[Today at 07:54:34 PM]

Where is Marquette? by MU Fan in Connecticut
[Today at 07:52:45 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by MarquetteVol
[Today at 07:30:33 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Goose
[Today at 07:05:04 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Sacar Anim  (Read 160031 times)

HutchwasClutch

• All American
Re: Sacar Anim
« Reply #50 on: January 29, 2015, 07:51:56 PM »
Vander played D as a sophomore, often great D.

JJJ can't spell D.

It's not even close.

You know whose defense stunk last night - Duane, constantly getting beat off the dribble.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #51 on: January 29, 2015, 07:52:55 PM »
Ners, Ners, Ners. To say that you weren't ALL that impressed with Vander's game midway through sophomore year would be the understatement of the century. IIRC you hated his game.

That's not important, though. You think that Vander and JJJ are pretty much the same player at the same stage. Statistics and common sense say differently. I'm going to compare Vander's entire year to JJJ half year because I don't want to take the time to separate out his first 16 games of that year. Given the fact that the cupcake portion of our season is over and that JJJ's play is seriously trending down that's a big edge to JJJ but no matter. Let's see how they stack up:

Where JJJ has the edge:
1. Points per 40/minutes: 14.8 - 13.2.
2. Steals per 40/minutes:   2.2 - 1.8
3. FT%                         :  74.3 - 70.8

Where Vander has the edge:
1. Rebounds per 40/min.:  6.9  -  5.4
2. Assists per 40/minutes: 4.1  -  3.4
3. Turnovers per 40/min.:  3.4  -  4.8
4. Field Goal %               : 41.8 - 40.8
5. 3 Point %                   : 25.8 - 15.9
6. Assist/TO ratio            : 1.1/1- .7/1

Much, much more important than numbers, though, are the story that they tell about the player's basketball IQ and their willingness to play to their strengths. Vander was a bad 3 point shooter (25.8%). He knew it, his coach knew it, we all knew it. To his credit, he shot only 31 in 901 minutes, 1.37 per 40 minutes. JJJ is an epic bad 3 point shooter, much worse than Vander. Wojo knows it, we know it, but apparently JJJ doesn't. He's launched 44 in 379 minutes, 4.65 per 40 minutes. Incredible.

As a corollary, one thing Vander did pretty well (70.8%)and JJJ does even better (74.3%) is shoot free throws. Vander played to his strength, shooting 120 FTs in 901 minutes, 5.3/per 40. JJJ doesn't. He been to the line 35 times in 379 minutes, 3.7/per 40.

Vander was a smart player who knew his limitations and played accordingly. When you play smart, a coach is more likely to let you play through physical mistakes. JJJ roams the perimeter looking for shots he should never take when he should be driving the basketball to shoot lay ups and free throws. When you check out like that mentally chances for a long leash are nil. Until JJJ learns how to shoot he won't get many minutes being a chucker. And he shouldn't.

You missed one key category..."Sophomore Year Slap of Five Refusals:"

Vander - 1
JJJ - 0

Ergo JJJ is the better player.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #52 on: January 29, 2015, 08:45:35 PM »
Read up and watched highlights and interview with him.  It seems a lot of schools showing interest- Wisconsin, Creighton, Colorado, Minnesota, and some others, but none of those have offered yet.  I wonder what's up with that?  Supposedly an excellent defender.  I believe I read a coaches son too.  Sounds like an intriguing prospect, but don't get why high majors are hestitating still with offers?  The May signing period isn't that far off now.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #53 on: January 29, 2015, 08:47:21 PM »
Cool sounding name too - it's got some panache to it.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #54 on: January 29, 2015, 09:01:40 PM »
I don't see how we're not overwhelming favorites for him considering who else has offered.  UNI, sure good program, great record this year, but the quintessential mid-major.  Chance to play at a storied program, for a Coach K disciple and ex-player, and add to a consensus top 5 class?  Unless there are intangibles going on we don't know about, seems he's likely to be our guy if we're serious about him at all.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #55 on: January 29, 2015, 09:11:49 PM »
Definitely seems like Wojo is playing his cards close to the chest. Hasn't offered anybody recently. Buzz used to hand out offers like beads at Mardi Gras. Spray them everywhere and see who he could reel in. It seems Wojo is only going to offer if he knows for sure that this kid is the one he wants. High risk, high reward
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #56 on: January 29, 2015, 09:13:21 PM »
The May signing period isn't that far off now.

