'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Maurice O'Field - 2015 - 6'5" SF from Midland College  (Read 72893 times)

VegasWarrior77

• All American
Maurice O'Field - 2015 - 6'5" SF from Midland College
« on: January 27, 2015, 10:03:24 AM »
Brad Winton ‏@JucoRecruiting  55 minutes ago
Marquette is the latest school to get involved with Maurice O'Field (6'5/2015) from Midland College: http://www.jucorecruiting.com/maurice-ofield-midland-college-basketball#

Offers from Maryland,Arizona St,VA Tech & LA Tech
Interest from Marquette,Baylor,Gonzaga
« Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 10:12:10 AM by VegasWarrior77 »
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Maurice O'Field - 2015 - 6'5" SF from Midland College
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2015, 10:40:34 AM »
Winton tweeted about us being in on O'Field back in November, seems like an odd tweet to make now. Seems like a late-bloomer, but decent talent. Wouldn't put him as high on the priority list as someone like Deshawn Freeman or Tyrone Outlaw, but he'll be a good pickup for somebody in the next few months.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2015, 11:20:04 AM »
Winton tweeted about us being in on O'Field back in November, seems like an odd tweet to make now. Seems like a late-bloomer, but decent talent. Wouldn't put him as high on the priority list as someone like Deshawn Freeman or Tyrone Outlaw, but he'll be a good pickup for somebody in the next few months.
Maurice O'Field: a nice young man brought up with a heritage of French and Irish. Probably has McGuire French Pastry moves.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2015, 12:03:27 PM »
Maurice O'Field: a nice young man brought up with a heritage of French and Irish. Probably has McGuire French Pastry moves.

Since you often reference sixties music, I assume that you were around for the TV miniseries, Roots, in the late 70's.  One of the points made over the course of several nights was that a side effect of living on a continent that your ancestors were brought to in shackles after being kidnapped so that they could serve as slave labor was the loss of your ancestral family name.  When it was a crime for your ancestors to learn to read or write, much of your family history gets lost.  Many times you discover that your family name is the name of the plantation owners who enslaved your ancestors. 

Under these circumstances, having someone joke about your family name's origin being Northern European rather than African might be construed as them rubbing salt very deeply into an open wound.

I hope that I'm not upsetting you here by being too politically correct...
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2015, 12:13:53 PM »
Since you often reference sixties music, I assume that you were around for the TV miniseries, Roots, in the late 70's.  One of the points made over the course of several nights was that a side effect of living on a continent that your ancestors were brought to in shackles after being kidnapped so that they could serve as slave labor was the loss of your ancestral family name.  When it was a crime for your ancestors to learn to read or write, much of your family history gets lost.  Many times you discover that your family name is the name of the plantation owners who enslaved your ancestors. 

Under these circumstances, having someone joke about your family name's origin being Northern European rather than African might be construed as them rubbing salt very deeply into an open wound.

And you are being too politically correct. Having fun with a name here has nothing to do with slavery, kidnapping and all of the rest of the real and imagined sins some people still throw out there to remind us of how evil of a country we are.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2015, 12:54:58 PM »
And you are being too politically correct. Having fun with a name here has nothing to do with slavery, kidnapping and all of the rest of the real and imagined sins some people still throw out there to remind us of how evil of a country we are.

For you, it has nothing to do with it. For someone descended from former slaves. It has everything to do with everything
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2015, 01:05:30 PM »
For you, it has nothing to do with it. For someone descended from former slaves. It has everything to do with everything

Mr O'Field seems to be OK with his name - otherwise he would change it. But I'm sure he'll be grateful that you're offended on his behalf ;)

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2015, 01:08:36 PM »
Mr O'Field seems to be OK with his name - otherwise he would change it. But I'm sure he'll be grateful that you're offended on his behalf ;)

I'm sure he is just fine with it as well. But if a white person were to make fun of him for having a caucasian sounding last name, he would certainly have reason to be offended.
TAMU

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2015, 01:11:14 PM »

Lenny!  You realize a surname is not a user name, right?
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2015, 01:14:58 PM »
I'm sure he is just fine with it as well. But if a white person were to make fun of him for having a caucasian sounding last name, he would certainly have reason to be offended.

I suppose he could choose to be offended, but my guess is he would probably just roll his eyes at a not very funny or original joke that he's heard 100 times before.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2015, 01:19:22 PM »
A thread about a potential recruit turns into accusations of racism.  Business as usual at Scoop.  Topical suggestions for keeping it going even longer:  MU football, the Warriors nickname, the effect of falling oil prices on the plight of the polar bear.

Anyone else have info on this kid?

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2015, 01:46:27 PM »
No MU offer yet, though I don't think we've formally offered any of the JUCO kids we're in on unless there was a quiet offer to Outlaw last week. O'Field recently served a suspension on his team, not sure why. The Ohio native will have 3 years of eligibility. He went JUCO because he didn't get high major offers out of high school and it's clearly paying off.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2015, 01:47:36 PM »
Good.   MU clearly needs more JUCO switchables. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2015, 01:48:17 PM »
Only you would bring in "Caucasian sounding"--whatever the hell that is. Thank you for Sensitivity Training 101.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2015, 01:54:07 PM »
Good.   MU clearly needs more JUCO switchables.

