[April 22, 2024, 08:17:35 PM]

MU Alumni playing in European and Foreign Leagues Thread by mileskishnish72
[April 22, 2024, 04:17:36 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by WeAreMarquette96
[April 22, 2024, 01:49:31 PM]

[Paint Touches] Way-Too-Early roundup of MU rankings by tower912
[April 22, 2024, 01:29:28 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Will Wojo utilize zone defensive schemes after this year?  (Read 2493 times)

Da 'Lanche

• All American
Will Wojo utilize zone defensive schemes after this year?
« on: January 27, 2015, 07:06:55 PM »
I'm curious on thoughts from others on the subject.   Throughout the year most analysts have suggested (rightfully) that we are using zone defenses this year due to our roster size limitations (avoid man to man and potential foul trouble with only 8 in the rotation) and personnel match up issues (only 1 guy over 6'8 before Luke became eligible).    However, as the zone has evolved over the year…I kind of like it.    Both the extended 2/3 and the 1/3/1 have produced some great turns to the offense and in some games more turnovers than I would have expected.   Part of that is due to unfamiliarity (so many teams play man to man) and part due to just great zone defense (I love, for instance, seeing Sandy's length and Duane's quickness and athleticism).   We also get burned and the defense has been a mixed bag in some games.

Wojo comes from a fairly dominant man to man system in Duke and I wonder if he will revert to that preference when he has his own, full, roster.    I am hoping he keeps some zone schemes and we potentially switch and utilize multiple defensive sets, especially if we continue to upgrade the talent level.    I think it could really become a differentiator in the Big East.    I always wished Buzz had employed more zone or mixed sets as he had an eye for lengthy, athletic switchables.    I would have loved to see Jamil, for instance, on the point of the 1-3-1.     I am not suggesting a Syracuse-like zone commitment (although that has given many teams nightmares), but I also don't want to see it abandoned.

I have not seen nor read much from Wojo on his thoughts/preferences going forward and/or if he has come to believe and like it since he has utilized it this year.    If anyone has any insights or perspectives I would love to hear them.

I'm excited about where this program is going…just trying to understand Wojo's schemes/styles as we move forward fully under his stewardship and leadership.

Of course, maybe my perception of success with the zone is just that….my perception and the stats tell a different story of whether or not there is merit…and maybe I just like what I see because it is a bit different and I was tired of seeing guys continually burned on the back door cuts the last few years or out of position at key times in man defense…. but my eyes like what I see in many ways.

bilsu

• All American
Re: Will Wojo utilize zone defensive schemes after this year?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2015, 07:13:08 PM »
It really depends on whether we can play man to man defense. The beginning of the year, when we had more players Wojo tried having us play man to man. We were terrible at it. We also did not foul very much, so outside of protecting Fischer there is no need to play a zone to avoid fouling. We play a zone on this team, because that is what the team is good at. I suspect Haanif will be good at man to man, but I am not so sure about the other newcomers. I think Wojo will try to play man to man, but will end up playing zone again.

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2015, 07:15:38 PM »
Let's hope

tower912

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2015, 08:07:16 PM »
At heart, Wojo is a man-to-man coach.   If the players he assembles play man defense the best, MU will be a primarily man team.    Interestingly, K has gone zone over the last couple of games and it has worked, completely stifling Louisville.    Wojo will have the zones in his pocket if he needs them. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2015, 09:14:37 PM »
Very hard to defensively rebound out of either of those zones.  If you have a vastly superior rebounding team then I don't like the zone on any kind of consistent basis.  If future teams are not good rebounding teams, I can see it being employed quite a bit.  But if those teams can board, it should be limited.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2015, 10:53:27 PM »
A good portion of the limited roster gone replaced by freshmen and JUCOs. Yes, MU will play zone.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2015, 12:50:33 AM »
I think Wojo will recruit for a man to man defense. But I too have really liked our mix of zones. I think ideally we have a team that could pull out a different defense each game, depending on the matchup.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2015, 01:08:23 AM »
A few minutes of well executed zone can change a game.  It's also easier to fall back to a zone after full court pressure or a half court trap.

More importantly, where in the past I saw Brent's teams and the tan man's teams reacting to the other team's style of play, I see this Wojo team dictating the style of play more and more, and that starts with the defense, whether it's man or zone. 
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

Class71

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2015, 04:44:46 AM »
Bigger and more immediate question, will Wojo win tonight? I can not think about what may happen in a year at this point.
⛵⛵⛵⛵⛵