. Those type of players provide continuity and build the culture of the program. Then, when you add star-level talent, you have a good mix and can compete at a high level. MU isn't Kentucky. They can't rebuild the program every year. You need some solid veterans that can provide minutes.

Examples of what I'm talking about: Ousmane, Jon Harris, Cooby, Acker, Burke, etc.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 10:04:19 AM by Canned Goods n Ammo »

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #81 on: January 29, 2015, 10:02:39 AM »
An overtime or two from a triple double! More than a few heads would have exploded had he became the first MU player to do it since D Wade.

I believe he had 4/6/4 at halftime and I was thinking if Derrick got hot in the second he could do it. Instead, almost everyone got ice cold.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #82 on: January 29, 2015, 10:08:34 AM »
I know some people hate Derrick and/or Juan, but to me, those are important players. Those type of players provide continuity and build the culture of the program. Then, when you add star-level talent, you have a good mix and can compete at a high level. MU isn't Kentucky. They can't rebuild the program every year. You need some solid veterans that can provide minutes.

Examples of what I'm talking about: Ousmane, Jon Harris, Cooby, Acker, Burke, etc.

I agree with you, but the problem I see with JJJ compared to those types is that they generally did *something* well.  They worked hard, usually played smart, could defend, etc.  Even early in their careers you could say "OK, this guy is clearly not a star, but I can see how he could be a cog in the machine."

The problem with JJJ is that I really can't say, outside of being an athlete, *what* he does well right now.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #83 on: January 29, 2015, 10:35:01 AM »
I agree with you, but the problem I see with JJJ compared to those types is that they generally did *something* well.  They worked hard, usually played smart, could defend, etc.  Even early in their careers you could say "OK, this guy is clearly not a star, but I can see how he could be a cog in the machine."

The problem with JJJ is that I really can't say, outside of being an athlete, *what* he does well right now.

Steals is a strength of his. The only issue is when he bites so hard on a steal attempt that he ends up near the halfcourt line
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #84 on: January 29, 2015, 10:37:16 AM »

Totally fair.

My honest assessment: The kid is a bit of a mess right now.

He doesn't have a signature skill (as you have pointed out), but he has some overall abilities that could make him a good player as he matures, adds strength, gets smarter, etc.

He's actually a bit like Juan. Juan didn't really have a signature skill, but seemed to be "okay" at everything. As Juan has matured, he's not an all-conf. player, but he's certainly a good role player.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #85 on: January 29, 2015, 10:37:56 AM »
Steals is a strength of his. The only issue is when he bites so hard on a steal attempt that he ends up near the halfcourt line

Steals without being an adequate positional defender are fool's gold.  You give up way more than you get.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #86 on: January 29, 2015, 10:40:20 AM »
Totally fair.

My honest assessment: The kid is a bit of a mess right now.

He doesn't have a signature skill (as you have pointed out), but he has some overall abilities that could make him a good player as he matures, adds strength, gets smarter, etc.

He's actually a bit like Juan. Juan didn't really have a signature skill, but seemed to be "okay" at everything. As Juan has matured, he's not an all-conf. player, but he's certainly a good role player.

I understand that.  On the one hand, I do hope that JJJ can become Juan.  That would be an improvement.

On the other hand, I hope we won't have to rely on players like Juan to give us 25+ minutes two years from now.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #87 on: January 29, 2015, 10:48:10 AM »

This is why I feel Duane needs to play with Derrick as much as possible. All this "play for next year" talk only works if the guys playing for next year are benefiting, and I believe Duane will benefit a ton being on the court with Derrick. No one is better at making defensive calls and getting guys into position better than Derrick. Duane is starting to be more vocal and playing with a guy who excels at that will prepare him better for next year and beyond when this is truly his team.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #88 on: January 29, 2015, 10:49:06 AM »

I understand that.  On the one hand, I do hope that JJJ can become Juan.  That would be an improvement.

On the other hand, I hope we won't have to rely on players like Juan to give us 25+ minutes two years from now.

I think Juan could be a good role player on a good team.

MU's problem is the lack of high end talent right now.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #89 on: January 29, 2015, 11:11:39 AM »

Steals without being an adequate positional defender are fool's gold.  You give up way more than you get.

See:   Burton, Deonte, circa 2013-14
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #90 on: January 29, 2015, 11:16:25 AM »
I think Juan could be a good role player on a good team.

MU's problem is the lack of high end talent right now.

Todd Townsend was a starter on a Final Four team. Good teams most definitely have room for players like Juan. However, problems arise when a team has to count on energy role players to be primary scoring options.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #91 on: January 29, 2015, 12:20:38 PM »

Bingo.  Nailed it on the head.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #92 on: January 29, 2015, 01:00:56 PM »

Opinion.

"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #93 on: January 29, 2015, 02:32:39 PM »
Should have put in teal. Fatigue is a common excuse around here.

I feel fatigued after reading this thread. And it's not an excuse.

feedback