The regular signing period, for those who wish to use it, begins April 15. Not necessary, though.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #57 on: January 29, 2015, 09:14:26 PM »
The regular signing period, for those who wish to use it, begins April 15. Not necessary, though.

Forgot it gets going in April already, thanks.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #58 on: January 29, 2015, 09:15:21 PM »

Have you seen him play in person?  How many times?

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #59 on: January 29, 2015, 09:21:29 PM »
Have you seen him play in person?  How many times?

Yes; couldn't tell you other than "dozens"
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #60 on: January 29, 2015, 09:27:46 PM »
Yes; couldn't tell you other than "dozens"

Any ideas why the high majors seem slow to offer the kid?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #61 on: January 29, 2015, 11:59:19 PM »
Buzz used to hand out offers like beads at Mardi Gras.

Yeah, and I've heard amazing stories about what Satchel Pierce flashed Buzz after catching a strand of those bad boys.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #62 on: January 30, 2015, 07:36:08 AM »
Definitely seems like Wojo is playing his cards close to the chest. Hasn't offered anybody recently. Buzz used to hand out offers like beads at Mardi Gras. Spray them everywhere and see who he could reel in. It seems Wojo is only going to offer if he knows for sure that this kid is the one he wants. High risk, high reward

Many of Buzz's offers were also conditional or short time offers. The "if we don't get X you have an offer" or "you have an offer but have to decide in two days". Made it look like we had more offers out than we did.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #63 on: January 30, 2015, 09:43:04 AM »

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #64 on: January 30, 2015, 11:10:50 AM »

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #65 on: January 30, 2015, 11:21:13 AM »
I don't see how we're not overwhelming favorites for him considering who else has offered.  UNI, sure good program, great record this year, but the quintessential mid-major.  Chance to play at a storied program, for a Coach K disciple and ex-player, and add to a consensus top 5 class?  Unless there are intangibles going on we don't know about, seems he's likely to be our guy if we're serious about him at all.

While 247 may not have us as overwhelming favorites, Mark Miller picking Anim to Marquette makes me feel pretty confident that he'll end up here. Jay Bee will be the first to point out Crystal Ball should be used for entertainment purposes only, but Mark was correct on Sandy, Ahmed, Satchel, Shayok, Noskowiak, Heldt, Henry, and Cheatham. Every single time he predicted someone to Marquette, they went to Marquette. The decommits may have hurt his score, but he was right on all of them committing here.

The UNI predictions are all from May, before he was attracting high-major attention. Not sure why no one else has offered yet, but it may be that they are trying to get visits lined up first. FWIW, we also haven't offered yet, but given Miller's prediction, I expect we will soon and Anim will commit within a couple days of that.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #66 on: January 30, 2015, 12:58:19 PM »
While 247 may not have us as overwhelming favorites, Mark Miller picking Anim to Marquette makes me feel pretty confident that he'll end up here. Jay Bee will be the first to point out Crystal Ball should be used for entertainment purposes only, but Mark was correct on Sandy, Ahmed, Satchel, Shayok, Noskowiak, Heldt, Henry, and Cheatham. Every single time he predicted someone to Marquette, they went to Marquette. The decommits may have hurt his score, but he was right on all of them committing here.

