[Today at 10:40:35 AM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Galway Eagle
[Today at 10:35:41 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by PGsHeroes32
[Today at 10:14:22 AM]

Katz has MU in Final Four by Scoop Snoop
[Today at 09:51:44 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Maurice O'Field - 2015 - 6'5" SF from Midland College  (Read 72889 times)

WarriorFan

• All American
Re: Maurice O'Field - 2015 - 6'5" SF from Midland College
« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2015, 06:30:07 PM »
A thread about a potential recruit turns into accusations of racism.  Business as usual at Scoop.  Topical suggestions for keeping it going even longer:  MU football, the Warriors nickname, the effect of falling oil prices on the plight of the polar bear.

Anyone else have info on this kid?

I heard he lost to Derek in a pickup game...
Over to you Ners...
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2015, 08:25:06 PM »
Thanks Brew.  That's pretty much what my intuition was telling me.  I think Wojo likes the 10 he has but will add a player or two.  He'll be selective and look for a player that upgrades our roster, not just a flyer on a project.  He's looking at HS, Prep & JUCO, and will probably consider grad transfers as well.  Thinking a PG and a scoring wing, but they have to be legit BE players.  Would not be surprised to see one held over to 2016 to give us another schollie for that class besides Taylor's.

great point about the 10!  getting accustomed to playing 8 this year next years bench will seem like a luxury for Wojo.

also, as someone who would throw up their Irish heritage against anyone on this board.........NEVER suggest that being Irish has caused you any hardships.  Yes i've lived in the South - it's not in the same universe.

onepost

• All American
« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2015, 09:33:36 PM »
My dream is Nic Moore, if he ends up available as a senior transfer. He could be a rare All American transfer candidate. Him, Outlaw, and a sniper like Ricky Council would really help us turn things around quick.

Do we have any sort of background with Nic Moore? I remember watching him at Illinois State (grew up in Omaha and watched plenty of Creighton vs. ISU) and loved his game.  And he's been SMU's go-to guy ever since.  But Tim Jankovich left ISU to go to SMU so maybe even if Larry Brown gets in trouble he would still stick around for Jankovich.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2015, 11:05:50 PM »
Nic Moore probably isn't worth thinking about yet. Even more of a pipe dream than Marquette making the tournament this year. But if SMU gets probation, their players will likely have the option to transfer. Really just looking at tea leaves and hoping for a lucky break. Even if he did transfer, he'd have a long line of suitors.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2015, 09:23:06 AM »
Is it possible to stick to basketball?

No, not when others take time out to ridicule kids that we are talking about as potential recruits.  Aren't you really saying can't we just see players and recruits as things rather than as people?
« Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 09:29:26 AM by LittleWade »
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2015, 09:59:43 AM »
No, not when others take time out to ridicule kids that we are talking about as potential recruits.  Aren't you really saying can't we just see players and recruits as things rather than as people?

Jesus unnatural carnal knowledgeing christ. Hope your fall from that high horse knocks sense back (was it ever there?) into the brain.

Dude made a tired joke about an Irish surname on a black person. He wasn't ridiculing a kid, he wasn't de-humanizing him, he wasn't pulling some bullcrap post-colonial retribution. The only crime here is that it isn't funny.

By the way, Charles Barkley made the same joke about Kyle O'Quinn when that guy destroyed Mizzou in the NCAA Tournament a few years back. I'm sure you were just as faux-raged and sent a complaint letter to the FCC.

milwaukee ex-pat

• Starter
« Reply #31 on: January 28, 2015, 10:12:11 AM »
Jesus unnatural carnal knowledgeing christ. Hope your fall from that high horse knocks sense back (was it ever there?) into the brain.

Dude made a tired joke about an Irish surname on a black person. He wasn't ridiculing a kid, he wasn't de-humanizing him, he wasn't pulling some bullcrap post-colonial retribution. The only crime here is that it isn't funny.

