'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Big East 2024 Offseason by WeAreMarquette96
[Today at 12:19:59 PM]

MU Gear by Hards Alumni
[Today at 12:18:52 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by TSmith34, Inc.
[Today at 11:59:39 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by wadesworld
[Today at 11:55:22 AM]

Maximilian Langenfeld by tower912
[Today at 10:36:41 AM]

Shaka 2024-2025 by wadesworld
[Today at 09:00:02 AM]

Academic All Americans by Goose
[Today at 08:52:43 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Maurice O'Field - 2015 - 6'5" SF from Midland College  (Read 73209 times)

NotAnAlum

• All American
Re: Maurice O'Field - 2015 - 6'5" SF from Midland College
« Reply #150 on: February 20, 2015, 08:40:02 AM »
I was actually starting to think they were the same guy.

I also saw somewhere that the top rated recruits are now ranking the absence of rookie coaching mistakes as one of the top 3 reasons to chose a program.  It ranked behind "NBA connections" but ahead of "immediate playing time".
;D

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #151 on: February 20, 2015, 08:43:42 AM »
I like that O'Field has 3 yrs of eligibility.  Help balance the classes.  O'Field and Anim would gives us plenty of wings with Cohen, JJJ, Cheatham, Wally and even Duane in the mix.  Still gotta add at least one more PG, if not two.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #152 on: February 20, 2015, 08:50:07 AM »
Seriously? I've been concerned about that whole situation for months.

Okay, the NN situation came out of nowhere months ago.  I'm assuming that you weren't concerned about this back when Wojo recruited him.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #153 on: February 20, 2015, 08:51:51 AM »
If it makes you feel better, TW isn't really a fan of Marquette basketball.  He is a guy with an agenda.  One that Ners has fallen for hook, line and sinker.

That is why neither is terribly reputable at this point and rightfully should be ignored banned.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #154 on: February 20, 2015, 08:54:08 AM »
Okay, the NN situation came out of nowhere months ago.  I'm assuming that you weren't concerned about this back when Wojo recruited him.

Correct

UticaBusBarn

• Team Captain
« Reply #155 on: February 20, 2015, 09:15:43 AM »
As you point ou, Wojo now has to recruit based on his performance and new reputation. I think it will be far more difficult given his array of rookie mistakes.

Tex West, given your keen insight into the sport of basketball, could you be so kind as to help enlighten those of us who are casual fans as to, "his array of rookie mistakes"? Thank you.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #156 on: February 20, 2015, 10:47:59 AM »
I like that O'Field has 3 yrs of eligibility.  Help balance the classes.  O'Field and Anim would gives us plenty of wings with Cohen, JJJ, Cheatham, Wally and even Duane in the mix.  Still gotta add at least one more PG, if not two.
If we had all those guys, that is too many wings, leading to discontent with playing time. 80 minutes between 7guys is not enough PT for several and is over recruiting IMO.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #157 on: February 20, 2015, 11:09:48 AM »
If we had all those guys, that is too many wings, leading to discontent with playing time. 80 minutes between 7guys is not enough PT for several and is over recruiting IMO.
Are you ever happy with anything?  Or is being hyper-critical of everything just your nature?

Earl Tatum

• All American
« Reply #158 on: February 20, 2015, 11:30:59 AM »
He is not a stud point guard. TRACI CARTER

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #159 on: February 20, 2015, 12:29:57 PM »

No reason we can't add both.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #160 on: February 20, 2015, 12:56:26 PM »

Wally can play some 4 in a small lineup; Duane and Haanif can both help at PG.  Maybe Wally never gets off the bench.  Got to add bodies and let the cream rise to the top.  Maybe Anim doesn't play much as a frosh but starts by his junior year.  Maybe he's another Jerel McNeal and starts for 4 years.  Maybe Cohen or JJJ get hurt. Maybe one of them develops and beats out O'Field or maybe O'Field starts right away.  Maybe somebody transfers.  Maybe we only land one of Anim or O'Field.  Who knows.  Got 13 schollies, keep adding good players, it will work itself out.

Traci Carter would be a great PG to add.  A grad transfer PG with Carter off the bench would be my wish.  Then Carter starts soph year unless Duane or Haanif beat himout or Wojo adds a stud PG in 2016.  If we miss out on guys watch the transfer market.  Is it wrong to dream of Riley LaChance transferring from Vanderbilt?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #161 on: February 20, 2015, 01:00:30 PM »
Wally can play some 4 in a small lineup; Duane and Haanif can both help at PG.  Maybe Wally never gets off the bench.  Got to add bodies and let the cream rise to the top.  Maybe Anim doesn't play much as a frosh but starts by his junior year.  Maybe he's another Jerel McNeal and starts for 4 years.  Maybe Cohen or JJJ get hurt. Maybe one of them develops and beats out O'Field or maybe O'Field starts right away.  Maybe somebody transfers.  Maybe we only land one of Anim or O'Field.  Who knows.  Got 13 schollies, keep adding good players, it will work itself out.

