[April 25, 2024, 09:43:05 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by Uncle Rico
[April 25, 2024, 05:51:25 PM]

Campus camp-out with cool flags? by FreewaysBurnerAccount
[April 25, 2024, 04:52:25 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[April 25, 2024, 02:51:03 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Pirates Thoughts  (Read 25507 times)

tower912

• All American
Pirates Thoughts
« on: January 28, 2015, 07:55:44 PM »
1.   Too long a stretch with MU doing nothing on offense or defense.
2.   For a stretch, it was the first time all year that it didn't look like MU was competing.
3.   The refs were incompetent.    MU sucked, but those refs, and one in particular, brutal.
4.   Too little, too late, but at least MU showed energy down the stretch. 
5.   MU did a great job of getting assists on made baskets.    Just not enough of them. 
6.  SH's 3pt % was like G-town's FT %.   An outlier compared to their seasonal average.
7.  I'm torn between thinking that Wojo might as well give JJJ extended run when everything else is going wrong and not wanting to reward lousy play.   But everyone was lousy for awhile, so I can see both sides.
8.  I predicted 14 wins.   Sticking with it. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
Re: Pirates Thoughts
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2015, 08:03:18 PM »
1.   Too long a stretch with MU doing nothing on offense or defense.
2.   For a stretch, it was the first time all year that it didn't look like MU was competing.
3.   The refs were incompetent.    MU sucked, but those refs, and one in particular, brutal.
4.   Too little, too late, but at least MU showed energy down the stretch. 
5.   MU did a great job of getting assists on made baskets.    Just not enough of them. 
6.  SH's 3pt % was like G-town's FT %.   An outlier compared to their seasonal average.
7.  I'm torn between thinking that Wojo might as well give JJJ extended run when everything else is going wrong and not wanting to reward lousy play.   But everyone was lousy for awhile, so I can see both sides.
8.  I predicted 14 wins.   Sticking with it. 

Regarding 7. It's what me and Jesmu were talking on the game thread.

It really is a fine line. He can't completely abandon his principles but at sometime he has to tell the seniors this ain't getting done. Still be leaders but I am going to distribute PT more to give the young guys are run. Bring Juan down to about 20-22 minutes...boost JJJ and Sandy. Bring derrick down just a tad.

Just my opinion. Nothing to lose, would just like to see some guys gain some confidence for next year. Like maybe steve is?
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2015, 08:05:09 PM »
JJJ hasn't improved one bit in a season and a half.  Why would an extended run be any different?  Sandy shows how you can earn time by playing better.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2015, 08:05:23 PM »
Pretty ugly tonight.
Derrick played well, but he has the touch of a blacksmith at the FT line.
Time to go with man to man. Zone is not cutting it.
Juan had two garbage baskets at the end. Where are those when we need them?
Overall, that was our worst game of the season.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2015, 08:06:30 PM »
But do you give minutes to young guys who's production is less than that of the seniors?    Derrick went for 10pts, 8 assists, 7 rebounds tonight.   He produced.    Do you forcefeed JJJ minutes?   What message does THAT send?    No easy choices.  
« Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 08:16:00 PM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

nyg

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2015, 08:07:05 PM »
SH 13 for 26 from three. Ballgame

MU had only 9 turnovers to Halls 15

Duane 3 for 13, not like last game.

Luke had 6 fg attempts.

Interesting to see how JJJ's rest of season goes.........for next year, maybe

They tried hard, but don't have the horses yet.  

I was one of two who predicted 5 BE wins, hoped I be wrong, but we'll see. Keep cheering them on.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2015, 08:09:53 PM »
JJJ hasn't improved one bit in a season and a half.

The same could be said about Vander Blue at this point in his sophomore year - although he was slightly better as a sophomore than freshman (when he was really bad.)