The UNI predictions are all from May, before he was attracting high-major attention. Not sure why no one else has offered yet, but it may be that they are trying to get visits lined up first. FWIW, we also haven't offered yet, but given Miller's prediction, I expect we will soon and Anim will commit within a couple days of that.
Ahmed, Satchel And Marial were actually not decommitts as they signed NLIs with MU and were subsequently release.  So, Mark's score is still the same as guys cannot sign a new NLI.  They are like transfers in that respect.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #67 on: January 30, 2015, 01:10:27 PM »
Jerry Meyer has also predicted Anim to Marquette.  Maybe he's just copying Miller but things are definitely trending towards Marquette.  Like was posted above, Mark Miller hasn't missed yet when he predicts someone to Marquette.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #68 on: January 30, 2015, 01:12:38 PM »
Jerry Meyer has also predicted Anim to Marquette.  Maybe he's just copying Miller but things are definitely trending towards Marquette.  Like was posted above, Mark Miller hasn't missed yet when he predicts someone to Marquette.

There is no maybe about it.  Jerry is smart.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #69 on: January 30, 2015, 01:21:01 PM »
Ahmed, Satchel And Marial were actually not decommitts as they signed NLIs with MU and were subsequently release.  So, Mark's score is still the same as guys cannot sign a new NLI.  They are like transfers in that respect.

If you look at his profile, it has him as 3/8 on his 2014 predictions. 3 of those misses are Hill, Pierce, and Shayok.

VegasWarrior77

• All American
« Reply #70 on: January 30, 2015, 01:49:00 PM »
https://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1724234

Talent on display at Timberwolves Shootout
Eric Bossi - January 11, 2015
Rivals.com Basketball Recruiting Analyst

MINNEAPOLIS -- The Timberwolves Shootout hasn't always gotten the national media coverage of some other big winter events but, make no mistake, it is a quality event. At least 27 future NBA players have hit the floor of the Target Center during the event's history and there were more hopefuls on hand Saturday. Unsigned senior guard Sacar Anim showed that he has taken the next step while star power forward Henry Ellenson and touted four-star point guard Marcus LoVett each went for 39. Four-star shooting guard Gary Trent Jr. also impressed.

Anim and LoVett duel

In what was easily the best game of the day, Minneapolis (Minn.) DeLaSalle and Chicago (Ill.) Morgan Park locked up in a game that featured a couple of teams really going at it while a pair of unsigned seniors had big days. For victorious DeLaSalle, unsigned senior shooting guard Sacar Anim went for 31 points while Morgan Park's unsigned four-star point guard Marcus LoVet scored 39 entertaining points in a tough loss.

Since his team took home the win, we will begin with Anim. A 6-foot-4 shooting guard who has attracted mid major offers and growing high major interest, Anim was at his best when his team needed him the most.

Early on, Anim had to fight through foul trouble and managed 12 of his points despite playing relatively passively in the first half. In the second, Anim took over on both ends of the floor as he helped his team erase a double-digit deficit.

A good athlete with a college ready build, Anim does a little bit of everything. He rebounds, he plays good on the ball and team defense and he can help out handling the ball against pressure. He finished on strong drives to the basket, converted from the free throw line and knocked down jump shots when there were openings. Anim plays a similar style to a guy we've written about a lot this winter, Tyson Jolly from Oklahoma City (Okla.) Putnam City West.

"It's definitely been a big step for me as a player," Anim said. "I've put in the work for it and I know that everything that is happening for me with my game, I deserve it."

According to Anim, he has attracted offers from programs like South Dakota, South Dakota State, North Dakota, Furman, Rhode Island, Northern Iowa, Indiana State and Drake while Marquette, Miami and Northwestern have been sniffing around.
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #71 on: January 30, 2015, 02:09:25 PM »
If he can hit an open three, sign him up.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #72 on: January 30, 2015, 02:15:16 PM »
If he can hit an open three, sign him up.

His outside shooting is considered a weakness. More of a slasher that can hit the mid range shot than a sniper. I expect any sharpshooters added to come via transfer.

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #73 on: January 30, 2015, 02:35:21 PM »
His outside shooting is considered a weakness. More of a slasher that can hit the mid range shot than a sniper. I expect any sharpshooters added to come via transfer.

Sigh. We already have enough guys who can't stick a jumper. Does Steve Novak have any eligibility left?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #74 on: January 30, 2015, 02:39:00 PM »
Haanif and Henry are considered shooters. 

feedback