I have a feeling O'Field will go elsewhere. Not that we don't have interest, just that he doesn't seem to be our top priority whereas others have been zeroed in on him for longer.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2015, 03:33:09 PM »
Only you would bring in "Caucasian sounding"--whatever the hell that is. Thank you for Sensitivity Training 101.

I didn't. You did. You said he was of french and irish heritage. Those are types of caucasians.

Look no one is accusing anyone of being racist. Murs was merely pointing out that would you said could be taken that way. We know that wasn't your intent. But innocent words can have devastating effects.
TAMU

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2015, 03:47:49 PM »
Brew-

Do you know who Wojo has zeroed in on or is he in more of an evaluation and relationship building phase?  I know O'Field, Outlaw, Council and Anim have been watched but have no idea who, if anyone, is a priority.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2015, 03:55:41 PM »
Brew-

Do you know who Wojo has zeroed in on or is he in more of an evaluation and relationship building phase?  I know O'Field, Outlaw, Council and Anim have been watched but have no idea who, if anyone, is a priority.

Honestly, I'm not sure. It seems like they are out watching a ton of guys, making a ton of calls, but no offers yet. With the JUCO guys, I think they really want to do their homework, considering some of the issues we had in the past with JUCOs. O'Field, Outlaw, and Shawn Smith (Outlaw's teammate) were all full qualifiers out of high school so it would likely make it easier to get them graduated in 2 years. I think that's a bigger priority for this regime than the past one. Quite a few names were were mentioned with briefly (Dillard, LoVett, Freeman) but haven't been talked about lately. I think they really want to do their homework on everyone they bring it. That was easier with the first batch of recruits, most of whom were local.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2015, 04:17:01 PM »
I didn't. You did. You said he was of french and irish heritage. Those are types of caucasians.

Look no one is accusing anyone of being racist. Murs was merely pointing out that would you said could be taken that way. We know that wasn't your intent. But innocent words can have devastating effects.
No you brought up the "Caucasian sounding". I don't think race like some others do. And I know that to some people innocent words can have a devastating effect. And I also know that there are a number of predators out there that use these things to raise a whole lot of hell over nothing. I guess everybody needs sensitivity training. This is a basketball forum and my reference was to Al McGuire and one of his Allisms. "French Pastry", and somebody takes offense to that by bringing up a whole lot of other trash? Nonsense!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Equalizer

• All American
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2015, 04:18:42 PM »
I have a feeling O'Field will go elsewhere. Not that we don't have interest, just that he doesn't seem to be our top priority whereas others have been zeroed in on him for longer.

Well, that, and we made fun of his caucasian sounding name.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2015, 04:23:51 PM »
Thanks Brew.  That's pretty much what my intuition was telling me.  I think Wojo likes the 10 he has but will add a player or two.  He'll be selective and look for a player that upgrades our roster, not just a flyer on a project.  He's looking at HS, Prep & JUCO, and will probably consider grad transfers as well.  Thinking a PG and a scoring wing, but they have to be legit BE players.  Would not be surprised to see one held over to 2016 to give us another schollie for that class besides Taylor's.

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2015, 04:45:23 PM »

Actually, many thousands of Irish were sent to the New World as slaves and indentured servants early on. Ever wonder why people on Montserrat speak with a heavy brogue? They didn't fare well in the warmer climes so Africans  became the mainstay of the slave trade.
Slavery is despicable and I can't believe why it is allowed to continue to this day

onepost

• All American
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2015, 05:08:36 PM »
Thanks Brew.  That's pretty much what my intuition was telling me.  I think Wojo likes the 10 he has but will add a player or two.  He'll be selective and look for a player that upgrades our roster, not just a flyer on a project.  He's looking at HS, Prep & JUCO, and will probably consider grad transfers as well.  Thinking a PG and a scoring wing, but they have to be legit BE players.  Would not be surprised to see one held over to 2016 to give us another schollie for that class besides Taylor's.

I agree with you on who to bring in.  We hopefully snag 2 guys (HS, JUCO, Grad Transfer) this year: an experienced PG and a scoring wing like Tyrone Outlaw.  Maybe keep closer tabs on Sacar Anim in case things with Noskowiak go south (I'm not starting rumors or insinuating anything).  But I'd hope we can have 2 scholarships for 2016 as well.  Maybe 3 if we do bring in a 1-year grad transfer.  On that desired short list would be Sam Hauser, Cassius Winston, Amir Coffey.

Class71

• All American
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2015, 06:25:37 PM »

Is it possible to stick to basketball?
⛵⛵⛵⛵⛵

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2015, 06:28:04 PM »
I agree with you on who to bring in.  We hopefully snag 2 guys (HS, JUCO, Grad Transfer) this year: an experienced PG and a scoring wing like Tyrone Outlaw.  Maybe keep closer tabs on Sacar Anim in case things with Noskowiak go south (I'm not starting rumors or insinuating anything).  But I'd hope we can have 2 scholarships for 2016 as well.  Maybe 3 if we do bring in a 1-year grad transfer.  On that desired short list would be Sam Hauser, Cassius Winston, Amir Coffey.

My dream is Nic Moore, if he ends up available as a senior transfer. He could be a rare All American transfer candidate. Him, Outlaw, and a sniper like Ricky Council would really help us turn things around quick.