I agree with all of this. You recruit good players and good athletes who can handle the academics. The rest will sort itself out. Yeah, you need a few guys with height, which we have coming in, and you'd like to bring in a PG every year. And I do wish we'd add one or two guys who can flat-out shoot.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #162 on: February 20, 2015, 01:02:10 PM »

Earl's randomness might be one of my favorite Scoop memes. 

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #163 on: February 20, 2015, 01:05:54 PM »
Since you often reference sixties music, I assume that you were around for the TV miniseries, Roots, in the late 70's.  One of the points made over the course of several nights was that a side effect of living on a continent that your ancestors were brought to in shackles after being kidnapped so that they could serve as slave labor was the loss of your ancestral family name.  When it was a crime for your ancestors to learn to read or write, much of your family history gets lost.  Many times you discover that your family name is the name of the plantation owners who enslaved your ancestors.  

Under these circumstances, having someone joke about your family name's origin being Northern European rather than African might be construed as them rubbing salt very deeply into an open wound.

I hope that I'm not upsetting you here by being too politically correct...
You're kidding, right?  Making McGuire references about a kid's name is racist?  Really?

I understand issues with REAL racism, but this?
« Last Edit: February 20, 2015, 01:27:46 PM by Ellenson for an mu-rara »

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #164 on: February 20, 2015, 01:16:11 PM »

Traci Carter would be a great PG to add.  A grad transfer PG with Carter off the bench would be my wish.  Then Carter starts soph year unless Duane or Haanif beat himout or Wojo adds a stud PG in 2016.  If we miss out on guys watch the transfer market.  Is it wrong to dream of Riley LaChance transferring from Vanderbilt?

Yes.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #165 on: February 20, 2015, 01:25:43 PM »
Are you ever happy with anything?  Or is being hyper-critical of everything just your nature?
Man you must have a complex. How is that being hyper-critical? Only in your world? Having 7 wings does not make sense, IMO. Are you ever happy just accepting  a simple statement, or are you hyper critical?

Oh wait, I get it, you are my post stalker, lurking to jump at each chance.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #166 on: February 20, 2015, 01:42:42 PM »
Man you must have a complex. How is that being hyper-critical? Only in your world? Having 7 wings does not make sense, IMO. Are you ever happy just accepting  a simple statement, or are you hyper critical?

Okay...then what would you do with the scholarships? Having 7 wings would leave you with 6 open scholarships. In a perfectly balanced world, that's 3 point guards and 3 centers. Personally, I think that would actually be perfect balance. I understand that we likely won't end up with 3 PGs and 3 Cs, but I also don't think it will be as simple as plugging 7 guys into 60 minutes. The reality is of those 7, the top 4-5 will get significant minutes come conference time. Every program with all scholarships filled has 3-4 guys at the end of the bench who don't play much. Some of those guys will be wings.

Do the math, get to 13, and tell me how Wojo should better deploy his scholarships.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #167 on: February 20, 2015, 01:43:01 PM »
Man you must have a complex. How is that being hyper-critical? Only in your world? Having 7 wings does not make sense, IMO. Are you ever happy just accepting  a simple statement, or are you hyper critical?

Because it is false.  We don't have "too many wings."  

In basketball these days four of those players can be on the floor at any given time. (If you believe that Duane is going to AT LEAST get spot time at point.)  Furthermore, we aren't going to be running 13 player rotations.  More than one player isn't going to be playing in certain games.

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #168 on: February 20, 2015, 03:42:29 PM »
Agree with Willie, too many wings can lead to discontented players.  Would like to see balance with bigs, shooters ,point guards and wings.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2015, 03:44:12 PM by Stretchdeltsig »

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #169 on: February 20, 2015, 03:48:55 PM »
Agree with Willie, too many wings can lead to discontented players.  Would like to see balance with bigs, shooters ,point guards and wings.

Personally, I'm getting a little tired of the over-sensitivity in regards to hurting players feelings or them becoming discontent.  Get the best players you can and if guys lose playing time they can either improve or leave. 

Agree completely on ideally having a balanced roster but I'd rather bring in more talent than a less talented player who might be a better positional fit.   

