'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 12:10:57 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:01:08 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Governor Walker to Unveil Arena Plan Tomorrow  (Read 30831 times)

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
Re: Governor Walker to Unveil Arena Plan Tomorrow
« Reply #100 on: March 06, 2015, 02:56:37 PM »
How the heck can they charge visiting nba players with income tax?  That just seems impossible...

NBA players (and all athletes) have to pay taxes in every state they play in.

The theory that they hang their hat on is that the income is earned in Wisconsin when the games are played in Wisconsin regardless of where the employer is located.  If you think about it, it's not different than paying Illinois state income tax when you live in Kenosha, but work in Illinois.  The result is that typically an NBA player pays state income tax to his home state on half his income (home games) while paying income tax to other states on the other half of his income. 
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #101 on: March 06, 2015, 03:46:54 PM »
The theory that they hang their hat on is that the income is earned in Wisconsin when the games are played in Wisconsin regardless of where the employer is located.  If you think about it, it's not different than paying Illinois state income tax when you live in Kenosha, but work in Illinois.  The result is that typically an NBA player pays state income tax to his home state on half his income (home games) while paying income tax to other states on the other half of his income. 

Except if I live in Wisconsin, work in Illinois, but travel to Ohio for business for a week, I usually don't pay Ohio state income tax for the week in question.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #102 on: March 06, 2015, 04:00:41 PM »
I think I read somewhere that not only will we get increased player salaries, but the Bucks were expanding the front office to include more people. This more salaries for 41 games.

Carl Spackler

• Starter
« Reply #103 on: March 06, 2015, 04:07:11 PM »

Except if I live in Wisconsin, work in Illinois, but travel to Ohio for business for a week, I usually don't pay Ohio state income tax for the week in question.

there is  typically a threshold number of days per year you can be out of your home state without paying tax.  if you cross that threshold, you will.  

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #104 on: March 06, 2015, 04:17:01 PM »

nm
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #105 on: March 06, 2015, 06:08:56 PM »

False.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #106 on: March 06, 2015, 07:12:41 PM »
False.

Well, not really. Pro athletes pay income tax in just about every state they play in. Pro athletes are a night,are for tax accountants. You might want to check it out before you claim false.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #107 on: March 06, 2015, 11:17:37 PM »
I believe JB is referring to states with no income tax...that also have NBA franchises. There's 7 states without income tax, but I think only Texas, and Florida have NBA teams.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #108 on: March 06, 2015, 11:26:14 PM »
I believe JB is referring to states with no income tax...that also have NBA franchises. There's 7 states without income tax, but I think only Texas, and Florida have NBA teams.

Except JB would still be wrong then.  They do pay state income taxes when they play in those states.  The amount is simply $0.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #109 on: March 07, 2015, 12:07:45 AM »

Grizzlies (Tennessee) as well.  Wonder how nice it felt to be a player who made the transition from Vancouver to Memphis back in the day between taxes and cost of living.

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #110 on: March 07, 2015, 08:16:19 AM »
Grizzlies (Tennessee) as well.  Wonder how nice it felt to be a player who made the transition from Vancouver to Memphis back in the day between taxes and cost of living.

Going from Vancouver to Memphis? Yeah, really nice.  ::)

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #111 on: March 07, 2015, 09:48:35 AM »

Again, this is false.

False.

You are correct, sir!

Well, not really. Pro athletes pay income tax in just about every state they play in. Pro athletes are a night,are for tax accountants. You might want to check it out before you claim false.

So.. when you say, 'not really' but follow it with 'just about every state' instead of 'every state', aren't you really say, "yes, sir, you are correct"???

"Pro athletes are a night, are for tax accountants." -- Even as a CPA and someone who is fluent in ebonics, I have no idea what you're trying to say. I have "checked it out" plenty. You can have a different opinion than me (although you're actually agreeing with me) and talk jibberish, but you will be wrong.

There's actually far more false than the original claim. It's false on many points. (Including the "all athletes" claim, which I interpreted to mean all professional athletes, but is still false.)

Except JB would still be wrong then.  They do pay state income taxes when they play in those states.  The amount is simply $0.

OK, buddy. Good grief.

Now we're getting somewhere... Tennessee brings out an interest example. There still is a jock tax (in the form that is essentially a flat fee... that went to the owners vs. the gov't... bizarre) for visiting NBA players... but in the NHL, it's a different story. NBA will get there in a couple of years, but they have different rules applied to their players as compared to the NHL players this year.

One key lesson for you dummies disagreeing with me is that there are many different taxing jurisdictions in this country. Understanding this lesson may help you from making / assuming / accepting nonsense claims about taxation on large groups.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

feedback