By the way, Charles Barkley made the same joke about Kyle O'Quinn when that guy destroyed Mizzou in the NCAA Tournament a few years back. I'm sure you were just as faux-raged and sent a complaint letter to the FCC.

+1

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2015, 10:31:36 AM »

I can't speak for Murs, but I don't think there's any faux-rage or real rage here. Someone made a joke with innocent intent. Murs pointed out that it could be taken the wrong way by the recruit and could have a negative impact on him as a person. No rage, no accusations or racism, just pointing out that it wasn't an inclusive joke.

Question is, why do you and others have so much rage for a person who does that? Why get defensive? Wouldn't it be better to say "I hadn't thought of it that way, sorry, didn't mean it like that."?
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #33 on: January 28, 2015, 11:54:36 AM »
No rage, no accusations or racism, just pointing out that it wasn't an inclusive joke.

Question is, why do you and others have so much rage for a person who does that? Why get defensive? Wouldn't it be better to say "I hadn't thought of it that way, sorry, didn't mean it like that."?

It wasn't an "inclusive joke"? What, pray tell, is that? Comedy 101: every joke has a punch line and every punch line makes fun of someone. When it's your turn to be the butt of a joke (and everybody gets a turn) asking for a dispensation because of your race, religion, gender or political persuasion is ridiculous (see Jihadists vs Charlie Hebdot).

I'm anti redskin because a) it's a defined racial slur and b) it's not a joke. But coming down on people for a joke that lampoons an individual or group is silly - that's what jokes are supposed to do. They can be offensive, sure, but on the offense-o-meter Willie's barely registered. Sadly it also barely registered on the humor-o-meter.

TedBaxter

• All American
« Reply #34 on: January 28, 2015, 11:59:10 AM »
http://www.johnsoncitypress.com/article/108825/bartow-not-planning-on-having-fields

O'Field attended East Tennessee State as a freshman, but was not a member of the team and was in the hopes of qualifying before enrolling at Midland this fall.
If You Aren't All In For Marquette Basketball, Move On

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #35 on: January 28, 2015, 12:25:04 PM »
It wasn't an "inclusive joke"? What, pray tell, is that? Comedy 101: every joke has a punch line and every punch line makes fun of someone. When it's your turn to be the butt of a joke (and everybody gets a turn) asking for a dispensation because of your race, religion, gender or political persuasion is ridiculous (see Jihadists vs Charlie Hebdot).

I'm anti redskin because a) it's a defined racial slur and b) it's not a joke. But coming down on people for a joke that lampoons an individual or group is silly - that's what jokes are supposed to do. They can be offensive, sure, but on the offense-o-meter Willie's barely registered. Sadly it also barely registered on the humor-o-meter.

Did I ever say I was against the joke? All I'm against is Murs getting lampooned for pointing out that the joke could be considered offensive. Why is someone being offended such an offensive thing to you?
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #36 on: January 28, 2015, 12:34:42 PM »

What is really funny here is that when I was having fun with the name, I did not even realize the guy was black. It was simply an Irish name, and hence bringing out McGuire and Maurice bringing out "French Pastry". And even funnier are the people who get their noses out of joint trying to provide others with their idea of sensitivity training and US Cultural History. As Rodney King said, "Why can't we all just get along?" Sorry for offending anybody?
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #37 on: January 28, 2015, 08:34:22 PM »

TAMU Eagle is correct that I never said the joke was racist, I didn't.  What I tried to convey was that it was extremely insensitive.  Lampooning an individual or or group because their names reflect an ancestry that is contrary to their skin color is incredibly insensitive particularly when that individual and that group were forced to adopt those names by necessity when their actual ancestral names were taken from their ancestors under the worst possible conditions.  I'm disappointed that many here find it is so difficult to put themselves in the place of anyone who is in that situation.