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #170 on: February 20, 2015, 03:54:03 PM »

First, shooters are wings. Next year most likely Cohen, Jajuan, Cheatham, and Wally will be competing for similar minutes (among others).

Second, I pose the same question to you I do to willie. How would you balance the scholarships? 7 wings, 3 point guards, 3 centers seems like a pretty good mix to me. That would mean adding 2 PGs and 1 C with our remaining 4 scholarships. Would you rather 4 PGs, 4 Cs, and 5 wings? Then you have 4 guys competing for 40 mpg at PG, 4 guys competing for 40 mpg at C, and 5 guys competing for 120 minutes at the wing positions.

What is the best balance of scholarships?

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #171 on: February 20, 2015, 04:10:02 PM »
First, shooters are wings. Next year most likely Cohen, Jajuan, Cheatham, and Wally will be competing for similar minutes (among others).

Second, I pose the same question to you I do to willie. How would you balance the scholarships? 7 wings, 3 point guards, 3 centers seems like a pretty good mix to me. That would mean adding 2 PGs and 1 C with our remaining 4 scholarships. Would you rather 4 PGs, 4 Cs, and 5 wings? Then you have 4 guys competing for 40 mpg at PG, 4 guys competing for 40 mpg at C, and 5 guys competing for 120 minutes at the wing positions.

What is the best balance of scholarships?

So this question wasn't posed to me but I personally would love a roster like the one below, although it is probably a pipe dream and is getting too detailed.  This is also with the thought that you are obviously not going to have a 13 man rotation. 

2 pure PGs
2 combo guards (more of a 2 but can play the 1 effectively if necessary)
3 wings (can play the 2 or the 3)
2 bigger wings (can play the 3 or the 4)
2 PFs (preferably one is a stretch 4 and could play the 5 in a smaller lineup and preferably at least one is great rebounder)
2 centers

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #172 on: February 20, 2015, 04:16:57 PM »
I view wings as being 6'4 to 6'6 guys that play the 2/3 .......JJ. Is a wing but you wouldn't want him to have to guard 4s......ditto for Sandy and Cheatham.

2 centers
1 4/5
 3 3/4
3 2/3
2 1/2
2 pgs

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #173 on: February 20, 2015, 04:20:44 PM »
Personally, I'm getting a little tired of the over-sensitivity in regards to hurting players feelings or them becoming discontent.  Get the best players you can and if guys lose playing time they can either improve or leave. 

Agree completely on ideally having a balanced roster but I'd rather bring in more talent than a less talented player who might be a better positional fit.   

Somebody gets it.  If your feelings are too hurt to get mad, get in the gym, and get better rather than take your ball and go home, we're better off without you in the long run anyway.

Get tough Warriors.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #174 on: February 20, 2015, 04:45:18 PM »
2 pure PGs
2 combo guards (more of a 2 but can play the 1 effectively if necessary)
3 wings (can play the 2 or the 3)
2 bigger wings (can play the 3 or the 4)
2 PFs (preferably one is a stretch 4 and could play the 5 in a smaller lineup and preferably at least one is great rebounder)
2 centers

This looks like a good, more specific template. Looking at next year, we have 9 scholarships filled...

2 pure PGs: NONE
2 Combo Guards: Duane Wilson & Haanif Cheatham
3 Wings: Jajuan Johnson, Sandy Cohen
2 Bigger Wings: Henry Ellenson, Wally Ellenson
2 PFs: Steve Taylor
2 Centers: Luke Fischer, Matt Heldt

So with 9/13 scholarships filled, we could use 2 true PGs, 1 wing, and 1 PF. Based on our interest, it seems like maybe O'Field would be a combo guard or wing and Anim definitely a wing. Still need a couple point guards (Carter & Miller, maybe?) and a PF (rather than O'Field/Anim?) to get full balance, but I'd say that a roster that was 1-2 players off ideal is still pretty darn good.

2 centers
1 4/5
 3 3/4
3 2/3
2 1/2
2 pgs

Applying your template:

2 centers: Fischer & Heldt
1 4/5: Steve?
3 3/4: Wally & Henry
3 2/3: Sandy, Jajuan
2 1/2: Duane, Cheatham
2 PGs: NONE

Based on that template, Anim would fill the 2/3 and maybe O'Field could fill the 3/4? He can at least get rebounds, though seems like more of a slasher to me. Still need 2 true PGs, but again, pretty close to balanced I'd say.

The roster clearly isn't finished with 4 scholarships in play, but I think this is a pretty darn balanced roster, and would say both of your templates look both solid as well as what the staff is basically working toward.