JJJ is a headcase on the floor at this point - and I believe Wojo should shoulder a good chunk of that burden.  You can't play mind games with players, and have short hooks, leashes, and yank them in and out, bench them for a game, etc., and expect the player to give you any kind of solid performance.  JJJ is as tight as can be out there - and with good reason.  Virtually ever player on this team, perhaps other than Carlino, has had multiple brutal games/stretches this season.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

Shark

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2015, 08:12:44 PM »
The same could be said about Vander Blue at this point in his sophomore year - although he was slightly better as a sophomore than freshman (when he was really bad.)

JJJ is a headcase on the floor at this point - and I believe Wojo should shoulder a good chunk of that burden.  You can't play mind games with players, and have short hooks, leashes, and yank them in and out, bench them for a game, etc., and expect the player to give you any kind of solid performance.  JJJ is as tight as can be out there - and with good reason.  Virtually ever player on this team, perhaps other than Carlino, has had multiple brutal games/stretches this season.

I know your intent is good...but let's not act like JJJ is earning anything out there. I want him to figure it out, I really do, but he is brutal. He's missing layups, shooting contested threes (that he already is normally bad at), and he isn't playing good defense. He's gotta earn something. Sandy started out on a leash and he is playing phenomenal if you ask me.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2015, 08:12:51 PM »

Sandy got benched for a game. Looks just fine.

Unless you've spoken to JJJ, you can't possibly know with 100% certainty what is going on in his head.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2015, 08:14:18 PM »
http://scores.espn.go.com/ncb/boxscore?gameId=400588434

5-11 FT'ing.   Derrick was 2-5, but at least he got to the line.   Luke 0-2.   

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2015, 08:14:56 PM »
But do you give minutes to young guys who's production is less than that of the seniors?    Derrick went for 10-7-7 tonight.   He produced.    Do you forcefeed JJJ minutes?   What message does THAT send?    No easy choices.  

For Derrick not much because he's not really being punished. I just said maybe move him back to 30ish minutes. It's still about building a program. It is more Juan who should have minutes regressed. He is completely lost on offense and wont shoot open 3s then chucks balls off back boards.

Juan deserves good minutes still...just not close to 35.

Really have nothing to lose

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2015, 08:15:21 PM »
Sandy got benched for a game. Looks just fine.

Unless you've spoken to JJJ, you can't possibly know with 100% certainty what is going on in his head.
Hey, watch yourself jesmu.  Ners played in high school.
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

Warrior Code

• All American
  • Undefeated since 1960
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2015, 08:16:29 PM »
SH 13 for 26 from three. Ballgame

MU had only 9 turnovers to Halls 15

Duane 3 for 13, not like last game.

Luke had 6 fg attempts.

Interesting to see how JJJ's rest of season goes.........for next year, maybe

They tried hard, but don't have the horses yet.  

I was one of two who predicted 5 BE wins, hoped I be wrong, but we'll see. Keep cheering them on.

Always.
Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.

Shark

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2015, 08:16:33 PM »
http://scores.espn.go.com/ncb/boxscore?gameId=400588434

5-11 FT'ing.   Derrick was 2-5, but at least he got to the line.   Luke 0-2.   

This has been an issue all year. This has gotta be the first jump-shooting reliant MU team in a while and I really miss when we forced the other team into foul trouble. Seton Hall only played 6 guys today if I saw correctly. So any foul trouble would have really forced their hand.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2015, 08:16:54 PM »
But do you give minutes to young guys who's production is less than that of the seniors?    Derrick went for 10-7-7 tonight.   He produced.    Do you forcefeed JJJ minutes?   What message does THAT send?    No easy choices.  

Derrick had a GREAT game tonight...by Derrick standards.  Yet he still hasn't made a midrange jump shot all year.  He's made exactly 7 baskets other than layups thus far for the season.  That's some pretty big holes in the game of a 34 minute per game player.

As for giving the underclassmen more minutes?  The message it sends is:  We are investing in our future, because the present isn't taking us anywhere.

Wojo and JJJ need to get on the same page.  Feel Wojo needs to see what he has in JJJ and tell him, I'm giving you a long leash.  Bust your ass in practice and in the games.  But - I'm going to see what you can do with 30 minutes.  Let the player know it going into a game.  JJJ's confidence is in the toilet right now.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

Atticus

• All American
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2015, 08:17:22 PM »
A six man rotation for SHU tonight...