I'm in complete agreement with you on the Jihadists vs Charlie Hebdot, but the humor was demonstrably different.  It wasn't parody.  It was mean humor because it ridiculed a large group of people due to a tragedy in their past that was not of their own making.  If the situation was of their own making, you'd have a legitimate subject for parody.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 08:47:46 PM by LittleWade »

No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #38 on: January 28, 2015, 08:45:11 PM »
What is really funny here is that when I was having fun with the name, I did not even realize the guy was black. It was simply an Irish name, and hence bringing out McGuire and Maurice bringing out "French Pastry". And even funnier are the people who get their noses out of joint trying to provide others with their idea of sensitivity training and US Cultural History. As Rodney King said, "Why can't we all just get along?" Sorry for offending anybody?

You really should read a thread's initial post, like the one in this thread in which you made your joke in the third post.  That post contained the following picture.

I guess you must have gotten the name from the thread title.

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #39 on: January 28, 2015, 09:19:09 PM »
this is all too PC for me.    lighten up     We take things too seriously. 

moomoo

• Team Captain
« Reply #40 on: February 07, 2015, 01:49:44 PM »
Brad Winton ‏@JucoRecruiting  55 minutes ago
Marquette is the latest school to get involved with Maurice O'Field (6'5/2015) from Midland College: http://www.jucorecruiting.com/maurice-ofield-midland-college-basketball#

Offers from Maryland,Arizona St,VA Tech & LA Tech
Interest from Marquette,Baylor,Gonzaga

He just said marquette was one of four teams recruiting him the hardest.
Silenzio. Parla il moomoo.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #41 on: February 07, 2015, 03:58:47 PM »
My dream is Nic Moore, if he ends up available as a senior transfer. He could be a rare All American transfer candidate. Him, Outlaw, and a sniper like Ricky Council would really help us turn things around quick.

My dream would to do most of this and have Diamond Stone get religion and come to Marquette.

LOL

VegasWarrior77

• All American
« Reply #42 on: February 08, 2015, 07:54:18 PM »
Jon Rothstein @JonRothstein  ·  11 hours ago
Not sure there's a PG less appreciated nationally than SMU's Nic Moore. Completely carved up Tulsa Saturday night. 23 and 7 dimes. 7-12 FGs.
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #43 on: February 08, 2015, 08:27:55 PM »
Jon Rothstein @JonRothstein  ·  11 hours ago
Not sure there's a PG less appreciated nationally than SMU's Nic Moore. Completely carved up Tulsa Saturday night. 23 and 7 dimes. 7-12 FGs.

A number of programs want Nic Moore right now.

As for O'Field, if he's from Midland then there is nothing not to like.   ;)

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #44 on: February 08, 2015, 08:31:26 PM »
A number of programs want Nic Moore right now.

As for O'Field, if he's from Midland then there is nothing not to like.   ;)

Has Nic Moore said he wants to transfer at the end of the season?

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #45 on: February 08, 2015, 08:35:36 PM »

There are rumblings....

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #46 on: February 08, 2015, 09:16:51 PM »

With SMU possibly facing probation, their entire team may be considering transferring. Anyone adding Moore is basically adding a one-year All-American level PG. While it's no given, his name will be in the rumor mill.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #47 on: February 09, 2015, 12:03:24 AM »

He just said marquette was one of four teams recruiting him the hardest.

Well, that frames it rather nicely. Once again, the moomoo has spoken!

Death on call

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #48 on: February 09, 2015, 09:53:17 AM »
With SMU possibly facing probation, their entire team may be considering transferring. Anyone adding Moore is basically adding a one-year All-American level PG. While it's no given, his name will be in the rumor mill.

Brew--is there any new info on SMU's probation?  I heard about this awhile back, but haven't heard of anything recently. 

Do you think that this is something that will happen with any certainty or is it just a possibility?

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #49 on: February 09, 2015, 10:00:27 AM »
Even if they go on probation, what makes you think Nic Moore will come to MU?  Sounds like a real long reach, but a good one if it could happen.  Make them a really good team next year.

feedback