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2015, 08:17:30 PM »
And of course. the game we finally take care of the ball nicely...the other team is lights out.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2015, 08:18:09 PM »
JJJ's D is still brutal--regardless of those who only read the box score and don't watch the game have to say. And in bad D and several missed shots on the Off end.......that's not the formula for extended playing time.
Sandy makes mistakes but is engaged and can hit from deep.

Tums Festival

• All American
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2015, 08:20:31 PM »
The main difference between Blue and JJJ that a certain poster has conveniently forgotten is Blue played very good defense and JJJ not so much.
"Every day ends with a Tums festival!"

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2015, 08:20:50 PM »
*  Wojo stuck with the zone far too long.
*  I hope JJJ starts to play better, we need him.  I liked his energy on defense but jacking up contested threes when you are already 0-12 isn't the way to go about it
*  Sandy is progressing every game. Nice work from the freshman
*  Derrick led the team in both assists and rebounds.  
* Nice balance from SH
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2015, 08:21:20 PM »
A six man rotation for SHU tonight...

How did they not become so incredibly fatigued and wilt down the stretch - as we've been accused/excused for doing so?  

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2015, 08:22:06 PM »
Derrick had a GREAT game tonight...by Derrick standards.  Yet he still hasn't made a midrange jump shot all year.  He's made exactly 7 baskets other than layups thus far for the season.  That's some pretty big holes in the game of a 34 minute per game player.

As for giving the underclassmen more minutes?  The message it sends is:  We are investing in our future, because the present isn't taking us anywhere.

Wojo and JJJ need to get on the same page.  Feel Wojo needs to see what he has in JJJ and tell him, I'm giving you a long leash.  Bust your ass in practice and in the games.  But - I'm going to see what you can do with 30 minutes.  Let the player know it going into a game.  JJJ's confidence is in the toilet right now.

I'm not entirely against this notion. My concern is what message that might send to future recruits. They could think "well, Wojo will be playing the young guys if MU isn't winning (for whatever reason) when i'm an upperclassmen, if i'm doing everything i can correctly. so, why should i go there?"

What are the long-term ramifications of that philosophy?

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2015, 08:23:08 PM »
The main difference between Blue and JJJ that a certain poster has conveniently forgotten is Blue played very good defense and JJJ not so much.

Maybe you missed this from Bama with regard to JJJ?:

True on offense - BUT he is our top steals guy (3.5% of opposing trips) and is one of the rate players in the country who is in the top 4% in the country in both steals AND avoiding fouling while doing it. Our defense still relies on steals (12th in the country as a team).

Our defense was ranked No. 1 in Big East play during those first three games with him playing 21 minutes a game, and has been way below conference average in the last four games with him playing only 10 minutes a game. Not denying the terrible offense, but the two things we do well on defense are steal the ball and contest 3 pointers, and I do think JJJ is a big asset on the defensive end.

Wojo'sMojo

• All American
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2015, 08:25:01 PM »
I'm not entirely against this notion. My concern is what message that might send to future recruits. They could think "well, Wojo will be playing the young guys if MU isn't winning (for whatever reason) when i'm an upperclassmen, if i'm doing everything i can correctly. so, why should i go there?"

It sends the message that mediocrity will not be tolerated at MU.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2015, 08:27:49 PM »

I'd say a far bigger risk is that in this immediate gratification society we live in - Other coaches will negative recruit MU/Wojo and say - "Look, you go to Marquette, you are going to ride the pine behind largely ineffective veterans."

A player can do everything they can, try to the best of their ability - but if they aren't getting it done on the floor, they don't deserve to be on the floor - at least not 35 minutes per game.

When the bench guys are Top 40-60 recruits, and they can get much of any time (or get yanked in and out with a few missed shots) that doesn't bode well to recruit/attract new kids into the program.